• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Packers regular season thread

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A win is a win... but with Stafford that game is much more difficult to win if they do win... Rypien looked like backup QB. But a win is a win in the NFL and injuries happen... Packers have dealth with quite a few this year.

Packers 7 penalties in 1st half... think only 1 in 2nd half. Runyon twice lined up in "neutral zone" and Gary 1 time lined up offsides, Reed had a false start, Wyatt lined up offside that was declined... so lots of pre-snap penalties again.

Defense won this game... but helped with the LAR QB situation... but they did respond. Lots of rookies making some plays today... Brooks, Wooden, Valentine, Johnson, Van Ness on defense.

I really like Musgrave at TE.

Hopefully this carries over and team grows with the W.

Next 4 games competition definitely gets more difficult... @Pitt, LAC, @Det, KC.

Those presnap penalties are just mind boggling to me. I get the Runyan offsides as I'm sure that's how they practiced it, but if they call it the first time wouldn't you make an adjustment? The others are just lack of focus, which is just stupid...1 or 2 could "happen" but 5? That's how you beat yourself

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those presnap penalties are just mind boggling to me. I get the Runyan offsides as I'm sure that's how they practiced it, but if they call it the first time wouldn't you make an adjustment? The others are just lack of focus, which is just stupid...1 or 2 could "happen" but 5? That's how you beat yourself

Relooked at 1st one on NFL gamepass... Runyan´s head is definitely a little bit over the ball.

Jon Runyan´s comments:
Packers guard Jon Runyan stunned at offside penalties: ‘That’s how I’ve been lining up on short yardage my whole life’

Referee Clete Blakeman said the penalty was on left tackle Yosh Nijman. Runyan peered up at the big video board inside Lambeau Field and saw nothing peculiar. It looked like any other formation for a quarterback sneak on fourth-and-short.

What Runyan never realized was the penalty was actually on him.

“I knew they had to call it on someone,” Runyan said. “Of course, they had to call it on me. I feel like everybody was lined up the same. I asked for an explanation and couldn’t get one, so that just made me more mad.

“They said that my head was lined up in the neutral zone,” Runyan said. “The back tip of the football, not even the front tip of the football. So Josh (Myers) is holding the ball, and the tip closest to (the center), they said I was over that. I didn’t even know that was a rule. That’s how I’ve been lining up on short yardage my whole life. So I guess that’s what the league is trying to do to stop the quarterback sneaks now, for whatever reason.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing I did see today is they competed their asses off. That stated, they really do some of the dumbest shit you can do. The stuff they teach you the first day they issue you pads, like how to line up, focus on the snap count, be where you're supposed to be when you're supposed to be there. All of those things they continue to make mistakes with, and to me that is unacceptable. I understand they're young and there will be growing pains and they will get beat, but doing things to make it easy on your opponent to beat you just don't make any sense to me. Beating yourself with those mistakes is basically unacceptable in my book. They're paid professionals and need to accept that and act that role.
No doubt. As professionals, and the money they are making, you would expect them to perform at their highest level. Maybe some are sand bagging, maybe some are giving their all, maybe some are disgruntled. Hard to say exactly. A few things to keep in mind; talent, football smart and coaching. Every team in the NFL has talent. Question is...what level of talent? In the NFL, i dont think there is a huge gap between talent, but every player is not on the same level. Thats where i think the second thing comes into play, football smart. Give me a athlete that is not a gym rat but what he lacks in physical ability he makes up for with being in the right place at the right time consistently than a knuckle dragger who is dumb as dirt and relies on talent alone. Lastly, and just as important is coaching. We know that coaches, like players, are not all the same. Me personally, when Mr. Kevin Greene was coaching the linebackers, he had that unit flying around making plays at a high level. GB needs a defense that will play smart for 60 minutes relentlessly.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt. As professionals, and the money they are making, you would expect them to perform at their highest level. Maybe some are sand bagging, maybe some are giving their all, maybe some are disgruntled. Hard to say exactly. A few things to keep in mind; talent, football smart and coaching. Every team in the NFL has talent. Question is...what level of talent? In the NFL, i dont think there is a huge gap between talent, but every player is not on the same level.

