• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Wk 5 vs Jets

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've seen the Steelers go from serious SB contenders to the worst DEF in the league and back to SB contenders in a matter of two weeks.

Will the REAL PITTSBURGH STEELERS Stand Up!

Kidding aside, clearly we saw a change in DEF scheme by Butler and I'm quite sure the results of the PHI game had a great deal of influence on it.

The big question is going forward, what should we expect to see on DEF? My guess is a mixture of both conservative and aggressive depending on the opponent, but I expect Butler to be more aggressive at home.

The (1-3) NY Jets visit Heinz Field this week. They come in with a highly touted DEF and some good weapons on OFC, in Forte, Marshall and Decker but so far, they are pretty much middle of the road on OFC (13th overall). They are also middle of the pack on DEF (16th) and giving up a surprising 26 ppg. It's not so surprising when you realize the Jets have had a lot of turnovers early in the season. Their performance vs the run (avg 70 ypg) tells you a little bit more about their capabilities on DEF....they do the two primary functions of a good football team pretty well...they can run the ball and they can stop the run.

Where they are struggling is in the passing game largely because Fitzpatrick has been pick city thru 4 games....leading the league with 10...granted over half (6) came in one game, but he followed that game up with 3 more last week.

Health...I'll focus on the Steelers here...and it ain't pretty. There is no official injury report out yet so don't take this as the gospel but from sniffing around this morning it looks like...Gilbert (ankle) most likely he will be out at least this week, and possibly next game as well. Harris (leg hematoma), no word on his availability at this point. Foster (chest), the early word is 50/50. Wallace (knee) doubtful...starting to look like a possible IR candidate ...word is Pouncey was taking snaps at RT in practice...if these situations don't take a turn for the better in a day or so, look for PS player Matt Feiler to be brought up to the 53.

Shazier (knee), Jarvis Jones (ankle), Chickillo (knee) Golden (hamstring), DHB (shoulder) are all questionable at this point, but if I had to guess, I think Shazier and Chickillo will play. I can see them giving Golden's hammy another week given how well Dangerfield played last week and Davis being available.

This game...with the OL being in such disarray it's hard to be comfortable with any positive thoughts against a very good and physical DL. The Jets like to man up outside and I like the matchups there, but I think they will work the short passing game a lot more to protect Ben and maybe mix in some runs to keep some balance. Bell vs the fast young LB, Darron Lee should be interesting in passing game.

The DEF can't allow a vet QB like Fitz to stand back there and complete passes and build confidence...I think they have to control Forte (iffy to play) and get after Fitz much like they did Alex Smith.

Tough game, could be lower scoring with the OL issues but imo the Steelers will come out on top 24-17.

What say you?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good work ATL! :suds:

Offense... Haley will need to scheme for lots of quick passes. They need to take the wind out of that D-line if they are going to win the battle. Sounds like Foster is back at practice in full participation. Gilbert will not play, and we are still Harris still has yet to practice so there is growing concern over Hubbard playing at RT. Pouncey received some snaps at RT. I expect that to be more of a "break glass in case of emergency" type situation. Finney can fill in for C in that scenario. Look for Bell to be heavily involved in the passing game again. So long as Ben can find the time, he should be able to pick apart that secondary. Revis is still formidable, but not as scary. They have been moving Pryor around at safety and bringing him into the box a lot. Watch for him to cover Bell a lot.

Defense... Jarvis & Shazier sat out of practice today. Questionable at best for this week's game. Chickillo has been a full participant. Hopefully Butler keeps more 3 D-lineman in the game this week to contain Forte. If they roll out that 2 D-lineman & 2 LB's makeshift D-line then Forte should have very little problems finding breathing room. Secondary may not be able to play the "small nickel" package this week as Justin Gilbert was carted off the field during today's practice. It was later reported that he walked out of the facility on his own accord. Not sure how bad it is, but glad to hear he wasn't on crutches. Sean Davis should see more work this week in that roll. Golden was back in limited fashion. Hoping to see him back on the field. Hoping this unit can play like they did against KC. Forte, Marshall & Decker are a better trio, but Fitzpatrick has lost his confidence. Hope to see Heyward create more havoc and create turnovers.

I agree on the lower scoring part... Game may come down to turnovers. Hoping the Steelers can win in that category.

PIT 27 - NYJ 17

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Latest on the injuries.

Week 5 Injury Report (Jets) 

It's reported that, Justin Gilbert's injury is not serious...so that's good and as Face mentioned, Foster was back at practice (full) so the really issue on the OL is RT since Harris seems to be still dealing with his leg issue...I have a sense that Harris may play, but Hubbard is the next man up if he doesn't....still no move on pulling Feiler from the PS, so that makes me think maybe they won't.

Nix was a full practice participant...if he can go back to back I think he will have his '16 debut which is great for Bell.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice work as usual gentlemen.

I like the Steelers in this one but I think our defense takes a step back and helps the Jets right the ship.

