• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Free Agency & the Fantasy Pros & Cons

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen the rumors that the Jets are ready to pivot and trade for Stafford at any given moment, so the Pack better not get too damned greedy. They'd be left holding a very heavy bag if they don't get this done

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen the rumors that the Jets are ready to pivot and trade for Stafford at any given moment, so the Pack better not get too damned greedy. They'd be left holding a very heavy bag if they don't get this done
I would think other teams would pivot though. Maybe the Colts, probably the frontrunner to land Lamar. I'm sure they would get in on the Rodgers sweepstakes.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think other teams would pivot though. Maybe the Colts, probably the frontrunner to land Lamar. I'm sure they would get in on the Rodgers sweepstakes.
But would they? I mean, I think there's a reason that it came down to the Jets, and only the Jets, so quickly. I'm not convinced that there's any teams out there other than the Jets who were both willing to put up with Aaron Rodgers' BS AND pony up a decent stockpile of picks/players to acquire him. All the other possible teams bowed out awfully fast once they discovered the asking price, not too mention Rodgers himself would have to want to go there, and they'd have to have the cap available to make it happen, and at this stage of free agency, most teams already have their finances in line.

I can't see the Irsay's jumping at yet another end of the line QB who may or may not retire at any given moment on them. I would have to assume they've had more then enough of that crap..Luck retired on them, Wentz retired but just didn't tell anyone, Rivers retired on them, Matt Ryan probably should have retired, but like Wentz, just hasn't done it yet. I can buy them getting Lamar, I can't see them begging to buy backstage passes to the Aaron Rodgers circus

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lamar has talent. No question.
But he does not pass the eye test for me personally.
Not that i watch a lot of Ravens games, but i have seen him kill drives because of his decisions to do his own thing. To me he is selfish and is not a "team" guy.
Add in that he finds a way to not play a full season, i'd almost rather have the aging diva Rodgers over Lamar. And i hate Rodgers.
Ravens might be better without him.

Last edited:

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lamar has talent. No question.
But he does not pass the eye test for me personally.
Not that i watch a lot of Ravens games, but i have seen him kill drives because of his decisions to do his own thing. To me he is selfish and is not a "team" guy.
Add in that he finds a way to not play a full season,
i'd almost rather have the aging diva Rodgers over Lamar. And i hate Rodgers.
Ravens might be better without him.
All true but I think a lot of that is his desire to work his way out of BAL since they've basically refused a long term deal. Of course the team may very well see the same things you bring up as the reason why. It's really too bad since the offense is geared around his skillset - then again, that may have been by necessity - great runner but has never shown much of anything as a passer. .....

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All true but I think a lot of that is his desire to work his way out of BAL since they've basically refused a long term deal. Of course the team may very well see the same things you bring up as the reason why. It's really too bad since the offense is geared around his skillset - then again, that may have been by necessity - great runner but has never shown much of anything as a passer. .....
To be fair, they have offered a 'long' term deal, (long being a relative term..maybe not as long as he'd like but multiple years) they just won't fully guarantee it like Lamar wants. Which he's finding out, no one is willing to offer up.

All these guys need to get on page that the Brownies effed up on Watsons' deal, and no one is getting those

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, they have offered a 'long' term deal, (long being a relative term..maybe not as long as he'd like but multiple years) they just won't fully guarantee it like Lamar wants. Which he's finding out, no one is willing to offer up.

All these guys need to get on page that the Brownies effed up on Watsons' deal, and no one is getting those
Leave it to the Browns. .... remember the Johnny Football pick ?

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NBC Sports Houston's Aaron Wilson reports the Texans aren't expected to pursue Lamar Jackson.​

For some of the teams that have placed themselves in the "No On Lamar" club, it's hard to make sense of it from the position they sit in

ok, to address the portion in italics-
Lamar has the non exclusive right tender put on him..meaning that all any team could publicly comment on is trying to offer him a deal, and giving up TWO #1 picks for the right to do so. Of course no one is going to go on record and say that they're willing to do that. Knowing you'll need to throw a minimum of 5 years, at 40+mil per year, most likely most of it being guaranteed, plus sending 2 #1's to Baltimore?? I don't care if your Tom Brady's 21 year old clone, that's just insane.

Beyond that, its tampering to say, sure we want to trade for Lamar Jackson

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marvin Jones back with the Lions.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well at this point it would seem as though the big name RB's like Hunt, Zeke, Fournette, to a lesser extent- McKinnon, Mack, Murray and Drake. Wr's Golladay, Robbie 'Chosen" Anderson, Sammy Watkins, Landry.. not likely to see any movement on these guys until after the draft I would guess. Maybe not even until after camps open? they may very well decide to wait it out and see which WR/RB's blow a knee in preseason this year.

