• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 draft thread

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where did I say Allen was better?? I expressly said Jackson is marginally a better passer. But then again his game is predicated off of teams fearing his running ability. So like most running QBs, teams tend to play tight against the run, in which case Jackson likely has a few more wide open WRs to throw to because teams are not prone to play zone against him. this seems to be a trend with QBs that have a tendency to run.

Allen on the other hand is a more traditional pocket passer, so I would wager he does see a bit tighter coverage.

Right now Jackson does seem to be the better prospect, but having had a running QB in DC, I wonder how much of his success is based on teams fearing his run ability. And if you cut back on that, can he really thrive??

Thats possible, but his running ability wont stop being a threat. Obviously nobody would ever have him run like he does at Louisville, but a handful of read options every game to keep defenses honest? 1 or 2 scrambles when the pocket breaks down? Sure. Defenses will still be plenty scared of his rushing.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have looked at both and Allen is more pro ready . It doesn’t mean better . We have seen Watson for only a short period and he got hurt he may never get back all the way and it was a small sample size .dak was thought to be all world but he came down to earth : Jackson ‘s best skill is running and that my friends will always be the issue until he developes as a passér and can read pro defense or simply receive a conventional snap .

Jackson doesn’t fit what we do , that doesnt mean he isn’t good but doesnt fit our scheme . I am against drafting a qb . We have one , we should be looking at filling another need not creating a new one

What makes him more pro-ready?

So Jacksons best skill is running...he still has passing skills better than Allens.

Why do you think he cant read pro defenses but Allen can?

You think he cant receive a conventional snap? He takes snaps under center at Louisville....

Not to mention pro teams run out of the gun allllll the time now.

Why does Jackson not fit what we do but Allen does? (FWIW I dont see why Jackson couldnt fit here)

I agree we shouldnt be drafting one, but reality is we may end up doing so.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am against drafting a qb . We have one , we should be looking at filling another need not creating a new one

We don't have one, unless you're counting this last game. I know it's difficult to imagine Kirk in other colors, but, it's a very safe bet that it's going to happen.

To be honest, there's only one reason to have as many threads and lengthy discussions on the subject of drafting a QB early in the upcoming draft, and that's because it's predicated upon Kirk NOT being here in 2018 and beyond.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't have one, unless you're counting this last game. I know it's difficult to imagine Kirk in other colors, but, it's a very safe bet that it's going to happen.

To be honest, there's only one reason to have as many threads and lengthy discussions on the subject of drafting a QB early in the upcoming draft, and that's because it's predicated upon Kirk NOT being here in 2018 and beyond.

we do have one , one we groomed and developed . it shouldnt be a question at all

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What makes him more pro-ready?

So Jacksons best skill is running...he still has passing skills better than Allens.

Why do you think he cant read pro defenses but Allen can?

You think he cant receive a conventional snap? He takes snaps under center at Louisville....

Not to mention pro teams run out of the gun allllll the time now.

Why does Jackson not fit what we do but Allen does? (FWIW I dont see why Jackson couldnt fit here)

I agree we shouldnt be drafting one, but reality is we may end up doing so.

i have listed them all above numerous times . i dont think he has better passing skills then allen at all i am not saying allen is all world but scouts like him better

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well they said on wingo and golic the browns want qb allen with first pick

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think he was implying that you have a yearly mancrush.

That would be another poster.

Correct me if Im wrong @Sportster 72 but I think what he was implying was that Jackson is this years national media man crush. They guy that everyone cant stop raving about. The game changer of the week.

I was teasing ehb because he likes RO dual threat QBs with big arms. Last year his man crush was Mahome's.

I would say my feelings about the guy and I have to say I haven't watched him much are that QBs of his style have not faired well in the NFL. Maybe he will. Certainly he is a rare talent with 1,400 rushing yards and 3,400 passing yards.

Wait till the underwear Olympics start, he will get a lot more media coverage then but there are a lot of QBs this year that are going to get attention so one or two guys isn't going to get it all.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we do have one , one we groomed and developed . it shouldnt be a question at all

All well and good, but although there "shouldn't" be any questions....in fact there are questions, deep concerning questions, that have led a lot of folks to correctly reason that there is and will be a void at the position.

