• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Sleepers/Busts

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Wilson Contreras going to just swap with Schwarber then? One will catch and the other in LF and vice versa???
No Montero is the back up catcher:suds:

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Wilson Contreras going to just swap with Schwarber then? One will catch and the other in LF and vice versa???

Schwarber wants to catch, but the team has no plan to catch him... they have Contreras and Miguel Montero... Both better defensively than Schwarber...

BUT Maddon is a manager who relies on his relationship with his players, so it is very possible that he can catch enough games to make him fantasy eligible... the only question is how long will that take??

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what will Contreras do?
actually looking at their splits schwabb sucks vs lefties so contreres could play LF then:suds:

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. They're getting better. I don't see how they (Phillies) are worse than last year. I expect Rupp to go over 400 AB this year.

McCann had an okay season in a final numbers kind of way, but without looking it up, I can remember being frustrated with him as an owner last year. A good April and May I think, followed by a summer of slump. ... in the NY AL East band box. In Houston and the West, not as much hitter friendly ball parks to help him beat "the shift".
McCann was pretty consistent last year.

August was prolly his worst month. But he had more hits in it that any other month but September. (19 in both)

As long he still gets days as a DH, I'd expect his numbers to keep up with where they've been for years.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCann was pretty consistent last year.

August was prolly his worst month. But he had more hits in it that any other month but September. (19 in both)

As long he still gets days as a DH, I'd expect his numbers to keep up with where they've been for years.

Consistent? He had a great April (batting average wise). Stunk in May, despite it being his best month for RBI (14), eight of which came in three games. June he seemed to be getting better, then he hit a wall. After the AS break, he had 6 games with more than one hit.

Sure, I don't think he's done. Catcher is gross in fantasy. His 20 HR range will keep him in the conversation. He will get some DH time probably, but he's just not the same hitter he once was, imo.

The reason he is my bust, is because he seems to still be in that 2nd tier, behind Posey and Lucroy... and I do not agree with that ADP mark.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this from sept:suds:

Rupp hasn’t been as productive during the second half, but he owns a solid .257/.309/.457 batting line to go along with 16 homers and 54 RBI over 103 games. He’s not even arbitration-eligible yet, so the Phillies have no sense of urgency to deal him this winter, but it’s probably just a matter of time before prospect Jorge Alfaro gets a chance to take over the starting catcher gig.

Yes. Not sure that happens early enough this season to make an impact.

....I could be off though, for sure.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Consistent? He had a great April (batting average wise). Stunk in May, despite it being his best month for RBI (14), eight of which came in three games. June he seemed to be getting better, then he hit a wall. After the AS break, he had 6 games with more than one hit.

Sure, I don't think he's done. Catcher is gross in fantasy. His 20 HR range will keep him in the conversation. He will get some DH time probably, but he's just not the same hitter he once was, imo.

The reason he is my bust, is because he seems to still be in that 2nd tier, behind Posey and Lucroy... and I do not agree with that ADP mark.
I consider his season consistent offensively for a catcher.

Looking at his season, there are positives each month from a roto perspective.

I don't think he's the same hitter he was 7-8-9 years ago. But I think he's aging gracefully at a position we seldom see it from. And that is definitely helped by being an AL, DH elibigle guy. And on top of that, being in the AL East.

10 out of 11 years with atleast 20HRs and all thing considered makes me see him as a safe pick. I wouldn't recommend reaching for him, but I'd take him as a starter.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let's get back to this bust thing: Whatta you guys think about Adam Eaton?

This guy has pissed me off for so many years now, I would automatically rank him as a bust.

But oh, the potential in that Nats lineup...I wouldn't buy high on him, but if the right situation came around...

...maybe, just maybe? :scratch:

Let me offer an alternative view here Chef.

Moving to the Nats could actually be significantly worse for Eaton from a fantasy perspective. He does not steal a ton of bases, so his value hinges on production across all 5 categories.

If he bats leadoff, he will have many fewer RBI chances because he follows the pitcher. If he bats down in the order, he will score fewer runs, get fewer ABs and probably steal less also.

