• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wk 9... vs IND

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The safety was brutal to watch. As soon as he took the 5-7 step drop you knew he was in trouble after the first read. He was poised like he was standing on the 50yd line and not in danger of giving up points. No field or pocket awareness. The brain clock shoulda been alarming as soon as he hit his 5th step in the dropback. That's a huge mistake that a smarter QB wouldn't let happen. I get that he's young, but he's showing too many red-flag type characteristics for me to feel confident in him moving forward. He has moments where you think, "wow that was a good play" but too few & VERY far between. Overall you watch a QB struggle mightily through 4 quarters of play with sprinkles of adequacy throughout. The scary thing is that its a weekly thing for Ficthner & Mason. What are they doing in practices to figure this out? Sure seems like nothing at all but sticking to the failing program. Fichtner surely isn't finding out better ways of getting him into rhythm. And if he is, Mason isn't taking the step forward to give himself that confidence. They just aren't working well together. Either Fichtner needs to switch up his approach with Mason, get shown the door, or change to Devlin Hodges who has more confidence in throwing downfield.

Someone needs to prove they can do their job effectively.
I think we have two very good backups. But no future starter.

I think Mason will develop into the better pro over time, but Duck is the 'best chance to win guy', right now.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one in his endzone was 100% on him.

I'm not ready to change to Hodges yet though because I still think Rudolph is a better player just not comfortable yet. Maybe you're right and he's already revealed who he is as a QB. But Fichtner is calling the game in such a way that you feel one INT that wasn't his fault he's ready to crawl back into a shell.
Im by no means being a jerk. But when does he feel comfortable? Hes not a rookie, he was around all year last year, hes had action. You can see his eyes, he doesnt go through the reads well, he runs, he collapses, he dumps. He doesnt anticipate the routes. I mean there is a lot going on that is negative. Where is the positive to hang your hat on? Hes made a handful of good throws, but so has mitchell trubisky. Neither should be starting

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im by no means being a jerk. But when does he feel comfortable? Hes not a rookie, he was around all year last year, hes had action. You can see his eyes, he doesnt go through the reads well, he runs, he collapses, he dumps. He doesnt anticipate the routes. I mean there is a lot going on that is negative. Where is the positive to hang your hat on? Hes made a handful of good throws, but so has mitchell trubisky. Neither should be starting
He tends to collapse under pressure. I don't know if that can be fixed. Turtles and/or rushes when stressed. I don't think the hamster is running full speed in his head, either.

It's the kind of thing we've made fun of other QB's around the league for. We should be able to recognize it here.

If he can't stand tall behind this line, he'll have a rough time going forward. This is about as good as it gets.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Twist twist twist

Is it a twist or is it a reason? It's obvious that he's good at his job given the performance this offense had last year in his first year as OC. I refuse to judge Fichtner on this year given all the injuries we've had on offense.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also: The league office will NEVER EVER EVER EVER overturn a PI call on the field. Doesn't matter what anyone sees. They are only allowing the challenge to happen for appearances.

May as well stop trying.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He tends to collapse under pressure. I don't know if that can be fixed. Turtles and/or rushes when stressed.

It's the kind of thing we've made fun of other QB's around the league for. We should be able to recognize it here.

If he can't stand tall behind this line, he'll have a rough time going forward. This is about as good as it gets.
exactly.

When hodges started the first play of the game they took a shot down field. He did throw alot of screens and dumps. But they did take some shots downfield with him. They didnt throw that much against the chargers because they ran it down their throats, and the turnovers.

even in relief in the ravens game, they were letting duck take shots......

Everyone, media-fans-etc is blaming fichtner. He has not called great games. But I dunno, the guy did ok with ben, hodges is taking some shots, but when mason is in, its the OC's fault? Im not buying it. its both.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also: The league office will NEVER EVER EVER EVER overturn a PI call on the field. Doesn't matter what anyone sees. They are only allowing the challenge to happen for appearances.

May as well stop trying.

Overall, there have been seven reversals in 40 pass interference-related reviews since the start of the season, including those initiated by the replay official in the booth. Coaches are 1-21 on challenging PI calls. So, while it's very very rare, never say never.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
exactly.

When hodges started the first play of the game they took a shot down field. He did throw alot of screens and dumps. But they did take some shots downfield with him. They didnt throw that much against the chargers because they ran it down their throats, and the turnovers.

