• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Roster

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry you don't see the upside after I explained it to you. It allows additional money should an opportunity present itself to add a player this offseason....like the Gmens DT you rant about. It adds no additional guaranteed dollars in Witten's pocket and only benefits the team going forward. I know Witten won't play 4 more years and I also know when the dead money hits, it will be marginable....besides, it's not like teams never have dead money.

We are coming outta the cap hell regardless if you don't like the move, I do and it appears most see it for what it is, total team friendly and a class act by a class player

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right IF it turns out we need the money it's something to consider then. But, there was no need today. I haven't seen the details, but It's likely just Math and only one thing was accomplished and that was to Move some cap hit out of 2017 and into future years. There are times when that is needed like Frederick and Smith and Lee. But it being dumb IMO has nothing to do with whether or not it's a class act by Witten. It's about did we need the cap room now and will we be wishing we had the cap room a couple of years from now. If we sign a guy in the next few days I think there are still other players we probably should have done first but at least then the rationale behind it would be evident and it would then not be something I would consider dumb

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right IF it turns out we need the money it's something to consider then. But, there was no need today. I haven't see the details, but It's likely just Math and only one thing was accomplished and that was to Move some cap hit out of 2017 and into future years. There are times when that is needed like Frederick and Smith and Lee. But it being dumb IMO has nothing to do with whether or not it's a class act by Witten. It's about did we need the cap room now and will we be wishing we had the cap room a couple of years from now. If we sign a guy in the next few days I think there are still other players we probably should have done first but at least then the rationale behind it would be evident and it would then not be something I would consider dumb

I can't explain it any better than I already did.
Total class act when 90% of the players playing today woulda demanded additional dollars guaranteed to their extension. It's anything but dumb, but you're entitled to your opinion. I guess it's a darn shame you don't run the cowboys. Lord knows you complain enough.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL... For years now I've said, it's good to be judge.

Too Funny! :suds: :thumb:
And for years you still are unable to see who is the one judging? I'm just explaining my opinion. But have at it...

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because we're keeping Romo! Quarterback competition baby!

Man I wish , but I think a lot of bridges have been burned. I think they try to trade him during the draft. Who knows though.? He may be commentating the draft by then. Lol

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And for years you still are unable to see who is the one judging? I'm just explaining my opinion. But have at it...
keep pointing that finger and keep telling yourself you're different.

the witten signing was team friendly....sorry someone disagrees with your opinion here

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously it won't happen, but imagine if Cooper became the player he was drafted to be:hope:. Collins starting out at LG as expected. let's see how it ends up.

Garrett Has La’el Collins On Guard First Over Possible Move To Tackle

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 10:27 AM CDT

PHOENIX – Following Ronald Leary’s free-agent departure, La’el Collins has a “great opportunity” to step back in at left guard first rather than a possible move out to right tackle, Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett says.

Collins suffered a toe injury in the third game of the 2016 season that required surgery and sidelined him for the remainder of the year. Leary, a former Cowboys starter, filled in capably and recently signed a four-year deal worth a reported $36 million with the Denver Broncos.

“We wish Ron nothing but the best,” Garrett said Tuesday at the NFL Annual Meeting in Phoenix. “He was an outstanding player for us during his time with the Cowboys. But it’s a great opportunity for L.C. to come back and earn that spot. We signed Jonathan Cooper, who was with us at the end of the year, so we can create some competition there.”

Though an official announcement has not been made, indications are that right tackle Doug Free is heading for retirement – a decision that would also require a replacement on the Cowboys’ offensive line.

Free, who has been with the Cowboys since they drafted him in 2007 fourth round, dealt with foot and ankle injuries in recent years and had surgery the previous two offseasons.

“Doug Free’s a great football player,” Garrett said. “He’d play 10 more years if he was healthy, but he’s been dealing with a number of things in his body the last few years and in his mind it was time to move on.”

Chaz Green, a 2015 third-round pick, made two starts at left tackle for an injured Tyron Smith last season and is a top candidate at right tackle if he can stay healthy. The Cowboys signed five-year veteran Byron Bell last week for competition.

Collins and All-Pro right guard Zack Martin played got tackle experience at LSU and Notre Dame, respectively, giving the Cowboys flexibility on the line if needed.

“(Martin) is one of those guys who has a great feel and understanding of the game and has the physical traits to do a lot of different things. In an ideal world, though, we’d like to keep him at guard,” Garrett said.

The approach is similar with Collins.

