• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WOW!!! Kyle Allen will be starting vs Rams. Let the board melee begin...

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here’s the article...from Alan Lenore
Pretty good read

In what seems like a never-ending cycle of starting quarterback dysfunction, we get to continue the carousel here in D.C.

On Wednesday, head coach Ron Rivera, in head scratching fashion, benched starting quarterback Dwayne Haskins in favor of back-up Kyle Allen. Rivera even went as far as demoting the young quarterback to third on the depth chart making him essentially inactive for the foreseeable future.

It comes at a time when Washington is a half of a game behind the Philadelphia Eagles. Haskins also bounced back performance against the Baltimore Ravens where he threw for over 300 yards.

So why bench Haskins now?

Rivera says that it’s in the best short-term interest of the team with how the division has shook out. Ron is straying away from what he was being so adamant about throughout the offseason and training camp. This is a year for development and growth. He did not sound like he was going to chase after cheap wins or let the outside noise effect the process he was putting in place.

But here we are. The 30th quarterback to start a game for Washington since 1993. And they are heading into one of their more important stretches of the season on a hope and a whim with a quarterback who is turnover prone. I could easily eat these words if Allen performs. But if it’s anything like last year, we are in for a rough ride. One that Rivera could have ridden out with his young quarterback.

And with that cheery picture, here are my 5 keys to a Washington Football win against the Los Angeles Rams:

Game and Clock Management Foundation: This issue is up there with the most mind-boggling thing we have seen through the first four games. I also can’t keep picking on safeties Troy Apke and Landon Collins every week. It can get stale for me as a writer and I’m sure for you as a reader.

First it was head coach Ron Rivera not wanting to risk his starters getting hurt in Arizona and Cleveland. So, he ran a couple of plays with his starters on the field to let the time run out. Wouldn’t you just kneel the ball down or pull your starters if you are that worried about injuries?

Next, it was poor communication between the coaching staff and Haskins running into the 2-minute warning against the Baltimore Ravens. Haskins was looking to run a play with 6 seconds left instead of calling a time out with just under 20 seconds left in the half. That prevented Washington from taking a shot at the endzone. Instead they wound up with Dustin Hopkins kicking a field goal. Did the coaching staff not run through this with Dwayne? Or why did Ron let the clock run down so far before catching the error?

Opportunities in the 2-minute window will present themselves against the Rams. Ron will have to follow his word now 4 games into the season that he is in it to win it and not just to develop. If so, Washington could put quick points up on the board and force a momentum shift like they saw against the Philadelphia Eagles.

Kyle Allen Can’t Be Kyle Allen: New starting quarterback Kyle Allen started off on a hot streak early in his starting tenure last year in Carolina. But once teams got film on him, he started in a tailspin of turning the ball over. Allen also became acquainted with Washington defensive line, so much so, that he likely had a better relationship with them heading into camp then his new receivers.

Washington cannot afford to have the Kyle Allen that forced throws into windows that weren’t there. They cannot afford a Kyle Allen who ranked at the bottom of the league in advanced passing statistics and analytics.

They will need the dink and dunk, Check Down Charlie, quarterback that Washington Football Fans hate to see. You know, the same type of quarterback we saw Haskins be when he was extremely efficient against the Baltimore Ravens.

Allen will need to reinvigorate that first four game identity of himself for Washington to keep up on the score board. If he throws more then a couple of interceptions, Washington could not only be in line for a worse loss then to Cleveland.

Protect Against Play Action: Common sense in 90’s football says for the running game to be established to open up play action and the passing attack. Not in today’s NFL. Today you are starting to see more coaches use the pass and play action to open up the run.

Sean McVay has mastered this since being in Washington.

It is what allows wide receivers Cooper Kupp and Robert Woods to use double moves or find holes when they run slant routes against a zone defense.

The defensive back group will need to be extremely disciplined and take away the effects of play action to force an major in game adjustment that plays against quarterback Jared Goff’s strength.

Free Antonio Gibson: Prior to the beginning of the season in my WFT fantasy football preview, I had recommended that you take a flier on rookie running back Antonio Gibson. This was because he had the potential to breakout as the number one back this year. Well, it has started to happen even earlier than I anticipated.

Through the first quarter of the season, Gibson has 44 carries and has been targeted 12 times in the passing game. Antonio is third on the team in targets behind receiver Terry McLaurin (39) and tight end Logan Thomas (28).

Gibson is clearly the second-best offensive playmaker on Washington’s roster behind McLaurin. Antonio showed a glimpse of that in the passing game when he caught and ran 50 yards on a screen pass. Scott Turner can use him in a variety of ways in motion, out of the back field, put him in the slot.

Averaging the potential of 14 touches a game is not going to cut it against Los Angeles and their pass rush. Gibson will need to see at least 5 targets in the passing game while using him more on draws up the middle.

Letting Gibson free not only frees up the rest of the offense, but if gives Washington the best chance at winning on Sunday.

Tight End Double Trouble: Death, taxes, and start opposing tight ends against Washington in fantasy football.

