• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Thread

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phase 7 - Training Camp - Day 2

Photos: PHOTOS: 2014 Steelers Training Camp - Day 2

Interviews
Tomlin: Coach Tomlin on tackling and injuries
Mitchell: Mike Mitchell on groin injury
Blount: Blount: Contact is a big part of my game

Steelers work around the rain

TOMLIN’S INJURY UPDATE
“On the injury front, David Snow does have a foot fracture. That’s going to have to be surgically repaired, and that scheduling is tentative. We have several guys with little bumps and bruises associated with training camp and so forth. Martavis Bryant has got a groin injury. Le’Veon Bell didn’t finish – he experienced a little tightness in his hamstring. We’ll get that evaluated. C.J. Goodwin fell on his shoulder, and we’ll take a look at that. Don’t know how much time those guys will miss if any. Those are just kind of necessary things that go along with this time of the year.”

Commentary from Mann on the WR's:
WR is a position in transition

Bryant's injury:
Martavis Bryant on sideline during Sunday practice - Behind the Steel Curtain

Bell's injury:
Steelers RB Le'Veon Bell leaves practice with hamstring tightness - Behind the Steel Curtain

Shmarko to see increased role:
Shamarko Thomas off nickel duties, onto true calling - Behind the Steel Curtain

Haley excited about his offense:
Steelers Todd Haley: 'This is the most excited I've been about any offense I've had' - Behind the Steel Curtain

Justin Brown still making his case:
Justin Brown executing plan to perfection - Behind the Steel Curtain

The Steelers are entering their first practice of full contact today! Can't wait to see the fireworks!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phase 7 - Training Camp - Day 3

Photos: PHOTOS: 2014 Steelers Training Camp - Day 3

Highlights: Steelers complete first day in pads

Recap by Matthews/Labriola: LIVE: 1st practice in pads

Shazier commentary:
Shazier: 'I really liked the intensity'

Spence commentary:
Rapid Roundup - Tuesday

Bell dropped 20 lbs:
Steelers RB Le'Veon Bell dropped 20 pounds in the offseason - Behind the Steel Curtain

Shazier living up to the hype:
Steelers Ryan Shazier living up to the hype so far - Behind the Steel Curtain

Colbert said the Steelers are "open for business":
Pittsburgh Steelers GM Kevin Colbert hasn't eliminated return of Keisel or Harrison - Behind the Steel Curtain

Roster Moves:
Released C/G David Snow, and signed UDFA RB Josh Harris (Wake Forest).

