• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would You Amnesty Kobe for Paul?

Big Red Slugs

Captain Hook
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Option A:

8100952.jpg

Option B:

84945291_crop_650x440.jpg

Big Red Slugs

Captain Hook
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Chris Paul expressed interest, even the most ardent Kobe fan would have to at least consider how bright the Lakers future would be for a very long time with CP3 and D12 playing together in the ol' Forum Blue and Gold.

The catch, of course, is that Kobe has been adamant that he's opposed to the amnesty discussion completely, probably mostly because of pride. But you have to wonder if the Lakers wouldn't try to convince Kobe to rest and look to 2014-15 for a return, or just say "Screw it" altogether and go for CP3 regardless of Kobe's feelings. This is, of course, if Chris Paul expressed interest.

I'd probably do it, and I'm even one of the delusional few who thinks Kobe could make it back before Christmas. I just think you don't pass on an opportunity like CP3 and D12 in their prime, especially not when you have a ready-made excuse like an uncertain achilles injury to an aging star.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were talking about that bright Lakers future for about the two hours CP3 was a Lakers before Cuban's and Gilbert's panties got bunched up!

Using the amnesty on Kobe does not provide enough cap space for the Lakers to afford CP3, especially once D12 is resigned. It would be awesome to team those two up, but it's just not a realistic scenario. D12 is the only marquee FA that the Lakers can sign this off-season.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I would hate for it to come to that, I believe that it's better to get rid of a player a year too soon than a year too late!!

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Brainer if it was a viable option. However, getting rid of Kobe doesn't create the extra cap space needed to add another max contract. The only way the Heat got the Big 3 to work was because all involved agreed to not take a max.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Brainer if it was a viable option. However, getting rid of Kobe doesn't create the extra cap space needed to add another max contract. The only way the Heat got the Big 3 to work was because all involved agreed to not take a max.

Why mention the Heat? It's not even close to being a comparable situation. The Heat's big 3 didn't sign max contracts, but it's not like they signed for peanuts. With their escalating salaries, Riley will have a more difficult time filling roster spots around them if they end up keeping all 3.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why mention the Heat? It's not even close to being a comparable situation. The Heat's big 3 didn't sign max contracts, but it's not like they signed for peanuts. With their escalating salaries, Riley will have a more difficult time filling roster spots around them if they end up keeping all 3.

I'm no cap or amnesty expert, but I think that all amnestying Kobe would do is give luxury tax relief. I don't believe that it would free up enough cap space to sign 2 players to max deals.

I think that the Lakers would have to jettison some other contracts via trade and cuts. Even at that, I think they would have to convince Dwight and CP3 to basically do what Lebron, Wade and Bosh did and trade some cash for a chance to win a championship.

I think CP3 might be willing to do that (just a feeling), but I'm not sure that Dwight would (also, just a feeling)!!

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Why mention the Heat? It's not even close to being a comparable situation."

How about because of the name of the thread?
The question posed was basically would you take Paul in place of Kobe.
My point was that it is a moot point unless both Howard/Paul would take less then the max in order to play together. It is the ONLY scenario in which it would/could work.

You can say whatever you want about what the Heat Big 3 left on the table as being not alot, but whatever it was, it was enough to accomplish what they were trying to do.

As far as what happens after next season. Who knows, but they have already show the ability to sacrifice in order to play together and I would assume that if they want to continue to play together they will be called upon to do the same type of thing.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I would. CP3 in a Laker uni with D12 is the future. I know Kobe would get it and he would return at the appropriate time because he wants to retire a Laker and teh Lakers will accommodate him as well. Say he goes to Italy to rehab and then returns when ready. If he could play wiuth CP3 AND D12, I think he would do that in a heartbeat.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I would. CP3 in a Laker uni with D12 is the future. I know Kobe would get it and he would return at the appropriate time because he wants to retire a Laker and teh Lakers will accommodate him as well. Say he goes to Italy to rehab and then returns when ready. If he could play wiuth CP3 AND D12, I think he would do that in a heartbeat.

That would be interesting!! While I don't see it happening, it presents a very interesting possible scenario!!

Kobe could take the season off and when he is medically cleared, test his Achilles by doing a little barnstorming with an Italian league team and if he's happy with how it responds, sign a 1 or 2 year contact with the Lakers to go after another ring or 2!!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly TrojanFan12. This scenario has been bantered about most recently by Magic Johnson and Chriss Broussard on one of the play-off pre-games with Wilbon and others. Whether this is reality or speculation remains to be witnessed but you can bet Mitch and the Lakers are thinking along these lines as well.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Riley created cap space prior to that summer. The Lakers, even with amnestying Kobe, have no cap space. CP3 would basically have to sign a veteran's minimum salary to join the Lakers. Big difference compared to leaving a few million on the table like the big 3 did. I suppose CP3 could sign for a one year vet minimum then resign with Lakers in the summer of 2014. Not likely though.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Riley created cap space prior to that summer. The Lakers, even with amnestying Kobe, have no cap space. CP3 would basically have to sign a veteran's minimum salary to join the Lakers. Big difference compared to leaving a few million on the table like the big 3 did. I suppose CP3 could sign for a one year vet minimum then resign with Lakers in the summer of 2014. Not likely though.

While I don't see anything quite that drastic happening, I do think that we may see star players start doing some things that they otherwise wouldn't in order to play where they want to play and have a chance to win championships!!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakersrule and TJ12. The word out of Clipperland is CP3 wants to go. He may sign a one-year deal for the league minimum with the Lakers if he does not have to move except across the hall. TJ12 is correct. Players, especially with these Lakers and those nearby may start doing things they wouldn't normally do to get the chance to play for a championship. With CP3, this may definitely occur. And obtaining CP3 may load up on the carrot list to sway D12 to finally sign.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way Chris Paul takes a veteran minimum contract. You guys are on crack.

Big Red Slugs

Captain Hook
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers, even with amnestying Kobe, have no cap space.

Well, if there's a roughly $60M cap and the Lakers amnesty Kobe plus use Pau Gasol's $19M expiring contract in a sign-and-trade for CP3, then it could work so long as Metta doesn't pick up his $7.7M option.

My understanding is they would have to do it in a certain sequence, i.e. sign Howard last because they can sign him and go over but they can't go over by signing or trading CP3, or any other player, from another team.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to be honest, i'm not seeing that either...

While I don't see it happening either, I assume when retro says that he signs for 1 year at the veterans minimum, there will be a "handshake agreement" that he is re-signed the following year to a much larger contract!!

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I don't see it happening either, I assume when retro says that he signs for 1 year at the veterans minimum, there will be a "handshake agreement" that he is re-signed the following year to a much larger contract!!

well, i can certainly HOPE that happens. hell, it'd be justice for what that fat, wrinkled bastard Stern pulled...