• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would you rather have Mike Trout with current contract or the first overall pick in next 5 drafts?

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't consider fostering an interest in the game at a young age playing baseball? Do you have to play for a D1 to be considered a baseball player?
Anyway, I was just saying that I did indeed play baseball, which is besides the point since I affirm that you don't need to play the game to understand it. What do you think of Bill James? He sure wasn't playing any college baseball
What I think Omar, is that I got off on the wrong foot with you because of your war of words with my friend Nos. He has been a baseball fan for twice as long as you have been alive. I have coached for longer than you have been alive. Maybe you are some baseball savant that is just far ahead of your time.......I don't know....but just because you can read an advance stat line doesn't make you unique.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I think Omar, is that I got off on the wrong foot with you because of your war of words with my friend Nos. He has been a baseball fan for twice as long as you have been alive. I have coached for longer than you have been alive. Maybe you are some baseball savant that is just far ahead of your time.......I don't know....but just because you can read an advance stat line doesn't make you unique.
Actually, front offices are now paying millions of dollars for people who do what I attempt to do in an attempt to win a championship- which would bring in more revenue for the team. I am just an amateur at this. There are people far better at me in this who do the same type of things I attempt, which is why they are making hundreds of thousands of dollars a year while I'm arguing with old-school thinkers like you on a third-tier message board

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too many stats and numbers in there for me. Keep it simple. Trout is great and a 5+ tool player if you can possibly have more than 5.

But if you just hit on 2 stud pitchers, you've got a hella rotation for years. Hit on a SS? OF too?

By now, we've seen what wins world series. It's pitching and timely hitting.

And don't bark at Albert Pujols and put him in the same convo as CJ and Josh Ham dammit. :gaah: At least AP hit 40 HRs last year with Aybar hitting behind him. Guy needs some help too. But if the Angels had some pitching, look out. Weaver could barely throw 85 last year.

The good thing is those crazy angel contracts are like Minnesota giving $10-12 million contracts.

Hey, come on man, lolzzz

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, front offices are now paying millions of dollars for people who do what I attempt to do in an attempt to win a championship- which would bring in more revenue for the team. I am just an amateur at this. There are people far better at me in this who do the same type of things I attempt, which is why they are making hundreds of thousands of dollars a year while I'm arguing with old-school thinkers like you on a third-tier message board
Every one of those analytics making millions...work with a staff of hundreds of old school baseball guys. That's your problem .You haven't lived long enough to have more real world experience than others, so you try to make your knowledge of advanced stats mean more than the real thing .Analytics are a tool Son, not an end all. I'm glad you love the game, it's the best game ever. And the reason I know you don't know it all...I know guys twice my age, involved in pro ball for 50 years, and to a man, they say they learn something every day .Stick with it, you might be the next Theo Epstein, who knows?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every one of those analytics making millions...work with a staff of hundreds of old school baseball guys. That's your problem .You haven't lived long enough to have more real world experience than others, so you try to make your knowledge of advanced stats mean more than the real thing .Analytics are a tool Son, not an end all. I'm glad you love the game, it's the best game ever. And the reason I know you don't know it all...I know guys twice my age, involved in pro ball for 50 years, and to a man, they say they learn something every day .Stick with it, you might be the next Theo Epstein, who knows?
Don't patronize me because you're a grumbling old man who can't adjust to the reality of the game. I never claimed analytics are an end-all, not even close. I strike a balance between the two (not to be confused with an equal balance). You just completely ignore analytics because you haven't taken the time to learn about them or their usefulness.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here is the problem though, you kind of have to create your own stats so you can weigh what you believe is more important... the problem i have with many advanced stats is that i don't agree with, so if you want to be paid the big bucks you first have to prove that your values fit the teams values before you can even talk about the advanced stats...

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't patronize me because you're a grumbling old man who can't adjust to the reality of the game. I never claimed analytics are an end-all, not even close. I strike a balance between the two (not to be confused with an equal balance). You just completely ignore analytics because you haven't taken the time to learn about them or their usefulness.
Lol, I'm 47 Son, and when you grow up you'll understand that's far from old . As far as "adjusting to the game", I know as much as you do(probably a great deal more than you) about those advanced stats you cherish. I also know the game itself, which you don't, which is why you're so butt hurt .I had you pegged from jump .A kid on his XBox, and without question, have forgotten more than you know JV

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watch film of ARod at 20. Watch film of Correa .Break down their mechanics. Tell us whether their swings are linear or rotational, I'm sure you can do that....(Omar searching for baseball encyclopedia...)

