• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB Daily Thread: 09/27/17: Jays beat up Sale as yanks cut AL east lead to 3

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hi, Hu. It's me. Wily. Did the Mets sign JD yet? Is he gonna hit in front of Consorto or behind him?

Have not heard. Right now they're trying to find a way to get rid of Terry Collins. There was a report yesterday that he was going to retire at the end of the year, and the Mets were looking at five possible replacements - including Robin Ventura.

Today, Collins speaks out that he has no plans to retire.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have not heard. Right now they're trying to find a way to get rid of Terry Collins. There was a report yesterday that he was going to retire at the end of the year, and the Mets were looking at five possible replacements - including Robin Ventura.

I had "no plans" to lose the powerball

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's odd that he changed his tune over night. He must have gotten a behind-the-scenes vote of confidence from the GM. Maybe you need to hope that the GM gets fired. I think Robin Ventura is a mistake. They should go with someone younger, hungrier. Might want to go with a minority hire also, unless they want the media crawling up their ass with a microscope. But fuck em. I'd go get Brad Ausmus.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's odd that he changed his tune over night. He must have gotten a behind-the-scenes vote of confidence from the GM. Maybe you need to hope that the GM gets fired. I think Robin Ventura is a mistake. They should go with someone younger, hungrier. Might want to go with a minority hire also, unless they want the media crawling up their ass with a microscope. But fuck em. I'd go get Brad Ausmus.

Up until about the ASB, Collins was getting the benefit of the doubt due to a lot of injuries.......But once he got players back, and the results not only continued, but got far worse, his days were numbered

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Robin Ventura is a mistake. They should go with someone younger, hungrier. Might want to go with a minority hire also, unless they want the media crawling up their ass with a microscope. But fuck em. I'd go get Brad Ausmus.

They also threw out Alex Cora's name. He fits the younger, hungrier, and minority categories but he has no experience.

Ventura has experience, but it's the bad kind. I love the guy but I'd probably pass. Ausmus, I wouldn't object to that.

Whomever it is, we've got a full-blown rebuild happening here. They better like learning while losing

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Up until about the ASB, Collins was getting the benefit of the doubt due to a lot of injuries.......But once he got players back, and the results not only continued, but got far worse, his days were numbered

I like the guy, but it's time to move on. He's had his moment. The roster is going to be totally different next year, we're in for some pretty bad seasons. Get out now, while 2015 is still somewhat fresh, instead of two or three years from now, when the stench of losing is becoming so unbearable that people don't even recall that World Series run

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They also threw out Alex Cora's name. He fits the younger, hungrier, and minority categories but he has no experience.

Ventura has experience, but it's the bad kind. I love the guy but I'd probably pass. Ausmus, I wouldn't object to that.

Whomever it is, we've got a full-blown rebuild happening here. They better like learning while losing
I think Alex would be a worthy risk. I've read a lot of good things written about him and the guys that don't have the ego of ex-players, that is ex-players who were long time starters and have a good amount of prestige, seem to do better as managers.

Ausmus is a long time starter but he was never an offensive star. He was coveted for the way he handled pitchers and his defense. He kinda got a raw deal in Detroit. Miggy and VMart got old. Scherzer, Porcello, and Price were not re-signed. They never had a decent bullpen while he was there. I'd give him another shot and see what he can do.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Alex would be a worthy risk. I've read a lot of good things written about him and the guys that don't have the ego of ex-players, that is ex-players who were long time starters and have a good amount of prestige, seem to do better as managers.

Ausmus is a long time starter but he was never an offensive star. He was coveted for the way he handled pitchers and his defense. He kinda got a raw deal in Detroit. Miggy and VMart got old. Scherzer, Porcello, and Price were not re-signed. They never had a decent bullpen while he was there. I'd give him another shot and see what he can do.

Either one would be fine for this situation. It's not a win-now team, and as long as general management is patient they could really develop in a no-pressure environment

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Martinez is slugging .752 with 28 home runs in 58 games since joining the D-Backs.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Martinez is slugging .752 with 28 home runs in 58 games since joining the D-Backs.
He's a beast. 44 homeruns this year and hardly anyone realizes it with all the focus on Stanton and Judge. He's going to be a very rich 30-year-old in a couple months. I think the value of his contract is going to shock some people. Opening bid should be about 6 years/$132 million and go up from there.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a beast. 44 homeruns this year and hardly anyone realizes it with all the focus on Stanton and Judge. He's going to be a very rich 30-year-old in a couple months. I think the value of his contract is going to shock some people. Opening bid should be about 6 years/$132 million and go up from there.
homeruns per games played:
JD .382
Stanton .370
Judge .331

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He really wanted to reach 300 strikeouts. Might be paying for it now. I don't know what the Cleveland pitchers are doing to stay fresh (Panty liners? Summer's Eve?). Maybe other teams should copy Cleveland's training and nutrition philosophies.

Pomeranz was looking pretty good until he ran into the Blue Jays. ERod probably has the best momentum on the staff right now. Shutting down the homer-happy Reds on the road is no easy task.

Who do they play in the first round? Astros?

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not be surprised to see him get 7 or 8 years, $180-200 million.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not be surprised to see him get 7 or 8 years, $180-200 million.
Agreed. I had an argument with a guy over at Zig's board about the value of Hosmer's upcoming contract. I said he could go for 9 years/$234 million. I was told I was nuts. I probably am, but not about this. The salary structure has escalated again. There's still a lot of TV revenue money still out there and currently burning holes in owner's wallets.