• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Thread

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting...as a UFA RB, I would want a spot before the draft...if you hold out until camps most of the money is gone...teams keep a couple mil in case of emergency such as our LT, C situations LY, but for a RB you're still not going to see a lot more money than you can get now...I think teams would look at the waiver wire if they didn't draft a guy.

Yea ideally. But some teams do set aside more in case of potential holdouts. PIT rarely encounters that issue so we as fans aren't used to it lol.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our LB depth going into the offseason so far...

ILB:
1. Timmons (mack)
2. Williams (buck)
3. Spence
4. Garvin (ST)
5. Wilson (ST)
6. Molls

OLB:
1. Worilds (LOLB)
2. Jones (ROLB)
3. Carter
4. Moats
5. So'Oto

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our LB depth going into the offseason so far...

ILB:
1. Timmons (mack)
2. Williams (buck)
3. Spence
4. Garvin (ST)
5. Sylvester (ST)
6. Molls

OLB:
1. Worilds (LOLB)
2. Jones (ROLB)
3. Carter
4. Moats
5. So'Oto

FIFM

The team site says that Kion Wilson is on the roster, but he was released a while back. Sylvester still should be on the roster.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite the FA period for PIT's standards... Haven't seen this much activity in the past decade at least. Lots of appealing contracts which should pay huge dividends for them.

1. Mitchell (instant starter @ FS)
2. Thomas (DL depth, possible starter)
3. Moore (WR depth, possible starter)
4. Moats (LB depth, possible starter)

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Williamson from Scouts Inc said this on the radio the other day, but he thinks teams should "use free agency to set themselves up for the draft." I believe he means to fill holes so you don't have to reach in the draft, and let the players come to you. A few weeks ago the Steelers had too many holes to count, I think they have filled a decent amount, especially at depth positions, that they don't need to reach for any one position.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other acquisitions this offseason (Reserve FC/Resignings/etc):

RBs: Alvester Alexander, Miguel Maysonet, Tauren Poole
WRs: Justin Brown, Kashif Moore, Lanear Sampson, Jasper Collins, Danny Coale
TEs: Heath Miller, Michael Palmer
OL: Cody Wallace, Guy Whimper, Bryant Browning, Chris Hubbard,
Ss: Troy Polamalu, Will Allen, Jordan Dangerfield, Ross Ventrone
LBs: Jason Worilds, Kion Wilson (I lied earlier lol), Dan Molls, Vic So'oto
CBs: Devin Smith
DL: Al Lapuaho
P: Brad Wing
LS: Greg Warren, Bryce Davis

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Williamson from Scouts Inc said this on the radio the other day, but he thinks teams should "use free agency to set themselves up for the draft." I believe he means to fill holes so you don't have to reach in the draft, and let the players come to you. A few weeks ago the Steelers had too many holes to count, I think they have filled a decent amount, especially at depth positions, that they don't need to reach for any one position.

Completely agree! I just love how well they set up their contracts too, pretty much "prove it" contracts where they can cut their losses without big hits. Gives them a lot of leeway for seasons to come.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good points...ultimately you do build through the draft, but as we've seen, forcing young players out there early is just not the Steeler way, especially on DEF...it seems like these FA moves were made with that mindset...whomever they take at 15 is not likely to secure a starting position unless they go OT.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless another name has gone unnoticed, it's starting to look as if Blount or MJD will be signed...I hope it's MJD, but money may be the final decision maker.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless another name has gone unnoticed, it's starting to look as if Blount or MJD will be signed...I hope it's MJD, but money may be the final decision maker.

Yea last I heard is they are $2mil under the cap. So one of those players will likely be signed for a 1yr/$2mil contract.

LSH must not have shown enough improvement to even be considered. I thought he was getting close to 100%?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite the FA period for PIT's standards... Haven't seen this much activity in the past decade at least. Lots of appealing contracts which should pay huge dividends for them.

Add CB Brice McCain & WR Darrius Heyward-Bey to this list…

This has been one crazy FA period…

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WR depth:
AB
Wheaton
L. Moore
Heyward-Bey
Moye
J. Brown
K. Moore
Danny Coale (camp body)
Jasper Collins (camp body)
Lanear Sampson (camp body)

CB depth:
Allen
Taylor
Gay
McCain… Signed in FA (ex-Texans)
Blake… ST speedster signed from JAX LY
Green… Bounced around from roster & PS
D. Smith… On and off of PS

As you can see there is a healthy amount of depth at each position now. I still wouldn't rule out either in the draft, since most contracts are essentially "prove it" type contracts. Expect some great competition in camps this year!!!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Add CB Brice McCain & WR Darrius Heyward-Bey to this list…

This has been one crazy FA period…

Forgot about Le-Blountman…

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at your list...off the top I think this is the most active I've seen the Steelers in a while, but at the same time they lost some guys that seemed to be up and comers that knew the system already.

Considering these guys played significant snaps for their prior team is comforting...hopefully they get the schemes down and I think we'll get immediate help from more than one of these new Steelers.

RB...I was openly for MJD, but not disappointed at all with Blount...I think the real key for vet RBs these days is to embrace a role and not be too big of a cap hit. A draft pick with some speed is where I would spend a pick.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would definitely be nice for them to pickup a special teams return type player since Felix Jones, Sanders & Dwyer are all gone! They were our top 3 KR's. My guess is they will draft a speedster RB to fill the RB3/return positions. Wheaton will likely see his fair share of returns as well since they have insurance for the slot receiver with Lance Moore (assuming they draft a big WR). Hell, maybe they'll stick Heyward-Bey back there lol.

It would also be nice to get AB out of the PR position... It's exciting to see him return it, but I hold my breath damn near every time he fields a punt. If he would have gotten injured last season, I'm pretty sure the last 8 games LY wouldn't have gone as well as they did.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also speaking of ST... Wouldn't it be nice if they finally found a Punter??? Feels like every season, well for the last 3-4 seasons at least, has been a punter circus.