• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Thread

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ike Taylor is working out as hard as he ever has this off-season - Behind the Steel Curtain

Typical of Taylor... Even after 10+ years in the league he has a fire burning inside him like a rookie trying to prove himself. Wouldn't be surprised if he rebounded next season. I still wouldn't put him in the WR1 cover role but having him as a CB2 or 3 is great depth. William Gay is still my main concern and probably always will be lol.

I may have shared that a good friend of mine knows Ike fairly well (met him through coach Mitchell actually). Been to Ike's home, etc. Per him, Ike is a workout nut, probably will always be in better shape than the average former NFL player.

Speed is the one part of the game that you just can't make up for 100% with knowledge at the CB spot.

I gained a lot more confidence in Gay last year, but I'm like you...I'm not totally comfortable with him as the starter...far better than I expected.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may have shared that a good friend of mine knows Ike fairly well (met him through coach Mitchell actually). Been to Ike's home, etc. Per him, Ike is a workout nut, probably will always be in better shape than the average former NFL player.

Speed is the one part of the game that you just can't make up for 100% with knowledge at the CB spot.

I gained a lot more confidence in Gay last year, but I'm like you...I'm not totally comfortable with him as the starter...far better than I expected.

That's awesome! Ike is a stand up guy. He always takes the time to shake hands and inquire about people when signing autographs.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hearing from Tomlin, Mitchell, Butler, Lake

A lot of reiteration in this article. But one thing I thought was an eye-opener was Mitchell's comment on saying Tuitt compares to a young, faster version of Aaron Smith. That thought should instill a lot of confidence into the young man. We'll see once they go full speed & full contact in Latrobe. Answers will come fast at that point.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hearing from Tomlin, Mitchell, Butler, Lake

A lot of reiteration in this article. But one thing I thought was an eye-opener was Mitchell's comment on saying Tuitt compares to a young, faster version of Aaron Smith. That thought should instill a lot of confidence into the young man. We'll see once they go full speed & full contact in Latrobe. Answers will come fast at that point.

That's good to hear...coach Mitchell usually doesn't blow smoke. I think his development will take some pressure off the OLBs...I think he will be in the rotation and make some plays this season.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phase 4 - Day 7 (OTAs)
Note: Day 6 was a team building day where they all went to Dave&Busters.

PHOTOS: 2014 OTAs - Day 7

Interviews:
Thomas: Thomas on knowing the Defense
Shazier: Shazier on Coach LeBeau and Timmons
Worlids: "I think everything will fall in line." - Worilds
Blake: Blake on His Role
Blount: Blount on the Steelers Offense
Mitchell: Mitchell: "This is what I love to do"

Jarvis is ready to make the leap:
Jones: 'Now I am settled in'

Shmarko is progressing:
Thomas: 'I have progressed a lot'

PIT locked up Pouncey through 2019:
Steelers sign Pouncey to contract extension

More optimism from Munchak:
Mike Munchak: 'I think you're going to see the best offensive line play' the next few years - Behind the Steel Curtain

Pretty happy about this:
Atlanta Falcons will appear on HBO's Hard Knocks in 2014 - Behind the Steel Curtain

Lots of good stories floating around the net this week… Check out BTSC & SteelersDepot whenever you get a chance.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phase 4 - Day 7 (OTAs)
Note: Day 6 was a team building day where they all went to Dave&Busters.

PHOTOS: 2014 OTAs - Day 7

Interviews:
Thomas: Thomas on knowing the Defense
Shazier: Shazier on Coach LeBeau and Timmons
Worlids: "I think everything will fall in line." - Worilds
Blake: Blake on His Role
Blount: Blount on the Steelers Offense
Mitchell: Mitchell: "This is what I love to do"

Jarvis is ready to make the leap:
Jones: 'Now I am settled in'

Shmarko is progressing:
Thomas: 'I have progressed a lot'

PIT locked up Pouncey through 2019:
Steelers sign Pouncey to contract extension

More optimism from Munchak:
Mike Munchak: 'I think you're going to see the best offensive line play' the next few years - Behind the Steel Curtain

Pretty happy about this:
Atlanta Falcons will appear on HBO's Hard Knocks in 2014 - Behind the Steel Curtain

Lots of good stories floating around the net this week… Check out BTSC & SteelersDepot whenever you get a chance.

OL...I read that article...at the risk of being redundant...I continue to think that Adams will factor more than a reserve this year...and, with the extension to Pouncey and more to come for DeCastro, Allen, etc...makes me think Johnson or Adams will be the RT next year.

