• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB Daily Thread: 10-11-17: LMAO at Stephen Strasburg

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the same fucking thing. CC is one of my favorite players, but this is war. BUNT on that fat, hobbled fuck!

Lindor leading of with a bunt seems like a no brainer to me.......It doesnt have to be the perfect bunt for that to be a surefire single

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for what he was SUPPOSED to be coming out of SDS...hes been a disappointment IMO.

I think disappointment is some major hyperbole, Rock. He was considered a (the?) top pitching prospect. He's been a top pitcher in his career. I'm not saying I'd want him on the Indians, but he hasn't been a disappointment.

Phil Hughes. Now there's a disappointment. Someone who was every bit as highly touted as Strasburg who never amounted to shit.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think disappointment is some major hyperbole, Rock. He was considered a (the?) top pitching prospect. He's been a top pitcher in his career. I'm not saying I'd want him on the Indians, but he hasn't been a disappointment.

Phil Hughes. Now there's a disappointment. Someone who was every bit as highly touted as Strasburg who never amounted to shit.
hughes was the 23rd overall pick

those are stabs in the dark

stras was #1 by 4 miles

dustin ackley sucks, and the #3 pick flamed out by 2015...never saw a pitch in the majors.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"There Is No Such Thing As A Pitching Prospect"

For realz. I've got all my Baseball Prospectuses (Prospecti?) going back to 2002, and because I'm a dork, I'll sometimes get out some old ones and look at who the top 10 prospects were. Some of the names are comical in hindsight.

Given that, if Strasburg's career is a "disappointment" thus far, someone must have been expecting him to be Jesus Christ and Sandy Koufax rolled into one.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For realz. I've got all my Baseball Prospectuses (Prospecti?) going back to 2002, and because I'm a dork, I'll sometimes get out some old ones and look at who the top 10 prospects were. Some of the names are comical in hindsight.

Given that, if Strasburg's career is a "disappointment" thus far, someone must have been expecting him to be Jesus Christ and Sandy Koufax rolled into one.

it's the pitching equivalent of calling J.D. Drew a "disappointment" because he was supposed to be the next Mantle or something. He had 44+ WAR and a 125 OPS+. That's a hell of a career.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hughes was the 23rd overall pick

those are stabs in the dark

stras was #1 by 4 miles

dustin ackley sucks, and the #3 pick flamed out by 2015...never saw a pitch in the majors.

Draft picks are stabs in the dark, but you use them to illustrate your case?

They were both highly or biggly touted prospects prior to their rookie seasons.

My point is, if Strasburg's numbers are a "disappointment" to you, I think your exceptions were unrealistic.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's the pitching equivalent of calling J.D. Drew a "disappointment" because he was supposed to be the next Mantle or something. He had 44+ WAR and a 125 OPS+. That's a hell of a career.

Go Sox!

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Probably right. He hasn't proved to be the greatest pitcher to ever toe the rubber, so he's a disappointment.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
other pitchers selected as #1 picks:

Luck Hochevar
Gerrit Cole
Mark Appel
Bryan Bullington (lol)
Matt Anderson
Kris Benson
Paul Wilson
Brien Taylor
Andy Benes
Ben McDonald
Tim Belcher
Mike Moore
Floyd Bannister
David Clyde

the best pitcher in that group is what, Mike Moore? Andy Benes? There's a good chance Strasburg will finish with a better career than all of them IMO.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
other pitchers selected as #1 picks:

Luck Hochevar
Gerrit Cole
Mark Appel
Bryan Bullington (lol)
Matt Anderson
Kris Benson
Paul Wilson
Brien Taylor
Andy Benes
Ben McDonald
Tim Belcher
Mike Moore
Floyd Bannister
David Clyde

the best pitcher in that group is what, Mike Moore? Andy Benes? There's a good chance Strasburg will finish with a better career than all of them IMO.

Yeah, like I said, the lists of top prospects with close proximity to the majors is a funny thing to look at, and that's after the players have spent time in a professional system. Setting lofty expectations based on where kids are drafted seems insane.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, like I said, the lists of top prospects with close proximity to the majors is a funny thing to look at, and that's after the players have spent time in a professional system. Setting lofty expectations based on where kids are drafted seems insane.

yup. blame the media, not the players.

besides, he pitched in the MWC. I'd imagine it's a lot easier than pitching the Pac-10 or SEC.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO

"A lot of my team is under the weather with the change of weather, and the air conditioning in the hotel, and the air conditioning here," he said. "It's just this time of the year for mold around Chicago -- I think it's mold. I mean, I have it, too."

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good thing they kept him out of the playoffs a few yrs ago for situations like this... this is hilarious. Every player in the locker room had to be calling him a puss

Oh yeah, forgot all about that

Pitchers are so babied these days

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well...Kris Benson's wife was hot

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
farrell fired

Red Sox manager Farrell won't return in '18

In dumping Farrell now, Dombrowski agreed that the team needs a new voice in the clubhouse and a fresh public face. Despite another first-place American League East finish, the Red Sox grew increasingly unpopular this season. Prime-time television ratings on New England Sports Network dropped 15 percent below ratings last year, which was David Ortiz's final season