Everyone, media-fans-etc is blaming fichtner. He has not called great games. But I dunno, the guy did ok with ben, hodges is taking some shots, but when mason is in, its the OC's fault? Im not buying it.
Mason has the better arm. Stronger and more accurate, in perfect conditions.

Games aren't perfect conditions, and Mason hears the footsteps.

Duck has chill (and better mobility). That's why he's better.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall, there have been seven reversals in 40 pass interference-related reviews since the start of the season, including those initiated by the replay official in the booth. Coaches are 1-21 on challenging PI calls. So, while it's very very rare, never say never.
clear.png
Can't rate useful on this sub.
pngtree-cartoon-wrench-grey-wrench-illustration-fixed-wrench-screw-wrench-png-image_454798.jpg

Still, 1/21, that's a terrible rate. What play did they overturn?

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't get behind this tweet. Haley had Ben throughout his tenure here. Fichtner had Ben last year and we had the 6th ranked offense last year in PPG and the 2nd ranked passing game in the league. This year, he's left with a 2nd year, 2nd string QB and an undrafted rookie 3rd string QB. I can't completely fault Ficht for the offense this year. Any offense would be struggling with all these injuries and having to resort to their 2nd and 3rd string QBs.

So here you are saying that its the QB is the issue and I largely agree, but the sentiment that any team with a 2nd year, 2nd string QB, or a 3rd string QB is just not right, i pointed out the players that go against this.

Matt Moore is a vet who has 10 years under his belt and has been a starter for most of that. He's experienced. Rudolph and Hodges are not.
Titans got a chuckle with who? Ryan Tannehill, who's been a starter in the league for 8 years who led the Dolphins to the playoffs in 2016? He's experienced. Rudolph and Hodges are not.
The Broncos? You mean Brandon Allen, who just started today and beat the lowly Browns?

Gardner Minshew and Kyle Allen are good examples, yet you are missing the whole injury aspect of this conversation. All of these teams you're mentioning haven't had the injuries that we've had.

Our starting, backup and 3rd string RBs, starting TE and WR2 have missed games this year. That's gotta count for something as well.

Here you state matt moore is a 10 year vet, whose been a starter most of it, thats just not true. Either way, hes a back up. You pivot on a few guys to stating the have experience, so that's different.

I point out minshew and kyle allen. Then you switch gears to injuries. So now we have pivoted twice.

My statement was stated: "2nd year, 2nd string QB and undrafted rookie 3rd string QB". So no, not just any 2nd and 3rd string QBs. You have to take things into context. How many offenses have been through what our offense has been through? Lose our starting QB for the year, have RB1, RB2 and RB3 miss multiple games due to injury, our starting TE missing games due to injury and our WR2 missing games due to injury. The comparison of Haley and Fichtner just isn't a fair one in my opinion and we were a top 10 offense last year in Fichtner's first year. Are we just forgetting about that now?
again, brandon allen, minshew, the list goes on. KC has their MVP qb out, theyve had their star wr hurt, theyve had all their RB's hurt, and various other injuries, ALOT of teams have had injuries. How about jax? their qb, TE, Wr's all hurt??Yes i agree Fichtner could work with ben. But hes calling a horrid game now. Maybe this is all mason. The more im thinking about it, I think it is Mason. But still, the logic is flawed

Is it a twist or is it a reason? It's obvious that he's good at his job given the performance this offense had last year in his first year as OC. I refuse to judge Fichtner on this year given all the injuries we've had on offense.
again, teams with injuries still have functioning offenses

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mason has the better arm. Stronger and more accurate, in perfect conditions.

Games aren't perfect conditions, and Mason hears the footsteps.

Duck has chill (and better mobility). That's why he's better.
right. Kyle boller, jamarcus russel, jay cutler all had great arms too

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
clear.png
Can't rate useful on this sub.
pngtree-cartoon-wrench-grey-wrench-illustration-fixed-wrench-screw-wrench-png-image_454798.jpg

Still, 1/21, that's a terrible rate. What play did they overturn?

Eagles/Packers week 4. OPI was called on Zach Ertz and Philly challenged it and it was overturned.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
exactly.

Everyone, media-fans-etc is blaming fichtner. He has not called great games. But I dunno, the guy did ok with ben, hodges is taking some shots, but when mason is in, its the OC's fault? Im not buying it. its both.
Having a HOF QB makes life so much easier for everyone involved. Hiring Ben's QB coach to run the offense is another way of saying, "let's let Ben call the offense". Randy may have generated the schemes each week, but Ben's eyes on the field coordinated the offense and its adjustments through 4 quarters.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this from profootballfocus. I was crucified for saying Jaylen Samuels is not a good RB. Good player but not a good runner. Never was.