BTW: It is equally reasonable for others to think that will all be worked out, despite a now, 3 year impasse in negotiations.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well they said on wingo and golic the browns want qb allen with first pick

Leave it to the Browns. NO matter how much Dan and Bruce try to claim the title of most inept franchise in the league... the Browns make sure to cling to the title.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leave it to the Browns. NO matter how much Dan and Bruce try to claim the title of most inept franchise in the league... the Browns make sure to cling to the title.
The 0-16 2017 Browns lay claim to the title of most inept franchise ever.

The 2018 Browns: "Hold my beer..."

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i have listed them all above numerous times . i dont think he has better passing skills then allen at all i am not saying allen is all world but scouts like him better

Where did you list them? I don't see an answer to any of my questions.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, it was a very good read and primer on draft possibilities.

Now I know that @Sharkinva has been putting out the idea that Lamar Jackson is the target of this team, but I believe that we already have Lamar Jackson on payroll.....His name is Terrell Pryor.

So are you insinuating that we might have been better of making Pryor a QB again as he would have the Skillset they want, and could CARRY the team as apparently Kurt cant do?? :D

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So are you insinuating that we might have been better of making Pryor a QB again as he would have the Skillset they want, and could CARRY the team as apparently Kurt cant do?? :D

???? I have no idea how you could have gotten that out of what was written.

Based upon what I've read about Jackson thus far, there are scouts and others wondering if Jackson could make the transition from QB to WR ala Pryor. Besides you already know that I'm convinced that there are others who are able to do as well or better than Kirk in J. Gruden's offense.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Based upon what I've read about Jackson thus far, there are scouts and others wondering if Jackson could make the transition from QB to WR ala Pryor. Besides you already know that I'm convinced that there are others who are able to do as well or better than Kirk in J. Gruden's offense.

It was a joke Sty.. (Well sort of)

And yes you have made it very clear you think we could somewhat easily find a better QB.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a joke Sty.. (Well sort of)

And yes you have made it very clear you think we could somewhat easily find a better QB.

To be clear, J Gruden's offense is extremely QB friendly, I really don't believe that putting up the numbers that Kirk has requires a superstar QB to do that. In terms of wins and losses, well it's been average at best (9-7, 8-7-1 and thus far 7-8). Give me a Kirk type if he goes, and they don't miss a beat. (note the emphasis on type)

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without KC this year this team is 3-13,hands down . I don’t see a rookie doing what KC did this year in his first year . Expect a significant drop off : I don’t expect an old has been or a dalton or a Bradford or a bridgewatecor a Keenan or a smith or a Taylor or a mccarron doing that

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have seen you say Jay Gruden's offense is QB friendly. What about his offense makes it so? What is he doing differently than other HCs or OCs to make his offense easier? If his offense is friendly or easier why aren't more coaches doing that? If it is QB friendly why wasn't it friendly to Griffin?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without KC this year this team is 3-13,hands down . I don’t see a rookie doing what KC did this year in his first year . Expect a significant drop off : I don’t expect an old has been or a dalton or a Bradford or a bridgewatecor a Keenan or a smith or a Taylor or a mccarron doing that

Calm down Dad, take your blood pressure meds. I can tell you are getting worked up because as you get heated.. things like punctuation tend to go by the way side.

MOst of these guys know that even being 8-8 or possibly 8-8 with the rash of injuries we had is borderline impressive. They do realize that Kirk basically carried the team this year, he just wasnt strong enough to carry them to the playoffs.

And besides, we need to erase everything from 2012 from memory.. well except the good parts.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be clear, J Gruden's offense is extremely QB friendly, I really don't believe that putting up the numbers that Kirk has requires a superstar QB to do that. In terms of wins and losses, well it's been average at best (9-7, 8-7-1 and thus far 7-8). Give me a Kirk type if he goes, and they don't miss a beat. (note the emphasis on type)

If this is true, why has Andy Dalton not been better under it, with one of the best WRs in the game Tom throw to? Take it a step further, his stats haven’t really changed without Gruden either. His best seasons occurred after Gruden left as well.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this is true, why has Andy Dalton not been better under it, with one of the best WRs in the game Tom throw to? Take it a step further, his stats haven’t really changed without Gruden either. His best seasons occurred after Gruden left as well.

Come on man, any one could do it.

*Really need a sarcasm imoji*