• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would You Amnesty Kobe for Paul?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I don't see it happening either, I assume when retro says that he signs for 1 year at the veterans minimum, there will be a "handshake agreement" that he is re-signed the following year to a much larger contract!!

He could easily make very close to a max contract if not max both years instead, though. While financially I'm sure he could afford it, simply as a matter of pride I severely doubt it. Los Angeles is not the only contender he could make money for.

Big Red Slugs

Captain Hook
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesn't have to sign for the veteran's minimum, that would never happen.

It is feasible to sign both he and Howard to a max deal, as I explained above.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea TJ12 that is a correct assuption but the more likely scenario is what BRS has outlined and it is a definite possibility as teams get closer to the draft.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea TJ12 that is a correct assuption but the more likely scenario is what BRS has outlined and it is a definite possibility as teams get closer to the draft.

Don't why it didn't dawn on me the first time I read it!! Basically, trading Pau for CP3!! Not bad. Helps both teams. Clips get the big that they need and the Lakers get the point guard they need!! That might be do-able!!

Sure would be hard to see Pau in a Clipper uni though!!

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesn't have to sign for the veteran's minimum, that would never happen.

It is feasible to sign both he and Howard to a max deal, as I explained above.

I'm not trying to say it's not possible to get both, just that all this talk of the veteran minimum is nuts.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well TJ12. Pau, Metta, and eventually Kobe are going to be gone just like Derrick Fisher, Odom, Barnes, and many who were on the last championship team. The first three are all on the downside of their careers and they all know it. Kobe is the only one of the three who may legitimately return with a contribution because of his severe competitiveness but father time will eventually knock.

It would be a very good trade to actually re-visit and complete without the meddling of that greasy pile of whale shit, Stern

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well TJ12. Pau, Metta, and eventually Kobe are going to be gone just like Derrick Fisher, Odom, Barnes, and many who were on the last championship team. The first three are all on the downside of their careers and they all know it. Kobe is the only one of the three who may legitimately return with a contribution because of his severe competitiveness but father time will eventually knock.

It would be a very good trade to actually re-visit and complete without the meddling of that greasy pile of whale shit, Stern

I agree and if Paul is signed to right about what Pau makes, it's essentially a salary swap and there would then be no reason to amnesty Kobe!!

Then, after next season, when the other contracts expire, they can get some good, young talent to add to the roster via free agency!!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea that is what I was thinking. It would be very nice if we could unload Nash to Toronto for Lowry and then things would really begin to click.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright BRS, now you have a decent argument for this. NOW I have always said, as a fan the only thing I want besides another Laker title is for Kobe to retire in a Laker uniform. If he comes back as the Kobe who played the most balanced basketball in his career, then he can provide MUCH for us. If you nailed me down on a decision right now, I'd say keep Kobe, let's see what Pau's trade value is, and let's see if we can get a young PG.....but with that said, I said right now, and not for sure. The reason while I'm not sure is I had unbridled joy when we traded for Chris Paul. He would've solved SO many problems for us. Chris Paul and Dwight would be a LETHAL combo, superstars of the highest order. Now for this to happen BRS, we don't only have to amnesty Kobe, but we have to trade Pau for scraps as well. I thought we could just swap Pau as well, but to make the money work we have to do both, I'm not sure how it works but I'll look it up to further understand why. We would have a bright future indeed, but we may or may not have a brighter future, with the FA's hitting the market in 2014 and 15. BRS, I gotta say, this is not an outlandish proposition that you make....but here's why amnestying Kobe will not happen. Jim Buss has been a walking PR disaster with Lakernation and he does not have the unmitigated gall to amnesty the most beloved Laker since Magic Johnson. Right or wrong, I'd say the greater majority of Laker fans falls into the keep Kobe no matter what class. Jerry Buss could probably make this decision, but JIM would catch all sorts of backlash from every which direction if he amnestied Kobe.

