• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Yu Darvish

Desertdawg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Rangers will have both CJ and Darvish. They just signed an $80 mill deal with FSW and have quietly picked up the two Japanese pitchers. One of pitchers played on the same team in Japan with him and the other one went to school with him. He has friends here. I think maybe Colby Lewis may know him from his time playing over there. I see it as we get both of them.

Stinky Britches

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers will have both CJ and Darvish. They just signed an $80 mill deal with FSW and have quietly picked up the two Japanese pitchers. One of pitchers played on the same team in Japan with him and the other one went to school with him. He has friends here. I think maybe Colby Lewis may know him from his time playing over there. I see it as we get both of them.

wishful thinking

the free agency game isn't that simple

but i hope your right

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darvish vs. Oakland: 1-2 in 3 starts, 20 innings, 10 ERs, 4.50 ERA

Darvish vs. Seattle: 1-2 in 3 starts, 16 innings, 16 ERs, 9.00 ERA

Total: 2-4 in 6 starts with a 6.50 ERA

Rest of the league: 8-2 with a 2.71 ERA

Obviously he needs to pick up his game vs. the bad offenses, can't really think of a reason this would happen unless he's not taking these games serious, but I'm willing to listen

Another thing, teams are stacking the lineup with LHHs, as Darvish has faced more lefty hitters than righties (300 PAs vs. 176), Darvish hasn't been terrible vs. lefties but he hasn't exactly been good either

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Interesting perspective ... without checking with his 9.00ERA against he might be SEA's most desired opposing pitcher. Can't imagine if any other ML pitcher has lower numbers against them across 3 starts.

I noticed the other night the long run of LH bats facing Nathan. Need to see if they have more LH or SH bats than most rosters. I think most teams will try and use opposite bat hitters against all pitchers but 300 versus 176 sounds like a pretty hefty imbalance.

kap1959

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about his walks in those games, jta? I'm just curious because he seems to have control problems early on in his poor outings.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What about his walks in those games, jta? I'm just curious because he seems to have control problems early on in his poor outings.

Good point... especially during Away games where his #Ks is close to Home games yet his K/BB ratio is half of what it is at Home. Wonder if sitting in the dugout during the top of the first inning on the road is too much of a layoff from his bullpen warm up session?

In his 17 starts the first batter he has faced has 3H and 4BB against 3Ks. he has 4BB against 3Ks for a .231 .412 .308 .719 line.

Since he clearly has a high pitch count tolerance ... wonder if he would respond better in the first inning if he stayed in the bullpen for the top of the first and threw 8 to 10 pitches as if those were the first two hitters with a focus on throwing 6 strikes in a row before entering the game?

fanman8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Darvish vs. Oakland: 1-2 in 3 starts, 20 innings, 10 ERs, 4.50 ERA

Darvish vs. Seattle: 1-2 in 3 starts, 16 innings, 16 ERs, 9.00 ERA

Total: 2-4 in 6 starts with a 6.50 ERA

Rest of the league: 8-2 with a 2.71 ERA

Obviously he needs to pick up his game vs. the bad offenses, can't really think of a reason this would happen unless he's not taking these games serious, but I'm willing to listen

Another thing, teams are stacking the lineup with LHHs, as Darvish has faced more lefty hitters than righties (300 PAs vs. 176), Darvish hasn't been terrible vs. lefties but he hasn't exactly been good either

Darvish simply needs to stop walking hitters. Early on he was getting away with it and now the walks are starting to catch up with him. I know Seattle is one of the worst teams offensively and nearly last in every offensive category. Its baffling to me that he has struggled against the Mariners because nobody in their line-up scares anyone. Just hope this is not a trend and he gets this straightened out.
Btw good call on M.Harrison. Remembered your post to me in May that you were confindent in Harry's sinker and that he would be fine. At that time he had struggled in early May in some consecutive starts and his ERA ballooned up over 5.00. Admittedly at that time I was a bit skeptical, but he has now become our ace and has a legitimate shot at the Cy Young. Kudos to you Jta for making that call when Harry was struggling

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been telling you guys how good Harry was for two years.

RangersTX

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yu now leads the majors in most number of 11 strikeouts games with 4. He needs to start being more consistently good.Heard someone say that in his outing against the mariners he was pitching timidly,not relying on his fastball enough,not putting it in the strikezone. Against the Angels he was being more aggressive and not getting too cute or complicated with a wide range of pitches,just using changeup,fastball and a third pitch.The coaches hopefully have fixed his problems

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yu now leads the majors in most number of 11 strikeouts games with 4. He needs to start being more consistently good.Heard someone say that in his outing against the mariners he was pitching timidly,not relying on his fastball enough,not putting it in the strikezone. Against the Angels he was being more aggressive and not getting too cute or complicated with a wide range of pitches,just using changeup,fastball and a third pitch.The coaches hopefully have fixed his problems

It's just a mental deal with Seattle. Obviously he's good enough to dominate that lineup. All pitchers have those teams they struggle with. He will be fine. I still think he's ace quality. Just cut down on the walks. Some of that may be the new mound and new baseball where he just loses his feel for a while.

RangersTX

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just a mental deal with Seattle. Obviously he's good enough to dominate that lineup. All pitchers have those teams they struggle with. He will be fine. I still think he's ace quality. Just cut down on the walks. Some of that may be the new mound and new baseball where he just loses his feel for a while.

Probably.For some reason they are his achilles heel.Only divisional rival he has success with,fortunately,is the Angels.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didnt watch the whole game but did he use all of his pitches?

Focused mostly on the fastball with some cutters, change ups, and sliders. I don't think he threw a single curve all all game, or at least he didn't use it as an out pitch. Which was surprising to me because IMO that's his best out pitch. He definitely didn't have his best command, but te stuff was good enough to still dominate them. If he cuts the walks out it would've been an incredibly dominating performance and probably would've shut them out. With the way the ball was carrying he did a great job keeping the ball down.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He gets a case of the CJ Wilson's every once in a while, it moves so much, that when he's not commanding it, he should just throw it down the middle and let it move on its own... sometimes that will work and sometimes it won't

Roy Halladay is the king of commanding pitches that move a lot, Darvish will get there someday,

don't forget he's throwing a different ball than in Japan and I'm sure thats not something you just get used to even over the course of a season, especially after several seasons of pitching in Japan

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He gets a case of the CJ Wilson's every once in a while, it moves so much, that when he's not commanding it, he should just throw it down the middle and let it move on its own... sometimes that will work and sometimes it won't

Roy Halladay is the king of commanding pitches that move a lot, Darvish will get there someday,

don't forget he's throwing a different ball than in Japan and I'm sure thats not something you just get used to even over the course of a season, especially after several seasons of pitching in Japan

Let alone the different mound. He'll still be an ace. I just don't see any way he doesn't get it dialed in when he's striking out 10-11 a game.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think next year darvish will have a big year strikeing out maybe 210-240 guys next year. How many more starts does everyone think he will get? I see him strikeing out atleast 200 guys this season

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think next year darvish will have a big year strikeing out maybe 210-240 guys next year. How many more starts does everyone think he will get? I see him strikeing out atleast 200 guys this season

With 69 games remaining and he pitches every fifth game ... he would have 13 more regular season starts. He has averaged 7.3K/start ... that projects to 95 more Ks ... for a season total of 227Ks.

If he gets skipped twice to give him a rest ... that is 11 starts ... and he still finishes with 212Ks.

He only needs 68 more Ks to finish with 200 ... which in 13 starts he would need to average 5.2K/game. In his 18 starts he has had less than 6Ks in only 7 of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we get a chance to test my theory now. I've thought that Yu was starstruck when he faced Ichiro and that is why he suffered against SEA. Now we get to see if that is true. If Yu goes out and dominates SEA, maybe there was some truth to my thinking.

If it ends up being true, then SEA just screwed us big time. There is a good chance that if we make the playoffs we could run into NYY. If they have this secret weapon that destroys Yu's psyche, that would not be good.