• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Overspend in Free Agency Thread

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol - My math is a little off, regular season about three months away, training camps will start in a little over 2 months though,

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you might want to put me on ignore until that contract is bought out (next summer?)
because it honestly just gets funnier every day

And miss all your quality posts? Not a chance.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting to look that way...

Bring on the fun!

Your boy Nill was on 590 yesterday morning here talking about the trade and describing how Murray wanted guys like Nick Paul and Nik Hanson and he just kept saying no until he took what he wanted to give. Pretty good insight into how good GM's do business. I'm jealous.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol - My math is a little off, regular season about three months away, training camps will start in a little over 2 months though,

Prospects camp is going on here. Always something goin on in the hockey universe.

phoenixrising

Shiprock
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't believe the Canucks gave 10M for Vrbata, although only for 2 year contract, he goes there even though Boston wanted him, so I'm glad he went. Still 5M a year for an up and down player, looks good one year, not the next. Overpay?

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Legwand scored 40 pts playing top line minutes in Nashville, and caught on with a scorching hot Wings team. Did you see him in the playoffs? Yeah, neither did Wings fans.

Hey, can you tell me what Stephen Weiss, Tim Connolly and David Legwand all have in common? They were all 50 pt centres who signed as UFA's! Your boy is in great company.

Methot and Phillips? Did you even watch your own team last season?

And while I already said the Leafs are awful and don't take offence to Leaf bashing and apparently that doesn't get through to you, I'd just like to thank Ottawa (or Kanata or whatever cow pasture the Sens barn is located in) for showing Leaf fans such hospitality by giving us a lower ticket option and 3/4's of the arena every time the Leafs are in town. It's even sweeter when the season ticket holders ignore Eugene's emails instructing the poor saps NOT to sell tickets to Leaf fans and they do so anyway.

"Have a great season watching a team with one legit NHL forward, a midget goalie who got lucky for one season, a defense led by a caveman with a billion dollar contract alongside some useless kids and a coach who can't walk and chew bubble gum at the same. While you do it keep enjoying a team that will be lucky to get 50 points this year while charging an average of $3000 for single game tickets. :lol:

I would respond to how stupid this is if I didn't actually find it kind of funny.

Like I said, for a Sens fan to actually be in support somehow of a GM who has no clue what he's doing or what his plan is and throw unprompted shade at the Leafs is just kinda sad. Hey, maybe the Kool-Aid tastes better with the Ottawa River water.

So Legwand is compared to two guys who signed contracts after 50 point seasons? Are we just throwing out random names of centers who score more than 50 points then signed as UFAs? Ron Francis, Mark Messier!!! WOOHOOO. Legwand will solidify a HOF career with Ottawa!! Aren't random, anecdotal examples awesome??!! The fact of the matter is that in all likelihood he won't be as bad as Connolly was and he won't be as great as Messier or Francis.

Now, are you saying that Marc Methot is not an NHL-calibre defenseman? Really? The same Marc Methot who was invited to the Canadian Olympic team camp? I'm not sure I'm the one who needs to watch more games here.

While I'm no fan of Bryan Murray (I actually was hoping Tim would take over but he left for Buffalo), to say his moves this year have no direction is not true. I actually alluded to it in the post that you quoted but I'll try this again:

THESE MOVES ARE DESIGNED TO TRY TO MAKE THE TEAM BIGGER AND MORE DEFENSIVELY RESPONSIBLE UP FRONT. THIS APPLIES TO THE CURRENT ROSTER AND TO PROSPECTS. THIS INCLUDES THE PIECES IN THE SPEZZA TRADE AND THE LEGWAND SIGNING.

Now are these attempts going to be successful in generating wins? Who knows but there is a direction there. I won't even go so far to as to say I agree with that direction but it's there. I personally prefer more of a focus on skating and two-way play than size.

I guess this makes me a Kool-aid drinker. When Neil and Phillips are given too much ice-time it drives me crazy and I'll say it to anyone who's interested. When Joe Corvo was signed I was far from ecstatic. When Alfredsson moved on I knew it had something to do with Melnyk's lunacy. I wasn't a fan of the Gonchar signing. I'm not a fan of how prospects like Pageau, DaCosta and Wiercioch have been handled in the last year or so. But I say that signing David Legwand for $3M is a smart move and now I'm just a Kool-aid drinker.

Ohh and finally. Just a heads up. Nothing says Leaf fan douchism louder than mocking the location of a hockey rink and what people do with their tickets (not me or any member of the actual hockey team)

Last I checked this wasn't stubhub or some fucking urban planning message board.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Legwand scored 40 pts playing top line minutes in Nashville, and caught on with a scorching hot Wings team. Did you see him in the playoffs? Yeah, neither did Wings fans.

Hey, can you tell me what Stephen Weiss, Tim Connolly and David Legwand all have in common? They were all 50 pt centres who signed as UFA's! Your boy is in great company.

