• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Roster

Ekspozed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paea Hankins in the middle would make it easier on our LBs and whoever our ends are. Collins on Passing downs, Tthorton if anyone is tired.

Ekspozed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crawford was bad extension.

Ekspozed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure you are bud.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any interest in Josh Gordon if/when he is released? 1 year prove it deal? Too much of a distraction/risk?

Ekspozed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he's eligible to play, this year, I'd pick him up fast np.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crawford is not being cut this year. Most likely not next year, either. Where did this come from? Has anyone bothered to look at his contract?

2017 Cap Hit: $10,350,000
2017 Dead Cap: $17,650,000

2018 Cap Hit: $9,100,000
2018 Dead Cap: $7,300,000

There is absolutely no way he is going anywhere this year. And it is highly unlikely next year as well.

I can't wait for Dallas to be rid of this contract -- it's horrible -- but it won't be anytime soon. Restructures biting us in the ass again.
Actually, I'm not sure if you looked or not, but his 2017 salary just became guaranteed. Before that it wasn't so cutting him was a much different situation earlier than it is now.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, I'm not sure if you looked or not, but his 2017 salary just became guaranteed. Before that it wasn't so cutting him was a much different situation earlier than it is now.

Even before the 2017 base salary became guaranteed it made no sense to cut Crawford this year. Before his 2017 salary became guaranteed, Crawford's dead cap was still over $10m, effectively making it a wash to cut him. Considering you can't replace Tyrone Crawford for $0, it didn't make sense then, and it doesn't make sense now (or much sense next year, either). Maybe after 2018...

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going through the whole thing again. You can read it. Cutting him wouldn't just be a 2017 thing. If you cut him today you would save $7.3M against cap next year or you could go post 6/1 and save $7M this year and still break even as compared to a pre 6/1 next year, but you get rid of the shitty contract for all years going forward (current cap hit if we keep him is about $10M per year for the next for years). the point was we have room right now to do something else and Hankins is WAY better than Crawford. It's not apples to apples. If Romo gets cut post 6/1 then we need to protect next year. If he gets a pre 6/1 (like he should) then next year should be open. But I'm fine either way, especially if the team thinks Crawford will finally be the player we thought we were signing. He had a couple of good games late last year where he started bringing pressure. Maybe it was just getting healthy.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we have about $6M in cap space. We get $5M for Doug Free. At some point we will do something with Romo. Why do this Witten extension? I haven't seen the details, but this is obviously just a pure kick the can down the road move. It doesn't even look like we are interested in signing anyone now and shouldn't have a problem extending Martin as is. I can't even figure out why they want the extra space this year as compared to in future years. They must have spoken and agree to add a year on because he probably wasn't ready to make this his last year, but we should be chipping away at that cap hit, not pushing it into the outer years. :scratch:

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we have about $6M in cap space. We get $5M for Doug Free. At some point we will do something with Romo. Why do this Witten extension? I haven't seen the details, but this is obviously just a pure kick the can down the road move. It doesn't even look like we are interested in signing anyone now and shouldn't have a problem extending Martin as is. I can't even figure out why they want the extra space this year as compared to in future years. They must have spoken and agree to add a year on because he probably wasn't ready to make this his last year, but we should be chipping away at that cap hit, not pushing it into the outer years. :scratch:

Because we're keeping Romo! Quarterback competition baby!

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes I think you complain to just complain. This deal adds no additional guaranteed dollars in Witten's pocket It couldn't be any more team friendly. The Cowboys can restructure his contract and add 4M. That money will be needed if Dallas has an opportunity to add a difference maker in a trade later this offseason or during the season. This is all about Witten's cap numbers in the future being manageable and allows the Cowboys to keep their younger players when their contracts come up. Witten is the heart & sole of this team and I'm darn sure glad he allowed Dallas to make such a team first move.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes I think you complain to just complain. This deal adds no additional guaranteed dollars in Witten's pocket It couldn't be any more team friendly. The Cowboys can restructure his contract and add 4M. That money will be needed if Dallas has an opportunity to add a difference maker in a trade later this offseason or during the season. This is all about Witten's cap numbers in the future being manageable and allows the Cowboys to keep their younger players when their contracts come up. Witten is the heart & sole of this team and I'm darn sure glad he allowed Dallas to make such a team first move.
None of that makes any sense at all. My comment on it being stupid has NOTHING to do with signing Witten. I'm not even sure how one could take it that way. This is kicking the can down the road. I know you have looked at that as a good thing from your comments in the past so I'm not surprised you don't have an issue. But there is no upside to this and it wasn't needed. Get the cap hit out of the way. The team finally started to stop with the dumb restructures and only did the ones on guys that were less likely to hurt in the future and then they do this? Witten isn't playing 4 more years. This is strictly hurting tomorrow to help today and as we sit here today it doesn't even look like they will use the cap space they created. If there is a plan for the cap space, make the move then if it materializes:noidea: