• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your unpopular baseball opinions

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Astros did the right thing and should be celebrated as heroes.
giphy.gif

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete Rose is one of the most overrated hitters of all-time. There are (mostly casual) fans that look at his hit record and assume he was one of the greatest hitters of all-time. Still a good hitter and HOF caliber player IMO.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bert Blyleven was just as good, if not better than Nolan Ryan...

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the AL having the DH and the NL not. Variety is the spice of life.

This is EXACTLY how I feel, baseball's killer app is the quirkiness. Different parks, different league rules, human balls and strikes callers. I like other sports too but I like baseball being different.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were 9 baseball seasons in the 90s.

Braves:
-8 consecutive division titles
-8 NLCS appearances
-5 National League Pennants (out of 9!)
-1 world title

Yankees:
-3 division titles
-2 wild cards
-3 American League Pennants
-3 world titles

The Braves have a VERY strong argument.

Still stings a bit. Had the best team in baseball in ‘93, ‘96, & , ‘97.
The 1994 Montreal Expos say "tiens ma bière"

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All he's gotta do is die and I'm okay with it.

Not a second before.

It checks all the boxes. We know his numbers put him there, so they will put him there. But after he's dead, that's the punishment, he doesn't get to see it, doesn't get to brag he waited out MLB, etc. He's got HOF-level numbers, now he can pay his HOF-level punishment.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He took off strike games. Want the streak? Be a scab and play the games.

On one level yes he did get a break, but hadn't he passed Gehrig already by late 1994? But no he should not have been a scab that's stupid.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete Rose is one of the most overrated hitters of all-time. There are (mostly casual) fans that look at his hit record and assume he was one of the greatest hitters of all-time. Still a good hitter and HOF caliber player IMO.
I think I know your answer based on your fandom, but who's more overrated Rose or Jeter?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It checks all the boxes. We know his numbers put him there, so they will put him there. But after he's dead, that's the punishment, he doesn't get to see it, doesn't get to brag he waited out MLB, etc. He's got HOF-level numbers, now he can pay his HOF-level punishment.
It's not like he didn't agree to it.

Dude signed his banishment papers.

Was an honest to goodness hero to me as a kid. And gambling wouldn't have changed that on its own.

Sucks. His missteps can only be atoned by death.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was so much more than a hitter.

The true embodiment of squeezing out every drop of your skill and talent. And by no means was Pete Rose blessed with elite level talent. Fucker honed some skills though.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The true embodiment of squeezing out every drop of your skill and talent. And by no means was Pete Rose blessed with elite level talent. Fucker honed some skills though.

Charlie Hustle was a real thing. It's part of why he's a HOFer.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I know your answer based on your fandom, but who's more overrated Rose or Jeter?

that's tough. I'd probably lean towards Rose just because there's some fans that label him the "best hitter evah", though Jeter also has the True Yankee/Best SS Evah stigma around him. I don't think many people outside of Yankees fans really overrate Jeter's defense anymore. And even then, Yankee fans don't seem to be as defensive about it as they used to be. I think his bat (a 115 OPS+ is great by shortstop standards) and baserunning (stole 358 bases at a 78.7% success rate and he took extra bases at a 45% rate) more than make up for that and he deserves his HOF enshrinement IMO. Top 10-15 shortstop seems about right.

Oh, no question. And I admit I sell him short a little by saying he was a "good hitter". He had a few outstanding seasons at the plate (1968 and 1969 especially) and he did have a 126 OPS+ from 1963-1979. His last 7 seasons do make his numbers look worse. But that's another thing that didn't sit well with me about Rose, he was a player-manager and could insert himself into the lineup whenever he pleased. Even if his bat was hurting the offense. That being said, I don't quite think he's one of the most overrated players of all-time. Just an overrated hitter.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2005 and 2010 were the two greatest seasons in baseball history.

Those are amazing seasons. I'd throw 2004 up there as well though there's some bias involved.

- The ALCS and NLCS were incredible
- NL MVP race. The league was absolutely loaded with monster seasons. Bonds, Pujols, Rolen, Edmonds, Drew, Beltre, Helton and Randy Johnson just to name a few.
- Ichiro's 262 hits
- Randy Johnson's perfect game and reaching 4000 K
- Maddux getting win #300
- AL West Race
- NL West and Wild Card race

2011 is also up there even though it involved an epic choke by the Red Sox, but the races and postseason were too good.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Though most Cards/Braves/Dodgers/Red Sox/Phillies fans beg to differ, I think J.D. Drew was an underrated player. He had a career line of .278/.384/.489 with a 125 OPS+ (the same as Bernie Williams, Edwin Encarnacion, Ron Santo, Robinson Cano) and 44.9 career WAR (ahead of Nomar, Delgado, Matt Holliday, Gil Hodges (who gets a lot of HOF love) and Adrian Gonzalez. It's not unfair to criticize his durability (or lack thereof), he had only 6153 plate appearances and only had 5 seasons with 500+ PA. He also drew comparisons to Mickey Mantle, which is just an unfair standard for any player to live up to. Overall, I think he was a very good player who showed flashes of Hall of Fame ability (2001 and 2004) but had trouble doing it over a full season.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's tough. I'd probably lean towards Rose just because there's some fans that label him the "best hitter evah", though Jeter also has the True Yankee/Best SS Evah stigma around him. I don't think many people outside of Yankees fans really overrate Jeter's defense anymore. And even then, Yankee fans don't seem to be as defensive about it as they used to be. I think his bat (a 115 OPS+ is great by shortstop standards) and baserunning (stole 358 bases at a 78.7% success rate and he took extra bases at a 45% rate) more than make up for that and he deserves his HOF enshrinement IMO. Top 10-15 shortstop seems about right.

Oh, no question. And I admit I sell him short a little by saying he was a "good hitter". He had a few outstanding seasons at the plate (1968 and 1969 especially) and he did have a 126 OPS+ from 1963-1979. His last 7 seasons do make his numbers look worse. But that's another thing that didn't sit well with me about Rose, he was a player-manager and could insert himself into the lineup whenever he pleased. Even if his bat was hurting the offense. That being said, I don't quite think he's one of the most overrated players of all-time. Just an overrated hitter.
Yeah I think he'll end up being both overrated and underrated. Some casual fans will overrate him because of the Hit King status and stuff. But some younger fans that focus on stats and never saw him play will probably underrate him if they just look at his OPS or whatever. He was never the best player (definitely not the most talented) on any of the teams he played on but he was good at winning.
Not really a good defensive player but always good enough that if you had someone you needed to get in the lineup he could switch positions at any time to make the team better. And I don't remember him ever complaining about it and it never seemed to affect his hitting.

On those big red machine teams he was in his mid 30's and they just switched him from the outfield to third base (I guess because Griffey and Foster were coming into their own) and he never missed a beat.

Forget about all the gambling and other bs about him, just as a baseball player he's one of those guys where you probably both admire him and hate him. Unless he goes to your team then the hate goes to "thank God this guy is on my team instead of the guys we're playing".