• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

World Cup Thread

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Beckerman played really well. He was aggressive and controlled the ball well in midfield. Gonzalez also played well. Zusi was inches from having a beauty. There were some good things. They didn't want to let it get away from them. The Germans didn't let them have the ball much. They're damn good, but could be beaten. They looked very slow defensively.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely, but Belgium is neither as strong as Portugal or Germany IMO. Belgium is probably the most beatable group winner out there. It will be interesting to see what JK comes up with and whether Jozy is available and utilized.

I think Belgium is probably equal to Portugal just without the star power

I got 10 out of 16 on the group stage right

Spain, Ivory Coast, Ecuador, Italy, Korea & Bosnia let me down

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Beckerman played really well. He was aggressive and controlled the ball well in midfield. Gonzalez also played well. Zusi was inches from having a beauty. There were some good things. They didn't want to let it get away from them. The Germans didn't let them have the ball much. They're damn good, but could be beaten. They looked very slow defensively.

They played with the field, conditions dictated this match

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belgium is very beatable

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice to see Algeria advance, especially after everything I read about 1982, which is why they play both final group games at the exact same time now

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't say they weren't, they proved that repeatedly during the group stage, yet kept finding a way, they have far more mental and physical toughness just lack a Ronaldo

I like our chances. We'll play nobody else as tough as we've already faced until the quarterfinals at best.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice to see Algeria advance, especially after everything I read about 1982, which is why they play both final group games at the exact same time now

I was torn on this. Did not care for Algeria clearly playing for a tie in 2010.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brazil was very lucky they didn't get knocked out today. Saved by the crossbar in OT and then unfortunate that didn't go off the post and in, in the SO. Millimeters away away both times.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brazil was very lucky they didn't get knocked out today. Saved by the crossbar in OT and then unfortunate that didn't go off the post and in, in the SO. Millimeters away away both times.

I really felt bad for Chile. They played their asses off today.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So in the last 11 world cup matches the United States have won only 2 of those matches. For soccer to pick up steam and be popular for more than just one month every 4 years, I think it would take the US making it out of that Round of 16 and possibly making it to the semis. I think the games get great ratings, because it's more of a novelty and Americans like to get excited about their country competing in something.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So in the last 11 world cup matches the United States have won only 2 of those matches. For soccer to pick up steam and be popular for more than just one month every 4 years, I think it would take the US making it out of that Round of 16 and possibly making it to the semis. I think the games get great ratings, because it's more of a novelty and Americans like to get excited about their country competing in something.

This exactly. I was just telling my co-worker the other day that the excitement and ratings surrounding the team was great, but that they would have to make a serious deep run... possibly even in consecutive World Cups... to effect real change and make soccer somewhat equal to the other major sports in the US. Otherwise, you're right. It's just a brief buildup of national pride.

And we're not winning any World Cups until we develop guys who are more creative/natural with the ball. We've got the speed and athleticism to compete with anyone. It's the pure skill we're lacking. The Brazilians and Germans look like they were trained to walk with a ball between their feet while we're doing good to complete basic passes and set pieces.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This exactly. I was just telling my co-worker the other day that the excitement and ratings surrounding the team was great, but that they would have to make a serious deep run... possibly even in consecutive World Cups... to effect real change and make soccer somewhat equal to the other major sports in the US. Otherwise, you're right. It's just a brief buildup of national pride.

And we're not winning any World Cups until we develop guys who are more creative/natural with the ball. We've got the speed and athleticism to compete with anyone. It's the pure skill we're lacking. The Brazilians and Germans look like they were trained to walk with a ball between their feet while we're doing good to complete basic passes and set pieces.

Very true about the awkward nature of Americans when it comes to soccer, but I can say, personally, I've never been more interested, and I can say the same for many friends, hopefully it's a step further in the right direction

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They seem to be heading in the right direction with players like Green, Diskerud, and Yedlin.