• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Yu Darvish

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we get a chance to test my theory now. I've thought that Yu was starstruck when he faced Ichiro and that is why he suffered against SEA. Now we get to see if that is true. If Yu goes out and dominates SEA, maybe there was some truth to my thinking.

If it ends up being true, then SEA just screwed us big time. There is a good chance that if we make the playoffs we could run into NYY. If they have this secret weapon that destroys Yu's psyche, that would not be good.

i bet you that has nothing to do with it

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn. I hadn't considered that.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen any of his starts lately. Are the umps giving him the edges? Maybe his walks will go down once he gets some status.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen any of his starts lately. Are the umps giving him the edges? Maybe his walks will go down once he gets some status.

He's been too erratic at times to get done calls on the black, though it looked like he was getting squeezed a few times in his last start.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i bet you that has nothing to do with it

You are probably right. Pitching to the guy that you grew up idolizing is probably no big deal.

AGZBASEBALL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Thats the Dirty Secret of Baseball that the Umps will never admit to. The Veteran Pitchers Get the Calls on the Edges that the Young Pitchers don't get. The Strike Zone isn't the same for every Pitcher. Darvish just needs to be more agressive like He was against the Angels. Use his Fastball more. The Angels are a explosive hitting team. Darvish pitched Great this past Saturday against that Lineup.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats the Dirty Secret of Baseball that the Umps will never admit to. The Veteran Pitchers Get the Calls on the Edges that the Young Pitchers don't get. The Strike Zone isn't the same for every Pitcher. Darvish just needs to be more agressive like He was against the Angels. Use his Fastball more. The Angels are a explosive hitting team. Darvish pitched Great this past Saturday against that Lineup.

He will get the benefit over time. You have to imagine that if there is a borderline call that an umpire has to make in a split second, and it was thrown by Martin Perez, it's probably something like 50/50 strike/ball. If Cliff Lee is throwing it, it is probably closer to 80/20 K/ball because Lee has shown over time that he can hit the spot he is aiming for. So if he paints a corner, he gets the benefit of "that is where he wanted it, probably a strike".

AGZBASEBALL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Another strange thing about strike calls. If the Catcher sets a certain Target and you hit it on the Black you often will get the call. But if the Catcher sets a Target on one Corner and the Pitcher misses badly and the Catcher had to move to Catch it you won't get the strike call. Even if its still in the Strike Zone.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yu Darvish's stuff looks great in first rehab start since Tommy John surgery
By Matt Snyder | Baseball Writer

May 2, 2016 1:11 pm ET

yu-darvish-5216.jpg
Yu Darvish suited up on Sunday. (MiLB.com screengrab)

At 14-11, the defending AL West champion Rangers are off to a good start for the season. In several weeks, they'll be adding some help to their rotation in the form of strikeout-artist Yu Darvish, too.

Darvish missed all of 2015 due to needing Tommy John surgery. On Sunday, he made his first minor-league rehab start since the procedure and looked like his old self.

In two innings for Double-A Frisco, Darvish didn't allow a run or a hit. He struck out two while walking one. He threw 32 pitches, 18 of which were strikes.

This sounds all well and good, but how was his stuff?

Um, pretty ... pretty ... pretty good.

Those on scene reported that Darvish's fastball averaged 94.3 percent and topped out at 97 (MiLB.com). Throughout 2014, Darvish's heater never averaged more than 93.85 mph in a month -- though it needs to be noted that velocity should be up in a shorter outing than a longer one, this is still a good sign that his arm is feeling strong.

How about the curve? Go to the 2:25 mark of the video here:

That'll play.

Darvish's return won't happen for a bit, because he'll need to work his way up the pitch count progressively. Surely he'll need to be able to show he can go at least 90 pitches without tiring and teams usually don't ramp up the workload more than 15-20 pitches per outing.

Still, a return is on the horizon and so far it should be exciting for the Rangers. Thus far in his big-league career, Darvish is 39-25 with a 3.27 ERA (128 ERA+), 1.20 WHIP and 680 strikeouts in 545 1/3 innings. In his last full season (2013), Darvish led the majors with 277 strikeouts and also held the best hit rate (6.2 H/9 allowed) in the AL, finishing second in AL Cy Young voting.