Day 3 Observations:
* WR's... Moore is a poster child for consistency. He should do nicely filling Cotchery's shoes. Bryant was back in the saddle after his bad landing injury last Sunday. Made a couple nice grabs during 7 on 7 drills. DHB & J-Brown both didn't do much to excite anyone with pads on. J-Brown struggled to find separation in the secondary. Didn't see much spark out of Archer, but he showed a hard nose by being willing to run between the tackles. One pass thrown his way was intercepted by Worilds. Didn't get to see him in space much.
* RB's... Bell sat out of practice nursing a tight hammy. Blount is bigger than I imagined, should do wonders for the short yardage game.
* J-Peezy is still young at heart. He brought a lot of enthusiasm to the table. I don't think he stopped talking or yelling the entire practice! He almost jumped in for a rep on the backs on backers drill lol. Glad to see he is bringing that intensity back.
* D-line... Tuitt is definitely looking the part so far, both in size & ability. He dominated against the 2nd team offense, and held his own against the 1st making a few key stops against DeCastro. He also saw a few reps against the 3's, needless to say he looked like an all-pro at that point. This kid is going to be special! McClendon was running with the 2's all day. Mitchell is giving Cam Thomas a good look all along the D-line. Thomas is huge, but not bigger than McCullers. That kid is just downright gigantic. He plowed through DeCastro to make a tackle on one play! He demands the double team for sure. Heyward looks all sorts of primed for a huge season. He made Beachum look like he was still in high school.
* DB's... The DB group had a decent day. McCain, Blake & Richardson in particular made a couple great plays down the sidelines (tipped INT for Rich - great reaction... INT for Blake - great athleticism). Shmarko is a lot smaller than I thought, but built like a truck.
* LB's... Timmons was his usual All-Pro self. You can tell he is taking a big step in the leadership area. He was constantly coaching up the younger guys. Shazier is as fast as advertised. He blew by Blount twice in the backs on backers drill. But Blount popped him on the 3rd attempt, which staggered both of them! Zumwalt saw work all over, starting at ILB, then at OLB. Same with Jarvis & Moats. Jarvis had a mixed day. Beat Beachum handily on more than a few snaps, but then got stopped cold by 3rd stringer Paulsen in backs on backers. Looks like he hasn't developed any pass rush moves because he relied heavily on the bull rush. He's fast, but he needs more to his skill set. Moats looked the part, consistent tackling, good run coverage & instincts. Worilds had a mixed day as well. Looks stronger than ever, and even made a few key plays in the backfield, but he was beat twice out of 3 attempts in backs on backers. As we all assumed, the OLB's pass rushing is going to be a question mark. Hopefully both of them show some improvement by camp's end.
* QB's... Knee-jerk reaction is that Landry could be out of the job before the final 53. Brandon Kay has better size, and displayed better throwing & mobility. Looks like Jones is going to have to pick things up faster than he thought. Ben looks like he is in the best shape since joining the league. Still a lot of strength behind his passes as well, even looks like he is getting the ball out faster.
* The defense ran primarily out of the nickel during the first practice. Surprisingly with Robert Golden getting work in as the nickel corner.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read that the Steelers plan to retire Joe Greene's #75 during a game in November. As we all know it will only be the second number retired by the Steelers. (Earnie Statner's #70 is the other) :suds:

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read that the Steelers plan to retire Joe Greene's #75 during a game in November. As we all know it will only be the second number retired by the Steelers. (Earnie Stautner's #70 is the other) :suds:

Fixed.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phase 7 - Training Camp - Day 3

Photos: PHOTOS: 2014 Steelers Training Camp - Day 3

Highlights: Steelers complete first day in pads

Recap by Matthews/Labriola: LIVE: 1st practice in pads

Shazier commentary:
Shazier: 'I really liked the intensity'

Spence commentary:
Rapid Roundup - Tuesday

Bell dropped 20 lbs:
Steelers RB Le'Veon Bell dropped 20 pounds in the offseason - Behind the Steel Curtain

Shazier living up to the hype:
Steelers Ryan Shazier living up to the hype so far - Behind the Steel Curtain

Colbert said the Steelers are "open for business":
Pittsburgh Steelers GM Kevin Colbert hasn't eliminated return of Keisel or Harrison - Behind the Steel Curtain

Roster Moves:
Released C/G David Snow, and signed UDFA RB Josh Harris (Wake Forest).