In other words, just because the team is better does not mean Eaton is in a better position to post numbers.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is Trea Turner's value so high now that he HAS to be a bust??

Really!!! look at his numbers last season, they were insane... But he only played 73 games and only had 14 walks... ONLY 14 walks!!!! what that means is that he HAS to be a high BA to be relevant...

is there any room for improvement?? I highly doubt it... he really HAS to regress... I would be surprised if he gets over 20 HRs this season...

I would predict a .290 BA, .330 OBP, 15 HR, 60 RBI, 89 Runs, 45 SB Season... Yes the SB are nice... But is he what you are paying for?? I just don't think so...

I have a rule, NEVER pay up for a player after he has his career season... and for rookies- Never pay up for a player who has not yet seen an extended slump...

I wouldn't think about getting him until the 3rd round...

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Really!!! look at his numbers last season, they were insane... But he only played 73 games and only had 14 walks... ONLY 14 walks!!!! what that means is that he HAS to be a high BA to be relevant...

is there any room for improvement?? I highly doubt it... he really HAS to regress... I would be surprised if he gets over 20 HRs this season...

I would predict a .290 BA, .330 OBP, 15 HR, 60 RBI, 89 Runs, 45 SB Season... Yes the SB are nice... But is he what you are paying for?? I just don't think so...

I have a rule, NEVER pay up for a player after he has his career season... and for rookies- Never pay up for a player who has not yet seen an extended slump...

I completely agree. I think in this case, "bust" is relative, but yeah. I agree.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely agree. I think in this case, "bust" is relative, but yeah. I agree.

Honestly, there is so much more going against him than for him... BUT SB is the one stat that doesn't lie... so at least we know that Washington will let him run!!! the only question is, how many opportunities will he have??

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, there is so much more going against him than for him... BUT SB is the one stat that doesn't lie... so at least we know that Washington will let him run!!! the only question is, how many opportunities will he have??

Agreed about SBs as well. However, the big question is: does he deserve to be drafted in the Mookie/Kris Bryant/Arendado/Altuve range? Unless things have changed, that's where I've seen his ADP.

Completely logical answer is: no.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bust? I'll take that in the top 15-20 picks.

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw @MilkSpiller22 - as to calling Sale a bust with the BoSox, well...I think that is a matter of perspective, draft position and league format. An ace is an ace.

I will admit it's not thrilling that he ended up where he ended, but still...was he a better option while with the White Sox?

This is actually an interesting matter to ponder.
The only good thing from a fantasy perspective about Sale going to Boston is the run-support. And he already got a lot of wins anyway with Chicago. It's a disaster in m opinion for him going to Boston. Will he still be good? Probably. But nowhere near what he was in Chicago. Now he goes to a hitter-friendly park in a division where he will be facing the Yankees, Orioles and Blue Jays often...in hitter-friendly parks. Not to mention it seems like every good pitcher that goes to Boston just face-plants anyway.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only good thing from a fantasy perspective about Sale going to Boston is the run-support. And he already got a lot of wins anyway with Chicago. It's a disaster in m opinion for him going to Boston. Will he still be good? Probably. But nowhere near what he was in Chicago. Now he goes to a hitter-friendly park in a division where he will be facing the Yankees, Orioles and Blue Jays often...in hitter-friendly parks. Not to mention it seems like every good pitcher that goes to Boston just face-plants anyway.

All good points that I cannot disagree with.

Still, an Ace is an Ace is an Ace...is an Ace. ;)

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All good points that I cannot disagree with.

Still, an Ace is an Ace is an Ace...is an Ace. ;)

Sure an ace is in ace... But when the ace is seen to be a top 5 pitcher in baseball, if he is more like a top 20, he will be a bust... I don't even think he will break a 3.00 ERA... BUT that doesn't mean he is not a stud...

His biggest selling point is that he should be one of the rare 200+ inning starters this season...

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure an ace is in ace... But when the ace is seen to be a top 5 pitcher in baseball, if he is more like a top 20, he will be a bust... I don't even think he will break a 3.00 ERA... BUT that doesn't mean he is not a stud...

His biggest selling point is that he should be one of the rare 200+ inning starters this season...

Do you prefer cake or winner on this one?