Steelers 34-27.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thursday Injury Report

Pittsburgh:

DID NOT PRACTICE
CB Justin Gilbert (Knee)
T Marcus Gilbert (Ankle)
CB Senquez Golson (Foot)
T Ryan Harris (Shin)
WR Eli Rogers (Toe)
LB Ryan Shazier (Knee)
C Cody Wallace (Knee)

LIMITED PARTICIPATION
S Robert Golden (Hamstring)
LB Jarvis Jones (Ankle)

FULL PARTICIPATION
LB Anthony Chickillo (Knee)
G Ramon Foster (Chest)
WR Darrius Heyward-Bey (Shoulder)
FB Roosevelt Nix (Back)

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thursday Injury Report

Pittsburgh:

DID NOT PRACTICE
CB Justin Gilbert (Knee)
T Marcus Gilbert (Ankle)
CB Senquez Golson (Foot)
T Ryan Harris (Shin)
WR Eli Rogers (Toe)
LB Ryan Shazier (Knee)
C Cody Wallace (Knee)

LIMITED PARTICIPATION
S Robert Golden (Hamstring)
LB Jarvis Jones (Ankle)

FULL PARTICIPATION
LB Anthony Chickillo (Knee)
G Ramon Foster (Chest)
WR Darrius Heyward-Bey (Shoulder)
FB Roosevelt Nix (Back)

All of the DNPs are OUT, add Golden and Nix to that list.

Jarvis, Chick, Foster, DHB, are expected to play.

Hubbard gets is 1st career start at RT...if it were me, Johnson would get a few more snaps than normal in this game.

Really starting to wonder what's up with Nix, but they are apparently not seeing enough.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of the DNPs are OUT, add Golden and Nix to that list.

Jarvis, Chick, Foster, DHB, are expected to play.

Hubbard gets is 1st career start at RT...if it were me, Johnson would get a few more snaps than normal in this game.

Really starting to wonder what's up with Nix, but they are apparently not seeing enough.
Alright Hubbard lets see what you got... Yea I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of TE's lining up on the right side this week. At least until they start to feel comfortable with Hubbard in there, or until they start gassing that defense. Hard to say. But judging by the awful showings from Hubbard at LT in the preseason I'm definitely worried. Hopefully Haley has a solid gameplan in place or Ben is going to take a lot of shots this week.

Nix... Him & Wallace are starting to concern me. Injuries are piling up and those 2 are out weekly and eating up roster spots. Couple them with Golson, and you have 3 spots on the active roster that haven't seen a helmet in 3-4 games. Not sure how they can justify letting that happen when all these injuries keep happening. So far they have been managing ok, but I fear the depth weaknesses will start to show. If JJ doesn't play this week, they will need a heavy rotation out there because Harrison isn't going to be able to play 90% of snaps to his full ability. Chickillo is going to see a healthy amount of snaps this week regardless of JJ's status.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright Hubbard lets see what you got... Yea I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of TE's lining up on the right side this week. At least until they start to feel comfortable with Hubbard in there, or until they start gassing that defense. Hard to say. But judging by the awful showings from Hubbard at LT in the preseason I'm definitely worried. Hopefully Haley has a solid gameplan in place or Ben is going to take a lot of shots this week.

Nix... Him & Wallace are starting to concern me. Injuries are piling up and those 2 are out weekly and eating up roster spots. Couple them with Golson, and you have 3 spots on the active roster that haven't seen a helmet in 3-4 games. Not sure how they can justify letting that happen when all these injuries keep happening. So far they have been managing ok, but I fear the depth weaknesses will start to show. If JJ doesn't play this week, they will need a heavy rotation out there because Harrison isn't going to be able to play 90% of snaps to his full ability. Chickillo is going to see a healthy amount of snaps this week regardless of JJ's status.

Roster...It's really good that Foster is going because that leaves 1 healthy OL...Finney. They could make a roster move for Feiler...if so, somebody could get waived...Steve Johnson or Toussiant? idk just spitballing but it could happen.

Hubbard...yeah, I'm concerned...I think this could be a heavy run type game plan and take a few deep shots here and there...that's why idt Butler can afford to be too conservative...PIT needs to play from the lead in this game and stay out of a lot of 3rd and long.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wow... Harris to IR is a shocker. Have to read more into that. But suddenly the OT position is scary looking. Golson is not surprising. They are happy with Burns' progression & Justin Gilbert's suddenly a likable sub-package guy. Davis being back healthy gives them flexibility. Hate not being able to see what Golson brings, but it was necessary. They need depth at other positions badly.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Shabazz reminds me of a poor-mans Artie Burns... Athletically gifted, but doesn't have the premier speed of Burns. Should see some ST work this week. Haven't heard much about Feiler this offseason.

From my offseason position previews:

Shabazz:
Shabazz played CFB at West Chester University where, in his senior year, he led the team with 5 INTs and 11 pass breakups, while compiling 40 tackles. He had brief stints with the Colts (UDFA) & Buccaneers last year. He has a good frame and length (6'2" 200) with an ability to make plays on throws underneath. Questions have loomed about his technique and physicality. Another raw project for the fold.