The Los Angeles Rams have two effective tight ends on their roster in Tyler Higbee and Gerald Everett. And McVay likes to use them. Sean likes to use the 2 tight ends in multiple formations. He will send one in motion while sending the other on a post or crossing pattern. McVay has also is willing to use Everett on a jet sweep if he’s feeling feisty.

Guarding tight ends has been an issue for Washington this year. 21 catches, 239 yards, and 5 touchdowns. Washington has been able to curb some of the damage done by inserting rookie Kamren Curl as an additional slot corner. But he is only one player that can cover so much ground.

If the defense can find a way to shutdown the tight ends, Los Angeles’ offense could stall keeping the score low enough for a defensive inspired win.

Game Prediction: I’ll come right and say what I said on Washington Football Today with Mike Callow on Wednesday night. I had Washington winning this game with Dwayne Haskins under center. But, with Kyle Allen as the call signal I am extremely hesitant to do so.

Offensive coordinator Scott Turner said during his press conference that with Allen behind center, it does not necessarily open up the playbook more. They just have a quarterback who can process things a little quicker. So, we will see the same thing play structure wise then we would have with Dwayne. The difference? Kyle Allen is turnover prone.

Aaron Donald and the Los Angeles Rams defense feeds on quarterback pressures and creating turnovers. Something that Washington has proven they cannot overcome.

As Kurt Russell says while the movie Miracle while portraying legendary head coach Herb Brooks, “You think you can win on talent alone? Gentlemen, YOU DON’T HAVE ENOUGH TALENT TO WIN ON TALENT ALONE!” And that is what has been translated from Ron’s press conference too. “We are what we are.” They are a bottom of the league offense with a defense that is looking mediocre because of terrible secondary and linebacker play. They are a 1-3 team.

Washington doesn’t have enough talent to keep up and goes on a 4-game losing streak.

Los Angeles 27 Washington 14

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its common sense why he made the change.
Sure. Cuz that’s a ‘common sense’ move to validate your raw QB and say you’ve got his back and less than 1 week later the organization leaks yet another ‘Sun pre game soundbite’... DH might be benched..

Sounds like what all excellent, credible, stable franchises do... fire in public, when they can’t be man enuff to have conversations like this in private.

Hope you don’t run your own business affairs this way. Sheesh. Smdh

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it’s pretty par for the course with these young guys. But likely this is just the tip of the iceberg as to what was being seen behind the scenes.
and if it is , then snyder insisted on a bust and the franchise is looking for the elusive star QB . but what i dont like is all of this should have been known earlier on and if TATT was the better qb then he should have been the starter so we could get a full 16 games of TATT . now it means we need to draft a qb , when we should have been drafting a star LT like sewell or weatherford or maybe a big play wr in waddle and now we have to go back and fix something we should have fixed last season

so lets hope that TATT makes the jump and can become the franchise qb so we can keep moving forward

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and if it is , then snyder insisted on a bust and the franchise is looking for the elusive star QB . but what i dont like is all of this should have been known earlier on and if TATT was the better qb then he should have been the starter so we could get a full 16 games of TATT . now it means we need to draft a qb , when we should have been drafting a star LT like sewell or weatherford or maybe a big play wr in waddle and now we have to go back and fix something we should have fixed last season

so lets hope that TATT makes the jump and can become the franchise qb so we can keep moving forward
It begs a ton of questions no doubt. Smells of a Danny Boy quid pro quo from RR before the season began.

Skins2021deux

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a good exercise

Think back to Haskins first preseason snap up until benching. How many wow plays can you count??? Honestly I can’t even think of one but for the purpose of this exercise I’ll liberally say you can count then on 1 hand

I owe Jason Campbell an apology. Haskins may be out of league in 2-3 years ala Akili Smith

For the record I think the benching was short sighted. Haskins puts you in position to draft Trevor Lawrence while saving face ... win/win

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its common sense why he made the change. You just didn't see that. The players love RR for this move b/c it wasnt an owners move it was a coaches move.

Its non-sensical or all the talk by RR since becoming the Skins HC was really just bullshit. I would agree with the part about it being a move made by RR. I think the player love will take a little more time to call one way or the other.

Both safeties have played like hot dog shit. As has the OL. Is common sense calling for their benchings as well?

Skins2021deux

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its non-sensical or all the talk by RR since becoming the Skins HC was really just bullshit. I would agree with the part about it being a move made by RR. I think the player love will take a little more time to call one way or the other.

Both safeties have played like hot dog shit. As has the OL. Is common sense calling for their benchings as well?

are the safeties and oline man wearing a C??

It’s crazy ppl are siding with a horrifically overmatched qb over the first year head coach with a decent track record

also let’s stop pretending like we all know what goes on behind scenes too... there isn’t a single endearing thing regarding Haskins as skins qb other then him being a local guy

Skins2021deux

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say im very proud of this board. I have yet to see the horrifically stupid narrative that has popped up a bit on twitter regarding Haskins, Daniel Jones, josh Allen, and Darnold

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say im very proud of this board. I have yet to see the horrifically stupid narrative that has popped up a bit on twitter regarding Haskins, Daniel Jones, josh Allen, and Darnold
I don’t know what to tell ya. DH is pretty obviously done in DC.