I do not think there are any Packers not giving it there all... they are playing for their jobs. Their play goes on tape for all to see... they are constantly being evaluated.

Any job I have ever had the first year was most difficult and when I learned the most... after the first year could see how much I learned and it became much easier. The NFL is no different... nearly everyone comments just how much faster the play is at the NFL level in comparison to college. And in the NFL they say the biggest jump they see in players is their 1st to 2nd year... and then another jump in 2nd to 3rd year.

Packers have 27 players (17 1st year and 10 2nd year) on their 53 man roster presently. That is a lot of youth and learning. I do not recall a Packers team so young in the past. Then add on the pactice squad and 16 of 17 are 1st or 2nd year as well.... even more learning.

All that youth and learning is more stress on the coaching staff.

Every team does have talent, but also depends where that talent is... and no position is more important that the QB. At this point still uncertain of the talent level of Love... with last 5-6 games it is definitely raising more questions. Hopefully see much more improvement going into 2nd half of season.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not think there are any Packers not giving it there all... they are playing for their jobs. Their play goes on tape for all to see... they are constantly being evaluated.

Any job I have ever had the first year was most difficult and when I learned the most... after the first year could see how much I learned and it became much easier. The NFL is no different... nearly everyone comments just how much faster the play is at the NFL level in comparison to college. And in the NFL they say the biggest jump they see in players is their 1st to 2nd year... and then another jump in 2nd to 3rd year.

Packers have 27 players (17 1st year and 10 2nd year) on their 53 man roster presently. That is a lot of youth and learning. I do not recall a Packers team so young in the past. Then add on the pactice squad and 16 of 17 are 1st or 2nd year as well.... even more learning.

All that youth and learning is more stress on the coaching staff.

Every team does have talent, but also depends where that talent is... and no position is more important that the QB. At this point still uncertain of the talent level of Love... with last 5-6 games it is definitely raising more questions. Hopefully see much more improvement going into 2nd half of season.
You have more belief in people than i do. Thats why i threw it out there. You just dont know what is going thru a players head so...You have a valid point about the teams youth. You can put most of the penalties and mistakes squarely on it. The QB position is the most important but doesnt have to be played by a HOFamer. Several teams over the years have proven that. Teams like the Ravens won it with an outstanding defense and a qb that managed the game. Nowadays it seems rare to have both a lights out offense and defense. Its either one or the other.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While a W would be nice...what I'd really like to see is improvement from this team on O...especially on O...like clean up the mental mistakes

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might be wrong, but Berry needs to go for sure. When the opponents QB is Pickett and Rypein in consecutive weeks and they're both able to run the ball very effectively, that tells me he's not doing his job. You need to pick your poison, and he chooses the deadlier one every time. He really needs to learn the phrase, "would you like fries with that" and never be allowed back in a NFL coaches room.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might be wrong, but Berry needs to go for sure. When the opponents QB is Pickett and Rypein in consecutive weeks and they're both able to run the ball very effectively, that tells me he's not doing his job. You need to pick your poison, and he chooses the deadlier one every time. He really needs to learn the phrase, "would you like fries with that" and never be allowed back in a NFL coaches room.

Well... Rams last week had 68 yards rushing and 2.7 yards per rush. But yeah... your point overall for this defense is still somewhat valid that our rush defense is horrible.... so frustrating Packers, today gave up 207 yards and 5.7 yards/carry is very pathetic.

If the Packers finish under 500 which I suspect is very high probability now, Joe Barry is gone.

MLF and Gutey are safe this year IMO... but if Love does not progress Gutey is gone after next year, his name is attached to that draft pick.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well... Rams last week had 68 yards rushing and 2.7 yards per rush. But yeah... your point overall for this defense is still somewhat valid that our rush defense is horrible.... so frustrating Packers, today gave up 207 yards and 5.7 yards/carry is very pathetic.

If the Packers finish under 500 which I suspect is very high probability now, Joe Barry is gone.

