• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your Single Best/Favorite "Catch All" Statistic For Hitting, Pitching, and Defense

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its derivative statistics say which relief pitchers to use in certain situations and which pinch-hitters to use in certain situations. Your point?

I see. Is it your position that managers check the WAR of the guys in their bullpen or on their bench to make decisions on who to bring in?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see. Is it your position that managers check the WAR of the guys in their bullpen or on their bench to make decisions on who to bring in?
Not WAR's, that would make little sense, but wOBA v. lefties or righties? No, they don't. This is where the competitive advantage comes in. See, Willie, this is what we call an untapped market.

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wins are the end result, not the input. That'd be like being me and saying that I want to fuck Rachel McAddams. Yeah, that's great, now how am I going to do it?

You haven't answered that with your stats, either.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You haven't answered that with your stats, either.
Dude, I literally just gave you a chart with the highest WAR's of all teams, and almost all of the highest were playoff teams. You're not going to win this one, so I'd just give up

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not WAR's, that would make little sense, but wOBA v. lefties or righties? No, they don't. This is where the competitive advantage comes in. See, Willie, this is what we call an untapped market.

Or...people who do this for a living know that you can't base a decision based off an equation. Yes, you need data, but you also need a lot of other knowledge as well. Who they're facing, what they hit well, how the particular pitcher is trending and how he looked in practice/warmup. It isn't just a matter of warming up your scientific calculator, plugging in a few numbers and pointing at the guy with the highest result. It never will be.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or...people who do this for a living know that you can't base a decision based off an equation. Yes, you need data, but you also need a lot of other knowledge as well. Who they're facing, what they hit well, how the particular pitcher is trending and how he looked in practice/warmup. It isn't just a matter of warming up your scientific calculator, plugging in a few numbers and pointing at the guy with the highest result. It never will be.
Very different tone from this
Wins. Because it pisses off all the stats nerds who try to wring all of the joy out of baseball by reducing it to a math equation.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, I literally just gave you a chart with the highest WAR's of all teams, and almost all of the highest were playoff teams. You're not going to win this one, so I'd just give up
Isn't it rather obvious that the teams with the most wins would have the most wins above replacement?

WAR is like a dummy light on a dashboard to me. It's nice it's there, when you're in a hurry, but it really isn't telling you anything unless you have time to do some deeper inspection.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Them nig/gers will never leave the plantations! They'll always be here on this farm. They'll never open their own business, things'll always be the sam'!"

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't it rather obvious that the teams with the most wins would have the most wins above replacement?

WAR is like a dummy light on a dashboard to me. It's nice it's there, when you're in a hurry, but it really isn't telling you anything unless you have time to do some deeper inspection.
Maybe on a team level, it can be obvious, but what about a single player?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Data doesn't mean increasingly esoteric math equations that don't actually tell you anything upon which to base a decision.
Yes, math is reserved for intelligent people. Real baseball discussion should be too, but I guess you didn't get the memo

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, math is reserved for intelligent people. Real baseball discussion should be too, but I guess you didn't get the memo

Don't get all salty because you don't actually understand the game. Watch a few games, Maybe you'll pick it up.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get all salty because you don't actually understand the game. Watch a few games, Maybe you'll pick it up.
I watch more Phillies games a year than you do Giants games in 2 years

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Nolan Ryan is the greatest pitcher of all time?
No.

But Cy Young and Walter Johnson are on my short list(Johnson is my #1.) and they both had more innings than Ryan.

Which may or may not be a coincidence.

Phil Niekro isn't.

It's my "favorite" stat for starters. Not the end all be all.