Day 3 Observations:
* WR's... Moore is a poster child for consistency. He should do nicely filling Cotchery's shoes. Bryant was back in the saddle after his bad landing injury last Sunday. Made a couple nice grabs during 7 on 7 drills. DHB & J-Brown both didn't do much to excite anyone with pads on. J-Brown struggled to find separation in the secondary. Didn't see much spark out of Archer, but he showed a hard nose by being willing to run between the tackles. One pass thrown his way was intercepted by Worilds. Didn't get to see him in space much.
* RB's... Bell sat out of practice nursing a tight hammy. Blount is bigger than I imagined, should do wonders for the short yardage game.
* J-Peezy is still young at heart. He brought a lot of enthusiasm to the table. I don't think he stopped talking or yelling the entire practice! He almost jumped in for a rep on the backs on backers drill lol. Glad to see he is bringing that intensity back.
* D-line... Tuitt is definitely looking the part so far, both in size & ability. He dominated against the 2nd team offense, and held his own against the 1st making a few key stops against DeCastro. He also saw a few reps against the 3's, needless to say he looked like an all-pro at that point. This kid is going to be special! McClendon was running with the 2's all day. Mitchell is giving Cam Thomas a good look all along the D-line. Thomas is huge, but not bigger than McCullers. That kid is just downright gigantic. He plowed through DeCastro to make a tackle on one play! He demands the double team for sure. Heyward looks all sorts of primed for a huge season. He made Beachum look like he was still in high school.
* DB's... The DB group had a decent day. McCain, Blake & Richardson in particular made a couple great plays down the sidelines (tipped INT for Rich - great reaction... INT for Blake - great athleticism). Shmarko is a lot smaller than I thought, but built like a truck.
* LB's... Timmons was his usual All-Pro self. You can tell he is taking a big step in the leadership area. He was constantly coaching up the younger guys. Shazier is as fast as advertised. He blew by Blount twice in the backs on backers drill. But Blount popped him on the 3rd attempt, which staggered both of them! Zumwalt saw work all over, starting at ILB, then at OLB. Same with Jarvis & Moats. Jarvis had a mixed day. Beat Beachum handily on more than a few snaps, but then got stopped cold by 3rd stringer Paulsen in backs on backers. Looks like he hasn't developed any pass rush moves because he relied heavily on the bull rush. He's fast, but he needs more to his skill set. Moats looked the part, consistent tackling, good run coverage & instincts. Worilds had a mixed day as well. Looks stronger than ever, and even made a few key plays in the backfield, but he was beat twice out of 3 attempts in backs on backers. As we all assumed, the OLB's pass rushing is going to be a question mark. Hopefully both of them show some improvement by camp's end.
* QB's... Knee-jerk reaction is that Landry could be out of the job before the final 53. Brandon Kay has better size, and displayed better throwing & mobility. Looks like Jones is going to have to pick things up faster than he thought. Ben looks like he is in the best shape since joining the league. Still a lot of strength behind his passes as well, even looks like he is getting the ball out faster.
* The defense ran primarily out of the nickel during the first practice. Surprisingly with Robert Golden getting work in as the nickel corner.

Good Stuff Face!!! Thanks! I've never had this kind connection with the in camp.

My thoughts so far.

DL...no mention on N. Williams or Arnfelt tells me that McCullers is going to make this squad if he can keep this up...Are they still on the mend? Also...good to hear that Tuitt is looking solid early....I guess Keisel will be on speed dial if those guys don't look as if they can provide depth.

OL...man, we know Heyward is a budding All Pro, but it hasn't calmed my fear of LT...Will Beech be able to hold up?

LB...JJ, I think I gave you my schpill on him earlier...as an athlete I think he's maxed out...hopefully he does develop better technique and has a better understanding his role....I think this will be a front 7 pressure kind of team...not the dominant OLBs of the past.

WR...Moore...good to hear that especially, but I was expecting him to step in early...you know who I'm waiting to hear about...Wheaton.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good Stuff Face!!! Thanks! I've never had this kind connection with the in camp.

My thoughts so far.

DL...no mention on N. Williams or Arnfelt tells me that McCullers is going to make this squad if he can keep this up...Are they still on the mend? Also...good to hear that Tuitt is looking solid early....I guess Keisel will be on speed dial if those guys don't look as if they can provide depth.

OL...man, we know Heyward is a budding All Pro, but it hasn't calmed my fear of LT...Will Beech be able to hold up?

LB...JJ, I think I gave you my schpill on him earlier...as an athlete I think he's maxed out...hopefully he does develop better technique and has a better understanding his role....I think this will be a front 7 pressure kind of team...not the dominant OLBs of the past.

WR...Moore...good to hear that especially, but I was expecting him to step in early...you know who I'm waiting to hear about...Wheaton.

