• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your team's grades

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Cedrique @jvett77 @northeastphillyguy @Guy Incognito anyone I'm forgetting on my round-up of the 2016 Phillies

Dr. Oberholtzer: A-. Yes, the ERA left something to be desired, but a lot of that can be explained by bad luck, as his FIP, xFIP, and SIERRA were all in line with just "really sucking" instead of "not being worthy of a minor league roster spot." I originally had him a B, but then I remembered fondly all the times he circled the W in an extra-inning game like a vulture circling a rotting carcass, and I had to bump him up. Also, that save in Arizona was very clutch. I bet his WPA/LI was sky high for that game.

The German: D+. You sucked. As Cedrique once pointed out, we all have been led to believe that Germans are cool and calculating under pressure, but you clearly weren't with your .182 wOBA in high leverage situations (Aaron Altherr » Splits Tool | FanGraphs Baseball) and overall Clutch rating of -0.37. When you came to the plate with runners on base this season, I often found myself sipping my JD's saying "when the OBP is higher than the SLG, you know this has got to be good..."

Bull: B+. Solid, overall play, and you had that awesome hanging-on when that guy who I can't remember barreled you over from the throw from Tyler Goeddel. Sure, it wasn't a Pete Rose type collision that was inflicted upon you, but at least you can take pride that you didn't start up some new pussy rule about runners not making conflict at all and making sure you don't smear their eyeliner and make up as you tag them on a slide play (cough cough @calsnowskier)

Jimmy Paredes: A. All I can say is

And lastly, Piece: A+. Sure, you hit .196/.257/.453 (well actually the slugging isn't half bad) while making more money than The Beatles did in the '60s, but you're still the fucking man. And even though you didn't hit that home run on the last day of the season, in my heart I'll, always know you're better than Jim Rice or Frank "Little Piece" Howard

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to forget about '16. Mainly because of all those worthless fruits in the OF who couldn't catch or hit for shit (except Odubel).

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, mine is easy. Cubs. A+.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aledmys Diaz A. Exceeded all expectations despite not playing all year
Carlos Martinez A. Met really high expectations
Matt Carpenter A-. Was really hot until he was injured and regressed back to his normal stats.
Jedd Gyorko A-. Was on fire for a short period of time, good power, decent overall season.

Yadier Molina B+. Not the same guy at C but exceeded my expectations at the plate

Mike Leake D. Really needs to bounce back next year.
Jaime Garcia D. Really needs to bounce back next year.

Adam Wainwright F. Gave up the most hits and earned runs in MLB. Walks up, HRs up, strike outs down. ugh
Trevor Rosenthal F. Goes without saying
Lance Lynn F Injured All Year

This would take at least an hour. Im going to pass on grading everyone.

B- to the team overall.

B to Matheny. IIRC he had a great number of substitute hitting HRs but he also left Jaime Garcia out to dry one game and is a general punching bag on Cardinals message board.

C- to Mozeliak for whiffing on Leake, going on all in Heyward and getting lucky by not getting him. Somehow managed to not destroy the team, though, so C- is as low as Ill go.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Cedrique @jvett77 @northeastphillyguy @Guy Incognito anyone I'm forgetting on my round-up of the 2016 Phillies

Dr. Oberholtzer: A-. Yes, the ERA left something to be desired, but a lot of that can be explained by bad luck, as his FIP, xFIP, and SIERRA were all in line with just "really sucking" instead of "not being worthy of a minor league roster spot." I originally had him a B, but then I remembered fondly all the times he circled the W in an extra-inning game like a vulture circling a rotting carcass, and I had to bump him up. Also, that save in Arizona was very clutch. I bet his WPA/LI was sky high for that game.

The German: D+. You sucked. As Cedrique once pointed out, we all have been led to believe that Germans are cool and calculating under pressure, but you clearly weren't with your .182 wOBA in high leverage situations (Aaron Altherr » Splits Tool | FanGraphs Baseball) and overall Clutch rating of -0.37. When you came to the plate with runners on base this season, I often found myself sipping my JD's saying "when the OBP is higher than the SLG, you know this has got to be good..."

Bull: B+. Solid, overall play, and you had that awesome hanging-on when that guy who I can't remember barreled you over from the throw from Tyler Goeddel. Sure, it wasn't a Pete Rose type collision that was inflicted upon you, but at least you can take pride that you didn't start up some new pussy rule about runners not making conflict at all and making sure you don't smear their eyeliner and make up as you tag them on a slide play (cough cough @calsnowskier)

Jimmy Paredes: A. All I can say is

And lastly, Piece: A+. Sure, you hit .196/.257/.453 (well actually the slugging isn't half bad) while making more money than The Beatles did in the '60s, but you're still the fucking man. And even though you didn't hit that home run on the last day of the season, in my heart I'll, always know you're better than Jim Rice or Frank "Little Piece" Howard

You forgot a couple:
Little Roman - A++++++
Proved that he will be a mainstay on the team for the next decade. Also made Odubel completely expendable.

