• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your Pick for Biggest Bust in all 11 Conferences

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cristobal seems like a really good guy and he pulled in a nice class, especially by PAC 12 standards but to me he just seems absolutely clueless as a head coach. The 27-47 record he compiled at FIU doesn’t exactly inspire confidence either. The Conference USA is arguably the most miserable conference in football. You’d think he would have posted a better record in such a bad conference. By comparison Butch Davis has gone 17-9 there in his first two seasons and he inherited an absolute mess.
So he won 9 games (1/3) of the win totals he had in Conference USA in his first year. With the majority of the roster he didn't recruit. How the hell was he not coach of the year, using your logic.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morganna the Kissing Bandit:noidea:

w_a_morganna_kh_800x450.jpg

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cristobal seems like a really good guy and he pulled in a nice class, especially by PAC 12 standards but to me he just seems absolutely clueless as a head coach. The 27-47 record he compiled at FIU doesn’t exactly inspire confidence either. The Conference USA is arguably the most miserable conference in football. You’d think he would have posted a better record in such a bad conference. By comparison Butch Davis has gone 17-9 there in his first two seasons and he inherited an absolute mess.
FIU was in the Sun Belt at the time. bigger picture MC took over a program that started playing football in 2002. They moved into the Sun Belt in 2005, never had a winning record, and were 0-12 in 2006. His first year was 2007. By his first senior class they played their first bowl and won. then another with their best record at 8 wins. they dipped and he was fired. he was only their second ever head coach.

Turner did nothing but the year he was let go FIU still won 4 games and Butch took over the next season in a different conference than MC was in at FIU

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ACC: Clemson. It's them and everyone else in the ACC this year so anything short of the playoffs is a bust. Because of their schedule they basically have to be undefeated to make the playoffs. Every team comes out flat at some point so maybe they drop one or two and have to "settle" for a NYD game. It's a stretch but I'm not sure how any other team in the conference can be a bust.

Big 10: Iowa. Ferentz got a raise last year so the odds say they lay an egg. QB and DE are salty so they may do good but this team seems to over perform when their HC is on the hot seat and underperform when they are expected to be good.

Big 12: TCU. I want to go with Oklahoma for the same reason as Clemson but I don't think Hurts going 11-2 with Rattler in the wings and an improving defense is a disappointment. And they aren't going 7-5 so their fanbase is in as good a spot as you can get regardless of their final standing. TCU took a step back last year and saw the best QB on their roster relocate to Mizzou. I think they stay at home this bowl season.

Pac 12: Utah. I'm just spitballing here. They are a consensus Pac 12 south champion pick and a dark horse playoff team. They aren't used to being in the spotlight so if they go 9-3 and finish 2nd in the conference it will be seen as a missed opportunity

SEC: Texas A&M. Don't know how it happens but they mess it up. Two years from now the Jimbo buyout will be legendary.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FIU was in the Sun Belt at the time. bigger picture MC took over a program that started playing football in 2002. They moved into the Sun Belt in 2005, never had a winning record, and were 0-12 in 2006. His first year was 2007. By his first senior class they played their first bowl and won. then another with their best record at 8 wins. they dipped and he was fired. he was only their second ever head coach.

Turner did nothing but the year he was let go FIU still won 4 games and Butch took over the next season in a different conference than MC was in at FIU

We’ll see how it goes. I was surprised at the hire in the same fashion that I was surprised that USC promoted Clay Helton from within. Not good hires IMO. Most preseason polls I’m seeing pretty much have Oregon starting off squarely at #11. No offense but I just don’t see it. I have nothing against Oregon but personally I’ll be fairly surprised if they even finish in the top 25.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. Michigan does.

Ohio State is in a rebuilding year IMO on many fronts.

If Michigan does not deliver this year, Michigan as a team and national brand are in trouble.
If Rich Rod and Hoke didn't hurt our brand, not winning the B10 this year certainly won't. Winning 10 games is still winning 10 games and while it would be disappointing not to overcome certain hurdles (B10 title, beating OSU) I'm not sure it would be considered the biggest bust. After all, we're replacing an entire defensive front 7 basically, almost half of which were NFL draft picks. I'm confident we can, but I wouldn't call the B10 title ours. Again, OSU is ranked higher in most pre-season rankings that have come out.

fritowrdo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Rich Rod and Hoke didn't hurt our brand, not winning the B10 this year certainly won't. Winning 10 games is still winning 10 games and while it would be disappointing not to overcome certain hurdles (B10 title, beating OSU) I'm not sure it would be considered the biggest bust. After all, we're replacing an entire defensive front 7 basically, almost half of which were NFL draft picks. I'm confident we can, but I wouldn't call the B10 title ours. Again, OSU is ranked higher in most pre-season rankings that have come out.