DL… Williams & Arnfelt have had a fairly quiet camp so far. Arnfelt has been seeing a lot of work with the 2's which is promising. Both have been in pads, so I doubt they are still on the mend. And nothing has been said about their health :no idea:

OL… Didn't really touch on this but thought I should now. The O-line hasn't really looked that good in camp. The 1's have been getting fairly manhandled early and often. 2's...I shouldn't touch on Mike Adams, because he has been getting downright embarrassed. Shmarko, of all the smallest players on the team, flat-backed Adams, and McCullers did as well. He's definitely having a rough camp. Beech has been fairly consistent, but still getting beat on quite a few plays by the OLB's. I'm with you ATL in that I think the LT position is still very shaky. DeCastro has been getting beat quite a bit as well, and he is probably the best OLineman the Steelers have to offer. The one time he got beat by McCullers was when he was moving laterally, so something could be said about that in his defense. Cam Thomas & Heyward have been getting through the line quite often. Either the current D-line is reminiscent of the Steel Curtain era, or the O-line could be in trouble. Munchak kept the guys after practice yesterday for further coaching, so I think even Munch understands that his guys need to step up.

JJ… I tried to be hesitant to agree with your analysis on Jones because he is still so young. But from the looks of it, you couldn't be any more right lol. He seems to lack that drive to improve his techniques. All he does is bull rush, and if the OT can get their hands on him, he is basically rendered useless. He was getting manhandled by Spaeth yesterday. To his defense, Spaeth is probably one of the premier blocking TE's in the league. Still, Jones needs to mix it up more often. His bull rushing & hand chopping technique is only going to get him so far.

WR… Sorry to not touch on Wheaton, but he has been pretty impressive so far. He got some good separation on a couple plays but he was under thrown. He put on a clinic yesterday in the punt-return competition. The competition is to see how many balls the returner can catch without setting down or dropping any of the previous balls. Wheaton caught 6 before dropping one. But from first impressions this camp, I think he has tremendous potential.

Any time you (or anyone) want me to touch on a certain player that I may have forgotten, then don't hesitate to ask!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phase 7 - Training Camp - Day 4

Photos: PHOTOS: 2014 Steelers Training Camp - Day 4

Recap by Labriola/Rooney II : LIVE: Special Guest Art Rooney II

Player Commentary:
Heard around camp: Blount, Jones and more

AB on the young WR's:
Brown: 'They have a lot to prove'

McCullers continuing to impress:
Daniel McCullers has been showing glimpses of his potential during training camp - Behind the Steel Curtain

Article on Beach (food for thought ATL!):
Steelers Kelvin Beachum not to be overlooked at left tackle - Behind the Steel Curtain

Injuries:
TE position in particular is getting hit hard. Blanchflower tweaked his ankle and is likely out for a week or so. Mitchell & Zumwalt are nursing groin injuries. Bell sat out for his 2nd straight day, as did Blount. Neither serious, just precautionary. Alexander is still day to day. DHB got carried off the field after a collision. Not sure what his status is, but didn't look good.

Day 4 Observations:
* O-Line… The line made some improvements. The stretch zone is working better than in previous years. But the pass protection and inside running has been fairly hit and miss. DeCastro made some good blocks in open field, as did Foster. Glad to have Foster back in the fold since he missed the first couple days (excused for death in family). Hubbard, Johnson, Elkins & Wallace all saw work at G during that time. Pouncey is doing a great job on the inside.
* DB's… Mitchell is still out nursing his groin. Thomas, Golden & Allen are all seeing reps with the first team at FS. Still running a lot of Nickel D. LeBeau & Lake have been mixing up the nickel CB often. Gay & Golden have been in their primarily, but Thomas & Allen have seen a share of reps.
* LB's… Spence seems to be getting more comfortable out there. First practice he looked a bit lost in coverage, but he is still fast. He reads & reacts well, like Vince Williams. Shazier is consistently finding his way into the backfield. Porter kept both JJ & CC after practice to coach them up on swim moves & other things. JJ & Timmons made some big hits in the backfield on poor Jordan Hall. He was the recipient of some brutal hits.
* WR's… Wheaton made some impressive grabs. Ben put a few balls out of reach of the defenders and challenged Wheaton to make a play, and he did each time! Made a couple go-route catches down the sideline, one was over Allen. Moore continued to show his trusty skills. Made some impressive bee-line catches from Ben on hook routes. I say impressive because those balls were thrown on a rope, straight laser beamed in there. Moye showed off some RZ grabs that drew praise from onlookers. AB looks like he is improving. Not that he needs improvement, but he has been working on his situational catching. Usually he relies heavily on his YAC, but he has been getting good separation and making great sideline catches. DHB went down to injury (not sure as to the severity), so it could open things up for younger guys to step up. Moye & Brown in particular.

