• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Overspend in Free Agency Thread

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hey. He's no David Clarkson but what can you do? :whistle:

I mean he wouldn't fit on the Leafs due to the fact that he doesn't have a Corsi number in the negative double digits but we will just have to settle for him anyway. :suds:

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a really good signing, IMO.

The Sens will now have great center depth. No true, top end #1 but great depth.

Turris
Legwand/Zibanejad
Legwand/Zibanejad
Smith
Pageau

I like it.

I'd love to see some kind of upgrade to the blueline but I think this team might surprise.

I like that signing a lot.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Kenny, can you spare a Zibanejad? (since it appears you have two of them)

:D

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Kenny, can you spare a Zibanejad? (since it appears you have two of them)

:D

No deal!!

OK we'll trade him for Monahan and Gio if you really insist.

But as per my lineup above you only get him for half the time and Legwand for the other half.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Legward = $3m
Engelland = $2.92 mill (and more term)

that is still funny as fuck

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey. He's no David Clarkson but what can you do? :whistle:

I mean he wouldn't fit on the Leafs due to the fact that he doesn't have a Corsi number in the negative double digits but we will just have to settle for him anyway. :suds:

The Leafs are wandering aimlessly, but man oh man are the Sens completely and utterly without direction. Let me know who they name captain next so I can get ready for the trade demand in 6 months.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Leafs are wandering aimlessly, but man oh man are the Sens completely and utterly without direction. Let me know who they name captain next so I can get ready for the trade demand in 6 months.

HAHA.

OK then. Instead of getting rid of our captain who wasn't working we'll extend him for $7M per? Good idea in your books?

I'd be willing to bet that the Sens come closer to the Cup than the Leafs for the 11th straight year, but feel free to post more 1-emoticon responses to prove how bad they are if it makes you feel better.

As a Leafs fan I'll let you know when I want a club-level Starbucks coffee to make ME feel better. It'll likely be right around the time the Leafs don't choke on their own wrinkled cocks. See you in 2024.

What's that saying about glass houses?

Canuck eh?

Big Flat Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HAHA.

OK then. Instead of getting rid of our captain who wasn't working we'll extend him for $7M per? Good idea in your books?

I'd be willing to bet that the Sens come closer to the Cup than the Leafs for the 11th straight year, but feel free to post more 1-emoticon responses to prove how bad they are if it makes you feel better.

As a Leafs fan I'll let you know when I want a club-level Starbucks coffee to make ME feel better. It'll likely be right around the time the Leafs don't choke on their own wrinkled cocks. See you in 2024.

It's gonna be a fun year! :clap:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HAHA.

I don't work for the Leafs. I know they're terrible as currently constructed and don't hide from it.

But hey, I'm sure having three centres who barely combine for 100 points will work WAY better for the Sens than it did for the Leafs. I'm also positive the two legitimate NHL defencemen the Sens have will do everything they can to stop a million goals from flying past their two awesome goalies that are obviously way better than the all star they traded to Tampa for a gold mine.

But don't worry, Melnyk will keep initiating forensic investigations into people who do bad, bad things to his beloved hockey team as he continues to slash payroll.

Man, and they say Leaf fans are delusional. You should be furious with the way your team is being run and instead, like an Isles fan, you hold on to the same strings of hope that your boneheaded GM will somehow not be an idiot this year and buy Dany Heatley another lake.

Canuck eh?

Big Flat Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't work for the Leafs. I know they're terrible as currently constructed and don't hide from it.

But hey, I'm sure having three centres who barely combine for 100 points will work WAY better for the Sens than it did for the Leafs. I'm also positive the two legitimate NHL defencemen the Sens have will do everything they can to stop a million goals from flying past their two awesome goalies that are obviously way better than the all star they traded to Tampa for a gold mine.

But don't worry, Melnyk will keep initiating forensic investigations into people who do bad, bad things to his beloved hockey team as he continues to slash payroll.

Man, and they say Leaf fans are delusional. You should be furious with the way your team is being run and instead, like an Isles fan, you hold on to the same strings of hope that your boneheaded GM will somehow not be an idiot this year and buy Dany Heatley another lake.

:laugh3: Please see post #791.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ummm Turris and Legwand alone combined for 109 points last year. Zibanejad as a 20 year old score atjust about a 0.5 PPG pace. That's pretty decent depth down the middle

I'd also argue Karlsson, Methot, Phillips and Cowen are legit NHL defensemen. Ceci was for half a season last year as well. I'm not crazy about the defense but there are some pretty decent young players who hopefully improve from last year.