Big Red Slugs

Captain Hook
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BRS, I gotta say, this is not an outlandish proposition that you make....but here's why amnestying Kobe will not happen. Jim Buss has been a walking PR disaster with Lakernation and he does not have the unmitigated gall to amnesty the most beloved Laker since Magic Johnson. Right or wrong, I'd say the greater majority of Laker fans falls into the keep Kobe no matter what class. Jerry Buss could probably make this decision, but JIM would catch all sorts of backlash from every which direction if he amnestied Kobe.

I hear ya, Kold. Thing is, I am thoroughly convinced that Jim Buss does not give a flying fuck what the fans want. This is his team. Not the Los Angeles Lakers, it's clearly the Jim Buss Lakers now.

And on the off-chance that Jim Buss cared about even putting up the image that he cares about Los Angeles fans like Jeanie does, I still think there might be some room for convincing Kobe to see the wisdom in getting CP3 if the chance is there, and Kobe taking the year to rehab. It's not a highly likely chance that Kobe would see it that way, but possible, certainly more likely than Jim Buss giving a fuck what you or I want.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My weakness in basketball knowledge is easily in the cap discussions. With that being said, I wonder if the below is possible?

1) Amnesty MWP; clear up nearly 8 million;
2) Trade Gasol for draft picks/cheaper players;
3) Go to Kobe and have him agree to restructrure his contract for the reason of signing Paul.

If we had a trade of 19 million value, amnesty of 8 million value, and Kobe restructures - could we not then sign Paul?

Again, there may be holes in that logic and look forward to finding out if there are.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll tell ya what BRS, here's how this could happen, even though this situation would most likely never go down. I'd also need somebody that's a genius on this cap stuff to make sure it's even likely. IF I were Dwight Howard, I'd meet with CP3 and make a gentlemen's agreement. I would propose that we both sign lesser 1 year deals(that way it wouldn't be anywhere near the vet minimum), and THEN NEXT YR, BOTH sign for the max in 2014. It makes all the sense in the world if you think about it. I need to brush up on the cap rules to see if that'd be possible however

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hizzle I don't know the cap as well, but they did put a rule in like a year or 2 ago that prevents players from reconstructing

RedRum

You Cant Handle the Truth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we had a trade of 19 million value, amnesty of 8 million value, and Kobe restructures - could we not then sign Paul?

Again, there may be holes in that logic and look forward to finding out if there are.

I heard on the radio that the new CBA rules wont let players under contract restructure.

Miami took advantage of the old CBA rule & S&T rules and also the fact that Wade was making less money than Kobe or Pau are making next year.

Guaranteed contracts for next season. Food for thought
Kobe Bryant ($30,453,000)
Pau Gasol ($19,285,850)
Steve Nash ($9,300,500)
Ron Artest ($7,727,280)
Steve Blake ($4,000,000)
Chris Duhon ($3,920,000)
Jordan Hill ($3,500,000)

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard on the radio that the new CBA rules wont let players under contract restructure.

Miami took advantage of the old CBA rule & S&T rules and also the fact that Wade was making less money than Kobe or Pau are making next year.

Guaranteed contracts for next season. Food for thought
Kobe Bryant ($30,453,000)
Pau Gasol ($19,285,850)
Steve Nash ($9,300,500)
Ron Artest ($7,727,280)
Steve Blake ($4,000,000)
Chris Duhon ($3,920,000)
Jordan Hill ($3,500,000)

Yeah, I remember reading that Kobe can't re-structure because players are no longer allowed to do that!! Seems kind of stupid that if a player were to want to, he couldn't!!

As for the guaranteed salaries. I think the Lakers could get CP3, but it would have to be a sign and trade and they'd have to take back in salary what they send away. Example: If they were to trade Pau for CP3, the Clippers would have to sign CP3 for the same or close to the same as what Pau makes. Not 100% sure on this, but it sounds about right!!

If anyone had different info., please post it!!

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I remember reading that Kobe can't re-structure because players are no longer allowed to do that!! Seems kind of stupid that if a player were to want to, he couldn't!!