Last edited by a moderator:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its about time they did this ... joe was a special kind of player

Couldn't agree more… A player above the rest

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought I would share my sentiment on the upcoming season… Now that training camp is underway, the feelings are starting to become more real. Take it for whatever it's worth lol

We are all a little on edge this year… There is a nervous energy surrounding the entire fan base... I feel it and I can sense it from a lot of other very knowledgeable Steeler fans. Ben is 32, they haven’t won a playoff game in four years. There is a fear in everyones mind, “What if we fail this year? What if our optimistic predictions about Jones, Tuitt, Worilds, Munchak etc don’t come to fruition? Do we have to blow the team up? Are they turning into the damn Cowboys???” I mean we’re all pretty sure that this team will be better this year, but this year feels really important. Almost as if the steelers are at a crossroads. And if they don’t make the playoffs, or at least post a winning record, the last two years of doubt and uncertainty turns into real depression and despair. So you’ll have to excuse certain fans, like myself, for being a little dramatic.

Now for a little optimism… I know this year is going to be better. It has to be. Realistically a winning record is all but achieved at this point. Not sure if they have what it takes to make it deep into January, but I think 2015 & beyond is where the sites should be set. This year is probably just another building block, albeit a better one than previous years. This team has an incredible amount of talent, but the outcome of this year will depend greatly upon the progression of the 2nd & 3rd year players (even a few rooks). It's hard not to get caught up in the offseason and board the hype train giving yourself a sense of "Super Bowl or Bust", I'm probably the most guilty of them all. Colbert has almost completely redeemed himself in my eyes from his drafting debacle during 08 & 09, but it's time to put this team into the playoffs before I douse my torch and put away my pitchfork.

Here's to the foundation of a great team for many years to come… :suds:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts.

The team had nowhere to go but up from the 0-4 start so the finish was good but not noteworthy. I don't believe mo, carries over to a new season.

I think this is a playoff caliber team IF.

#1...the OL is at worst....solid....collectively they have to be better than the indivdual parts because I still don't think we're strong at either OT spot.

#2...the front 7 has indeed improved.
#3...avoid the big injury.

That's it...in other words, play in the trenches must be better than it was LY, and the key players need to play.

Overview...imo the AFC is wide open...NE and DEN are the only teams I look at today and feel with confidence they will win 10 games or more if their QBs play the majority of the games. But even those teams are not juggernauts so the key imo is getting to Jan with good health and all bets are off. The Ravens were not the best team in football 2 years ago, but they were the best team in Jan.

Super Bowl or Bust...I think Colbert is doing a pretty good job under the pressure of having a 2 time SB winning QB on his roster. These young guys need time to develop...as fans it's been a long time since we've really had play so many young players this early...Sorry Harrison, and Kesiel you guys were great but it's time to turn the page...Regardless of the record, I'm all in for the young players. That's the only way we're going to find out if these are impact players

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phase 7 - Training Camp - Day 5

Photos: PHOTOS: 2014 Steelers Training Camp - Day 5

Recap by Labriola & Wolfley: LIVE: It's all about the O-Line

Interviews:
Tomin: Tomlin: "It was another day's work"
Bell: Le'Veon Bell: It felt good to be back in pads

Good observations:
Four observations after Week 1

Dangerfield came to play:
Steelers training camp: Jordan Dangerfield 'comes to play today' - Behind the Steel Curtain

Injuries:
* Spaeth, Palmer & Blanchflower were all out today. UDFA TE Eric Waters got hurt. Down to 2 TE's on the field (Miller & Paulsen).