Maybe OBJ signs pre draft, but I wouldn't bank on it. Bummer.

there's not much on the WR side that really moves the needle regardless where they end up. Their own value surely lies in where they go, but doubtful that caliber of WR changes the outlook for anyone else on the team other than the guys who were barely holding any value to start with.
RB's still have a minimum of 3 guys that will alter a depth chart in some way shape or form though. I'm not saying any would automatically take a lead back roll away from anyone currently on a roster, but they'd certainly impact the expected touch %'s no matter who the guy currently atop the depth chart is.

This little month long gap between where free agency grinds to a halt and before the draft is just painful.

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well at this point it would seem as though the big name RB's like Hunt, Zeke, Fournette, to a lesser extent- McKinnon, Mack, Murray and Drake. Wr's Golladay, Robbie 'Chosen" Anderson, Sammy Watkins, Landry.. not likely to see any movement on these guys until after the draft I would guess. Maybe not even until after camps open? they may very well decide to wait it out and see which WR/RB's blow a knee in preseason this year.

Maybe OBJ signs pre draft, but I wouldn't bank on it. Bummer.

there's not much on the WR side that really moves the needle regardless where they end up. Their own value surely lies in where they go, but doubtful that caliber of WR changes the outlook for anyone else on the team other than the guys who were barely holding any value to start with.
RB's still have a minimum of 3 guys that will alter a depth chart in some way shape or form though. I'm not saying any would automatically take a lead back roll away from anyone currently on a roster, but they'd certainly impact the expected touch %'s no matter who the guy currently atop the depth chart is.

This little month long gap between where free agency grinds to a halt and before the draft is just painful.
Thats why we have you...and Lefty Joe and Bandit..etc etc..

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is speculation that Hopkins gets cut.
Also thought i saw the.Ravens offered OBJ an undisclosed offer.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep..tough to try to negotiate trade value when all the potential dance partners know you get 20 mil in cap relief by cutting the dude.

I'd be shocked if OBJ gave the Ravens the time of day considering their QB situation. That dude isn't signing on to play with a rookie or Tyler Huntley if he's got options..not sure he'd wanna play with Lamar, tbh

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wherever he goes he's a WR2 for us in fantasy.

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you can certainly tell that Ozzie is no longer running the show. Seems crazy on the Ravens side to me, but what'd I know. ...

Ravens signed Odell Beckham Jr., formerly of the Rams, to a one-year contract worth "up to" $18 million with $15 million in guarantees.​

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you can certainly tell that Ozzie is no longer running the show. Seems crazy on the Ravens side to me, but what'd I know. ...

Ravens signed Odell Beckham Jr., formerly of the Rams, to a one-year contract worth "up to" $18 million with $15 million in guarantees.​

Ravens needed a WR, but this seems more like desperation and overpaying by a lot.

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ravens needed a WR, but this seems more like desperation and overpaying by a lot.
I won't ague that they need one, but I'm not sure what Beckham (at this stage) brings to an offense that runs and only throws to the TE. .... perhaps they were missing a 'go to' WR but is he that kind of guy anymore ?

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't ague that they need one, but I'm not sure what Beckham (at this stage) brings to an offense that runs and only throws to the TE. .... perhaps they were missing a 'go to' WR but is he that kind of guy anymore ?
Assuming he cones back to where he was as a Ram, granted that's a stiff assumption- it'll be roughly 20+ months and a major knee injury, since we saw him last, so not likely to be exactly what he was, but let's assume getting close to it- he certainly could be a go-to type guy. Hes not going to take the top off a D, not gonna be that kind of go to guy. But, running solid routes, being where he's supposed to be, when he's supposed to be there, reading the coverage and adjusting to the right route, and surely he can still catch anything in his general area. To me, that's a go to type guy, and I think he can still do that. You don't have to 'out-athlete' the defense to succeed.

Unfortunately, no matter who the Ravens have at QB, be it Lamar, Huntley, or a rookie they draft- crisp routes, timing...not necessarily those QB's strong suits. Lamar ad libs far too much, and is too inaccurate, to take proper advantage of a guy like that. And if Lamar can't, Huntley and/or a rookie aren't likely too either

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if Lamar can't, Huntley and/or a rookie aren't likely too either
IDK
I think Huntley would be better for OBJ since he runs less and actually executes the plays that are called.