• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Yankees at Mariners: Tue, June 10 - Thu, June 12

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why Lloyd let Kuma start the inning. He was already over 100 pitches and never goes over that.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God Damnit. Very little about baseball gets me more pissed than being beaten on an 0-2 pitch to give up the lead after your team just tied it.

0-2 Furbush, bury a fucking slider!

That was flipping BRUTAL!

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time for a walkoff!

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God Damnit. Very little about baseball gets me more pissed than being beaten on an 0-2 pitch to give up the lead after your team just tied it.

0-2 Furbush, bury a fucking slider!

I couldn't be more frustrated with that pitch. 0-2, don't challenge a hitter. Fuck

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
very tough loss. I'm an M's fan so my pessamistic side is coming out. I have a feeling this team is in for a losing streak. Hope I'm wrong.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buck for Miller? Really Lloyd? Not Smoak?

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, not a fan of Buck off the bench
I could see it if the pitcher was a lefty, but it was a right on right matchup. Put Smoak in there and tell him to look for a hanger, since everyone should know he's not getting a fastball to hit in that situation.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to blame the offense as they are squaring the ball up nicely but hitting it right at people.

that's called hitting right into the shift.

it's not admirable, nor is it a simple case of bad luck.

shifting is about predictability, and the reason the m's always seem to hit it "right at" people is because that's where they statistically hit the ball the most.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see it if the pitcher was a lefty, but it was a right on right matchup. Put Smoak in there and tell him to look for a hanger, since everyone should know he's not getting a fastball to hit in that situation.

Just my opinion, but Smoak would've done the same damn thing. Strike three.... I would've rather seen Miller stay out there.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

shifting is about predictability, and the reason the m's always seem to hit it "right at" people is because that's where they statistically hit the ball the most.
He's not talking about hitting into shifts. He's talking about making solid contact, hitting line drives, and having them find the glove instead of grass. Sometimes that actually is bad luck, and we're not talking about always, we're talking about tonight.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just my opinion, but Smoak would've done the same damn thing. Strike three.... I would've rather seen Miller stay out there.
Yeah, probably, but I have more faith in Smoak running into one for a walkoff HR than Buck in that situation. I also would have been fine with Miller staying in. Another triple like he had the other day ties the game.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:noidea:
Yeah, probably, but I have more faith in Smoak running into one for a walkoff HR than Buck in that situation. I also would have been fine with Miller staying in. Another triple like he had the other day ties the game.

that is true

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not talking about hitting into shifts. He's talking about making solid contact, hitting line drives, and having them find the glove instead of grass....

Hitting line drives consistently and hard right where managers shift fielders to is, by definition, hitting into the shift.

Watch any game nowadays, and you'll see the infield and outfield moving all over the place depending on the batter's spray tendencies, which are extremely narrow depending on if they're primarily push or pull hitters. You just don't see many players who hit foul line to foul line anymore. Shift plays are being used exponentially more and more each year, and it's particularly effective against terrible hitting teams like the M's because they rarely beat the shift.

This cannot be broken down any further.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hitting line drives consistently and hard right where managers shift fielders to is, by definition, hitting into the shift.

Watch any game nowadays, and you'll see the infield and outfield moving all over the place depending on the batter's spray tendencies, which are extremely narrow depending on if they're primarily push or pull hitters. You just don't see many players who hit foul line to foul line anymore. Shift plays are being used exponentially more and more each year, and it's particularly effective against terrible hitting teams like the M's because they rarely beat the shift.

This cannot be broken down any further.
You're so smart, thanks for helping the rest of us peons understand the game of baseball.

Let me help you for a second though. There are different kinds of outs made in this game: Easy outs, like a simple chopper of lazy fly ball, which, while frustrating, are chalked up to good pitching or bad hitting. They happen all the time. There are also outs where the ball is hit on the button and looks like it's about to scream into the gap for a double or clear the fence for a HR. These are more frustrating because hitting baseballs that squarely is a difficult thing to do and often players get good results from doing so.

Nothing we're talking about has anything to do with hitting into the shift. We all know what the shift is and we're not talking about that. We aren't discussing how great every other manager is who doesn't lead the Seattle Mariners because we're the only team that ever gets robbed of well hit balls.

What we're saying is some days the lineup tends to see the pitches better than other days and time them better as to hit the ball harder, which doesn't result in as many of the easy outs I talked about earlier. Instead the balls seem to come off the bat with more authority, which again results in good things often, though on days like today, happen to result in outs by quality defensive plays. The combination of consistent solid contact, with usual positive results, along with good plays creating outs on that contact, makes for frustration.

Did this ridiculous rambling do anything to show you that you don't have to try to be the smartest person in the room at all times?

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was talking about Seagar hitting the ball hard to right and getting robbed by ichiro or Saunders hitting a tee shot to the deepest part of the park and Ellsbury lept at the wall and snagged it. Cano and Ackley also had hard liners into the outfield that were run down. Those had nothing to do with the shift it was bad luck. But since you claim not to watch the games I'm not surprised you just assume the worst and that it's due to the M's being inept. Your consistent I'll give you that.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great plays are great plays and there isn't much you can do about them except tip your hat to the guys that make them.

As far as all the Yankees fans being in the crowd goes... it's disappointing but not a big surprise. My guess is that, with this being Jeter's last trip to Seattle as a player, Yankees fans in the area and around the country pounced on these tickets as soon as they were made available, which was probably well before it looked like the Mariners were going to be any good this year. If we were starting the homestand against any other team under any other circumstances and the M's were coming in hot like they were last night, there might not have been as many people in the stadium, but at least most of the people that were there would have been M's fans. It's probably going to feel like a Yankee home game for the next two days as well, but if the M's remain hot after that, the crowds should get bigger and be decidedly pro-M's.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's probably going to feel like a Yankee home game for the next two days as well, but if the M's remain hot after that, the crowds should get bigger and be decidedly pro-M's.

It will never feel like a Yankees home game because if it did we would be able to put runs on the board, Robbie would hit home runs, and Felix would never lose. I would say baseball is probably the least affected sport when it comes to crowds and home field advantage, so they can fill it up all they want and it still won't affect the games outcome.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to be hard to find a way to win this series after that loss, but once again we blow a chance to win a game we should win at home after another impressive road trip.

Has any team in history finished above .500 on the road and below .500 at home for a whole season? I know this isn't the first time this team has had more success on the road, but it is really getting to be something quite odd this far into the season.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to be hard to find a way to win this series after that loss, but once again we blow a chance to win a game we should win at home after another impressive road trip.

Has any team in history finished above .500 on the road and below .500 at home for a whole season? I know this isn't the first time this team has had more success on the road, but it is really getting to be something quite odd this far into the season.

I can't imagine it happens to often. The Dodgers are actually more extreme then the m's currently. They are 13-19 at home and 22-12 on the road.