David Legwand didn't sign a massive contract like Stephen Weiss and Tim Connolly did

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last I checked this wasn't stubhub or some fucking urban planning message board.

Says the guy who just brought up "$3000 single game tickets" and club level Starbucks (they only serve Tims in the ACC, btw)...

Oh, and that same Olympic Orientation Camp also invited the "billion dollar caveman". Excellent metric choice.

And with those "getting bigger up front" lines, I swear you're repeating word for word 2010 Brian Burke press conferences. Good luck with that.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Legwand didn't sign a massive contract like Stephen Weiss and Tim Connolly did

Connolly signed for a million more per for one less year? Same ballpark.

Weiss' contract is right up there with Clarkson's, true. I just see Legwand as in a similar spot career-wise as those two centres.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Connolly signed for a million more per for one less year? Same ballpark.

Weiss' contract is right up there with Clarkson's, true. I just see Legwand as in a similar spot career-wise as those two centres.

Legwand has averaged 48 points per 82 games over a long career. He's signed for $3M in a 70 mil cap era, for two years. Weiss and Connolly don't really compare either in style of play, contracts at the time of signing, injury history... in short they don't compare really at all.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Says the guy who just brought up "$3000 single game tickets" and club level Starbucks (they only serve Tims in the ACC, btw)...

Oh, and that same Olympic Orientation Camp also invited the "billion dollar caveman". Excellent metric choice.

And with those "getting bigger up front" lines, I swear you're repeating word for word 2010 Brian Burke press conferences. Good luck with that.

Umm. Seeing as we're unfamiliar with satire those things were said in mockery of your decision to bring up forensic investigations and the like in response to a hockey signing.

Satire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your boy Nill was on 590 yesterday morning here talking about the trade and describing how Murray wanted guys like Nick Paul and Nik Hanson and he just kept saying no until he took what he wanted to give. Pretty good insight into how good GM's do business. I'm jealous.

He was very clear in the interview he gave down here on 6/30 that he would not overpay just because the market might dictate it. And - he is an interesting interview. Very candid and not afraid to put his stance out there.

I'm so damn happy he's the GM down here.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted Jim Nill as GM of the Flames when he was available, instead Jay Feaster landed the job. We all know how that turned out.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was very clear in the interview he gave down here on 6/30 that he would not overpay just because the market might dictate it. And - he is an interesting interview. Very candid and not afraid to put his stance out there.

I'm so damn happy he's the GM down here.

Yeah. I think you guys are lucky to have him. He seems unafraid to make moves and thinks things through.

I hope Spezza plays well for you guys. He was awful for most of the first 50-60 games last year but he was dynamite down the stretch. Him and Hemsky can create some real magic. They'll be fun for you guys to watch.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Prospects camp is going on here. Always something goin on in the hockey universe.
Starting in Vancouver on Monday too.
Exciting times after a long (playoff free) summer

Can't believe the Canucks gave 10M for Vrbata, although only for 2 year contract, he goes there even though Boston wanted him, so I'm glad he went. Still 5M a year for an up and down player, looks good one year, not the next. Overpay?

It's not a coincidence that UFA rhymes with overpay.
Well maybe it is, what the fuck do I know.

But we needed some offense, and got it at not-laughable money and decent term.
RH shot, good at the coinflip, may but up lofty numbers if he sticks with the Sedins.

Not a steal, but not a bad signing.
He said he turned down same money and more term elsewhere

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umm. Seeing as we'reunfamiliar with satire those things were said in mockery of your decision to bring up forensic investigations and the like in response to a hockey signing.

Satire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Glad to see that worked out for you. Keep up the excellent work.

Also, might want to proof-read your smartass posts, lest you accidentally self-deprecate any further...

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad to see that worked out for you. Keep up the excellent work.

Also, might want to proof-read your smartass posts, lest you accidentally self-deprecate any further...

:L

So I didn't tap the space bar once. That's all you've got? Or are you trying to nitpick the use of the colloquial "we".

I avoided saying YOU as it addresses you directly and is more confrontational. As in when a student who is part of a group fucks around and gets WAY OFF TOPIC the teacher doesn't say "BBB doesn't know how let this go, blah blah blah" they will instead say "Since we're not able to let this go, we'll continue talking about shit that has nothing to with the free agent signing that most fans and hockey pundits find a good blend of money and term. In other words the signing of David Legwand and the actual topic at hand."

But seeing as I'm becoming increasingly less concerned about being confrontational and/or offending you, I'll re-phrase it for you: since YOU are unfamiliar with satire...you or my secretary can fill in the rest.

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. I think you guys are lucky to have him. He seems unafraid to make moves and thinks things through.

I hope Spezza plays well for you guys. He was awful for most of the first 50-60 games last year but he was dynamite down the stretch. Him and Hemsky can create some real magic. They'll be fun for you guys to watch.

I'm looking forward to the prospect of having an honest-to-God second line for the first time in awhile. Still gonna come down to goaltending in the long run.