• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Sleepers/Busts

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where are you guys on Adam Duvall? He had a lot of power last year and is being drafted relatively low for someone who could hit 30+ home runs?

He is what he is, a low BA high HR guy... if he doesn't improve his Plate discipline(more walks), then he is doomed to disappoint...

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a shame because this homer made some pretty good points.

Not disagreeing at all. I also think Jordan Howard is on par with Zeke, for that matter. But that's neither here nor there, and trust me, NO ONE wants to hear it. ;)

But they will see the light...oh yes they will. :yes::yes::yes: Sidenote: this is coming from a Vikings fan.

Anyway, bottom line here is: he doesn't want to hear it from a homer...period. No addendums allowed. :nono::nono::nono:

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is what he is, a low BA high HR guy... if he doesn't improve his Plate discipline(more walks), then he is doomed to disappoint...

Yep. Just another hit or miss middle-of-the-road outfielder at this point. As long as he plays with the Reds, there's a pretty good chance he'll clobber a bunch at home.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sale's a red sox? That narrows it down for me. Unless there's a name I am forgetting that will be a top five ranked pitcher(I'm avoiding Arrieta).

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw @MilkSpiller22 - as to calling Sale a bust with the BoSox, well...I think that is a matter of perspective, draft position and league format. An ace is an ace.

I will admit it's not thrilling that he ended up where he ended, but still...was he a better option while with the White Sox?

This is actually an interesting matter to ponder.

At least for his first season I am expecting what Price did... Gave us a "wtf" why did they sign him!!! But have good numbers in the end

jwolt92

The voice of fuckin reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the whole Schwarber argument, from a totally unbiased perspective, is that he'll only play about 120 games this year. His power is incredible, but his defense in the outfield is a flat out liability. And how long will he actually stay at lead off? Zobrist is the ideal guy there, switch hitter who doesn't strike out a lot.

Small sample size, but what's he going to do against lefties? Under .200 in his short career (already referenced the small sample size), but I don't see him being the lead off for very long. He's an ideal number 4 hitter on a team that can use a DH. The Cubs aren't one and if he starts making bad plays in left, he's not going to be out there every day.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the whole Schwarber argument, from a totally unbiased perspective, is that he'll only play about 120 games this year. His power is incredible, but his defense in the outfield is a flat out liability. And how long will he actually stay at lead off? Zobrist is the ideal guy there, switch hitter who doesn't strike out a lot.

Small sample size, but what's he going to do against lefties? Under .200 in his short career (already referenced the small sample size), but I don't see him being the lead off for very long. He's an ideal number 4 hitter on a team that can use a DH. The Cubs aren't one and if he starts making bad plays in left, he's not going to be out there every day.
He will play LF most of the time and is 3rd on C depth If cubs have a weakness its their OF depth Hes so valuable in fantasy cause hes a C Most have him at 25-30 HRs 80 R and 80 RBIs damn good numbers for a C:suds:

jwolt92

Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will play LF most of the time and is 3rd on C depth If cubs have a weakness its their OF depth Hes so valuable in fantasy cause hes a C Most have him at 25-30 HRs 80 R and 80 RBIs damn good numbers for a C:suds:

Maddon already said he'd only catch about 20 games this year. So he already doesn't qualify from last year, and he'll have to get at least 7-10 games for most league.. I'm not saying he's got no value, because he's a damn good hitter, but he's not Babe Ruth and unless he cuts down on his Ks, he won't be the lead off hitter for long

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Bregman?

Regress? Get Better? Stay the same?

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Bregman?

Regress? Get Better? Stay the same?

I think it's a little early to disregard his large upside... getting better doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

the most interesting thing about him right now is that he is hitting lead off.... if this happens, then he could get 100 runs... which is very tempting...

jwolt92

Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the most interesting thing about him right now is that he is hitting lead off.... if this happens, then he could get 100 runs... which is very tempting...

I agree. If he hits leadoff, all year, he's got some serious potential to be a top 2-3 round pick type player. I just see him staying there because of the strikeouts. He's a great hitter, with insane power. That sounds like a number 4-5 hitter in my mind

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. If he hits leadoff, all year, he's got some serious potential to be a top 2-3 round pick type player. I just see him staying there because of the strikeouts. He's a great hitter, with insane power. That sounds like a number 4-5 hitter in my mind

I don't like the word great for him... he is only a .242 career hitter... Now of course there is optimism that he can be a 300 hitter, because he has a great swing... but with that SO rate(again he only has 278 career PA) don't know if he can improve THAT much SO fast....

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't find my list from last year.... oh well.

C - Cameron Rupp/Brian McCann... Rupp will go undrafted in a lot of leagues. McCann will be taken as a top 10 or better Catcher. Yet what separates these two players is 4 HR, 20 Runs, 30 Walks and 15 K... that's how much "better" McCann was in more than 50-more at bats than Rupp.
I think 20 runs, 30 walks and 4 homers is a drastic difference at a 50 at bat difference.

In a league that punishes K's, or values K/BB, Rupp takes a big hit. Same with a league that values OBP.

McCann is still a safe pick for a catcher imo. And last year could very well be about as good as it gets for Rupp. Other than his time in A ball, he hasn't had a lot of success getting on base. And his Phillies scored fewer runs than every team in baseball last year. Even if the power stays, he doesn't have a great opportunity for driving in runs.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think 20 runs, 30 walks and 4 homers is a drastic difference at a 50 at bat difference.

In a league that punishes K's, or values K/BB, Rupp takes a big hit. Same with a league that values OBP.

McCann is still a safe pick for a catcher imo. And last year could very well be about as good as it gets for Rupp. Other than his time in A ball, he hasn't had a lot of success getting on base. And his Phillies scored fewer runs than every team in baseball last year. Even if the power stays, he doesn't have a great opportunity for driving in runs.

Meh. They're getting better. I don't see how they (Phillies) are worse than last year. I expect Rupp to go over 400 AB this year.

McCann had an okay season in a final numbers kind of way, but without looking it up, I can remember being frustrated with him as an owner last year. A good April and May I think, followed by a summer of slump. ... in the NY AL East band box. In Houston and the West, not as much hitter friendly ball parks to help him beat "the shift".

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. They're getting better. I don't see how they (Phillies) are worse than last year. I expect Rupp to go over 400 AB this year.

McCann had an okay season in a final numbers kind of way, but without looking it up, I can remember being frustrated with him as an owner last year. A good April and May I think, followed by a summer of slump. ... in the NY AL East band box. In Houston and the West, not as much hitter friendly ball parks to help him beat "the shift".

Not sure if I agree with my statement I am about to make... But I think I prefer streaky players in fantasy... It is nice to know when to start and bench a player... easier to get the big days(still not guaranteed)...

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this from sept:suds:

Rupp hasn’t been as productive during the second half, but he owns a solid .257/.309/.457 batting line to go along with 16 homers and 54 RBI over 103 games. He’s not even arbitration-eligible yet, so the Phillies have no sense of urgency to deal him this winter, but it’s probably just a matter of time before prospect Jorge Alfaro gets a chance to take over the starting catcher gig.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Wilson Contreras going to just swap with Schwarber then? One will catch and the other in LF and vice versa???