• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wish List

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets just take a few snap shots of where each of us are right now...

With the loss of Sandoval, our off-season picture clears up quite a bit. We have a decent amount of money, but we also have quite a few holes.

REALISTICALLY, who do you want the Giants to go after and get?

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still torn. I've obviously been saying punt 2015 but if they can get decent terms on some pieces why not take another shot? They need a legit 2/3 starter, Romo or someone like him, someone adequate to play 3B, and a LF.

If they can handle what it takes to bring in Lester and Tomas and Romo I say do that and let er rip.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see the team get Headley, Markakis and Masterson. Pass on Tomas and make a serious bid on Moncado (??).

The price tags on Headley and Markakis will be the big questions, though. Neither are all-stars, so they should not be paid like all-stars. We would still need to have funds for 1 more 4/5 SP (Vogey?), a #4 OF (Bonifacio?) and a 6th/7th RP (kid or dumpster-dive).

While it would be short-term excitement to get Lester or Scherzer, I cant imagine the contracts that would be required to get them will be worth it. At the same time, what is our window? We don't have any cant-miss kids coming up, so do we care if we have an albatross in '18?

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see the team get Headley, Markakis and Masterson. Pass on Tomas and make a serious bid on Moncado (??).

The price tags on Headley and Markakis will be the big questions, though. Neither are all-stars, so they should not be paid like all-stars. We would still need to have funds for 1 more 4/5 SP (Vogey?), a #4 OF (Bonifacio?) and a 6th/7th RP (kid or dumpster-dive).

While it would be short-term excitement to get Lester or Scherzer, I cant imagine the contracts that would be required to get them will be worth it. At the same time, what is our window? We don't have any cant-miss kids coming up, so do we care if we have an albatross in '18?

This is kind of where I'm at. You almost have to 'overpay' to compete...you pick a window and go for it. We could pass on this year and go for it later, or make some 'win now' moves. Tomas and Lester would be 'win now'. Your moves wouldn't be a punt per se but they would be kind of 'let's hope we get lucky'.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is kind of where I'm at. You almost have to 'overpay' to compete...you pick a window and go for it. We could pass on this year and go for it later, or make some 'win now' moves. Tomas and Lester would be 'win now'. Your moves wouldn't be a punt per se but they would be kind of 'let's hope we get lucky'.

I see what you are saying, but I don't agree. At least not where it concerns Markakis and Headley. Markakis is Pence (super-)Lite. You can pretty much pencil him into the lineup everyday, and he puts up solid numbers (again, not all-star, but solid). Headley would give you better defense than Panda, and his bat would be solid in the 6 hole. Markakis and Headley is better than just Panda.

Masterson my be a bit of a "safe risk", and not really address the #2 problem we have right now. But I have to hope that Cain will address that. That means Masterson could compete with Huddy for the #3 spot with Vogey, Timmeh and Petit competing with any other minor signings for the #5 spot. Not exactly 2010, but there is no way we will have a 2010 rotation in 2015.

Besides, outside of $$, I don't see any reason for Lester to come to SF. He owns a home in the Atlanta area, and he loves Boston and Chicago. Outside of a month or so in Oakland, he has no ties to the Bay Area. I just don't get the gut that he is a real option.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see what you are saying, but I don't agree. At least not where it concerns Markakis and Headley. Markakis is Pence (super-)Lite. You can pretty much pencil him into the lineup everyday, and he puts up solid numbers (again, not all-star, but solid). Headley would give you better defense than Panda, and his bat would be solid in the 6 hole. Markakis and Headley is better than just Panda.

Masterson my be a bit of a "safe risk", and not really address the #2 problem we have right now. But I have to hope that Cain will address that. That means Masterson could compete with Huddy for the #3 spot with Vogey, Timmeh and Petit competing with any other minor signings for the #5 spot. Not exactly 2010, but there is no way we will have a 2010 rotation in 2015.

Besides, outside of $$, I don't see any reason for Lester to come to SF. He owns a home in the Atlanta area, and he loves Boston and Chicago. Outside of a month or so in Oakland, he has no ties to the Bay Area. I just don't get the gut that he is a real option.

Good points, I think you have me convinced we can take a shot with your suggestions.

As far as Lester goes, we do have the pitcher's park to offer, to make his numbers even better. Just like Panda went to Boston IMO primarily to hit 25 HRs and .320 avg instead of 17 and .280 here.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For my wishlist, I'll throw out a name who will be cheap but I think could have a role.

Tampa Bay just DFA'd Sean Rodriguez. He is only 29, has a year of arbitration eligibility left and of course the versatility. Rodriguez can play LF, RF, 2B, 1B and even 3B. .225 career hitter, but he has some pop and would be cheap

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For my wishlist, I'll throw out a name who will be cheap but I think could have a role.