Day 5 Observations:
* Bell was back in the fold. Wasn't back in full, but took part in individual drills. Blount sat out. It was sort of a maintenance type day for the offense. Referees in training were at camp.
* Defense dominated the 11-on-11 and 7-on-7 drills. As Tomlin says, "ebb & flow of training camp". The 1st team front 7 had a relatively quiet day. McLendon made a few good stops. 2's.. Fangupo was in the backfield almost every snap. He has a surprising quickness about him.
* O-line is still progressing. Well the 1st team is looking better each day. Gilbert has been doing something different with his stance. He definitely looks more comfortable out there, and he's consistently beating his opponents. 2's… Adams got embarrassed by UDFA Howard Jones lol. At this point I am starting to wonder if Adams is even going to make the 53. He has the ability, as we all know, but he lacks the technique. He's still being rotated in both LT & RT during drills. Elkins made a name for himself by taking Heyward 1 on 1. Being the smallest O-lineman out there, it was impressive to see him lock up with Heyward and battle. Heyward ultimately won, but Elkins held his own. Any time you can hold off Heyward for any amount of time, you are going to make a name for yourself lol. Wesley Johnson is still rotating in everywhere. He hasn't impressed on the outside at either OT position, but he looks good at G.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great piece on the D-line...
Steelers developing raw, young and talented defensive linemen - Behind the Steel Curtain

One person they didn't mention which I thought deserved to be is Fangupo. The guy has really stepped it up lately in camp. Tomlin gave McLendon a day off in camp this week and Fangupo capitalized. I've already said a few times in my observations of camp that Fangupo has been consistently finding his way into the backfield against the 1's & 2's. Cam Thomas saw the majority of 1st & 2nd team reps at NT, but whenever Loni was in he made the most of it. He got into a scuffle with Pouncey on a play that required some time off the field to cool down. Good to see these depth players mixin it up with established vets. Shows their intensity and fire!

I was glad to hear another persons take on Williams. He's had a relatively quiet camp, same with Arnfelt.

As much as I like Keisel, there is just too much talent on the roster to bring him back. Bringing him back would mean cutting players with more upside or trying to stash someone on the PS and risk losing them. We may not know what we have in these younger guys yet, but like we all know, there is a delicate balance between "win now" and "win tomorrow". We've said it before, it all depends on Tuitt's progress during TC & preseason. From the looks of it so far, Keisel is going to be staying home.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
temp2014_TC_0802_1583_1--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Face...you mentioned some good play by Spence in your analysis of the game last week...Curtis Popejoy of Bleacher also picked up on his good play and suggested that if Shazier isn't back on the field soon the Spence could be the starter.

Is there competition for Timmons inside LB mate? Your thoughts.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Face...you mentioned some good play by Spence in your analysis of the game last week...Curtis Popejoy of Bleacher also picked up on his good play and suggested that if Shazier isn't back on the field soon the Spence could be the starter.

Is there competition for Timmons inside LB mate? Your thoughts.

Most definitely ATL!

We all know Timmons isn't going anywhere... But Spence was arguably the best defender on the field while running with the 1's. He made some errors, but one thing was undeniable, that Spence was damn near everywhere the ball was on every play. He missed 1 tackle along the sidelines but someone made a good block on him. My only question with Spence is, will he be any good in coverage? I thought the first week of camp that Spence looked a little lost in coverage, and I wasn't the only one that noticed. Scott Brown of ESPN & Coolong of BTSC both shared the same thoughts. I think he has a strong case for starting, but he still has a ways to go. If he continues to have great games in the preseason then Lebeau is going to have a difficult time keeping him off the field. I still think Shazier is the more dynamic playmaker because he is more athletic, but we have yet to see what that looks like in game situations. There is a lot to be said about what Lebeau & Butler think about Shazier by naming him the starter early in the offseason, even with a player like Spence on the roster. Even if nobody is saying it yet, I would bet the farm that the competition between the 2 has taken front stage. Shazier will need some strong showings to ward him off. One advantage that Spence has is that even though this is technically his first season, he still had 1 full year to learn the defense.