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a question. When Darvish comes back to the starting rotation......who gets knocked out of the rotation because of it? The Rangers starters are boasting on of the best ERA's in the AL, so why rock the boat?

This may have been covered in another thread, but I saw "yu darvish" thread and thought this would be the place for my inquiry.

mlb-watch-darvish-cowboy-hat.jpg

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a question. When Darvish comes back to the starting rotation......who gets knocked out of the rotation because of it? The Rangers starters are boasting on of the best ERA's in the AL, so why rock the boat?

This may have been covered in another thread, but I saw "yu darvish" thread and thought this would be the place for my inquiry.

View attachment 113749

It has been talked about in some of the other threads, most likely series threads, but most think something inevitably happens injury wise or other that makes it a non issue. Though if all remains the same it will be whomever has options and may not be performing as well as the rest. At this point some say it might be Martin Perez

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has been talked about in some of the other threads, most likely series threads, but most think something inevitably happens injury wise or other that makes it a non issue. Though if all remains the same it will be whomever has options and may not be performing as well as the rest. At this point some say it might be Martin Perez

So in that scenario, does Perez go to the bull pen? Kinda like what Rangers constantly did with Ogando?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So in that scenario, does Perez go to the bull pen? Kinda like what Rangers constantly did with Ogando?

No. He would go to Round Rock most likely. Sending any of the pitchers in our current rotation to the pen would be a huge mistake.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Knowing that it was a mistake the way Ogando was probably handled, I don't think it would be bad to send Teen to RR to cut down on the walks and have some success there and build his confidence. He would be the first to get called up when another SP inevitably has an injury issue. That said it is very doubtful Colby is sent to the pen this year, even if he was possibly not performing the best of the current SP

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one good thing about this " problem" is that we can take our time and make sure he is ready. No rush. Give him as many rehab starts as he needs.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yu Darvish's stuff looks great in first rehab start since Tommy John surgery
By Matt Snyder | Baseball Writer

May 2, 2016 1:11 pm ET

View attachment 113606
Yu Darvish suited up on Sunday. (MiLB.com screengrab)

At 14-11, the defending AL West champion Rangers are off to a good start for the season. In several weeks, they'll be adding some help to their rotation in the form of strikeout-artist Yu Darvish, too.

Darvish missed all of 2015 due to needing Tommy John surgery. On Sunday, he made his first minor-league rehab start since the procedure and looked like his old self.

In two innings for Double-A Frisco, Darvish didn't allow a run or a hit. He struck out two while walking one. He threw 32 pitches, 18 of which were strikes.

This sounds all well and good, but how was his stuff?

Um, pretty ... pretty ... pretty good.

Those on scene reported that Darvish's fastball averaged 94.3 percent and topped out at 97 (MiLB.com). Throughout 2014, Darvish's heater never averaged more than 93.85 mph in a month -- though it needs to be noted that velocity should be up in a shorter outing than a longer one, this is still a good sign that his arm is feeling strong.

How about the curve? Go to the 2:25 mark of the video here:

That'll play.

Darvish's return won't happen for a bit, because he'll need to work his way up the pitch count progressively. Surely he'll need to be able to show he can go at least 90 pitches without tiring and teams usually don't ramp up the workload more than 15-20 pitches per outing.

Still, a return is on the horizon and so far it should be exciting for the Rangers. Thus far in his big-league career, Darvish is 39-25 with a 3.27 ERA (128 ERA+), 1.20 WHIP and 680 strikeouts in 545 1/3 innings. In his last full season (2013), Darvish led the majors with 277 strikeouts and also held the best hit rate (6.2 H/9 allowed) in the AL, finishing second in AL Cy Young voting.
Not surprised he is throwing harder. My nephew had the same surgery in college and went from 89 to 92 once he got back

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprised he is throwing harder. My nephew had the same surgery in college and went from 89 to 92 once he got back

That's usually the case. The question mark is control.