• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Roster

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We currently sit with around $5.5M in cap savings. Thoughts on this:
1) Free retires and we save $5M.

2) Cut/trade Romo and it's $5M more. that puts us at $15.5M in savings.

3) Cut Crawford post 6/1 and it saves us $7.25M in 2017. Yes, this leaves $7.3M unallocated which will hit in 2018 for Crawford, BUT if we keep him we pay an additional $7.25M in 2017 and still incur the $7.3M if we cut him next year or incur a $9.1M cap hit if we keep him in 2018 and no chance he looks to be worth that. So there is little chance he is on the team in 2018 unless he becomes a totally different player, so do it now

4) use Crawford's savings to sign Hankins. You get a much better player with not much 2017 or 2018 cap impact.
Teaming Hankins with Collins would be a very solid middle IMO. Our run defense gets way, way better and I don't think our pass defense suffers much. This also allows us to not have to worry about DT in the draft and if we focus on DE we may get our better pass rush there. Also, since this is kind of cap neutral we still are way under the 2017 salary cap since #1 and #2 are happening anyway, so we could still sign a DB or DE now or post 6/1 if some guys are cut.
I think what gives the thought if cutting Crawford some merit is the way Coach Rod rotates his D Linemen. Crawford's contract looks pretty bad based on last year's production. To PDay's point, om sure the Cowboys brass realizes this as well, so if they don't cut him, they must feel he has a bounce back year left in the tank. I think ant FA's the Cowboys sign may come after the draft, as this draft matches up well with their needs on D

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what gives the thought if cutting Crawford some merit is the way Coach Rod rotates his D Linemen. Crawford's contract looks pretty bad based on last year's production. To PDay's point, om sure the Cowboys brass realizes this as well, so if they don't cut him, they must feel he has a bounce back year left in the tank. I think ant FA's the Cowboys sign may come after the draft, as this draft matches up well with their needs on D
Not sure I understand that point unless you guys are saying Crawford is a much better "guy" than Hankins. I don't think that is the case but would somewhat agree if it is (I really don't know). Another important point is Crawford is another guy who seems to be hurt a lot. When he is out he isn't helping us at all and when he is playing injured he really isn't helping either.

To me it's simple. if both are FAs which would you prefer? Crawford at what is left on his deal or Hankins for whatever it would take to sign him? I am a big fan of Hankins so to me they aren't even in the same ball park. I get holding onto the hope that Crawford becomes the player we thought he would, but at some point that becomes unlikely. Perhaps it's now or perhaps it's some time in the future.

The draft is meaningless to the topic because if we cut one and sign one it in no way should change how we would draft. We should still be building through the draft. But we should also be maximizing our cap dollars with the best players we can put on the field.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I understand that point unless you guys are saying Crawford is a much better "guy" than Hankins. I don't think that is the case but would somewhat agree if it is (I really don't know). Another important point is Crawford is another guy who seems to be hurt a lot. When he is out he isn't helping us at all and when he is playing injured he really isn't helping either.

To me it's simple. if both are FAs which would you prefer? Crawford at what is left on his deal or Hankins for whatever it would take to sign him? I am a big fan of Hankins so to me they aren't even in the same ball park. I get holding onto the hope that Crawford becomes the player we thought he would, but at some point that becomes unlikely. Perhaps it's now or perhaps it's some time in the future.

The draft is meaningless to the topic because if we cut one and sign one it in no way should change how we would draft. We should still be building through the draft. But we should also be maximizing our cap dollars with the best players we can put on the field.
The point is, I think it's very possible the Cowboys cut Crawford, but choose to replace him through the draft or a bargain FA instead of spending money on a non pass rusher

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point is, I think it's very possible the Cowboys cut Crawford, but choose to replace him through the draft or a bargain FA instead if having dead money and spending money on a non pass rusher
Yes, agree. Also a possibility. Or add a FA at another position with the savings. Heck, we can sign a guy like Hankins and keep Crawford if we wanted to. My point was more based on the fact that it won't really cost us much to upgrade from one to the other and it would still allow us to add a couple of DL in the draft.

But for me personally I only cut him if I add a player that I think will be better than him on the DL because I think our DL needs help already. I'm not trying to get cheaper right now, I'm trying to get better or deeper. now if we draft a couple of DL early and they look like players then I might change that stance and cut him any way.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know but it seems to me this team is less about players that play the game for the money. This team is all about players that love the game of football first and money second. Could be wrong but it appears Hankins is about the money first. Why else would he still not be signed?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps, but I don't hold that against the player. I think everyone is out for the money first on their first FA contract. Crawford sure didn't give us a hometown discount on his.

The Romo contract is crushing us. But I blame the team, not him.

I always thought Hankins was a good guy and a guy that went about things the right way, but I really don't know. Crawford seems that way too, but never stood out to me as more model player/teammate than many others.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know but it seems to me this team is less about players that play the game for the money. This team is all about players that love the game of football first and money second. Could be wrong but it appears Hankins is about the money first. Why else would he still not be signed?
That's why I think this team has a chance to be special again. Stephen has given JG his teeth back as HC, and they are changing the culture to a blue collar team, similar to the Patriots IMO. They also have a QB, who reminds me of Aikman, not in style of play but work ethic and commitment to winning, that will set the tone for all the young players

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why I think this team has a chance to be special again. Stephen has given JG his teeth back as HC, and they are changing the culture to a blue collar team, similar to the Patriots IMO. They also have a QB, who reminds me of Aikman, not in style of play but work ethic and commitment to winning, that will set the tone for all the young players
There is so much good with this team to be excited about. Like I said somewhere on here the other day. Even if we take a step back from last years record (no shame in winning less than 13 games), we should be a contender for years to come. The odds of having another draft like last year any time soon are slim, but if we continue to draft well we will be as good as anyone.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now we are cutting T. Crawford ??????

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like he signed it after a preseason game one yr. I remember thinking how in the hell is he making that much money.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did a quick read on Bell and sounds like a good signing. He can play both T and G and has a lot of experience. He did miss all of last season due to injury.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crawford is not being cut this year. Most likely not next year, either. Where did this come from? Has anyone bothered to look at his contract?

2017 Cap Hit: $10,350,000
2017 Dead Cap: $17,650,000

2018 Cap Hit: $9,100,000
2018 Dead Cap: $7,300,000

There is absolutely no way he is going anywhere this year. And it is highly unlikely next year as well.

I can't wait for Dallas to be rid of this contract -- it's horrible -- but it won't be anytime soon. Restructures biting us in the ass again.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crawford is not being cut this year. Most likely not next year, either. Where did this come from? Has anyone bothered to look at his contract?

There is absolutely no way he is going anywhere this year. And it is highly unlikely next year as well.

I can't wait for Dallas to be rid of this contract -- it's horrible -- but it won't be anytime soon. Restructures biting us in the ass again.
Yep...most likely another restructure, But I don't assume all restructures are necessarily always a bad thing.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's his cap hit if he's on the team in 17. Post June release saved 7.5M but of course it adds some dead money in 18 and 19.