• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Entry Draft

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder if we end up using every pick. Think it might be hard to jump up from 18 to the next tier, but using our 2nds to get back into the 1st round would be alright with me. Someone always falls

With now 11 picks, I'd expect to package 2 or 3 of them to either move up or trade for a player we can insert immediately. It would be pretty unreal if Hexy could do something with MacDonald also...Lol

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With now 11 picks, I'd expect to package 2 or 3 of them to either move up or trade for a player we can insert immediately. It would be pretty unreal if Hexy could do something with MacDonald also...Lol

Player we can insert immediately, you say?

It is the most wonderful time of the year

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, they did what they had to do to win another Cup, but I hope they've mortgaged their future and put themselves in cap hell in the process. It's not necessarily likely, but it's entirely possible.
Hopefully

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to have 2 1st round picks. I'm going to be crazy drunk at this event Friday.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to have Lecavalier retire before the draft, then trade Arizona's 4th rounder back to them along with MacDonald (plus salary retention or cash if necessary) all for just future considerations.

Arizona is still a team, right? They literally have only 9 players signed for next season...Lol They can barely put one line out on the ice.

Last edited:

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to have Lecavalier retire before the draft, then trade Arizona's 4th rounder back to them along with MacDonald (plus salary retention or cash if necessary) all for just future considerations.

Arizona is still a team, right? They literally have only 9 players signed for next season...Lol They can barely put one line out on the ice.
Also, won't they lose a player through the new expansion?

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I understand correctly we are about to receive our 11th draft choice for this draft. Arizona just made a trade with San Jose to acquire a 4th round pick which looks like it will be transferred to us as a part of the Pronger trade. Had they not acquired a 4th round pick this year we would have received Arizona's 2017 3rd.
This stinks! With SJ being at the bottom of the draft this season and Arizona most likely being near the top of the draft next year this was a drop off of at least 20 spots

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, won't they lose a player through the new expansion?

That's a good question. I'm almost certain that all of their players currently under contract will be either exempt or protected however...Lol

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a hypothetical question, if Mason does get picked by the expansion team, do we extend Neuverth right away or just wait and see how the season goes?

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a hypothetical question, if Mason does get picked by the expansion team, do we extend Neuverth right away or just wait and see how the season goes?

It depends on how much we save by signing him earlier. I don't expect him to get the paycheck that Mase did regardless. Does anyone really? He has a ton of potential to be a starter, but has never really proven that he can stay healthy and handle the workload for an entire season. He appears to be a guy who raises his level in the clutch though and that is very valuable to us.

Basically, if we sign him to a long term deal for closer to $2 million per than $4 million per, our potential reward is a lot greater than the risk.

Last edited:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't want to turn into Dallas and be running with two starting goalies, both north of $4.5 million per. That's insane.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After having read up on the expansion draft, it's a bit of a bummer that we have to protect Ghost. He is somehow not exempt.

We can protect 7 forwards, 3 defensemen and 1 goalie. So, we will protect Giroux, Voracek, Couturier, Simmonds, Schenn, Raffl almost certainly. That leaves one of Laughton/Cousins at risk. We'd also protect Ghost along with two of MDZ/Gudas/Hagg. So, one of those defenders is at risk.

Then it gets tough because we can only protect one of Mason/Neuvirth/Stolarz. I predict it will be Neuvy. Mason will walk and Stolarz probably won't get taken from us as he's just not established enough.

At the end of the day, it's a real blessing that most all of our top prospects are not quite at the pro level yet or have only been there for a season. This expansion draft comes at a really manageable time for us.

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After having read up on the expansion draft, it's a bit of a bummer that we have to protect Ghost. He is somehow not exempt.

We can protect 7 forwards, 3 defensemen and 1 goalie. So, we will protect Giroux, Voracek, Couturier, Simmonds, Schenn, Raffl almost certainly. That leaves one of Laughton/Cousins at risk. We'd also protect Ghost along with two of MDZ/Gudas/Hagg. So, one of those defenders is at risk.

Then it gets tough because we can only protect one of Mason/Neuvirth/Stolarz. I predict it will be Neuvy. Mason will walk and Stolarz probably won't get taken from us as he's just not established enough.

At the end of the day, it's a real blessing that most all of our top prospects are not quite at the pro level yet or have only been there for a season. This expansion draft comes at a really manageable time for us.
Here is a question, has the expansion draft always been this way? When the Flyers came into the league, did we get lottery picks and good players from other rosters like it is today?

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a question, has the expansion draft always been this way? When the Flyers came into the league, did we get lottery picks and good players from other rosters like it is today?

It looks like each expansion team had to pay one of the original six teams $2 million back in 1967, then each original team could protect 11 skaters and 1 goalie. That is actually one more than today, but I know nothing of exemptions or lottery picks.

Hey, we took Bernie Parent 2nd overall, so that worked out well for us. The goaltenders were apparently all chosen first. We also took Ed Van Impe, Joe Watson and Gary Dornhoefer. These are clearly some of the guys we went on to win Cups with, but I don't recognize many of the others.

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like each expansion team had to pay one of the original six teams $2 million back in 1967, then each original team could protect 11 skaters and 1 goalie. That is actually one more than today, but I know nothing of exemptions or lottery picks.

Hey, we took Bernie Parent 2nd overall, so that worked out well for us. The goaltenders were apparently all chosen first. We also took Ed Van Impe, Joe Watson and Gary Dornhoefer. These are clearly some of the guys we went on to win Cups with, but I don't recognize many of the others.
That's pretty cool to know. New expansion teams seem to do very well early stages in the league it seems. In about 4 years I predict Las Vegas will be a SC contender.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I don't think any elite level players will be lost by anyone (except for goalies), but perhaps some younger players that may be elite one day. I mean, just look at Toronto. How are they going to protect all of their young prospects?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This stinks! With SJ being at the bottom of the draft this season and Arizona most likely being near the top of the draft next year this was a drop off of at least 20 spots

As of yesterday afternoon Arizona hadn't decided which pick they'll give up, it's apparently their choice. But as you've laid out here, it doesn't make any sense for them to do the 3rd next year instead of the 4th this year. I wonder why they're waiting?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It depends on how much we save by signing him earlier. I don't expect him to get the paycheck that Mase did regardless. Does anyone really? He has a ton of potential to be a starter, but has never really proven that he can stay healthy and handle the workload for an entire season. He appears to be a guy who raises his level in the clutch though and that is very valuable to us.

Basically, if we sign him to a long term deal for closer to $2 million per than $4 million per, our potential reward is a lot greater than the risk.

I think even more so it depends on who plays better this season. They're both UFA after next year, so we'd only move forward with one of them anyway. Whoever plays better this season gets a new contract, whoever doesn't is gone (via expansion draft or just free agency). That's how i'd play it anyway.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know we are all split on this but I would rather move forward with Neuvy.