As for the guaranteed salaries. I think the Lakers could get CP3, but it would have to be a sign and trade and they'd have to take back in salary what they send away. Example: If they were to trade Pau for CP3, the Clippers would have to sign CP3 for the same or close to the same as what Pau makes. Not 100% sure on this, but it sounds about right!!

If anyone had different info., please post it!!

I'm not sure S&Ts are available anymore to teams over the cap. I think that ended at this season's trade deadline which is why I don't think CP3 to the Lakers is at all possible with the exception of CP3 signing a vet minimum or using the mini-MLE.

We've pretty much known all season long that the 2013/2014 Lakers will look a lot like the 2012/2013 with the prize being the available cap space in the summer of 2014 to build around D12 (hopefully).

RedRum

You Cant Handle the Truth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[lakersrule

We've pretty much known all season long that the 2013/2014 Lakers will look a lot like the 2012/2013 with the prize being the available cap space in the summer of 2014 to build around D12 (hopefully).

Since nothing is even guaranteed in 2014 , hopefully Mitch wont wait until then to make some changes that help next year. We're not Cleveland or Miami to be satisfied to sux for a couple of years and gamble on a big free agency year 2 or 3 years down the road like they did. Act now. nothing is guaranteed.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since nothing is even guaranteed in 2014 , hopefully Mitch wont wait until then to make some changes that help next year. We're not Cleveland or Miami to be satisfied to sux for a couple of years and gamble on a big free agency year 2 or 3 years down the road like they did. Act now. nothing is guaranteed.

The problem is that their hands are tied. There is not a whole lot realistically to act on. I hope I'm wrong on these CBA rules and the Lakers can somehow "reaquire" CP3. I think I have a pretty good understanding of them though. Where's QID to flesh out these scenarios?

Big Red Slugs

Captain Hook
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure S&Ts are available anymore to teams over the cap. I think that ended at this season's trade deadline which is why I don't think CP3 to the Lakers is at all possible with the exception of CP3 signing a vet minimum or using the mini-MLE.

The salary cap won't be set until July, but it's likely to be roughly $60M.

Currently we're at $68M in guaranteed contracts, not including:

$7.7M player option for Metta
$3.7M non-guaranteed for Duhon
$1.5M team option for Meeks
$20.5M cap hold for Howard
$2.3M cap hold for Clark
$2M cap hold for Ebanks
$1.2M cap hold for Morris
$1M cap hold for Sacre
$884k cap hold for Jamison

It is possible to get under the cap, but a few things have to happen.

First, Metta needs to sign elsewhere. Second, Lakers need to renounce their rights, waive, whatever Duhon, Ebanks, and Jamison (unless he wants to sign; unlikely). Third, amnesty Kobe. Fourth, waive and stretch Steve Nash's $18M over 5 years.

That would put us at roughly $30M in guaranteed money for Gasol, Blake, Hill, and Nash's stretch, plus roughly $28M in cap holds for Howard, Clark, Morris, and Sacre. That's roughly $58M but not enough to field a 12-man roster.

if we pick up the option on Meeks and sign Clark, Morris, and Sacre for roughly $7-8M total, then we're at roughly $38M in guaranteed money with Howard's $20.5M cap hold and a roster of 8 players. Four rookie minimum contracts would be added to the cap hold at $850k a piece, or roughly $3.4M, pushing us to a total cap of about $62M.

So, I think Howard would have to agree to sign for slightly less, depending on exactly where the official salary cap comes out to be.

We could definitely get under the cap by waiving and stretching Pau Gasol's $19M over 3 years, but then we wouldn't have anything to use a likely multi-team sign-and-trade deal for CP3, unless, of course, CP3 wants to leave the Clips high and dry, which would make stretching Gasol feasible.

I could be wrong somewhere in there, and my math is rough, but that's what I've gathered from reading through the CBA very, very briefly.

Big Red Slugs

Captain Hook
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In other words, it's not likely to work unless Howard signs for slightly less or CP3 leaves the Clips high and dry. Those are both unlikely events.