• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Yep another poll : CBS ranks the fanbase:

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm diminishing the accomplishment, but I can sort of see why:

NFL-Map.jpg

Way back when it used to be the same situation for the Redskins. They pretty much ruled the entire South since there were just about no NFL teams from DC all the way down to Florida. You still see some of that from various fans who live in the South nowhere near the DC area.

As time goes by I believe that you see lots of fans - especially kids - who root for NFL teams that are nowhere near their geographic location. They are more inclined to root for teams based on their success or a particular player.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Packers
Steelers
Broncos

Top 3 every time

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe that title belongs to the Redskins
I stand corrected. I thought I had heard that Denver had the longest, but maybe that was just longest in the AFC and I misremembered.

You are correct, though. The Redskins sellout streak began in 1968, two years before Denver's began in 1970. Denver is third behind the Redskins and Packers.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm diminishing the accomplishment, but I can sort of see why:

NFL-Map.jpg

Well if we are going to go here then how about we look at population for the area. They actually made a map to show if the United States was divided up into 50 states with equal population what the map would look like...

140926_CBOX_50EqualPopulation.png.CROP.original-original.png

If you notice for the Broncos to have the same population as most of the East Coast teams it would take about 3-4 states worth of people to equal their area. So your map doesn't mean much when looking at actual population of the area. There is a reason that the NFL is not actively trying to put another team in that area.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if we are going to go here then how about we look at population for the area. They actually made a map to show if the United States was divided up into 50 states with equal population what the map would look like...

140926_CBOX_50EqualPopulation.png.CROP.original-original.png

If you notice for the Broncos to have the same population as most of the East Coast teams it would take about 3-4 states worth of people to equal their area. So your map doesn't mean much when looking at actual population of the area. There is a reason that the NFL is not actively trying to put another team in that area.

What's the population of Denver alone versus Baltimore? Can we throw in Colorado Springs or do they hate the Broncos in Colorado Springs?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the population of Denver alone versus Baltimore? Can we throw in Colorado Springs or do they hate the Broncos in Colorado Springs?

See this isn't a great argument though. There are plenty of big cities all around Baltimore that yeah some of them pull towards other teams but there is still a higher population density in the area. They can pull from plenty of places. WE are talking millions upon millions of people all within a 200 mile radius.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See this isn't a great argument though. There are plenty of big cities all around Baltimore that yeah some of them pull towards other teams but there is still a higher population density in the area. They can pull from plenty of places. WE are talking millions upon millions of people all within a 200 mile radius.

I'm sorry...are you talking about cities such as DC and Philly???

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

List of Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually Denver & Baltimore have about the same population (@ 650,000) if you are only counting the actual cities. The more important numbers will be for the surrounding metro areas. In this respect (see attached) the Denver area is not too high on the list (as alluded to in a previous reply). There are many other metro areas with larger population bases & all but one have NFL teams in the area.

Baltimore is a little below Denver in this respect. However - that is a little misleading since they can also draw off other areas like DC especially when the Ravens are doing well.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm talking about 10's of millions of people all in a small area. I have acknowledged that some of those cities have teams and probably have fans that cheer mostly for those teams but that doesn't mean their entire population cheers for that team. And there are plenty of other decent size cities in the area that Baltimore can pull from that don't have a team. Again when we are looking at just population size I don't think there is this vast difference that you are trying to lend towards with your argument.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cmon man - you are not making the best of arguments. A solid fanbase (in terms of attendance) is based on many factors beyond the population of a given area & proximity to other teams. This includes tradition, weather, competing entertainment & number of transplants in the area. If population were the driving factor then LA should have 3-4 teams at this time (if the Rams don't do well they will be lucky to sustain one over the long haul). It just doesn't work that way. The loyalty and numbers for the Broncos fanbase are impressive - period.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm talking about 10's of millions of people all in a small area. I have acknowledged that some of those cities have teams and probably have fans that cheer mostly for those teams but that doesn't mean their entire population cheers for that team. And there are plenty of other decent size cities in the area that Baltimore can pull from that don't have a team. Again when we are looking at just population size I don't think there is this vast difference that you are trying to lend towards with your argument.

What decent sized cities that don't have a football team can Baltimore pull from?

Not going to lie...this argument is making me want to pound my head against a wall a little bit.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cmon man - you are not making the best of arguments. A solid fanbase (in terms of attendance) is based on many factors beyond the population of a given area & proximity to other teams. This includes tradition, weather, competing entertainment & number of transplants in the area. If population were the driving factor then LA should have 3-4 teams at this time (if the Rams don't do well they will be lucky to sustain one over the long haul). It just doesn't work that way. The loyalty and numbers for the Broncos fanbase are impressive - period.

Just so I know where you are coming from. Is it easier for the Broncos to pull fans from Colorado Springs or is it easier for the Ravens to pull fans from DC?

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let me also be clear that I originally said I wasn't diminishing the accomplishment. It's just common sense that the Denver Broncos are the only game in town for many, many people. Saying that the eastern seaboard has a denser population while ignoring all the other NFL teams on the eastern seaboard is just plain ridiculous.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What decent sized cities that don't have a football team can Baltimore pull from?

Not going to lie...this argument is making me want to pound my head against a wall a little bit.

Hey I have the same feeling. You seem to just keep switching arguments to try and make your argument. AT first it was that no team is close to the Broncos so it is easy to get the numbers. Then when population of the area was shown to not be that high it switched to well East Coast teams have more teams so they pull away making it less people for the team to have as fans. When something like 70% of the population in the United States is on the East Coast yeah you guys should have more teams.

And how about we just look at State then. Maryland has a higher population within their state than that of Colorado. Throw in the size of the state makes it much easier for fans to actually make it to the game and back home no problem.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually I did too. Met a couple on vacation from Wisconsin, on game day they were all decked out in Packers gear in Jamaica. Good people.
You sure it wasn't these guys in the Green and Yellow:

20140119112110-1382309_10151725472369895_2111706085_n.jpg

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey I have the same feeling. You seem to just keep switching arguments to try and make your argument. AT first it was that no team is close to the Broncos so it is easy to get the numbers. Then when population of the area was shown to not be that high it switched to well East Coast teams have more teams so they pull away making it less people for the team to have as fans. When something like 70% of the population in the United States is on the East Coast yeah you guys should have more teams.

And how about we just look at State then. Maryland has a higher population within their state than that of Colorado. Throw in the size of the state makes it much easier for fans to actually make it to the game and back home no problem.

My argument has never switched to other NFL franchises being close in proximity. That's not an argument. That's just common sense. Maryland has another football team that plays in it. Why do you only consider that as being a trivial factor?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My argument has never switched to other NFL franchises being close in proximity. That's not an argument. That's just common sense. Maryland has another football team that plays in it. Why do you only consider that as being a trivial factor?

I guess I missed the point of your map then that you posted...Maybe I should have you explain that first because it might clean up this confusion.