Hard Knocks...me as well, so far it's been kind of a grin and bear it response so far here.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phase 4 - Day 8 (Last day of OTAs)

PHOTOS: 2014 OTAs - Day 8

Labriola/Prisuta Recap on last week of OTAs:
LIVE: Final week of OTAs

Labriola's OTA recap:
Labriola on the end of OTAs

Inked Archer:
Steelers sign 3rd round pick Dri Archer - Behind the Steel Curtain

Let's not forget about Will Johnson:
Steelers OTAs: Will Johnson working as fullback and tight end - Behind the Steel Curtain
Johnson's versatility pays huge dividends for the Steelers. He is basically filling 3 roster spots as a FB, TE, & RB which essentially gives them extra roster spots to use on other positions should they choose to. Having a player like that in your arsenal is something not many teams have.

A look back at the Keenan Lewis decision:
Steelers chose the right path by letting Keenan Lewis walk a different one - Behind the Steel Curtain
This is exactly what I preached last offseason. Carnell Lake had repeatedly told the press that he believed Allen was the more athletic of the two (Lewis & Allen). They went with the player that had the lower cost, but still had high upside. Only time will tell if they made the right choice since Allen still has a lot to prove. He had an under the radar year in '13, but looks to make the leap in '14.

More on Pouncey:
Can Maurkice Pouncey follow in the footsteps of Ray Mansfield, Mike Webster and Dermontti Dawson? - Behind the Steel Curtain

Worilds supposedly turns down Steelers offer?:
Y! SPORTS
Still trying to find validity to this because I haven't heard anything about it until I read this. I'm thinking it's a BS statement. If not, consider me worried. If they don't reach an agreement with Worilds before the season starts then I wouldn't get my hopes up to seeing Worilds in the black & gold in '15. Since the Steelers never do contract talks during the season then his fate is decided upon his play this season. If he plays well, then he will likely price himself out of the Steel City when he hits FA next offseason. I know he has injury concerns, but looking at the depth at OLB position one would conclude that the Steelers should be all-in with Worilds at this point. Moats, Zumwalt & So'oto are the only other OLB's on the roster. Moats being the most promising, but none of them know the system yet. So essentially if PIT loses Worilds next offseason they are looking at drafting and potentially starting another rookie OLB. I'm hoping Moats gets some spot starting here and there because they will need the insurance for next year. They need long term answers fast.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pouncey...not everyone thinks this is a good signing...I think Andrea needs to read the fine print...only 1 yr of Pouncey's deal is guaranteed...good job Colbert/Kahn.

Steelers Foolish in Giving Massive Maurkice Pouncey Extension | Bleacher Report

Worilds...I can see the dilemma here on the team's side as well the player...the sample is too short to offer a Kruger type contract...if they did make a long term off now, it should be below market. On the flip Worilds would stand to make far more if he can repeat LY so I wouldn't accept a low long term deal.

Either way if goes, I'm not that concerned as I don't see Worilds as a guy that can't be replaced.

Will...good point on his versatility...that might clear the way to keep 6 WRs.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worilds...Steeler Depot.com reported the same story so I think there is some validity to it...I would have to think he's going to make so much more this season (than the 1st year of this offer on the table) that he had to take the risk over the long term deal.

I'm not that worried.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phase 5 started today! Entering the "dog days" of summer now!

Reminder:
Phase 5 (Mandatory): Minicamp - June 17-19th
*Mandatory for all personnel. Basically same stuff as OTA's but more for rookies to get their first experience with the vets.

Phase 5 - Day 1
PHOTOS: 2014 Minicamp - Day 1

Videos:
Update: Troy and Mitchell excited to work together
Taylor: Taylor on minicamp: "It's baby training camp"
Williams: Vince Williams confident with playbook

Hearing from the coaches:
Tomlin: Tomlin on Chuck Noll and Minicamp
Haley: Haley excited to build off the end of last season
Munchak: Munchak: For me it's just getting to know the guys
Porter: Joey Porter: "I coach with my emotion"
Lake: Carnell Lake remembers Chuck Noll
Butler: Keith Butler on Ryan Shazier
Fichtner: Fichtner: "We just need Ben to play Ben football"
Saxon: James Saxon on Bell and Blount
Mann: Richard Mann on wide receivers
Smith: Danny Smith: "I think we've upgraded"

While I am definitely happy to see the entire team back together again, it was definitely a different feeling in the air coming from the seismic wake of the passing of one of the founding fathers of this organization. I'm glad to see and hear all of the coaches & players paying their respects, also glad to see the entire team in high spirits. It can't be easy for this team to go about it's business on the first day of mandatory camp after Noll's passing, especially when it happened not long after Bill Nunn passed. Horrible way to pass the offseason as fans of this amazing organization… They will never be forgotten!

