• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 Off Season

Toddyd77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3rd line of jeffrey, sutter, jokinen would be horrible.
No grit or sandpaper at all on that line and very little speed. IDK everyone always is so high on dustin jeffrey. He has a decent shot but he is slow, knee is questionable and has had very limited success at nhl level. 90 total nhl games and 27pts. This may warrant a little hope but the 3rd line needs speed and someone who is going to go in hard on the forecheck and hit.
Its unfortunate but with the centers we have Jeffrey will probably never reach his potential here

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah i would love to see Jeffrey get a real shot and not just 6 minutes a game with the likes of Vitale/Glass and/or Adams.

If the 3rd line is Jeffrey-Sutter-Jokinen it will not be that bad.

On the top of Penguin draft picks that Shero ever picked (not including Jordan Staal) none of them have played 100 games in the NHL. Jeffrey has the most at 90, Despres 51 and Bennett 26.

Yeah the last 3 drafts might be too early but the '06 through '10 not much development into NHL players. Also the '08 draft was a wash due to the late picks only and none of their 2nd round picks except 1 game by Sneep ever played in the NHL.

Yep, it's very surprising how poorly they have developed players.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No grit or sandpaper at all on that line and very little speed. IDK everyone always is so high on dustin jeffrey. He has a decent shot but he is slow, knee is questionable and has had very limited success at nhl level. 90 total nhl games and 27pts. This may warrant a little hope but the 3rd line needs speed and someone who is going to go in hard on the forecheck and hit.
Its unfortunate but with the centers we have Jeffrey will probably never reach his potential here

I don't doubt you're right about Jeffrey, but I'm at the point I'd rather just see the best 12 forwards play. DJ is certainly one of the 12 best forwards.

As for sandpaper/grit/speed the third line yea ideally I agree, but if the speed is Andrew Ebbet and the git is Tanner Glass or Craig Adams, then I'd rather go with the slow/smart/skilled guys.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not really high on him but out of the forwards the Penguins got he is one of the top 12/13. As for what he brings his potental is top 6 but if he is one of your top 6 forwards starting the season then you are not a playoff team.

Trust me I agree that is not a good third line but I looking at the rest of the forwards like Vitale/Glass and Adams if they are 3rd line players on any roster you are in trouble.

Unfortunately this is the year you have to give one/some of the WBS forwards a chance with the hope something sticks. It will be interesting to say the least come this next season, will they be a playoff team? Yeah I don't see that being an issue, do I think they are a SC finals contender at the moment? No.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a side note lets hope Chris Conner is not on the NHL roster for any period of time this season. If so that will just prove the theory that DB NEVER will give a younger player any type of chance.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. This could be a sneaky good signing. Guy is only 26

Yeah, for less than a million, I would be happy with a 10 point season. If he could put up the numbers he put up with the Blues a few seasons ago, it could be the best signing of the season.

mtm166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I want a 3rd line with some sort of identity. I just don't get a sense of that with the current candidates we have to fill those spots.

Heisenberg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, for less than a million, I would be happy with a 10 point season. If he could put up the numbers he put up with the Blues a few seasons ago, it could be the best signing of the season.

Blues fan I work with said D'Agostini skates with a lot of speed; could workout on the PK.

mtm166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blues fan I work with said D'Agostini skates with a lot of speed; could workout on the PK.

DA has never been a penalty killer in any of his career stops. I hope that's not the plan with him. I see him as a 4th line energy guy with his decent speed. The only problem is, he'll most likely be playing with Adams, so the speed will be pretty useless.

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Penguins have signed forward Harry Zolnierczyk to a one-year, two-way contract worth $550,000 at the NHL level

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Penguins have signed forward Harry Zolnierczyk to a one-year, two-way contract worth $550,000 at the NHL level

Really not a fan of that move. I really liked Alex Grant. I know Grant didn't have much of a chance at making the NHL team but I would much rather have had kept Grant than sign Zolnieczyk. Hope it works out somehow for us, but I don't see how it could.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really not a fan of that move. I really liked Alex Grant. I know Grant didn't have much of a chance at making the NHL team but I would much rather have had kept Grant than sign Zolnieczyk. Hope it works out somehow for us, but I don't see how it could.

I liked Grant as well. However, he really had no shot of making the NHL roster this season, outside of a bunch of injuries.. and even then he probably wouldn't be the first choice from WB/S to come up. Plus, Maatta, Harrington, Ruopp and Pouliot will all be in the AHL this coming season. They had to clear out some space for those guys.

Harry Z plays with a pretty good physical edge, and he's no stranger to dropping the gloves when called upon. I think that is the role Pens management sees for his future with the club.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Liking the D'Agostini more and more. I think this might end up working out. The Pens are desperate for a right-handed shooting winger, and in his last full season in the NHL, he potted twenty goals. He's a cheap option and low risk/high reward type signing.

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Penguins have re-signed restricted free agent forward Dustin Jeffrey to a one-year, $625,000 contract

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Penguins have re-signed restricted free agent forward Dustin Jeffrey to a one-year, $625,000 contract

Interesting it is a one way contract. So that means something has to give on D or even a worse case scenario of Bennett starting in WBS (since he is the only two way contract forward).

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Liking the D'Agostini more and more. I think this might end up working out. The Pens are desperate for a right-handed shooting winger, and in his last full season in the NHL, he potted twenty goals. He's a cheap option and low risk/high reward type signing.

Yeah I like this deal I hope he sticks and it works.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked Grant as well. However, he really had no shot of making the NHL roster this season, outside of a bunch of injuries.. and even then he probably wouldn't be the first choice from WB/S to come up. Plus, Maatta, Harrington, Ruopp and Pouliot will all be in the AHL this coming season. They had to clear out some space for those guys.

Harry Z plays with a pretty good physical edge, and he's no stranger to dropping the gloves when called upon. I think that is the role Pens management sees for his future with the club.

Yeah with both of you I liked Grant but his injury really hurt his chances ever in a Penguin uniform with all the defensive depth drafted while he was out.

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Penguins signed defenseman Brendan Mikkelson to a two-way contract worth $550,000 at the NHL level