MLF and Gutey are safe this year IMO... but if Love does not progress Gutey is gone after next year, his name is attached to that draft pick.
I believe there have been multiple bad decisions in the front office and its showing on the field despite the youth of this team. The defense should be leading, but the only thing they are doing is showing inconsistency week in and week out. GB needs to find a DC that will not only have them playing smart but motivate them to excel. That's not happening with Barry.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...Six total losses
- four of them were to mediocre teams by four points or less
- the two > 4 were by to two teams pushing for a playoff berth

That's really not that bad considering...
- this is the QB's first year as a starter
- every WR on the roster is in their first or second year in the NFL
- the centerpiece of the offense has been injured most of the year (A. Jones)
- the QB of the defense has been injured half the year (D. Campbell)
- the #1 shut-down CB has been injured most of the year (J. Alexander)
- the #2 CB has been injured the whole year (E. Stokes)
- the team has repeatedly buried themselves with mistakes at critical times in games
- the offensive line has performed much more poorly than expected
- the team has been outscored 49-108 in the first half of games - including five games of scoring 3 points or less - and only have a -3 total point differential on the season

So much doom and gloom here. Yeah, we'd like to see better results, but it's not like the cupboard is bare. Get some key guys back at full strength and clean up some mistakes and this team is still plenty capable of beating 75% of the league.

1699971828156.png

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...Six total losses
- four of them were to mediocre teams by four points or less
- the two > 4 were by to two teams pushing for a playoff berth

That's really not that bad considering...
- this is the QB's first year as a starter
- every WR on the roster is in their first or second year in the NFL
- the centerpiece of the offense has been injured most of the year (A. Jones)
- the QB of the defense has been injured half the year (D. Campbell)
- the #1 shut-down CB has been injured most of the year (J. Alexander)
- the #2 CB has been injured the whole year (E. Stokes)
- the team has repeatedly buried themselves with mistakes at critical times in games
- the offensive line has performed much more poorly than expected
- the team has been outscored 49-108 in the first half of games - including five games of scoring 3 points or less - and only have a -3 total point differential on the season

So much doom and gloom here. Yeah, we'd like to see better results, but it's not like the cupboard is bare. Get some key guys back at full strength and clean up some mistakes and this team is still plenty capable of beating 75% of the league.

View attachment 346121

It's not so much doom and gloom, but it would be nice to see improvement every week. I will state that I was not totally disappointed in the offense's performance. I realize the red zone is probably going to be a bit of an issue, but Love can't throw that 1st interception. The kicker had a bad day...they happen...but all in all I really want to see improvement every week and learn how to win the game...you know like the Steelers that get outgained every week but still win the game...that would be good

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not so much doom and gloom, but it would be nice to see improvement every week. I will state that I was not totally disappointed in the offense's performance. I realize the red zone is probably going to be a bit of an issue, but Love can't throw that 1st interception. The kicker had a bad day...they happen...but all in all I really want to see improvement every week and learn how to win the game...you know like the Steelers that get outgained every week but still win the game...that would be good
It's the darkest before dawn. It feels like everything that could go wrong did through the bulk of this season, but even through all of that the team wasn't getting blown out for 60 minutes. These are trials that teams need to overcome before they can become powerful.

It's very difficult to gauge "improvement". Each week is a different opponent with different strengths and weaknesses. Each game has a different players in different roles as injuries roll in and out. As improvements are noticeable in some areas, flaws are exposed in others. Many people gauge "improvement" solely on wins & losses, but that's not necessarily true. We're going to see new challenges these next three weeks against the Chargers, Lions and Chiefs. We are likely to see more improvements here and flaws there, but these games - I believe - will make this team tougher and more experienced as we enter the last five games of the season against beatable teams.

Ultimately, I'm looking for three more wins on the season. Aaron Rodgers had six wins in his first season as a starter, if Love can get six I can be happy with that. Less than that is cause for concern. More than that is cause for optimism.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the darkest before dawn. It feels like everything that could go wrong did through the bulk of this season, but even through all of that the team wasn't getting blown out for 60 minutes. These are trials that teams need to overcome before they can become powerful.

