• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 Off Season

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Coaching Staff:

Dan Byslma: I can go either way with him, now. For one more year. If you fire him, you better have a plan, and hire the right man for that plan.

Assistant Coaches: I like them both

Goalie Coach: Gilles Meloche: For years I have been saying he is problem (appears some now feel the same way). He is actually stepping down but will remain in the organization. However, WBS goalie coach (Bales I believe) is expected to replace him. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Again, I do not know the rules regarding positional coaches, but Mitch Korn is the guy they need.

UFA Forwards:
Dupuis: The Pens will make him some type offer (with a serious home town discount and lack of years). I hope the man takes the money else whre and takes care of his family. This will be his last contract and should capitalize on the hard work has put in. Columbus is close to PGH.

Cooke: I would offer Cooke a 2 yr deal with a 10% raise.
Adams: I would offer Adams a 2 yr deal with a 10% raise

Iggy and/or Morrow: IF DUPUIS does not resign, I expected one of these two to 'take' his contract. With some tweaking. Bennett filled in nicely for Iggy in a top 6 role.

(In other posts I thought about buying out Glass, but have changed my mind.

RFA Forwards:
Jeffery will not be resigned.
TK, depends on what mgt thinks they have coming up. Jokinen could take his spot on the 3rd line as well. I could go either way with him. But it will be 10% for TK.

Defense: The Pens already have 6 signed, and plenty of depth in the backend. Burtozzo a RFA will get qualified. I really have no idea what to expect on the backend. If the UFAs (Eaton or Murray, mostly Murray) are offered a contract, someone has to get traded, based purely on the number of roster spots available. I could see one of these three being possibly traded, Martin, Letang, Niskanen. Engo and Burt will probably rotate as the 7th.

Goalies:
Resign Thiessen, that's it. I like Fleury (with a new coach, only had one, try another before giving up on him) and Vokoun.

As every one knows, the big question comes down to Letang and Malkin. Owners, apparently, have told Shero to sign Malkin at any cost. Malkin seems like he wants to stay, he may take a bit of a discount (a little one) to help the Pens stay contenders. Letang, from listening to him, has no plans on taking a discount... from what I read into it. I waiver back and forth between the two. Malkin is easier to replace in the immediate future, but Letang's replacements are potentially already here but years away. The return for Malkin will be greater. Regardless, if they (either one) do not accept the Pens offer, they have no choice but to trade them. Can not go into a UFA year unsigned with the potential to lose them for nothing. I am a blade of grass regarding these two.

This off season is just as exciting as a regular season. The only untouchable is #87. If a GM calls about any other player, I assume Shero will at least listen... that's it.

What do you guys have?

Last edited by a moderator:

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Shero back in town tomorrow/today (wednesday). Db will either still be the pens coach thursday or he won't. Probably not getting much sleep right now. It begins.

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
From what I read..

1.)Shero wants to extend Byslma
2.) Resigning Malkin is top priority (already had discussion with agent)
3.) Followed by Dupuis, then work with Letang

Shero to address media at 11AM est, live on penguins.nhl.com

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What I gather from Shero is he likes/ believes in the system/ direction of the organization (not just the Penguins). If DB was to get fired (meaning Shero and owners lost faith in the system), WBS would also need to make changes... but owners/shero feel the system best fits the players they have, and DB is still the right man for the job (used Detroit as an example). I also feel the players have an unwavering belief in DB and their system... Shero mentioned quite a few times that during the players exit meetings, what their opinion of the staff compared to others they have been coached by.

Coaching staff remains the same, need to hire Fleury a new goaltending coach.

Regarding players, Malkin is top priority... changes are coming of course... he didn't really talk about specifics nor did questions arise about players, other than Fleury. After the GM meetings things will heat up, apparently his phone has been ringing already... one thing I heard... I thought Malkin to Edm to play with Yakupov (Pens getting Hall and others)... but now hearing Tanger to Edm for Yakupov (and other assests) to play with Malkin. Not sure how I would feel about another Russian on the team though.

Probably some boring no news days coming up... then it'll get real exciting.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Trade Letang
2. Trade MAF
3. Let all UFA's go (unless Dupuis will take 3 for 10, and Iggy will take 2 for 10)
4. Trade Niskanen
5. Amnesty Tanner Glass

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
1. Trade Letang
2. Trade MAF
3. Let all UFA's go (unless Dupuis will take 3 for 10, and Iggy will take 2 for 10)
4. Trade Niskanen
5. Amnesty Tanner Glass

1. or 4. (or even Paul Martin) will get traded. Letang more out of cap, but regardless, need to open up roster spot.

2. Not yet, he's only had one goalie coach. I'm all for him working with someone else.

3. Sign Adams and Cooke.

5. Potentially (depending on what happens to other team toughness)

The team could very similar to last year, or vastly different... can't wait to see what Shero has in store.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. or 4. (or even Paul Martin) will get traded. Letang more out of cap, but regardless, need to open up roster spot.

2. Not yet, he's only had one goalie coach. I'm all for him working with someone else.

3. Sign Adams and Cooke.

5. Potentially (depending on what happens to other team toughness)

The team could very similar to last year, or vastly different... can't wait to see what Shero has in store.

1. I can't see how you trade Martin when he was the only good two d-man on the team.

2. I understand the not yet, but there still has to be a plan B. I'm worried this turns into a Luongo situation. Although I thought it was telling when Shero said something about Mark doing what he needs to do to get back to where he was. Not sure if that was a dig at his work ethic.

