• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NHL Draft/ Free Agency

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I thought it was a very solid draft. Keep piling up speed. I watched the McCleod highlight videos and what is there not to like about a big center who is fast as hell, will score and can also pass?
Plus give credit to Shero. I am sure the top 10 didn't exactly pan out how Shero thought it would.
No panic from the Devils. They were able to gain a 3rd, move down a spot, and still pick up McCleod while getting Bennett.
Wildcard with the health, but any 3rd is a wildcard to get into NHL anyway. Lets hope the trade works out like Palmieri last year.

Even the pickups like Maltsev are promising. 2 way forward looked good in the videos and profile write ups. Gignac is not a big player, but again, fast. Also with smaller players, he has been improving which is what you'd like to see.
Joe Anderson had a strong Under 18 tournament for team USA.

With Mcleod who might not be ready next year, and Zacha who probably will get a good shot next season, we now have some prospects with talent on offense.

Before Shero, after round 1, the picks would always either be a defenseman or a defensive forward.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah I am glad they didn't go defense on the first few rounds. I'm tired of that Era of Devils defense hockey. Just get some speed skill and speed how many times a game does krieder blow past our d?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I say this at first, i know i wanted Keller but didn't realize how bad i wanted him til i saw him get drafted... man i was nearly heartbroken.... then Jost was drafted and I'm like damn it, 0-2... no Nylander and not even Brown lol....

McCleod was then drafted and i like it.... super speed? Something i tend to bitch about or cry for over the years and we got it. Some argue that he goes too fast, well we know you can't teach speed but i'm sure we can control it/train it...

Seems like a very good pick to me IMO. Him, Pal and whoever would be the run n gun offense lol...

Throw in that he's only 18... yea... plenty of time and future here IMO.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still figuring out the trade for Bennett.... not buying nor not selling on it just yet lol

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I wanted Keller too. Nylander I think would've been a super steal if he fell. Jost I wasn't really sold on. His ceiling is equal to praise which is good but honestly he didn't get us over the hump here and needed kovy to do it. I rather a legit true center. McLeod is projected as a 2c. And zacha will move to wing probably so we still need our #1 center. Go out and get stamkos!

Obviously he doesn't want to sign with us but damn it would be great timing. When you look at his choices if he leaves Tampa are we that much different then. The leafs? Buffalo? Wings?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to say i think we could've done more with the 3rd rd picks in terms of trades for nhl player or moving up in the draft....

If Yakupov was truly on the table for a mere 3rd, i would've rolled the dice.... so that's a bit mehhh with me.

Don't get the goalie selection that high, i think thats universally regarded as the wtf pick by Shero n Co by most Devils fans.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yea, as fans, we do have to trust these scouts. I mean, we can all ready articles and watch videos, but I doubt any of us are travelling to these cities in North America and Europe, and sitting in the stands watching these kids play on a random weeknight. That goalie must have caught an eye of a scout or 2 to be picked up.

As for McCleod, I heard the same thing about being too fast lol. I think what they meant is sort of like Hagelin. Hagelin is really fast but at least early on in his career, he was also a pretty dumb player. So you can be fast like a deer out there on the ice, but if you are also not that smart (like a deer), what good is it. Watching guys like Hagelin, with or without the puck, its not good always to be skating full speed all around the ice.
Kind of tough to explain. Hope its not the case with McCleod. That is a problem with some hockey players where their hockey IQ isn't that great.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Some of us played hockey in the past. Pee wee, high school, college, whatever. I am sure we knew that player that was very fast, but positionally clueless or couldn't pass for example.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, if we had taken the goalie in the 2nd I'd be a bit more irked but a 4th rounder? I feel like the odds of us hitting a home run on a goalie in the 4th are much higher than hitting one on a skater in the 4th.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Too fast hahahahaha that's a good problem to have I like it!