While I'm far from happy with Melnyk's penny-pinching, I'm sane enough to step back from the edge and call a good signing a good signing. Our GM just signed a 50 point center, two-way center for $3M with perfect term. What's not to like?

But let's just throw about unsubstantiated hyperbole instead. I can do that too. Here goes:

:laugh3:

Have a great season watching a team with one legit NHL forward, a midget goalie who got lucky for one season, a defense led by a caveman with a billion dollar contract alongside some useless kids and a coach who can't walk and chew bubble gum at the same. While you do it keep enjoying a team that will be lucky to get 50 points this year while charging an average of $3000 for single game tickets. :lol:

Am I doing it right? Ohhh and have fun with a GM who thinks CORSI is something chicks wore to make them all skinny-like in the old-timey days and already has one foot in the back door of Brian Burke's office in Calgary.

Now back to the topic at hand. The Senators will have replaced Spezza and Hemsky with Legwand and Chiasson. I actually like that DIRECTION. More competitive, two-way forwards who bring some size to the table. It's a drop off in scoring (not all that great based on last year's numbers) but it does fit the image of what the team's coach and GM have been selling. I think it will be an overall improvement given the defensive misadventures the Spezza line had last year. For a really young team that finished 5 points out of the playoffs I don't think it's a stretch to suggest that they might surprise people and be a playoff team this year.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm Turris and Legwand alone combined for 109 points last year. Zibanejad as a 20 year old score atjust about a 0.5 PPG pace. That's pretty decent depth down the middle

I'd also argue Karlsson, Methot, Phillips and Cowen are legit NHL defensemen. Ceci was for half a season last year as well. I'm not crazy about the defense but there are some pretty decent young players who hopefully improve from last year.

While I'm far from happy with Melnyk's penny-pinching, I'm sane enough to step back from the edge and call a good signing a good signing. Our GM just signed a 50 point center, two-way center for $3M with perfect term. What's not to like?

But let's just throw about unsubstantiated hyperbole instead. I can do that too. Here goes:

Have a great season watching a team with one legit NHL forward, a midget goalie who got lucky for one season, a defense led by a caveman with a billion dollar contract alongside some useless kids and a coach who can't walk and chew bubble gum at the same. While you do it keep enjoying a team that will be lucky to get 50 points this year while charging an average of $3000 for single game tickets. :lol:

Am I doing it right? Ohhh and have fun with a GM who thinks CORSI is something chicks wore to make them all skinny-like in the old-timey days and already has one foot in the back door of Brian Burke's office in Calgary.

Now back to the topic at hand. The Senators will have replaced Spezza and Hemsky with Legwand and Chiasson. I actually like that DIRECTION. More competitive, two-way forwards who bring some size to the table. It's a drop off in scoring (not all that great based on last year's numbers) but it does fit the image of what the team's coach and GM have been selling. I think it will be an overall improvement given the defensive misadventures the Spezza line had last year. For a really young team that finished 5 points out of the playoffs I don't think it's a stretch to suggest that they might surprise people and be a playoff team this year.

And can't operate a toaster properly

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Puck drop just a little over 2 months away, it'll be here before we know it.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

David Legwand scored 40 pts playing top line minutes in Nashville, and caught on with a scorching hot Wings team. Did you see him in the playoffs? Yeah, neither did Wings fans.

Hey, can you tell me what Stephen Weiss, Tim Connolly and David Legwand all have in common? They were all 50 pt centres who signed as UFA's! Your boy is in great company.

Methot and Phillips? Did you even watch your own team last season?

And while I already said the Leafs are awful and don't take offence to Leaf bashing and apparently that doesn't get through to you, I'd just like to thank Ottawa (or Kanata or whatever cow pasture the Sens barn is located in) for showing Leaf fans such hospitality by giving us a lower ticket option and 3/4's of the arena every time the Leafs are in town. It's even sweeter when the season ticket holders ignore Eugene's emails instructing the poor saps NOT to sell tickets to Leaf fans and they do so anyway.

"Have a great season watching a team with one legit NHL forward, a midget goalie who got lucky for one season, a defense led by a caveman with a billion dollar contract alongside some useless kids and a coach who can't walk and chew bubble gum at the same. While you do it keep enjoying a team that will be lucky to get 50 points this year while charging an average of $3000 for single game tickets. :lol:

I would respond to how stupid this is if I didn't actually find it kind of funny.

Like I said, for a Sens fan to actually be in support somehow of a GM who has no clue what he's doing or what his plan is and throw unprompted shade at the Leafs is just kinda sad. Hey, maybe the Kool-Aid tastes better with the Ottawa River water.