Tampa Bay just DFA'd Sean Rodriguez. He is only 29, has a year of arbitration eligibility left and of course the versatility. Rodriguez can play LF, RF, 2B, 1B and even 3B. .225 career hitter, but he has some pop and would be cheap

I have no opinion on this guy but if that's one of your key offseason moves...you are punting on 2015. Utility guys we got.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not gunna lie. I never heard of this kid. But he looks like a decent non-roster invite type of player.

Not sure he really fills any of the holes we have, though. He Ks about 25% of the time and has a career .670 OPS, so he isn't pushing to be a starter. I like Bonifacio better because is a bad starter, but at both of our black-hole positions, so he could act as Util1/2 AND OF4/5 for us.

Again, I have never seen this kid play or even heard of him before this. Maybe you know something about him that makes him pop out to you.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still torn. I've obviously been saying punt 2015 but if they can get decent terms on some pieces why not take another shot? They need a legit 2/3 starter, Romo or someone like him, someone adequate to play 3B, and a LF.

If they can handle what it takes to bring in Lester and Tomas and Romo I say do that and let er rip.

Let me be clear, though. If the team DOES go this route, I would be OK with that.

I am just nervous about Tomas regarding his defense, and the fact that he is completely un-tested and already demanding Sandoval+ $$.

jeep99tj

If you don’t agree with me, don’t talk to me.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to throw this out there. Melky and Lester should be tops on the list. Melky makes sense as he's played here before and would be a good fill in left and at the plate. It is reported the Giants are interested. I think if they have a good sit down with him regarding his departure and get the air cleared it would be to our benefit. Lester would give the Giants two very solid lefties to go with Cain (if he comes back strong as everybody expects), Hudson and Lincecum. An awesome 1-2 and more then capable 3-5. Let Arias and Duffy fight it out for third in spring training and then have some fun next season.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to throw this out there. Melky and Lester should be tops on the list. Melky makes sense as he's played here before and would be a good fill in left and at the plate. It is reported the Giants are interested. I think if they have a good sit down with him regarding his departure and get the air cleared it would be to our benefit. Lester would give the Giants two very solid lefties to go with Cain (if he comes back strong as everybody expects), Hudson and Lincecum. An awesome 1-2 and more then capable 3-5. Let Arias and Duffy fight it out for third in spring training and then have some fun next season.

I think the clubhouse leaders need to be on board if Melky is ever going to come back. There were reports that Posey, in particular, bas none to happy with the situation. However, there some stories this past year that that was blown out of proportion, who we really don't know what went down or what kind of structure remains of that blown-up bridge.

Another question is how the fans will react. Will the Melk-Maids come back? Will they be more reserved in their re-embrace of the guy?

My gut is that it ain't happening. The fans were soooo in on him, and than *POOF*, he was gone with no word to anybody. I just think that any kind of reunion would be too awkward.

Add to this the fact that would cost us the #20 pick to get him...

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not gunna lie. I never heard of this kid. But he looks like a decent non-roster invite type of player.

Not sure he really fills any of the holes we have, though. He Ks about 25% of the time and has a career .670 OPS, so he isn't pushing to be a starter. I like Bonifacio better because is a bad starter, but at both of our black-hole positions, so he could act as Util1/2 AND OF4/5 for us.

Again, I have never seen this kid play or even heard of him before this. Maybe you know something about him that makes him pop out to you.

I think Bonifacio is a nice comp. In that Rodriguez is the poor man's version of him with his versatility. Bat is not very good, would be more of a doubles guy at AT&T. Just for me as a guy who is available, I'd like him as a bench guy or AAA guy who can give us insurance at LF/RF or one of the IF positions when someone needs a day off or there is a "day to day" injury

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets just take a few snap shots of where each of us are right now...

With the loss of Sandoval, our off-season picture clears up quite a bit. We have a decent amount of money, but we also have quite a few holes.

REALISTICALLY, who do you want the Giants to go after and get?

I'd think Headley, Santana, Cruz -- in that order.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And curiously, you haven't been ripping yourself for giving up....hmmm.....:rollseyes:

droider

Human NFL Almanac and College Football Insider
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They're not getting Lester, already lost out on Tomas, and Romo is junk!

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the clubhouse leaders need to be on board if Melky is ever going to come back. There were reports that Posey, in particular, bas none to happy with the situation. However, there some stories this past year that that was blown out of proportion, who we really don't know what went down or what kind of structure remains of that blown-up bridge.

Another question is how the fans will react. Will the Melk-Maids come back? Will they be more reserved in their re-embrace of the guy?

My gut is that it ain't happening. The fans were soooo in on him, and than *POOF*, he was gone with no word to anybody. I just think that any kind of reunion would be too awkward.

Add to this the fact that would cost us the #20 pick to get him...

Agreed on Melky. Personally, I'd love it if he were back:

melky-cabrera1-540x310.jpg

but I don't see Posey/Bum/Bochy signing off on it. Dude slunk out of town without even addressing the team.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And curiously, you haven't been ripping yourself for giving up....hmmm.....:rollseyes:

Really, dude? Really?

Oh man if you STILL don't know what you did....you're gonna need a TEAM of psychiatrists.

:tsk: