• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

1. Bama 2. Clemson 3. Washington 4. Penn State

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not in college football it isn't. Until this year - losing one game typically meant your season was likely over. Losses are HUGE.
Exactly right.

The BCS was formed for many reasons, but two seasons that were talked about endlessly that lead toward it was the split title in '91 between Miami and UW, and BYU's crowning despite not having played a single year end ranked top 25 team over a one loss UW team. Yes, that's twice the old ways screwed us to some degree.

Before the BCS even one loss probably ended your run for a title. Now that we have a 4 team playoff one loss doesn't really hurt you depending on how many other teams also have a loss and whether or not it knocks you out of your division race.

Going to an 8 team playoff would water it down even more and leave 2-3 loss teams in meaning you don't care much game to game anymore.

Every step has removed intensity from the game to game regular season in lieu of clarity for the title winner. How much of one are you willing to give up for the other?

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Conferences pick their own teams and are 100% accountable to their members. Screw outside interference.

Yeah, conferences should decide things on their own. Plus, we shouldn't have more involvement of rankings. One thing that is absolutely within a team's control is to win their conference.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's clear to me is that conferences need to get rid of divisions! The two best teams in the conference should play each other for the CCG.

A team should play one or perhaps two annually protected in-conference foes and then rotate the other conference games... thus, a team could play everybody in their conference every two years.

Under such a system, the B1G championship game Saturday night should have been a rematch of Ohio State & Penn State.

That being said, I will move on to what the committee should not do Sunday.
The committee should not reward a playoff spot to a team with this OOC schedule:
-Idaho
-Portland State (FCS)
-Rutgers

Sorry Washington, but that OOC schedule does not cut the mustard. Rewarding Washington with a playoff spot would give other schools the green light to set similar schedules in the future. FUCK THAT!

Let's look at it another way too...... think about this...... Oklahoma is basically being punished for scheduling Ohio State this season, but Washington is on the verge of being rewarded for scheduling Idaho, Portland State (FCS), and Rutgers. FUCK THAT!

Rewarding Washington with a playoff spot would set a precedent saying it's OK to have a shitty OOC schedule.

Again....... FUCK THAT!

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm leaning towards Penn State, however that jump from number 7 to number 4 seems huge along with the drop tOSU would have to make.:noidea:
#6 lost and #5 didn't have a championship game appearance. Can't get hung up on that number drop.

For all intent and purpose, PSU is at least 5th on the list right now. Just wipe michigan and wisky off the board and then look at it again.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, I don't want to play Penn State. My friends have kids theyd like to be able to bring to the game.:tsk:

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Conferences pick their own teams and are 100% accountable to their members. Screw outside interference.
Shit, if it was up to me we would go back to 10 team conferences and playing every team every year and crowning the top team. It worked. It wasn't complicated. Sure, it wasn't 100% fair either depending on which teams you had home/away each year, but it was a lot better than what we have now.

But leaving it the exact way it is puts us in this situation now and then. The best team just might get left out because of blind head to head factoring. If you are happy with that so be it.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's clear to me is that conferences need to get rid of divisions! The two best teams in the conference should play each other for the CCG.

A team should play one or perhaps two annually protected in-conference foes and then rotate the other conference games... thus, a team could play everybody in their conference every two years.

Under such a system, the B1G championship game Saturday night should have been a rematch of Ohio State & Penn State.

The committee should not reward a playoff spot to a team with this OOC schedule:
-Idaho
-Portland State (FCS)
-Rutgers

Sorry Washington, but that OOC schedule does not cut the mustard. Rewarding Washington with a playoff spot would give other schools the green light to set similar schedules in the future. FUCK THAT!

Let's look at it another way too...... think about this...... Oklahoma is basically being punished for scheduling Ohio State this season, but Washington is on the verge of being rewarded for scheduling Idaho, Portland State (FCS), and Rutgers. FUCK THAT!

