• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WS observations

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mets were pretenders, winners of a division that was the equivalent of the St. Louis Browns in 1944.
Aside from having three or four really great starters, these guys were the Reds ... just in a division against 4 teams that couldn't beat anybody.

KC meanwhile, exhibited the perfect way to play small-ball. Make the other team beat itself.

Bullpens are more important than starters in a 6-or-7 game series.

Anybody who wants Cespedes is going to pay for way too much bad baseball.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, Mets have some good starting pitchers. But the were beaten in every part of the game. Hitting, pitching starting and bullpen, defense, out coached,and they were out hustled. Of course Mets writers and fans are saying that they beat themselves. Good teams don't beat themselves, and take advantage of mistakes. I also believe the Mets inexperience hurt them to.
KC had what you need to win, a well rounded team, good in every aspect of the game. And Cueto and Volquez of course. you have to have those ex Reds to win. LOL

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was dearly hoping that the series had gone to 6 games to let Cueto pitch the clincher and grin all the way to St. Louis, which had to be hating every single minute of that series -- all the way back to 1985. Having Cueto pitch a gem was almost enough. I wanted him to pitch the clincher. Sucks about game 5.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mets lost 4 games, won only 1. In the 4 losses, they scored 10 runs and made 5 errors. THAT is why they lost.

Those great young Mets starting pitchers didn't override that, did they ?

It wasn't bringing Harvey back out in the 8th in game 5 that lost the Series, in spite of what the media has been spinning.

What the Royals did is hard to do. Teams spending twice that much usually don't make it- ask the Dodgers...and Bluejays...and a dozen other teams.

The Royals were a suprise in 2014, kept or improved what they had, and won it all in 2015. The Mets stand to lose a few key players to free agency they won't replace next year. If it wasn't for Dusty being in the first of a 2 year contract, I'd pick the Nats next year in the NLE... probably still will, just expect Dusty to mismanage into an early exit...Mets have great young pitching...if it's healthy. To be honest, I don't think the Mets rotation is any better than the Nats on paper. The Mets problem is they have an iffy defense and bullpen, and very little offense. I'd take the Astros offense over the Mets, all day. I don't see much of that changing unless the Mets add more than they subtract from the lineup this winter. Do they sign a Juston Upton, and use a farmhand at 2b, or use/sign other players that may be less than Cespedes and Murphy, as example ? It's a crapshoot.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mets demise was due to a myriad of factors, but a few things stood out for me. They were out scored 14-1 after the 6th inning and loss three games they were leading late. A team with a offense that doesn't add to it's early lead and has a bullpen that can't hold it is almost never the team drinking champagne in the locker room.

I think the Royals are a great example of a GM that executed a plan that was set in place nearly ten years ago rewarding the patience of ownership.

On the flip side the Reds ownership has stuck with it's baseball operation staff's plan for nearly a decade and they are right back where they started from minus the reward.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worst W.S. since the Earthquake series, which at least had an earthquake.