• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 Off Season

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Penguins have signed restricted free agent goaltender Eric Hartzell to a two-year, two-way contract that will pay him $550,000 at the NHL level

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DA has never been a penalty killer in any of his career stops. I hope that's not the plan with him. I see him as a 4th line energy guy with his decent speed. The only problem is, he'll most likely be playing with Adams, so the speed will be pretty useless.

We could certainly use speed. Felt that was our biggest weakness last season. Rarely ever did we get good breakaway chances in the playoffs.

Toddyd77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More speed is a def need. Right now we also need some size. Our forward core is a bit on the small side. If you don't include steve MacIntyre(which i never do) Our biggest forwards are Malkin and sutter. both 6-3 and under 200lbs.
The sooner the Pens clear up some cap space the better

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More speed is a def need. Right now we also need some size. Our forward core is a bit on the small side. If you don't include steve MacIntyre(which i never do) Our biggest forwards are Malkin and sutter. both 6-3 and under 200lbs.
The sooner the Pens clear up some cap space the better

Agreed, I think it's great we have skill, but size & speed is certainly lacking when it comes to our forwards. No one burns anyone with speed, no one overpowers anyone with size. Unless we're making tic tac toe passes, we're done for.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess with the d prospects they have I guess the future plan is big Defense with the high -end offense?

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Penguins and defenseman Robert Bortuzzo have avoided arbitration by agreeing on a two-year contract worth $600,000 per season

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
With 13 forwards (12 on one-way contracts), 8 defenseman, 2 goaltenders... there are not too many open roster spots heading into training camp (injuries are always door openers, just ask Jordan Staal).

The top two lines are basically set, with the only real question is will Bennett or Jokinen start on the Malkin's line. My guess is Bennett.

The bottom two lines and the 13th forward could cause some interesting battles.

My money would be (right now)

DJ-Sutter-Jokenin
Glass- Vitale-Adams

As far as the defense goes, I think it's pretty safe bet on the top four looking like this:
Scuderi-Letang
Orpik-Martin

I feel the bottom two will be
Bortuzzo-Despres

with Engelland being the 7th.

Niskanen is also a safe bet to be traded.

--
Also, the Penguins top 6 forwards have been invited to Olympic camps (and one 3rd line). And 3 of their top 4 defenseman. Quite impressive.

Other than the trade that will occur, not much will be happening on the Penguins front for quite some time...

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What would you do... just trade Nisky for the best draft pick you can get (leaving the most cap space for in season movement)... or perhaps attempt to package him with.. say Dustin Jeffery, in an effort to get a gritty 3rd liner (and maybe leaving a little less wiggle room in regards to cap).

Kunitz hits in a top 6 role, Glass and Adams are team leaders in hits among forwards, but other than that, no real sand paper... Pens need to get some grit on the 3rd line IMO... some two way guys can provide that, perhaps... but Pens are in a win now mode, I'm leaning towards a package deal for an established hitter... not top tier, but NHL experience.

Edit from my above post, 5 out of the top 6 forwards (Dupper not invited) but still impressive nonetheless.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would you do... just trade Nisky for the best draft pick you can get (leaving the most cap space for in season movement)... or perhaps attempt to package him with.. say Dustin Jeffery, in an effort to get a gritty 3rd liner (and maybe leaving a little less wiggle room in regards to cap).

Kunitz hits in a top 6 role, Glass and Adams are team leaders in hits among forwards, but other than that, no real sand paper... Pens need to get some grit on the 3rd line IMO... some two way guys can provide that, perhaps... but Pens are in a win now mode, I'm leaning towards a package deal for an established hitter... not top tier, but NHL experience.

Edit from my above post, 5 out of the top 6 forwards (Dupper not invited) but still impressive nonetheless.

Duper forechecks with the best of them also...hitting isn't a problem. Playing solid D is and Nisky isn't an answer for solid D...he is aweful

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best draft pick we can get. Maybe a 3rd-4th rounder

For Niskanen that sounds optimistic.

I seriously would think they could get no better than a 7th/conditional 6th at this point.

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
When do teams have to be cap compliant? If it's before the first game, I can see no one getting traded through training camp, as an insurance for potential injuries, and if no injuries occur, Despres will start the season in WBS... if it's before training camp starts then a trade will happen before training camp...

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Duper forechecks with the best of them also...hitting isn't a problem. Playing solid D is and Nisky isn't an answer for solid D...he is aweful

Yes duper forechecks, as does Sid and Neal, etc.... but applying pressure on a defenseman does not take the same toll as laying a hit on them... hits are an important aspect to games... the 4th line, does not really contribute on the score sheet but does a good job of hitting... kunitz uses his body, and puck movement and speed (1st and 2nd line) is how they wear down defenseman... right now the 3rd line needs help in either department... either more speed and puck movement or more physical players... I like the physical player on the 3rd line...

The forwards are just as responsible for the bad defense... leaving the zone too early in hopes to receive a break out pass instead of being a safe outlet... not covering their man in the d-zone quickly enough... team defense needs to improve, not just the defenseman.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When do teams have to be cap compliant? If it's before the first game, I can see no one getting traded through training camp, as an insurance for potential injuries, and if no injuries occur, Despres will start the season in WBS... if it's before training camp starts then a trade will happen before training camp...

From what i read they are allowed to be up to 10% over until the beginning of the season.
The only risk of waiting until the last possible minute, what if you don't get any takers?

But I do like waiting until the start of the season because, if there are no takers the easiest solution to get under would be to buy out Tanner Glass and not have to waive a d-man with the hope they don't get claimed.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would trade Nisky for whatever draft pick we could get. We need to dump salary & Nisky is the most expendable.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3