• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 2015 NBA Draft

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
because they were planning for Kobe's replacement instead of drafting a bigger need for this season in Okafor.

Okafor has been the top rated player all season up until Towns LA workout, and all of a sudden the Lakers think he's garbage and take Russell instead.

they took more stock in a couple of workouts versus the tale of the tape. anyone can have a bad workout or two- it happens. game tape should have greater weight than a couple of workouts.

I think those workouts were the tipping point- hence, the overthinking.

Workouts with the team is far more important than watching tape. They need a guy who is in the right mind set.

There was clearly something about Russell that Mitch and the coaching staff liked about him, more so than Okafor.

The Western Conference is all about small ball. You're more likely going to get killed by guys like CP3, Curry or Harden. If we can get a player out of Russell that can fit amongst those guys then we have the star of the draft.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Workouts with the team is far more important than watching tape. They need a guy who is in the right mind set.

There was clearly something about Russell that Mitch and the coaching staff liked about him, more so than Okafor.

The Western Conference is all about small ball. You're more likely going to get killed by guys like CP3, Curry or Harden. If we can get a player out of Russell that can fit amongst those guys then we have the star of the draft.

so a couple workouts trump a whole season of production?

that makes no sense.

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
because they were planning for Kobe's replacement instead of drafting a bigger need for this season in Okafor.

Okafor has been the top rated player all season up until Towns LA workout, and all of a sudden the Lakers think he's garbage and take Russell instead.

they took more stock in a couple of workouts versus the tale of the tape. anyone can have a bad workout or two- it happens. game tape should have greater weight than a couple of workouts.

I think those workouts were the tipping point- hence, the overthinking.

And how exactly doesn't Russell fill the void of Kobe's replacement?? That to me, is overthinking.

And WHO exactly said Okafor was "garbage"? That to me, is highly dramatic!

I think the Lakers took the player they believed to be the best overall (according to many) in the draft.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so a couple workouts trump a whole season of production?

that makes no sense.

Pretty sure the front office saw tapes of Okafor too. What would the excuse be when Kobe retires and we have nobody to come in his place?

Yes, we need a big. But it's a lot easier to get one in free agency than it would be to get a SG in a years time.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Explain EXACTLY why Okafor is the BETTER pick?

I didn't say he was the better pick, just a bigger position of need.

but, I must say, I am starting to warm up to Russell.

can't say the same about Nance.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid draft. No problem with taking Russell. I think he and Okafor are about equal prospects so you can't go wrong either way. I did find it interesting that Scott said during an interview that Russell was "the best player left on our board" which means they had him graded higher than Okafor the whole time.

Hated the Nance pick. Nothing against him but from a value standpoint, its a terrible move. Everything I saw had him as a 2nd round to undrafted grade yet you grab him in the 1st, thus guaranteeing him a contract. For a team trying to clear cap space, that's just dumb. If they couldn't trade out, take a Euro to stash. At the very least, take a player that has first round talent. Hunter, Harrell, Looney, etc all would have been better choices if you're keeping the pick.

Brown is perfect for a 2nd round pick. He's got a specific skill and can find a role.

And likely best of all, Russell to go along with Clarkson most assuredly means no Rondo. HALLELUJAH!

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say he was the better pick, just a bigger position of need.

but, I must say, I am starting to warm up to Russell.

can't say the same about Nance.

Fair enough and I agree!

FWIW ANGELAKERAMS, my apologies my holier than thou posts. I need to learn people can have opinions, which most of the time are more accurate! :pound:

:suds:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of pundits are really disliking the Nance pick not so much on the skills side of things but where the Lakers picked him. Calling him a reach pick, the value assessment is way down. Conversely, the Anthony Brown pick is getting great reviews as both a good value and a pick bringing excellent skills. Perhaps Mitch got a Phil attitude because of the thinning talent and said eff it and just threw a dart up on his board.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They might have picked Nance before Brown due to his selection by the Globetrotters? Maybe they needed a guaranteed to contract for him?

Regardless, he's an outstanding athlete with a strong motor, strong defense, and an improving perimeter shot. I was skeptical at first, but am warming up to him quickly.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree shopson, I was elaborating on what the pundits were throwing around this morning. Nance was one of the 83 players the Lakers brought in so they completed their due diligence and he'll work out fine. Some have suggested the Nance and Brown picks are the end of the Kelly experiment but I am not so sure.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Supposedly Nance killed it at his Lakers workout. Can't wait for Summer League, the lineup looks stacked:

Randle, Clarkson, Black, JBrown, Russell, Nance Jr, ABrown, Upshaw, Ashley are all expected to play.

That's a better lineup than the Lakers regular season team, lol.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Supposedly Nance killed it at his Lakers workout. Can't wait for Summer League, the lineup looks stacked:

Randle, Clarkson, Black, JBrown, Russell, Nance Jr, ABrown, Upshaw, Ashley are all expected to play.

I can't find anything about Upshaw being on the Lakers summer league.

where did you find that story?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Indeed Shopson. That is a talent-laden roster and hopefully it'll be inserted into the regular season roster with a few additions.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't find anything about Upshaw being on the Lakers summer league.

where did you find that story?

There were two stories ALR on Upshaw that I am aware of being posted. One on Yahoo Sports and the other in SBNation. Don't know if either are still around though.