Leaks will come out as to why over the next few weeks. I’ll post them here for laughs. RR proved that DH was not his guy by benching him after 4 games, after endorsing the dude all season. Then all of a sudden less than a week later...news story leaks, short hook comments, not fair to the other guys. Pretty obvious RR was hamstrung and saw a perfect exit ramp with the weak ass division.

Good luck to ur Eagles for being in first place.

I just wanna move past another stupid likely quid pro quid with Danny Boy, insisting RR start DH. We have wasted 4 games on a guy who was apparently way too raw to start this year.

Skins2021deux

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully Snyder stays out of it since he obviously struggles evaluating talent and with personnel.... he already dug a hole by forcing a pick like Haskins onto them... kudos to RR for having a short hook though a different approach could have been better from an outside perspective

Or does RR run the risk of losing his team by continuing to start Haskins? Build around Chase and Mclaurin

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
are the safeties and oline man wearing a C??

It’s crazy ppl are siding with a horrifically overmatched qb over the first year head coach with a decent track record

also let’s stop pretending like we all know what goes on behind scenes too... there isn’t a single endearing thing regarding Haskins as skins qb other then him being a local guy
What difference does the "C" make?.

There have been better HCs, HOF HCs, with much better track records, multiple Super Bowl winning track records, that have made huge blunders as Skins HC/GM. Why should RR get a soft touch treatment. His rationale for benching Haskins was/is short-sighted imo. What exactly is playing to win the NFC East this year going to accomplish? Getting an ass whipping in the 1st rd of the playoffs is my best guess. A less desirable draft pick position would be another pretty solid guess imo as well.

And if we're gonna stop pretending. It's not by mistake your monkey ass was absent from the board when RR was in "Developing Haskins for the future" mode I'm guessing. Now you got RR's back all over sudden eh.

And if I seem to recall. There wasn't a poster on this board that as critical of the local press as you were. Everything they wrote was bullshit according to your deep insight on the subject. Now you wanna hold off on speculation about behind the scenes shit. Giving the press the benefit of the doubt.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you even hint at politics in a post here it will be deleted . If you have questions refer to the board rules . If you don’t like how they were enforced before tough shit . Live with it

Harassing the moderator will not work and I will shut you down innocent good posts or not I don’t care . I am not playing with you

End your hissy fit or you will be gone no matter how many name changes you come up with because no one will see your posts or threads

Last chance because any snide comments or anything that hints at getting under my skin and I will shut you down

The person whom this is intended for knows whom I am directing this at

Skins2021deux

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What difference does the "C" make?.

There have been better HCs, HOF HCs, with much better track records, multiple Super Bowl winning track records, that have made huge blunders as Skins HC/GM. Why should RR get a soft touch treatment. His rationale for benching Haskins was/is short-sighted imo. What exactly is playing to win the NFC East this year going to accomplish? Getting an ass whipping in the 1st rd of the playoffs is my best guess. A less desirable draft pick position would be another pretty solid guess imo as well.

And if we're gonna stop pretending. It's not by mistake your monkey ass was absent from the board when RR was in "Developing Haskins for the future" mode I'm guessing. Now you got RR's back all over sudden eh.

And if I seem to recall. There wasn't a poster on this board that as critical of the local press as you were. Everything they wrote was bullshit according to your deep insight on the subject. Now you wanna hold off on speculation about behind the scenes shit. Giving the press the benefit of the doubt.
You are partially correct in your assertion...

i am/was very very very critical of press and understandably so BUT I was one of the first people to congratulate you guys regarding RR signing. I think he’s a good coach

I also think the press is going to lighten up on the crusade against skins bc they bowed down to the SJW initiatives

i also am/was very critical of Haskins pick... I was first and I was correct

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well hopefully Tim works out

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure. Cuz that’s a ‘common sense’ move to validate your raw QB and say you’ve got his back and less than 1 week later the organization leaks yet another ‘Sun pre game soundbite’... DH might be benched..

Sounds like what all excellent, credible, stable franchises do... fire in public, when they can’t be man enuff to have conversations like this in private.

Hope you don’t run your own business affairs this way. Sheesh. Smdh

Its common sense to know that DH wasn't playing well.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would bench Apke and Martin in a heartbeat. I cant see how Martin beat out #71 in camp. IMO the players wanted DH benched too.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its common sense to know that DH wasn't playing well.
Against Cleveland yes. Other than that game, ti was very typical play for a rookie QB who had limited games in college.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearly something happened behind the scene for Rivera to give up on Haskins so quickly. Don't know if it was something that DH did, or didn't do, but this makes no sense so early. Unless Ron has seen enough and has determined that DH is no where close to being an NFL QB.

Oh well, once again we are in the hunt for a QB next year. Damn, this gets old.