• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WOAT play call cost me a thousand bucks!

Kumquat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, on a whim I entered a contest being sponsored by Pluckers to predict the score of the Super Bowl for a thousand smackers. I didn't even think about it for most of the game, but then I noticed the scores were starting to line up in my favor for my Seattle 31 New England 28 prediction. I saw Seattle march down the field, the ridiculous Kearse catch, and that they had 2nd and Goal from the 1 with freaking Lynch in the back field and less than 30 seconds to play. This was it! I was going to win! I could pay off the rest I owed on my surgery and part of my car!

Then...

bert-fuuu-11563460527.jpeg

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Facts:
26 seconds left, 2nd down, one time out left.
No int's were thrown from the one this year until last night.
Lynch was run in this situation five times this year: he only got in the EZ once.
If you run and miss, call the last TO, then you virtually HAVE TO pass on 3rd, and the D will know it.

Carroll was going to run Lynch 3 out of 4 downs that series. Given time left and one time out, he had to pass once. What's the best down to throw on? 2nd down to keep your options open and keep the Defense guessing.

Pass on 2nd was the right call.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No guaranteed chance Lynch puts that in the end zone. He had a 20% success rate from the 1 and the Pats knew it was coming. Everyone seems to forget the Jerome Bettis fumble in 2005 after it was a 'lock.'

The pass almost worked, an unlikely hero just made an all pro read and won it. If he didn't jump that route Seattle easily scores a TD there. The bigger problem I have is the pass play called. I would've preferred a fade route to that 6'5" Chris Matthews who was going HAM that game.