Then when does not winning a championship hurt the brand? All the SportsHoopla of Harbaugh and nothing to show for it IMO.

He was not brought in to win 10 games but win championships and beat THE.

fritowrdo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don’t see it happening. Every year for Michigan since Harbs got there it seems like that was supposed to be the case. And every year they can’t seem to get over the hump. It’s Ohio State’s conference until somebody else is able to prove otherwise with or without Urban Cryer.

So Michigan still loses again to THE?

Is THE just that good or is Michigan a school that cannot get it together to win the big games?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ACC: Clemson. It's them and everyone else in the ACC this year so anything short of the playoffs is a bust. Because of their schedule they basically have to be undefeated to make the playoffs. Every team comes out flat at some point so maybe they drop one or two and have to "settle" for a NYD game. It's a stretch but I'm not sure how any other team in the conference can be a bust.

Big 10: Iowa. Ferentz got a raise last year so the odds say they lay an egg. QB and DE are salty so they may do good but this team seems to over perform when their HC is on the hot seat and underperform when they are expected to be good.

Big 12: TCU. I want to go with Oklahoma for the same reason as Clemson but I don't think Hurts going 11-2 with Rattler in the wings and an improving defense is a disappointment. And they aren't going 7-5 so their fanbase is in as good a spot as you can get regardless of their final standing. TCU took a step back last year and saw the best QB on their roster relocate to Mizzou. I think they stay at home this bowl season.

Pac 12: Utah. I'm just spitballing here. They are a consensus Pac 12 south champion pick and a dark horse playoff team. They aren't used to being in the spotlight so if they go 9-3 and finish 2nd in the conference it will be seen as a missed opportunity

SEC: Texas A&M. Don't know how it happens but they mess it up. Two years from now the Jimbo buyout will be legendary.
Maybe I missed something but when did Iowa, TCU, and aTm get enough hype to have potential to be busts?

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I missed something but when did Iowa, TCU, and aTm get enough hype to have potential to be busts?

I didn't want to go all chalk on this. I've seen TCU as a darkhorse Big 12 championship game contender and to go with Texas or OU here just looks like bitching. The Big 10 East is a giant question mark but Iowa is in the mix there. As far as Texas A&M they always seem to underperform and after the mess Jimbo left at Florida State I wonder if he still has it.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't want to go all chalk on this. I've seen TCU as a darkhorse Big 12 championship game contender and to go with Texas or OU here just looks like bitching. The Big 10 West is a giant question mark but Iowa is in the mix there. As far as Texas A&M they always seem to underperform and after the mess Jimbo left at Florida State I wonder if he still has it.
FIFY

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ACC: Virginia Tech
Big Ten: Nebraska
Big 12: Texas
SEC: Texas A&M
PAC 12: Stanford

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Michigan still loses again to THE?

Is THE just that good or is Michigan a school that cannot get it together to win the big games?

I think so, yeah. They simply can’t beat them and need to prove it first. I think Vegas has Michigan favored by like 4 in this year’s game. No way man. I’d be taking the points and the money line on that one.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

TCU is a tricky one. They are supposed to be somewhat down again in 2019 but Patterson has fielded some damn good teams over the years. He can’t be counted out. A&M should start just outside the top 10 and Iowa just outside the top 15 or so. I’d say there’s bust potential there when you start off that highly ranked.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big 12: Texas - Texas is not entirely back, would be fun to see them back as it would rustle the jimmies of almost everyone on this board. They have a lot more to replace on their defense than folks realize, they face a tough schedule and their offense currently doesn't have any big play capability. They still have a solid season but end up behind Oklahoma State, Iowa State and of course Oklahoma in the Big 12 standings.

This is WHY THIS MUST HAPPEN

Oh my goodness, it would be epic :yes:

I agree, I really hope I'm wrong and you guys make the playoff

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TCU is a tricky one. They are supposed to be somewhat down again in 2019 but Patterson has fielded some damn good teams over the years. He can’t be counted out. A&M should start just outside the top 10 and Iowa just outside the top 15 or so. I’d say there’s bust potential there when you start off that highly ranked.

TCU hasn't shown up in any ranking I've seen, I'm not sure if you can consider them a bust candidate. Before anyone mentions Virginia Tech being in mine... NCAA.com releases college football preseason Top 25

They count LOL, please don't make me pick another ACC team

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TCU hasn't shown up in any ranking I've seen, I'm not sure if you can consider them a bust candidate. Before anyone mentions Virginia Tech being in mine... NCAA.com releases college football preseason Top 25

They count LOL, please don't make me pick another ACC team

The Big 12 is tough in this scenario. You basically have two choices for a bust and it's hard for a fan of any other school in the to name them and come across as objective.