My thoughts on TC today… Glad to have Poly back in the building! It's incredible that the entire team, aside from Troy, have been participating in OTA's. This group seems very determined to build that chemistry long before the pads come on at Latrobe. That sort of dedication is what championships are built from. Worilds was back at practice today, in limited fashion, but him being back on the field is encouraging nonetheless. Probably just the staff taking extra precautions with a much needed player at a rather thin position. Seeing Mitchell & Polamalu on the field together for the first time had to be an exciting moment. Both players seem very eager to play together, so let's hope for great chemistry. It was interesting to hear from Mann about the upcoming position battle for the #5 (& possibly #6) WR. Seems like Justin Brown is receiving a lot of praise so he should be one of many to watch in Latrobe.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phase 5 - Day 3 (Final day of Minicamp)
PHOTOS: 2014 Minicamp - Day 3

Videos
Tomlin: Tomlin wraps up Minicamp
Labriola & Prisuta Wrap-up: LIVE: Minicamp Wrap-up
Cortez: Cortez: Coach Tomlin challenged us at practice

News
Article on the rookies:
Rookies take steps, more to come

Jarvis:
Jarvis Jones isn't making any assumptions on his 2014 production - Behind the Steel Curtain

Tomlin challenging Bryant:
Mike Tomlin continues to break Martavis Bryant down with hard coaching - Behind the Steel Curtain

Blake looked slow in minicamp:
CB Antwon Blake "short and slow" at minicamp - Behind the Steel Curtain
Not good to hear after coach Lake instilled all that confidence in the kid. Like the article states, lets hope that it was just a bad day and he shows up big at TC.

Spence is turning heads:
Sean Spence looks fully healed as he returns an interception for a touchdown during minicamp - Behind the Steel Curtain

LeBackfield:
Le'veon Bell and LeGarrette Blount have been showing off their versatility in OTAs and minicamp - Behind the Steel Curtain
This is going to cause a lot of sleepless nights for opposing defensive coordinators!

Gilbert pushing himself:
Marcus Gilbert wants to be 'a complete and top right tackle' - Behind the Steel Curtain

Word on the grapevine is that PIT is pushing for a meeting with FA Flowers:
Source: Steelers are interested in free agent CB Brandon Flowers - Behind the Steel Curtain
Definitely raises some eyebrows, but of course nobody can be sure how valid this is. But if it is true, then someone's job is definitely on the line. I wouldn't expect them to land Flowers because he has a lot of interested parties involved, which would put him out of PIT's price range. He would definitely be a starter if he came to the Steel City, but don't get your hopes up.

Reports are surfacing that Worilds never received an offer:
Report: Jason Worilds never received contract offer from the Steelers - Behind the Steel Curtain
Go figure… I had my suspicions when I first heard he shot down their offer. Especially since it wasn't taking hold in the media other than 1 or 2 articles with a very brief statement on it.

Enjoy your "dog days" of summer everyone… See you in Latrobe

ENTERING PHASE 6

Reminder:
Phase 6: Off-time - June 20th - July 26th (1 month duration)
*Time when players usually go home to visit family, go on vacations, etc. I'm only including this because this is usually the time when most players tend to get into some sort of trouble with the team and/or law. Also when unnecessary rumors/gossip/bullshit starts thanks to people like Rapaport (Ian Rapoport).

Last edited by a moderator:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good stuff per norm Face.

Flowers...the new KC people think he's best suited for slot cover, not outside, thus way over paid...would he improve the CB situation in PIT? Absolutely, but a big name would need to be released to make room for him, and I think that would likely be Ike...nada.

Spence...I'm excited for the guy...really hope he rewards Tomlin and staff for the patience they showed getting him back healthy...he has the speed and no doubt the desire to be an impact player.

RBs...Amazing how quickly things have changed...not to slight Redman/Dwyer but we went from mediocre to below average to imo a strength at this position....if the DL progresses in a similar fashion...this team can do some damage down the road.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Pouncey got himself into trouble... "Allegedly"...

If he is found guilty then he may see a suspension... What better way to reward your franchise that just invested over $50mil into you.???

:L

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After further investigating the Pouncey situation I would like to make a few comments...

We all should know by now that NFL football players are huge targets for scammers and liars because they can provide a big pay day. The story that seems credible at first may prove to be either a gross exaggeration or an outright lie. Of course, the Pouncey brothers don’t have the spotless character references that the Bus had when that woman lied about him, and was proven to be a liar.

To be fair, Pouncey really doesn’t seem like the kind of person one of us would want to hangout with. We will never get the whole picture of what he is really like, but between Hernandez, Rainey, and his brother being involved in bully-gate he doesn’t necessarily hangout with the most reputable people.

That being said, I don’t want a bunch of choirboys on the team either, these guys do not get paid to be role models. Although it’s very nice that some strive to do so. Pouncey hasn’t got himself as deep of trouble as others and it seems like he’s going to get out of this as well, but I’d feel a whole lot better if he didn’t have those connections to those other players.

So in short I say... Reserve judgement yinz

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think either Pouncey is a "bad guy" if you will, but they both have an edge to them and typically when they are together you have stuff like this happen...I don't expect much to come out of this.