Interesting that the Devils didn't extend qualifying offers to Merrill smith pelly annnnnd Bennett. Wtf? They become ufa July 1st now? That's a big gamble no? I'm sure Bennett will sign before hen Shero wouldn't have dealt him if he didn't know.

Merrill though is expansion bait same with pelly. Hell he had a great start to his Devils career wonder what's up? Cap money isn't an issue so are the owners holding back with spending ?

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently they are still in talks with all 3 of those guys so it's not like they flat out cut all ties. I still believe they get locked up by Friday. Not worrying just yet.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some surprises among the Devils' RFAs not extended qualifying offers - Fire & Ice

"The simple explanation is this: The team still retains the rights to the players until Friday and a team source characterized the Devils as both "hopeful" and "confident" deals will be done with those players. Talks with those players were described as "positive."

Per the collective bargaining agreement, players who made $1 million or more last season must be qualified at at least 100 percent of their salary. Players who earned between $660,000-$1 million must be qualified at at least 105 percent and players who earned less than $660,000 must be qualified at at least 110 percent.

Merrill earned $840,000, Bennett earned $800,000 and Smith-Pelley also earned $800,000. Not extending a QO actually gives general manager Ray Shero more flexibility in settling on a price with that trio. And if Shero expended a third-round pick to get Bennett, it seems logical that a deal would be close. You don't just throw away a third-round pick."

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Man o man what a cba.

Imagine getting a 110% pay increase!

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too fast hahahahaha that's a good problem to have I like it!

Interesting that the Devils didn't extend qualifying offers to Merrill smith pelly annnnnd Bennett. Wtf? They become ufa July 1st now? That's a big gamble no? I'm sure Bennett will sign before hen Shero wouldn't have dealt him if he didn't know.

Merrill though is expansion bait same with pelly. Hell he had a great start to his Devils career wonder what's up? Cap money isn't an issue so are the owners holding back with spending ?
The biggest complaints when it comes to Mcleod is he's too fast and doesn't finish. He has A high hockey IQ and extremely high work ethic. We know A players shot can be improved with work. Mcleod is learning how to control his speed. When to accelerate and when to slow down. If you watch the clips it seems like his inability to finish on breakaways is because he's going way to fast. I believe when he learns to switch gears and slow it down when he has to. With his exceptional stick handling. Burying the puck in the net will follow. I also like that they drafted his lineman Bastian just like you cant teach skill. You cant teach chemistry.And Bastian has a great shot That makes me like the Mcleod pick even more

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

it's a rumor and perhaps headlines bait but.....

i'm slightly torn but in the end, i'll pull the trigger.... see if i could offer Merrill plus more...

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So just throwing this together real quick, assuming we resign the RFAs and don't make any big free agent signings we could look something like this:

Boucher-Henrique-Camm
Palmieri-Zajac-Zacha
Kalinin-JJ-Smith-Pelley

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So just throwing this together real quick, assuming we resign the RFAs and don't make any big free agent signings we could look something like this:

Boucher-Henrique-Camm
Palmieri-Zajac-Zacha
Kalinin-JJ-Smith-Pelley
I know its quick as you said, Blandsi gets the boot eh?

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know its quick as you said, Blandsi gets the boot eh?

He was the toughest one to decide on. Not sure he beats any of those guys out for top 6 and the 3rd line was a toss up. I'm not sure I like him in that role over the other 2 wingers there. Good problem to have though. Maybe JJ gets bumped down and you could play Zacha at center?

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I saw that tweet. I'm fine giving up severson for Hopkins easily!

This summer quality d men could be had. Yandle gologski to a lesser extent kulikov all moved this summer alone. Next year shatenkirk is a ufa.

Land Hopkins and turn around and offer stamkos 7 for 11 a year.

Palmeri stamkos Henrique
Boucher Hopkins zacha
Blendsi zajac smith pelley/Bennett

Yeah I know I can dream lol

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Oops forgot cammalerri on the top line. It's easy for him to be forgotten since he will be hurt by November.