3. No thanks on either. Pens needs to get younger in the bottom six. No reason Jefferey can't step into a bottom six role. Jokinen is under contract as well.

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
1. I can't see how you trade Martin when he was the only good two d-man on the team.

2. I understand the not yet, but there still has to be a plan B. I'm worried this turns into a Luongo situation. Although I thought it was telling when Shero said something about Mark doing what he needs to do to get back to where he was. Not sure if that was a dig at his work ethic.

3. No thanks on either. Pens needs to get younger in the bottom six. No reason Jefferey can't step into a bottom six role. Jokinen is under contract as well.

I now think Martin will be traded and his monies will go to Letang (or Letang traded, only two options at this point)

Fortunately for the Pens, MAF is only under contract for 2 yrs... not forever like Loungo... this, IMO, is his last chance with this club... IF the Pens make the playoffs next year, he better be .... good.

Adams is very affordable for the role he plays, he's a smart Harvard man... he will make less money than an entry level youngster. And I'm just a big Matt Cooke fan... I don't see any one on the roster to replace him (his team leading hits and PK time)... perhaps coming back in trade, I don't know what Shero is working on.. but their are no current roster players to fill the void by not resigning Cooke. Potentially Glass I suppose.. or Vitale.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I now think Martin will be traded and his monies will go to Letang (or Letang traded, only two options at this point)

Fortunately for the Pens, MAF is only under contract for 2 yrs... not forever like Loungo... this, IMO, is his last chance with this club... IF the Pens make the playoffs next year, he better be .... good.

Adams is very affordable for the role he plays, he's a smart Harvard man... he will make less money than an entry level youngster. And I'm just a big Matt Cooke fan... I don't see any one on the roster to replace him (his team leading hits and PK time)... perhaps coming back in trade, I don't know what Shero is working on.. but their are no current roster players to fill the void by not resigning Cooke. Potentially Glass I suppose.. or Vitale.

I understand the sentiment, and I have no qualms about Adams or Cooke, but I think this team needs to get younger, and those are the two obvious spots, IMO.

If they do make a big trade, Letang. I'd like to see them get some depth forwards in return, who are young enough to develop, ie what the Flyer's got for Richards.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the sentiment, and I have no qualms about Adams or Cooke, but I think this team needs to get younger, and those are the two obvious spots, IMO.

If they do make a big trade, Letang. I'd like to see them get some depth forwards in return, who are young enough to develop, ie what the Flyer's got for Richards.

Totally agree.
Mentioned this elsewhere but I would like to see what a Kuehnhackl (if healthy) could do in a bottom six complementary scoring role.

Last edited by a moderator:

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Totally agree.
Mentioned this elsewhere but I would like to see what a Kuehnhackl (if healthy) could do in a bottom six complementary scoring role.

The lack of news regarding Dupuis makes me think he will not be resigned... he (and family) very much enjoys PGH, and you would think if the Pen's offer was anywhere close to what he wanted, the deal would've been made by now... obviously me just talking, as I have no idea if Shero and his agent even begun talking...

The team will be younger next year... Bennett and Despres will be full time players.

If the Pens resign Cooke and Adams (assuming Dupper will not be resigned, and not counting Glass)... they only have 10 forwards... If Dupper or Glass do come back, they still have 1-2 roster spots open up front... I am also not counting Big Mac(hold the pickles).

14-87-19
18-71-
(24)-16-36
-46-(27)

Glass as the 13th, I suppose.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The lack of news regarding Dupuis makes me think he will not be resigned... he (and family) very much enjoys PGH, and you would think if the Pen's offer was anywhere close to what he wanted, the deal would've been made by now... obviously me just talking, as I have no idea if Shero and his agent even begun talking...

The team will be younger next year... Bennett and Despres will be full time players.

If the Pens resign Cooke and Adams (assuming Dupper will not be resigned, and not counting Glass)... they only have 10 forwards... If Dupper or Glass do come back, they still have 1-2 roster spots open up front... I am also not counting Big Mac(hold the pickles).

14-87-19
18-71-
(24)-16-36
-46-(27)

Glass as the 13th, I suppose.

Would not be surprised if this season isn't bought out to free space for another forward.

With Dupuis he is the one FA on this roster I would love to see them resign. But if losing him means resigning Iginla then that is fine.

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just an informational post about the 2013 draft... no need for a separate thread as it's part of the off-season right... plus, the Pens really don't have a draft unless a trade for Letang involves draft picks (which I assume it would)

Rd1. no pick
Rd2. no pick
Rd3. #77, #89
Rd4. #119
Rd5. no pick
Rd6. #179
Rd7. #194, #209

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
For a bit now I have been told Pgh and Edm as trade partners... and it's heating up a bit.. first mentioned Yak... you always begin high and work your way down... that's prob not likely, but talks have to begin somewhere.... the issue will be if Letang resigns with Edm or not... does he want to play there long term... Edm will not trade unless a contract extension is reached. Letang does have some 'power' here.

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Pens and Ducks trade AHL prospects...

Ducks acquire D Alex Grant.
Pens acquire Harry Zolnierczyk . I remember him with the Flyers... plays with an edge... physical... I'm not sure how he projects into the NHL roster... I do not think he PKs, so I'm not sure if HE is the replacement for Cooke (still holding out hope the Pens resign Cooke).

All and all, a good pick-up for the Pens in my opinion, he has NHL experience where as Grant does not.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Grant trade for Harry Z is mainly to clear space for three additions to the AHL blue line next season. Harrington, Pouliot and Maatta will all be in WB/S for 2013-14. Grant was a spare part.