Taylor Featherston - B-
Came into the league (actually came into the world) with the gayest name ever, but he made it work for himself with a respectable .332 OPS.

and last, but certainly not least Vincent Velasquez A + :wank::wank::wank::wank::wank::wank::wank::wank:

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You forgot a couple:
Little Roman - A++++++
Proved that he will be a mainstay on the team for the next decade. Also made Odubel completely expendable.

Taylor Featherston - B-
Came into the league (actually came into the world) with the gayest name ever, but he made it work for himself with a respectable .332 OPS.

and last, but certainly not least Vincent Velasquez A + :wank::wank::wank::wank::wank::wank::wank::wank:
Vince Velasquez is only an A because of all the new keyboards I had to buy when I would write about him and get a little too excited

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the Reds moving up to a C-minus next year on the strength of a more durable starting rotation.
Overall, the team should be about the same otherwise.

Infield defense: mediocre if they trade Cozart
Outfield defense: maybe 2 GG's in Hamilton and Duvall
Catching: Unknown until Mesoraco shows he can play
Overall offense: slightly below average ... HRs are up in homer-friendly park. Loss of Bruce will not hurt
Baserunning: well above average ... Hamilton and Peraza can motor
Bench: geezus, why ask?
Bullpen: Got some rusty nails to drive into your skull ... Jumbo Diaz. At least Hoover's gone
Rotation: If it works, this is a .500 team. If not, 5th place. Keep an eye on Tim Adleman (he said). Can Bailey pitch? I doubt it.
Dugout staff: losing 86, 98 and 94 games is good enough for Bryan Price. Can't blame this on Dusty, can we?
GM: Ever heard the one about .....?
Budget: chirp chirp
Potential all-stars: Votto, Hamilton
Best newcomer: Schebler
Free agent they might sign: Travis Wood

What interests me about the Cubs and the Cardinals is that, alleging the Reds and Brewers are a step closer to contending, what does that do to the overall records inside the division?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What interests me about the Cubs and the Cardinals is that, alleging the Reds and Brewers are a step closer to contending, what does that do to the overall records inside the division?
The Pirates and Cardinals are both big wild cards.

Cardinals were supposed to be good at pitching and bad at hitting last year. Instead they were good at hitting and bad at pitching (and probably related: also bad at defense). I like the Cards young hitters but they are losing Matt Holliday so they might be suspect to some depth issues potentially but with the Cardinals it comes down to their 6 underachieving pitchers from last year: Wacha, Lynn, Wainwright, Rosenthal, Garcia and Leake. They probably need at least 2 to return from the abyss or they'll likely not be championship competitive again.

Pirates had McCutchen fall off a cliff and starting pitching issues. McCuthen goes from 5-7 WAR type player to negative WAR which dropped them from the playoff race just from that factor alone. PIT could be anything next year from 2nd place to last place. Its hard to say so I'll leave that to Pirates fans.

I suspect there might be some mild regression from the Cubs, too, if only because its difficult to be as good as they were last year. I know that in some ways they under performed in the regular season last year so thats certainly no guarantee.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C overall

Outfield [D]- JD Martinez is one of the worst fielding RFers in baseball. Took huge steps back but can still hit. Maybin whom is gone was also underwhelming and has one of the worst arms in the majors. Not a CFer and is more of a LFer at this point. Guys like Tyler Collins also rotated in whom sucks and Gose was a disaster offensively. LF was all Upton whom was below average defensively but turned it on offensively the last two months

Infield (B)- When Iglesius was healthy he was really good at SS defensively and he was mediocre with the bat as expected. Kinsler is still an above average defensive 2nd baseman and still had a plus bat. Miggy surprisingly was a top 4 glove at 1st base and his bad was solid as usual. 3rd base was the weakness although Castellanos was a good bat when healthy, still a below average fielder. McGehee sucked at bat and was a slighter better defender than Castellanos.

Starting Pitching [C]-A lot of good young assets stepped up this season but that is offset but the disasters of Anibal Sanchez and Jordan Zimmerman. Along with Mike Pelfrey that makes this class a solid C even though JV had a Cy Young level season.

Bullpen [C-]- Rondon has somewhat revitalized himself and K-Rod was solid as a closer overall ableit had a terrible performance against the Royals in the final week of the season. Alex Wilson was solid but Justin Wilson faltered a bit. Mark Lowe was a big time disaster and one of the main reason I feel like the BP underachieved. Shane Green also faltered as the season progressed after his injuries and the BP by the end was put together with duck tap.

Team is probably unloading with salary dumps in the offseason with a very mediocre GM. I forsee a dumpster fire in the near future despite dougplayer's opinions.