• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Thread

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought it would be nice to make a thread for discussion about the differen't offseason phases. I know part of it is the draft, which we have a thread for, but for the other phases we can use this thread. I plan on attending most of the camps so I will be posting updates (progress, injuries, standouts, etc). This is probably more for those of us diehards!

For those that are unfamiliar with the Steelers offseason setup:

Phase 1 (Optional): Strength & Conditioning - April 22nd (2 week duration)
*Activities limited to strength and conditioning and physical rehabilitation only

Phase 2 (Optional): On-Field Workouts - May 5th (3 week duration, continues during draft)
*Individual player instruction and drills as well as team practice conducted on what the CBA refers to as a “separates” basis. No live contact or team offense vs. team defense drills are permitted.

Phase 3: NFL Draft & Rookie Orientation - May 8-10th & 16-18th respectively

Phase 4 (Optional): Organized Team Activities - May 27-29th, June 3-5th, 9-12th (10 day duration)
*No live contact permitted, but 7-on-7, 9-on-7, and 11-on-11 drills are allowed.

Phase 5 (Mandatory): Minicamp - June 17-19th
*Mandatory for all personnel. Basically same stuff as OTA's but more for rookies to get their first experience with the vets.

Phase 6: Off-time - June 20th - July 26th (1 month duration)
*Time when players usually go home to visit family, go on vacations, etc. I'm only including this because this is usually the time when most players tend to get into some sort of trouble with the team and/or law. Also when unnecessary rumors/gossip/bullshit starts thanks to people like Rapaport (Ian Rapoport).

Phase 7 (Mandatory): Training Camp - July 27- Aug 17th (about 5 weeks with days off here and there)
*It's on like Donkey Kong in Latrobe! Full pads, contact, etc etc! When they separate the men from the boys.

Notes:
*Most vet players choose to use the time for phases 1-4 to train wherever they choose. Lots of them go to Miami or Arizona to train with professional trainers.
*Info listed is in accordance to the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement, which governs everything from the dates to the activities for each team during the offseason.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot to include a Phase for the FA period. Well since it is already underway and most of us have been using the 2014 draft thread to talk about it... Meh :noidea:

Also so there is no confusion... The "Rookie Orientation" I included with the draft is the Rookie Minicamp. Held just for the new draftees.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good stuff...thanks...right now I'm really curious on the early development of Wheaton more than anything else. The fact that no real attempt was made to keep Sanders gives me some insight, but I just don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about him yet.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good stuff...thanks...right now I'm really curious on the early development of Wheaton more than anything else. The fact that no real attempt was made to keep Sanders gives me some insight, but I just don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about him yet.

So far Wheaton hasn't missed a gym day. He's been in the PIT facilities working on strength endurance for the last few weeks since the CBA allowed players to start working out. I've heard plenty about his work ethic, but it is already showing! I have no doubt that he will be a great contributor next season, regardless of the players they acquire.

Others that have been attending the open gym workouts are: Pouncey, Heyward, Arnfelt, W. Johnson, Beachum, Adams, DeCastro, Mitchell, J. Brown.

Great to see these players dedicating themselves this early.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is good to hear on all accounts.

Wheaton...starting to look like a must now as Dave Bryan of Steeler Depot is reporting Cotchery is likely heading to CAR. Money is part of it I'm sure, but the real reason is CAR is sorely in need of WRs and it appears he will start there.

Report: Steelers Free Agent WR Jerricho Cotchery Expected To Sign With Panthers | Steelers Depot

Yea I don't blame Cotchery. With PIT almost certainly taking a WR in the first 3 rounds of the draft it would be questionable if Cotchery would see the field as much. I worry about losing him though because of his leadership. AB will now have big shoes to fill, unless they decide to bring back Burress :rollseyes:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm shocked that nobody on here was talking about MJD visiting & revisiting with the team this week! I thought he was a lock for a deal when reports surfaced that he was going to revisit with the team. A lot of people thought it would be a price tag issue, but MJD would have known the Steelers' situation before agreeing to visit. I think PIT would be a great place for him, but it's all quiet now and MJD has left the city.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm shocked that nobody on here was talking about MJD visiting & revisiting with the team this week! I thought he was a lock for a deal when reports surfaced that he was going to revisit with the team. A lot of people thought it would be a price tag issue, but MJD would have known the Steelers' situation before agreeing to visit. I think PIT would be a great place for him, but it's all quiet now and MJD has left the city.

I did see that, and was hopeful he would sign...I wasn't online much yesterday...maybe I was trying not to jinx it. I think he's ready to be a part-time player at this point and I really did like the move, but 2 trips and nothing liky means the money is not right for either party so I don't foresee it happening now.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports are now that Cotchery got a 5 yr deal? Crazy, but I can't blame him either.

I'm fairly certain now that PIT will go CB & WR early in this draft over NT....I wouldn't be shocked if Nix is is the pick @ 15, but a pick I would question if Evans is on the board at that time.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did see that, and was hopeful he would sign...I wasn't online much yesterday...maybe I was trying not to jinx it. I think he's ready to be a part-time player at this point and I really did like the move, but 2 trips and nothing liky means the money is not right for either party so I don't foresee it happening now.

I read that he wanted around $3.5mil/yr which is pretty steep for a backup. I wonder what kind of numbers Moreno is looking for? Moreno is a good tandem back, so why not bring him in for a visit?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports are now that Cotchery got a 5 yr deal? Crazy, but I can't blame him either.

I'm fairly certain now that PIT will go CB & WR early in this draft over NT....I wouldn't be shocked if Nix is is the pick @ 15, but a pick I would question if Evans is on the board at that time.

Yea this is how I feel too. Also I think DE might be higher priority unless they are serious about moving McLendon to the outside, which I hope is the case. Then they would easily go 1)CB/WR 2)WR/CB (whichever wasn't picked in the 1st) 3)NT

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports have also surfaced the Steelers were in talks with vet CB Chris Owens from the 'fins.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if anyone saw this, but they resigned Palmer to a 1-year deal. I think its safe to eliminate TE from the draft discussion until later rounds since they now have 4 TE's under contract.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read it before you knock him for the Title:
Mike Tomlin doesn't view an experienced back-up running back as a necessity - Behind the Steel Curtain

Typical Tomlin with his noncommittal "beating around the bush" speeches. Acquiring RB for depth needs to be a priority, whether that be FA or the draft. I'd prefer it be FA, because options are thin in both pools and I would rather have the experienced player.

I think vet RBs that once started are quickly learning the value as a backup is less than what they thought. ATL brought Djax in to be the starter, but I think teams noted he wasn't the same the guy...I'd love to have MJD and I think he has interest in PIT...the fit appears to be good. Not sure when the time frame for signing FAs ends...maybe he'll come around before the draft.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think vet RBs that once started are quickly learning the value as a backup is less than what they thought. ATL brought Djax in to be the starter, but I think teams noted he wasn't the same the guy...I'd love to have MJD and I think he has interest in PIT...the fit appears to be good. Not sure when the time frame for signing FAs ends...maybe he'll come around before the draft.

Officially it ends in a few days I think... The 26th maybe? But some players hold out until camps to see if anyone gains interest.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Officially it ends in a few days I think... The 26th maybe? But some players hold out until camps to see if anyone gains interest.

Interesting...as a UFA RB, I would want a spot before the draft...if you hold out until camps most of the money is gone...teams keep a couple mil in case of emergency such as our LT, C situations LY, but for a RB you're still not going to see a lot more money than you can get now...I think teams would look at the waiver wire if they didn't draft a guy.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, they need something at RB, Leveon Bell and nothing else besides possible draft picks isn't an ideal scenario.