Rewarding Washington with a playoff spot would set a precedent saying it's OK to have a shitty OOC schedule.

Again....... FUCK THAT!
I have to cake this shit. Washington earned their spot based on merit, regardless of OOC schedule. Those are set up years in advance. No one knows how good these teams will be. You are reaching my man.

Beggs

Nipples of a God
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to cake this shit. Washington earned their spot based on merit, regardless of OOC schedule. Those are set up years in advance. No one knows how good these teams will be. You are reaching my man.

When in the hell were Idaho and Rutgers ever considered good teams?

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure how good OSU really is - but I am sure they are a far better overall team than PSU and it isn't even close. Resumes matter. Extra losses matter. Penn St dodged the best teams from the west and needed Michigan to choke against Iowa to get in the final. They did not do it on their own. That being said - they did enough to earn that title. Congrats to them. If the committee chooses them over OSU that's fine.
That's where I think we need a system that uses a formula with clarity. As I've said before not every team can schedule higher tier OOC games. And quite a few times it's a guessing game. For instance I don't think anyone would have thought SC would be Alabamas best win.If we are going off rankings. But I've never been a fan of rankings as a main means to gauge the best teams.Rankings are the result of human polls. Be it the media which isn't always reliable . Or coaches poll where bias plays a major factor.Its really evident when you look at the voting break downs.And rankings are also excited by conference structures and FCS opponents.As far as the committee there is a very vague set of guidelines. And no definitive answers to how teams are gauged. I don't like the human aspect but that is my stance on the topic. I would like to see a more objective system where that aspect is removed or limited. Whether it be twerking the conference set ups. A concise method to determine the top 4 teams. Laid out in writing by the committee. And an expanded play off.

I do think Penn State is the better team. When I line them up with OSU and look at them head to head. Down the lines of the games that were played. And the season results. And I think this year has left very good cause for revisions.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When in the hell were Idaho and Rutgers ever considered good teams?
Schiano was HC of Rutgers and had them at 9-3 when UW made this agreement. He left and they went back to shit.

Again, you are asking for UW to know 5+ years ahead when they will return to relevance and be able to attract top tier teams to H/H deals while we were a 6-7 win team where they probably have to travel 2k+ miles to fulfill their end of the bargain.

Now that we are on the rise we got Auburn to play in '18 on a neutral site. We wouldn't be getting that if we were still a 6-7 win team.

Beggs

Nipples of a God
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And since you want to toss me some cake instead of answer the question, here is a quote from the Idaho football team wiki that says all that needs to be said.

"In 2015, the Vandals improved to a 4-8 record."

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

-Idaho
-Portland State (FCS)
-Rutgers

Again....... FUCK THAT!

OOC sucks, but they'd hardly be the first team to end the regular season highly ranked after playing a cupcake OOC schedule. For example, Alabama made the title game in 2012 with Kent State, North Texas, and Georgia Southern as their OOC.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If UW had been a 9-10 win team over the last 5 years then slam the fuck out of them for their weak ass schedule. But they really didn't have a lot of options while they were a nobody also ran team out in the remote far reaches of the country.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schiano was HC of Rutgers and had them at 9-3 when UW made this agreement. He left and they went back to shit.

Again, you are asking for UW to know 5+ years ahead when they will return to relevance and be able to attract top tier teams to H/H deals while we were a 6-7 win team where they probably have to travel 2k+ miles to fulfill their end of the bargain.

Now that we are on the rise we got Auburn to play in '18 on a neutral site. We wouldn't be getting that if we were still a 6-7 win team.

Yeah, Rutgers was legit. They produced their fair share of NFL players during Schiano's time.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next year's schedule is just as bad as this years for UW's OOC slate.

If any of you have a line to an AD of a team with a pulse that wants to shift things up and give a dog a bone, by all means PM me their info and I'll pass it along.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have a problem with a weak OOC schedule leaving less margin for error