• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Sleepers/Busts

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't find my list from last year.... oh well.

C - Cameron Rupp/Brian McCann... Rupp will go undrafted in a lot of leagues. McCann will be taken as a top 10 or better Catcher. Yet what separates these two players is 4 HR, 20 Runs, 30 Walks and 15 K... that's how much "better" McCann was in more than 50-more at bats than Rupp.

1B - Tommy Joseph/Daniel Murphy... Edwin in Toronto (and the AL East)... good. Cleveland and the AL Central? No thanks. Take away Edwin's HR in Toronto and Baltimore and he is no better than Justin Smoak. I'm staying away. I guess two is too many Phillies, so I'll stop here, but I see 30 HR from Joseph quite easily. I'm pretty sure the Phils will play him everyday.

2B - Ryan Schimpf/Dee Gordon... call me crazy, I'm buying somewhat of a majority percentage in the Schimpf power from nowhere last year. At a late price, sure will. Gordon on the other hand, is way over rated, imo. Not touching him.

3B - Ryon Healy/Javier Baez... Is Healy the new A's Donaldson? I might be taking some shots at him. Baez, while I'm a huge fan, and banked on him last year (and failed...but not just him). Joe Maddon will bounce him around and I'm not so sure his power upside is there without a terrible floor... trying to up the floor seems to take away his power. Being a Cubbie will keep his draft stock too high for me.

SS - Brad Miller/Trevor Story... I'm kinda buying what Miller did last year. At least enough to wait at SS without fear. While others will go for the newer blood and big names, the upside of Story doesn't entice me enough to buy that high.

OF - Randal Grichuk/Adam Jones... Grichuk might have been on last year's list (if I could find it), and even after a "terrible" start, he finished fine. My beef was the sporadic playing time he received last year even in the midst of his hot streaks. Hoping that stops this year. 30 HR (and 10 sb) seem very reachable to me. Jones is the poster boy for steady early round dollar value. Year after year, he never disappointed, even if he never amazed... but those days are over. Jones is a no go for me, I think he has literally fell off the map.

SP - Dylan Bundy/Chris Sale... If Bundy can start consistently getting through 6 innings, watch the eff out! Sale will find out the difference between the AL Central and the AL East early and often... total bust, probably not, as the Red Sox offense is still elite, so some Wins will still be there.

RP - Carousel not worth discussing right now.... or maybe I just don't have the effort/time atm.

Baseball has been very, very good to me!

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edit.... had Murphy in there first.... but opted for Edwin instead.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna get around to more in depth opinion later, but I love the Gordon Fisherman/Schimpf Scampi analysis.

My gut disagrees with the Baez/Healy take; although I agree with you that Maddon is another SciosciaPath in the making, in this case, I'll go with the pedigree.

Play Ball! :D:D

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edit.... had Murphy in there first.... but opted for Edwin instead.

I like the list but i do have a question... is Baez really going to be a bust?? he doesn't really have an everyday position and it is not like he had a great season last year either... Was this more of a cubs HYPE pick??

talking about cubs Hype.. i am SOOOO low on Schwarber in all leagues where he doesn't have catcher eligibility....

I like your guts on Ryon Healy... but i generally am not a fan of taking sleepers from CRAPPY teams...

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the list but i do have a question... is Baez really going to be a bust?? he doesn't really have an everyday position and it is not like he had a great season last year either... Was this more of a cubs HYPE pick??

talking about cubs Hype.. i am SOOOO low on Schwarber in all leagues where he doesn't have catcher eligibility....

I like your guts on Ryon Healy... but i generally am not a fan of taking sleepers from CRAPPY teams...

yup, Cubs hype train... if he falls to where he should, I wouldn't avoid him.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I could see schwarber hitting 30+ home runs. I'd definitely take him around 4 or 5.

I can't find my list from last year.... oh well.

C - Cameron Rupp/Brian McCann... Rupp will go undrafted in a lot of leagues. McCann will be taken as a top 10 or better Catcher. Yet what separates these two players is 4 HR, 20 Runs, 30 Walks and 15 K... that's how much "better" McCann was in more than 50-more at bats than Rupp.

1B - Tommy Joseph/Daniel Murphy... Edwin in Toronto (and the AL East)... good. Cleveland and the AL Central? No thanks. Take away Edwin's HR in Toronto and Baltimore and he is no better than Justin Smoak. I'm staying away. I guess two is too many Phillies, so I'll stop here, but I see 30 HR from Joseph quite easily. I'm pretty sure the Phils will play him everyday.

2B - Ryan Schimpf/Dee Gordon... call me crazy, I'm buying somewhat of a majority percentage in the Schimpf power from nowhere last year. At a late price, sure will. Gordon on the other hand, is way over rated, imo. Not touching him.

3B - Ryon Healy/Javier Baez... Is Healy the new A's Donaldson? I might be taking some shots at him. Baez, while I'm a huge fan, and banked on him last year (and failed...but not just him). Joe Maddon will bounce him around and I'm not so sure his power upside is there without a terrible floor... trying to up the floor seems to take away his power. Being a Cubbie will keep his draft stock too high for me.

SS - Brad Miller/Trevor Story... I'm kinda buying what Miller did last year. At least enough to wait at SS without fear. While others will go for the newer blood and big names, the upside of Story doesn't entice me enough to buy that high.