Another point to talk about is that Vince Williams suffered a concussion in camp this week... This could make some serious waves in the pecking order for some people if he is to miss out on any lengthy period of time. Spence, Garvin, Zumwalt & even Moats are going to be chomping at the bid to increase their reps in practice. This also could affect the Shazier v Spence battle in that Spence is likely to see a lot more playing time at ILB now. Gives the coaches more time to see what Spence has to offer. Williams is a great player, but one has to wonder if this injury has put him behind the 8-ball because of the loaded depth at ILB.

Last edited by a moderator:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most definitely ATL!

We all know Timmons isn't going anywhere... But Spence was arguably the best defender on the field while running with the 1's. He made some errors, but one thing was undeniable, that Spence was damn near everywhere the ball was on every play. He missed 1 tackle along the sidelines but someone made a good block on him. My only question with Spence is, will he be any good in coverage? I thought the first week of camp that Spence looked a little lost in coverage, and I wasn't the only one that noticed. Scott Brown of ESPN & Coolong of BTSC both shared the same thoughts. I think he has a strong case for starting, but he still has a ways to go. If he continues to have great games in the preseason then Lebeau is going to have a difficult time keeping him off the field. I still think Shazier is the more dynamic playmaker because he is more athletic, but we have yet to see what that looks like in game situations. There is a lot to be said about what Lebeau & Butler think about Shazier by naming him the starter early in the offseason, even with a player like Spence on the roster. Even if nobody is saying it yet, I would bet the farm that the competition between the 2 has taken front stage. Shazier will need some strong showings to ward him off. One advantage that Spence has is that even though this is technically his first season, he still had 1 full year to learn the defense.

Another point to talk about is that Vince Williams suffered a concussion in camp this week... This could make some serious waves in the pecking order for some people if he is to miss out on any lengthy period of time. Spence, Garvin, Zumwalt & even Moats are going to be chomping at the bid to increase their reps in practice. This also could affect the Shazier v Spence battle in that Spence is likely to see a lot more playing time at ILB now. Gives the coaches more time to see what Spence has to offer. Williams is a great player, but one has to wonder if this injury has put him behind the 8-ball because of the loaded depth at ILB.

That is really good news...I must admit I thought we were getting the company line positive spin on Spence...good to see he hasn't conceded anything to Shazier...team can only benefit.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw that Dennis Dixon got cut by the Bills... Honestly wouldn't mind having him back over Landry Jones. lol

But they made him an offer last offseason of which he refused just to be on the Ravens' PS. Easy to say that Dixon burned that bridge a long time ago. Hell hath no fury like a wom...I mean...Dixon scorned

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw that Dennis Dixon got cut by the Bills... Honestly wouldn't mind having him back over Landry Jones. lol

But they made him an offer last offseason of which he refused just to be on the Ravens' PS. Easy to say that Dixon burned that bridge a long time ago. Hell hath no fury like a wom...I mean...Dixon scorned

Maybe the Rams will pick him up to backup Hill?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the Rams will pick him up to backup Hill?

The Rams have got to be thinking long term here... The book can probably be closed on Bradford at this point, but it's a tough decision. Definitely sucks, but If I were the GM I would be calling NE or WAS about Cousins or Mallett. The offer would have to be right though because next year's QB draft class has some good prospects. Could be worth the wait.

Since Fisher has already said that Hill is their guy, that most likely means they are going to wait it out.