“I think that would be in his best interest,” Garrett said. “But again, he has some position flex. Both those guys played tackle in college so they have a lot of experience in games at a high level doing that. But we’re going to give him a chance to play left guard first.”

Ekspozed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Witten being classy has nothing to do with how this helps the team. Sure classy of being being paid as a top te but losing steps.

This move does not help the team unless they sign someone this year with the needed money. If not, why do the deal? Helps the team none. We are getting out of cap hell but why invest money into an old te that needs replacing soon. Patriots wouldn't do this deal.

Ekspozed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure we will try a bunch of line comps.
Highest ceiling would be Smith cooper Fred martin Collins.
Also if cooper flakes and Collins excels at lg, we go with 4 guys with experience with each other, let bell and green battle for last spot.

Either way I love our offensive line and not worried about it.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only if it's less than a 1st.
Though he'd be a great fit here. Rod going back to zone corners to fit his defense. Carr and Claiborn didn't fit his defense
Yea can't give up first.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going through the whole thing again. You can read it. Cutting him wouldn't just be a 2017 thing. If you cut him today you would save $7.3M against cap next year or you could go post 6/1 and save $7M this year and still break even as compared to a pre 6/1 next year, but you get rid of the shitty contract for all years going forward (current cap hit if we keep him is about $10M per year for the next for years). the point was we have room right now to do something else and Hankins is WAY better than Crawford. It's not apples to apples. If Romo gets cut post 6/1 then we need to protect next year. If he gets a pre 6/1 (like he should) then next year should be open. But I'm fine either way, especially if the team thinks Crawford will finally be the player we thought we were signing. He had a couple of good games late last year where he started bringing pressure. Maybe it was just getting healthy.

No one needs you to "explain" it again.

I differ in opinion from you on the subject, that is all.

To cut Crawford--before his salary became guaranteed--was not worth it this year. Even if it were to clear room for Hankins. Maybe after this season it would be worth revisiting. Sometimes we have to live with our mistakes, and Crawford is one of those times. Hankins is not so much of an upgrade over Crawford that he is worth eating the dead money and then turn around and give Hankins around $7-8m AAV on a long term deal - you would effectively be paying $15-18m in cap space to accommodate Hankins and be rid of Crawford this season. Then the Cowboys would be locked in for the years beyond that to Hankins. I don't think Hankins is someone Dallas needs to be hitching their wagon to. I'd rather just keep Crawford one more year and punt on the decision until next year, when there might be better options on the market. Aside from all that, Hankins would probably only play 1-tech for us and wouldn't be a direct replacement for Crawford.

As far as the unused salary cap space, maybe Dallas is building as much free cap space this year as possible, in order to roll it over to next year? At this rate, if Romo is traded or released prior to 6/1 they may be able to roll over around $10m with no Romo dead money for 2018. Then go nuts next year in Free Agency.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the problem with rolling it over is it is more restrictive than just taking the savings in a future year. so if you make your salary cutting move when you need to you can still decide how you do it and how much you do it. So for cut players it's pre or post 6/1 for example. But when you do the move ahead of time you've tried to predict in the future how it will best work. There is just no reason for it. The best way to get your cap under control is to stop the stupid spending which we have done. The second step for us was to stop kicking the can down the road which we seemed to have done until this one. We need to get these prior year cap hits off the books once and for all and it seemed we were so close to doing it.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You boys are entitled to your opinions. IMO it's a "classy" team friendly move when zero dollars of guaranteed money is not part of this extension. That is seldom done. It helps the team should they elect to add a piece this year by freeing up 4M. The game is played one season at a time and this is why Jason's deal is team friendly.
It has nothing to do with kicking the can down the road, nor what the New England Patriots would do.

That's all I will say about it....opinions vary again. I can live with that....hopefully you boys can

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You boys are entitled to your opinions. IMO it's a "classy" team friendly move when zero dollars of guaranteed money is not part of this extension. That is seldom done. It helps the team should they elect to add a piece this year by freeing up 4M. The game is played one season at a time and this is why Jason's deal is team friendly.
It has nothing to do with kicking the can down the road, nor what the New England Patriots would do.

That's all I will say about it....opinions vary again. I can live with that....hopefully you boys can

That is well put.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree:

Ekspozed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah so classy to extend his contract. Hes being paid, and will continue to be paid at a level that does not fit his production anymore.

The season is played one season at a time but you have to plan for the future as you go.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah so classy to extend his contract. Hes being paid, and will continue to be paid at a level that does not fit his production anymore.

The season is played one season at a time but you have to plan for the future as you go.
Not the first I agreed with you.