"Samuels isn’t a running back
To be clear, as long as James Conner is out, Jaylen Samuels will be the Steelers running back. But he’s just not one. He had 13 receptions Sunday and only 8 carries. Trey Edmonds had 12 carries. Samuels will maintain value — especially in PPR leagues — as long as Conner is out, but it’s unlikely we ever see him get the kind of workload Conner or Le’Veon Bell usually get/got."

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this from profootballfocus. I was crucified for saying Jaylen Samuels is not a good RB. Good player but not a good runner. Never was.

"Samuels isn’t a running back
To be clear, as long as James Conner is out, Jaylen Samuels will be the Steelers running back. But he’s just not one. He had 13 receptions Sunday and only 8 carries. Trey Edmonds had 12 carries. Samuels will maintain value — especially in PPR leagues — as long as Conner is out, but it’s unlikely we ever see him get the kind of workload Conner or Le’Veon Bell usually get/got."
I didn't like seeing late in the game running Samuels in a gap. And he was already obviously gassed.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So here you are saying that its the QB is the issue and I largely agree, but the sentiment that any team with a 2nd year, 2nd string QB, or a 3rd string QB is just not right, i pointed out the players that go against this.

Here you state matt moore is a 10 year vet, whose been a starter most of it, thats just not true. Either way, hes a back up. You pivot on a few guys to stating the have experience, so that's different.

I point out minshew and kyle allen. Then you switch gears to injuries. So now we have pivoted twice.

again, brandon allen, minshew, the list goes on. KC has their MVP qb out, theyve had their star wr hurt, theyve had all their RB's hurt, and various other injuries, ALOT of teams have had injuries. How about jax? their qb, TE, Wr's all hurt??Yes i agree Fichtner could work with ben. But hes calling a horrid game now. Maybe this is all mason. The more im thinking about it, I think it is Mason. But still, the logic is flawed

again, teams with injuries still have functioning offenses

If you want to judge our OC based on this offense then go ahead. I'm choosing not to based on all of the injuries we've had on this offense and the job he did last year with a healthy offense all year long. I've never pivoted or went away from that sentiment at all. My original statement about 2nd and 3rd string QBs is BASED ON THE FACT that we lost our starting QB to injury and it is very hard for an offense to click when we have starters out every week, then our 2nd string guys get injured and we expect our 3rd string players to play like they are Week 1 starters. Fichtner gets a pass from me this year.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want to judge our OC based on this offense then go ahead. I'm choosing not to based on all of the injuries we've had on this offense and the job he did last year with a healthy offense all year long. I've never pivoted or went away from that sentiment at all. My original statement about 2nd and 3rd string QBs is BASED ON THE FACT that we lost our starting QB to injury and it is very hard for an offense to click when we have starters out every week, then our 2nd string guys get injured and we expect our 3rd string players to play like they are Week 1 starters. Fichtner gets a pass from me this year.
no, i expect our 2nd string QB, whose in his second year, learning under a HOF qb, who we had a 1st round grade on, to be passable.

I dont get it man. Your whole argument comes down to we lost our starting qb. PERIOD. Again, other offenses can lose their starter, and click. Why cant' our 1st round graded QB with some starts under his belt, and time to learn, throw more than 3 yards? But Brandon Allen can? or Kyle allen. Or gardner minshew who 1.5 years ago, his goal in life was to go to bama and party. Matt moore whose 16-16 in his career can come in and win and throw downfield. yes 16-16 in 10 years, so NO HE WASNT A STARTER MOST OF THOSE YEARS. I mean for god sake, cj beatheard and nick mullens made some noise with a horrid offensive cast. This is the biggest pass.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, switch a few words and I would think you are describing Brissett with the Colts.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bud Dupree is putting together, easily, his best season as a pro. If he learns how to use his arms in 1 on 1 blocks, he'll be a true terror on the field. Pricing himself into a blockbuster contract. Would have to wonder if he is actually putting it all together, or if he reverts to mean after getting paid.

Minkah Fitzpatrick is worth all the first round picks. Fuck. Yeah.

J. Samuels is very talented, but he doesn't have the stamina to be the feature back yet. He works best change of pace / swiss army. Still a huge asset.

Thanks for showing up Washington! Keep it going!
The issue I have with Bud Dupree is let someone else pay that monster contract, this screams Vic Beasley.