OF - Randal Grichuk/Adam Jones... Grichuk might have been on last year's list (if I could find it), and even after a "terrible" start, he finished fine. My beef was the sporadic playing time he received last year even in the midst of his hot streaks. Hoping that stops this year. 30 HR (and 10 sb) seem very reachable to me. Jones is the poster boy for steady early round dollar value. Year after year, he never disappointed, even if he never amazed... but those days are over. Jones is a no go for me, I think he has literally fell off the map.

SP - Dylan Bundy/Chris Sale... If Bundy can start consistently getting through 6 innings, watch the eff out! Sale will find out the difference between the AL Central and the AL East early and often... total bust, probably not, as the Red Sox offense is still elite, so some Wins will still be there.

RP - Carousel not worth discussing right now.... or maybe I just don't have the effort/time atm.

Baseball has been very, very good to me!
I had Trevor Story last year. I picked him up a day before the season started. I would take him around 4 or 5 as well. The guy has some talent and he plays in the best ball park for hitting homeruns. If he stays healthy he will be a top 5 shortstop.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see schwarber hitting 30+ home runs. I'd definitely take him around 4 or 5.

I had Trevor Story last year. I picked him up a day before the season started. I would take him around 4 or 5 as well. The guy has some talent and he plays in the best ball park for hitting homeruns. If he stays healthy he will be a top 5 shortstop.

I have learned this a long time ago... and this is not just about you... BUT NEVER LISTEN TO A HOMER....

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have learned this a long time ago... and this is not just about you... BUT NEVER LISTEN TO A HOMER....
I totally understand. The Cubs seem to think he's the best hitter on the roster though. And he could be leading off a lot, giving him more opportunities to hit home runs and see quality pitches in front of Bryzzo.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure about Gordon busting. He hits at the top of a lineup which has Yelich and Stanton behind him. Add in 50 steals, and you got something.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good sleeper list, though. In case I want to do FBB this year.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure about Gordon busting. He hits at the top of a lineup which has Yelich and Stanton behind him. Add in 50 steals, and you got something.

Well, there's the rub. Still, I will agree with you about his lineup position. That is a pretty sweet spot.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally understand. The Cubs seem to think he's the best hitter on the roster though. And he could be leading off a lot, giving him more opportunities to hit home runs and see quality pitches in front of Bryzzo.

Didn't you hear him? He's not listening! :pound::pound::pound:

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let's get back to this bust thing: Whatta you guys think about Adam Eaton?

This guy has pissed me off for so many years now, I would automatically rank him as a bust.

But oh, the potential in that Nats lineup...I wouldn't buy high on him, but if the right situation came around...

...maybe, just maybe? :scratch:

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let's get back to this bust thing: Whatta you guys think about Adam Eaton?

This guy has pissed me off for so many years now, I would automatically rank him as a bust.

But oh, the potential in that Nats lineup...I wouldn't buy high on him, but if the right situation came around...

...maybe, just maybe? :scratch:

closer to a sleeper than a bust... but i don't see anything TOO special...

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw @MilkSpiller22 - as to calling Sale a bust with the BoSox, well...I think that is a matter of perspective, draft position and league format. An ace is an ace.

I will admit it's not thrilling that he ended up where he ended, but still...was he a better option while with the White Sox?

This is actually an interesting matter to ponder.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw @MilkSpiller22 - as to calling Sale a bust with the BoSox, well...I think that is a matter of perspective, draft position and league format. An ace is an ace.

I will admit it's not thrilling that he ended up where he ended, but still...was he a better option while with the White Sox?

This is actually an interesting matter to ponder.

don't remember calling him a bust... But ironically i do believe he will be... But the term bust should really be used carefully, because it is silly to think Sale won't be a startable fantasy pitcher... the bust just means you don't see him being a top 10 pitcher... which i don't... and here is the biggest reason why, and this is true for all lefty pitchers in Fenway... Righty hitters have the advantage in fenway, Elite Lefty pitchers generally are shut down against lefties... so there is no advantage at all for a lefty SP in fenway.... Its not a coincidence that the Greatest red sox pitchers are all Righties...

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't remember calling him a bust... But ironically i do believe he will be... But the term bust should really be used carefully, because it is silly to think Sale won't be a startable fantasy pitcher... the bust just means you don't see him being a top 10 pitcher... which i don't... and here is the biggest reason why, and this is true for all lefty pitchers in Fenway... Righty hitters have the advantage in fenway, Elite Lefty pitchers generally are shut down against lefties... so there is no advantage at all for a lefty SP in fenway.... Its not a coincidence that the Greatest red sox pitchers are all Righties...

Well...pretty close, wouldn't you say? I guess it can be a matter of interpretation.

"SP - Dylan Bundy/Chris Sale... If Bundy can start consistently getting through 6 innings, watch the eff out! Sale will find out the difference between the AL Central and the AL East early and often... total bust, probably not, as the Red Sox offense is still elite, so some Wins will still be there."

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well damn, I mixed you up with @TKOSpikes .

I give myself BAD CAKE!

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As to Sale. Yeah, I don't think he'll drop out of the top 30 or anything... but I do think he'll be pushing to stay in the top 20.

Let me put it this way. I don't think he'll be as good as Price was last year. And I think Price (3.93 ish) was the only pitcher in the top (can't remember... 12? 15? 20?... probably 12) with an ERA over 3.30 ish.

I don't think he can pitch the innings Price can, and his K rate seemed to plummet late last year...and it seemed on purpose.

So, will he kill your fantasy team? Absolutely not. Should he be drafted as a top 5, top 10 option? Definitely no, for this guy.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where are you guys on Adam Duvall? He had a lot of power last year and is being drafted relatively low for someone who could hit 30+ home runs?