But if we have actual results that tell us that one has performed significantly better than the other at the same ages in their professional careers, what would watching film tell us that could materially change the above results?

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if we have actual results that tell us that one has performed significantly better than the other at the same ages in their professional careers, what would watching film tell us that could materially change the above results?
Hey, stats are fine, pull up Correa's first 432 AB's(all he's had) and match them against ARod's first 432 AB's....not his first 800 or 1500, both of their 1st 432 . I don't have time now, but if you can't find it, I will post it later . ARod had like 200 or so going into his 3rd season, so those two plus his 1st 230 or so of that season. 432 vs 432, I already have a pretty good idea, can't wait for you to post the results

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, stats are fine, pull up Correa's first 432 AB's(all he's had) and match them against ARod's first 432 AB's....not his first 800 or 1500, both of their 1st 432 . I don't have time now, but if you can't find it, I will post it later . ARod had like 200 or so going into his 3rd season, so those two plus his 1st 230 or so of that season. 432 vs 432, I already have a pretty good idea, can't wait for you to post the results

Then again, A-Rod was 18-19 while having a lot of those at bats while Correa was busy working on his game in the minors. Not exactly a fair comparison for A-Rod considering Correa had considerably more time in the minors, no?

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then again, A-Rod was 18-19 while having a lot of those at bats while Correa was busy working on his game in the minors. Not exactly a fair comparison for A-Rod considering Correa had considerably more time in the minors, no?
Can't blame that on Correa though, as I'm sure you know, the best young players are often held back when they are ready, case in point, Kris Bryant .My guess is Correa could have matched the paltry numbers ARod put up at 18-19 for 200 AB's.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't blame that on Correa though, as I'm sure you know, the best young players are often held back when they are ready, case in point, Kris Bryant .My guess is Correa could have matched the paltry numbers ARod put up at 18-19 for 200 AB's.
You do know the perils of projecting a player to be a top 3 player at his position of ALL TIME after ~400 PA's, right?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the problem though, you kind of have to create your own stats so you can weigh what you believe is more important... the problem i have with many advanced stats is that i don't agree with, so if you want to be paid the big bucks you first have to prove that your values fit the teams values before you can even talk about the advanced stats...
What?

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do know the perils of projecting a player to be a top 3 player at his position of ALL TIME after ~400 PA's, right?
I do know that when that is the comparison drawn by nearly every scout that saw them both at the same age, and when Correa became the best player on his team as a rookie, there's no reason for me to doubt it. He doesn't have to be better than ARod (without the sauce) to be a younger version of the same

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do know that when that is the comparison drawn by nearly every scout that saw them both at the same age, and when Correa became the best player on his team as a rookie, there's no reason for me to doubt it. He doesn't have to be better than ARod (without the sauce) to be a younger version of the same

The comparison is not to Alex Rodriguez the MLB player but Alex Rodriguez the minor league player... Nobody is saying that Correa will become just as good as AROD, but that Correa reminds people of how AROD looked before he became a top player of all time... It does not mean Correa will follow in his footsteps, just that their skills at that point are comparable...

there is a difference, but it is hard to differentiate...

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, because scouts are infallible. Mark Prior, Brien Taylor, Bryan Bullington, Shawn Abner, Billy Beane, Dave Roberts- scouts jizzed all over those guys' tools and they were all just great players, weren't they?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The comparison is not to Alex Rodriguez the MLB player but Alex Rodriguez the minor league player... Nobody is saying that Correa will become just as good as AROD, but that Correa reminds people of how AROD looked before he became a top player of all time... It does not mean Correa will follow in his footsteps, just that their skills at that point are comparable...

there is a difference, but it is hard to differentiate...
The over excessive comp's always make me laugh. I had to put up with 5 years of foreplay hearing Domonic Brown being the next Darryl Strawberry, and look how that worked out. Just because someone plays the same position, and has a similar swing, doesn't mean they will be as good a player (I would have thought that was common sense, but....)

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My point, which i think i was making to something that you never really said, was that anyone can just read advanced stats... the people who make the big bucks don't just read the stats given and say oooh player A has a great ERA+ or anything like that, they will create their own stats using their own values on what your team weighs to be most important...

I am a stat-head too, and i have looked at most advanced stats, i look at the weights they give some things and i disagree...

And there is one thing for sure, there are different skills that have different importance in different spots of the lineup...

For example, the number one spot i think the 4 most important stats are OBP, BB, and SB and SB%... But the middle of the lineup SBs are not as important while HR becomes more important....