Feiler:
Feiler spent last year on PIT's PS. He's a two-time first-team All-PSAC East out of Bloomsburg. Outstanding size at 6'6" 330. Good upper-body strength but he's not a natural bender. Limited mobility, explosion and balance.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaching… Good game plan from Haley. As we discussed, the quick pass dink & dunk offense was on full display. All the while Ben was still taking plenty of shots downfield. Drives fizzled throughout the game because of missed connections with the deep ball, but overall the plan worked fairly efficiently. Ben was only sacked once because of that plan. So kudos to Haley & Tomlin. Also worth noting, only 1 penalty this week for 10yds. Love seein that!

QB… Ben was doin work today. 380 & 4 TDs, spreading the ball around quite well like we know he can. When he’s on fire like he is lately and the O-line is doin a good job protecting him, skys the limit for this offense.

RB… Big day from Bell. Racked up 154 all-purpose yards, including a career-high 9 receptions. Great job of staying patient behind the line and waiting for the seems to open up.

WR… Coates had a few frustrating drops. Started pad catching a little bit, but overall a great game. He continues to provide the legitimate deep threat across from AB that this offense needs. 6 catches to the tune of 139yds, averaging a whopping 23yds per catch. Great work from AB & Bell in the passing game as well. Wheaton even chipped in a couple solid 2nd & 3rd down conversions for 1sts.

TE... Solid contribution all around. Obviously James is earning Ben's full trust. DJ is a menace in the blocking game. Nix's return doesn't look nearly as perilous as it once did.

O-line… Incredible job today. The sack-fumble wasn’t their fault. Ben held the ball too long in a collapsing pocket. But still, holding that great D-line to 1 sack on the day was amazing! The quick passes were gassing their D-line and making the O-line’s job easy. Still it was evident that the O-line was winning the majority of their assignments.

D-line… Outside of that 28yd gash from Forte, the run game was shut down. Jets abandoned the run game around the 3rd qtr. Pressure was there all game long too. Even without Heyward.

LB… 3 sacks generated (2 solo, 1 combo). Chick, V-Will, Timmons & Moats on the action. Another solid outing from Vinny. 8 tackles, 1 assist. Kid is earning every penny of his contract.

DB… Cockrell channeled his inner Ike Taylor missing a big INT opportunity on that Marshall TD. Would have been a great play if he made the INT, but the ball went right through his hands and off his helmet into Marshall’s hands. Hate seeing that sort of stuff happen, but Cockrell was pretty solid for the rest of the game. Great coverage from Gay, Mitchell, Dangerfield & Burns as well. Secondary was sound for the most part.

ST… Botched FG early on was a headache. But Boswell was a solid 4/4 on XPs & 1/1 on FGs (could have been 2/2). Berry was doin good pinning the Jets inside their 20. Would have been great to see more inside the 10, but better safe than sorry. Great coverage today as well.

Injuries of note… Heyward left in the 1st half and did not return. Hammy pull by the looks of it. He’s someone this defense cannot afford to lose. Next man up mentality has worked so far, but the loss of a captain & emotional cog for that unit will hurt big time. Hope the hammy isn’t a tear. Keep your fingers crossed. Heard Coates hurt his finger. Not sure how serious that is.

Overall… It wasn’t the prettiest of wins, but it was solid team effort. Jets are a floundering team so don’t take too much solace out of the win today. Main thing to be happy about is Tomlin finally won against a team they “should” easily beat. Offense was 5/10 on 3rd downs today. Not as worrisome when you consider they netted 433 total yards of offense, and were ¾ in the RZ. They did most of their damage on 1st & 2nd downs. Still, there were quite a few drives that stalled out which can’t happen against better teams. Defense is playing well, albeit against questionable opponents. We shall see what they are really made of in week 7 against NE. I like how Butler has turned up the heat though. Even with the unit being as short-handed as they are, Butler is not shying away from being aggressive. Also worth noting that the tackling seems to be getting a lot better.

Outlook… This team is on a roll and could be looking at 5-1 for the showdown with the Pats in week 7. They absolutely cannot overlook the Fins next week though. Fins are banged up all across the board, but so are the Steelers. PIT might be getting a few players back this week: Golden, Shazier, Rogers & Nix. Miami hasn't been playing well at all. Coming off a deflating loss against the Titans I'm sure they'll have their backs against the wall looking for a desperation win. Expect Tannehill to come out slinging it.

Last edited:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry for such lengthy recaps... I don't realize how long they are until I post it. I get pretty caught up in my ramblings lol

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dayum! I knew Hubbard played well today, but didn't know he played THAT well.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could someone get Coates a jar of stick-em for Christmas?????

Reports say he had a laceration on his hand between his thumb and finger, the webbing part....

Might of hindered him from catching some of the passes!!!!