• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your Take on the new Head Coaches/from best to worst

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of changes.
From a W/L standpoint have to go with.

Top Tier
Kirby Smart/Georgia - Already walking into a really good team.
Justin Fuente/VT - Has all the ingredients to have a really good first year.

Next Tier
Bronco Mendenhall/Virginia - Good Coach with not much to work with/will take more than a year.
Mark Richt/Miami - Will see an immediate jump in performance.
Scott Frost/UCF - Nowhere to go but up/Good hire.
Clay Helton/USC - Who the hell is this guy??

A Step Down
Tracy Claeys/Minnesota - Won't be Jerry Kill/already saw him lose 2 games due to poor coaching
Barry Odom/Missouri - It's Missouri/enough said.

Bad Situations/Bad Hires
Will Muschump/Scar - What were they thinking/at least the last 2 hires had an NC behind them.
Jim Grobe/Baylor - Have no idea why this guy took this job/situation is just terrible.

Who did I leave out.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think the Jim Grobe hire at Baylor was great. He's a dramatic departure in character from Art Briles, and it's not like he had anything better going for him. He has a chance to change the entire culture of the team and possibly weather the storm. If he fails to do so, nobody will hold it against him because the situation was so bad to begin with.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think the Jim Grobe hire at Baylor was great. He's a dramatic departure in character from Art Briles, and it's not like he had anything better going for him. He has a chance to change the entire culture of the team and possibly weather the storm. If he fails to do so, nobody will hold it against him because the situation was so bad to begin with.

He's already fucking up tho.......won't release players from their LOI. Lawsuits and the NCAA will have to step in. He's already eliminated any recruiting he could have possibly had instate. He's a dead man walking.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's already fucking up tho.......won't release players from their LOI. Lawsuits and the NCAA will have to step in. He's already eliminated any recruiting he could have possibly had instate. He's a dead man walking.
I wouldn't say that's fucking up at all. He isn't telling them they absolutely won't be released, he's saying he isn't releasing any until he gets to meet with them, which is certainly well within his right to do. Besides, I don't think this is going to affect future recruiting. If a kid wants to play for Grobe and for Baylor, he's not going to look back and say "Well you didn't let that one dude out of his commitment though, so I'm going to go elsewhere."

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of changes.

Top Tier

Next Tier
Bronco Mendenhall/Virginia - Good Coach with not much to work with/will take more than a year.

A Step Down
Tracy Claeys/Minnesota - Won't be Jerry Kill/already saw him lose 2 games due to poor coaching

Bad Situations/Bad Hires
Will Muschump/Scar - What were they thinking/at least the last 2 hires had an NC behind them.
Jim Grobe/Baylor - Have no idea why this guy took this job/situation is just terrible.

Who did I leave out.

I 100% agree with everything you said.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually really like the Justin Fuente spot at VT. He's in a great place and so is that program. They've got a stud JUCO QB coming in this fall and they've got some good talent still remaining on the team. It wouldn't shock me to see them back atop the Coastal rankings in the next couple of years.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of changes.

Top Tier

Next Tier

A Step Down

Bad Situations/Bad Hires

Who did I leave out.

DJ Durkin at Maryland
Chris Ash at Rutgers
Lovie Smith at Illinois

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of changes.

Top Tier

Next Tier

A Step Down

Bad Situations/Bad Hires

Who did I leave out.

Kelani Sitake-BYU

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of changes.

Top Tier

Next Tier

A Step Down

Bad Situations/Bad Hires

Who did I leave out.
Fritz for Tulane is great hire. Louisiana has a lot of under rated triple option talent, as much as I despise running an out dated high school offense, it can work in the AAC.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Article I read said they reason he took it was because Grant Teaff asked him to and he thinks a lot of Grant Teaff.

TROJAN-MAN

Been around the block more times than the mailman
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of changes.

Top Tier

Next Tier

A Step Down

Bad Situations/Bad Hires

Who did I leave out.

How is Smart considered " Top Tier " he has never held a head coach position

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fritz for Tulane is great hire. Louisiana has a lot of under rated triple option talent, as much as I despise running an out dated high school offense, it can work in the AAC.

He actually seems to run a lot more spread option

He did a lot more triple option qualities at Georgia Southern because that is traditionally a triple option school.

Fritz may not get much done this year but he will have Tulane better than we've seen them in a long time soon.

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see how Fuente turns out. I think it was a solid hire by VT but Beamer is a God to that fanbase and its rare for someone to walk into that and be successful enough to keep fans happy.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say that's fucking up at all. He isn't telling them they absolutely won't be released, he's saying he isn't releasing any until he gets to meet with them, which is certainly well within his right to do. Besides, I don't think this is going to affect future recruiting. If a kid wants to play for Grobe and for Baylor, he's not going to look back and say "Well you didn't let that one dude out of his commitment though, so I'm going to go elsewhere."

Guess we'll disagree here

He's not meeting with them to help them out. He's holding them up from joining another school which negatively impacts them as students and athletes. It's self serving......and it's a douchebag move. NO kid is going to change their mind. Let them go.

Grobe, and the school, is putting football ahead of the right thing.....which is exactly what got them here in the first place.

And YES, it will affect recruiting. When things were at their worst the coach held kids hostage at Baylor. You'd think they'd have learned that forcing people to do what they don't want is a bad idea by now.

Those kids come from several powerhouse programs in state. Both the parents and coaches will do nothing but bad mouth Baylor for YEARS over this.

He's a dead man walking. The only good thing for him is he gets to fleece the school for a check and doesn't need to have any wins to show for it.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess we'll disagree here

He's not meeting with them to help them out. He's holding them up from joining another school which negatively impacts them as students and athletes. It's self serving......and it's a douchebag move. NO kid is going to change their mind. Let them go.

Grobe, and the school, is putting football ahead of the right thing.....which is exactly what got them here in the first place.

And YES, it will affect recruiting. When things were at their worst the coach held kids hostage at Baylor. You'd think they'd have learned that forcing people to do what they don't want is a bad idea by now.

Those kids come from several powerhouse programs in state. Both the parents and coaches will do nothing but bad mouth Baylor for YEARS over this.

He's a dead man walking. The only good thing for him is he gets to fleece the school for a check and doesn't need to have any wins to show for it.
I don't necessarily disagree with you, I think it would be in his best interest to let them go in the end. Meeting with these kids in the most expeditious manner is the right thing to do, no doubt. However, he wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't at least try and persuade these kids that they still made the right choice and that playing for him can still get them to where they want to go.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't necessarily disagree with you, I think it would be in his best interest to let them go in the end. Meeting with these kids in the most expeditious manner is the right thing to do, no doubt. However, he wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't at least try and persuade these kids that they still made the right choice and that playing for him can still get them to where they want to go.

This is where we disagree. This is self serving and putting football over morality. This thought process is why they are having the issues they are.

They are in a r*pe scandal. You aren't going to tell those kids and families ANYTHING that is going to even remotely make them think twice about leaving. That decision has been MADE. It's done.

All he's doing right now is causing further damage because those kids can't enroll somewhere else and get on campus. It's a complete asshole move. And it isn't going to go well with him moving forward because those parents TALK to other parents. Those HS coaches TALK to other recruits and parents.

His job is to coach the kids that WANT to be there. These kids don't. Let them go, and the faster the better for all involved, including him.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's a dead man walking.
This is 100% correct but it isn't all on Grobe IMHO. The "not releasing immediately" may be on Grobe, but the recruiting perception with the Texas HS coaches isn't going to get better whether he releases them quickly or not. That will only be remedied if Baylor makes the right permanent hire.

The talent Baylor has recruited during the Briles tenure wasn't necessarily because of Briles. While Briles did have connections to some Texas HS coaches, a lot of them didn't like Briles at all because of his high school coaching days. What recruited most of the talent was because they wanted to play in that system. (Well that and they wouldn't get punished for inappropriate actions.)

There aren't but 4-5 coaches for Baylor to hire that will immediately help heal the connection to the Texas HS coaches. Grobe isn't one of them...and neither are the vast majority. The only way Baylor has a chance in hell to stay somewhat relevant is to make the splash hire with one of the 4-5 coaches. They won't be able to do it ala the textbook version that the powerhouses do. Just my opinion.

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grobe imo wasn't a good hire. A few of the Tejass poster have mentioned it. But Grobe not giving those players an immediate LOI release doesn't sit well in Texas. Texas High School coaches are a tight group and they don't like coach's jacking around or taking advantage of their players.

One thing that did surprise me it that if you follow recruiting or Texas football...I could be wrong but Grobe has no ties to Texas football. It will be really tough coming in to r*pe University and then on top of that having no strong relationships with in regards to background Texas High School players/coaches.