It's very difficult to gauge "improvement". Each week is a different opponent with different strengths and weaknesses. Each game has a different players in different roles as injuries roll in and out. As improvements are noticeable in some areas, flaws are exposed in others. Many people gauge "improvement" solely on wins & losses, but that's not necessarily true. We're going to see new challenges these next three weeks against the Chargers, Lions and Chiefs. We are likely to see more improvements here and flaws there, but these games - I believe - will make this team tougher and more experienced as we enter the last five games of the season against beatable teams.

Ultimately, I'm looking for three more wins on the season. Aaron Rodgers had six wins in his first season as a starter, if Love can get six I can be happy with that. Less than that is cause for concern. More than that is cause for optimism.

I really don't know how good or bad this team is. I was not expecting them to be some great team or make the playoffs, they're breaking in a new QB and they're very young. So what I was really hoping for was a team that grew up as the season went along. That means correcting the mistakes and issues as the season goes along. They did clean up the penalties on O, which I was very happy with. Now they need to continue that and do a better job running the ball which should bring down the safeties and give them a better chance at making it a little easier on Love with play passes instead of 3rd and long dropbacks.

Improvements to me are looking like a more mature team that doesn't step on its own dick at the most inopportune moments in all 3 phases. The kicking game seems to be an area that they could get better in and it would make a big difference, so would the red zone O and better 3rd down D against better QBs, and it seems to me that they haven't really faced the upper tier of QBs yet, so we might have some real problems in the next 3 weeks. So I guess to me improvements are more about the simple things like execution in all 3 phases. Not turning the ball over on O, getting turnovers on D and flipping the field in the kicking game. The Ws and Ls, to me, aren't the end all at this point, being competent is, or at least having the appearance of competence.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good news is the Packers won. Bad news is they still have too many focus problems. False start, fumbled snap, dropped passes, dropped coverages and other basic stuff that costs you games. It helps when you play a teams that has more focus problems than you have...but a win is a win and hopefully something to build on...losing 2 RBs doesn't help either

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good news is the Packers won. Bad news is they still have too many focus problems. False start, fumbled snap, dropped passes, dropped coverages and other basic stuff that costs you games. It helps when you play a teams that has more focus problems than you have...but a win is a win and hopefully something to build on...losing 2 RBs doesn't help either

This Jones injury appears like it could be a very long one....

Gary offside penalty at end of game really had me shaking my head... fortunately Clark bailed him out with batted pass to win the game.

Passing offense better today... I really liked what I saw with Doubs, Reed, Wicks and Musgrave. Run game not very good with exception of Reed taking some handoffs.

Herbert had 73 yards rushing on 8 rushes... extremely poor job keeping him contained/in pocket.

Team found a way to win.

Really surprised how our secondary is playing with rookies Valentine and Johnson... and then also with Ballentine and Owens on the field. Owens big whiff on LAC 1st TD... Valentine was beat for a TD but their rookie Johnson dropped the ball.

Packers rookies class is getting a lot of playing time/experience. This draft for now appears could have some good players.

1700448228807.png

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Packers rookies class is getting a lot of playing time/experience. This draft for now appears could have some good players.

View attachment 346621
Yeah, that's a LOT of rookies getting meaningful reps and holding their own. Can't be mad about that. Really, the only guy on that list I kinda expected to do what he's doing in year #1 is Musgrave. Van Ness is getting more reps than I thought he would and is showing steady improvement as the year progresses. Reed is also making steady improvement as the year progresses - he's starting to show signs that he might be the best WR on the team.

Carlson needs to put some extra work in, though. Can't keep missing XPs and FGs in close games like this.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Herbert rushing for 73 yards was very much a scheme thing. I keep wondering if it's wrong of me that he keeps looking stupid so they fire him and get Jim Lenhard off the Illini staff.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy Thanksgiving Packer fans...GO Pack GO!!!!

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy turkey day everybody. Watching the Detroit game now. GB defense can’t defend the pass to save their lives.