• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Wisconsin vs. Arizona

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting this one off early...

Is there a line yet for this game?

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think by game time it will be close. Not sure if Arizona has the inside horse power to deal with Kiminski and Dekker. As we saw, Baylor was no match inside either. Johnson and Gordon are both going to have to play lights out for Arizona to win.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not gonna lie, I'm too familiar with Wisconsin. Any badger fans care to enlighten me on their strengths and weaknesses? Just trying to get an idea of what we're up against. They look solid.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not gonna lie, I'm too familiar with Wisconsin. Any badger fans care to enlighten me on their strengths and weaknesses? Just trying to get an idea of what we're up against. They look solid.

the biggest thing I'm scared of is their savvy. Brust PUMP FAKE, Kaminsky PUMP FAKE, Gasser PUMP FAKE. I can see AG and RHJ flying by these guys on multiple occasions as they calmly wait and then sink a 3.

That being said, Wisconsin is able to create open shooters because of penetration and great passing, but I think that is one area where we will be much better than any team they have faced up to this point.

Kaminsky worries me because of his ability to use multiple moves in the post and also step out and shoot the 3. But our interior defense is a lot more stout than Baylor's, and we play exclusively man to man so he won't find gaps the way he did last night.

Dekker, to be honest, has a nightmare matchup with both AG and RHJ covering him. Both are longer and more athletic, so I see him struggling in this one. I think Kaminsky is the biggest matchup problem, but Zeus just had one of his worst games because he got owned by the refs and so a bounceback game is likely.

Also I have seen big point guards back TJ down a few times this year, but to be honest Jackson's lack of a jumpshot could really hurt Wiscy. The teams that we have struggled against have been teams that have a point guard that can come off of pick and rolls and hit threes and mid range shots. It will be interesting to see how Jackson fits in. He is a good passer and showed that against baylor, but he literally had NO pressure on him all night. They sagged off and dared him to shoot, and it simply gave him open passing lanes to pick apart the zone.

Man I can't wait for this game!!!

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrific defense, good perimeter shooting,

Nah man, this is not even close to a terrific defensive team. If they were, with that offense, they would be the prohibitive favorites to cut down the nets this season.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no.1 seeds are 22-23 vs no.2 seeds in the elite8 since seeding began in 1979.....

average PPG scored in those games no.1 seed 75 points vs no.2 seed 74 points.....

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the biggest thing I'm scared of is their savvy. Brust PUMP FAKE, Kaminsky PUMP FAKE, Gasser PUMP FAKE. I can see AG and RHJ flying by these guys on multiple occasions as they calmly wait and then sink a 3.

That being said, Wisconsin is able to create open shooters because of penetration and great passing, but I think that is one area where we will be much better than any team they have faced up to this point.

Kaminsky worries me because of his ability to use multiple moves in the post and also step out and shoot the 3. But our interior defense is a lot more stout than Baylor's, and we play exclusively man to man so he won't find gaps the way he did last night.

Dekker, to be honest, has a nightmare matchup with both AG and RHJ covering him. Both are longer and more athletic, so I see him struggling in this one. I think Kaminsky is the biggest matchup problem, but Zeus just had one of his worst games because he got owned by the refs and so a bounceback game is likely.

Also I have seen big point guards back TJ down a few times this year, but to be honest Jackson's lack of a jumpshot could really hurt Wiscy. The teams that we have struggled against have been teams that have a point guard that can come off of pick and rolls and hit threes and mid range shots. It will be interesting to see how Jackson fits in. He is a good passer and showed that against baylor, but he literally had NO pressure on him all night. They sagged off and dared him to shoot, and it simply gave him open passing lanes to pick apart the zone.

I agree pretty much all around. Big Frank is going to have to play like a man inside, but he has the size advantage. I don't look for Dekker to score much against Gordon, but a timely 3 or two could go a long way, even if that's all he has. The way both teams played last night, I love our chances. Then again, we just played probably our best game of the season.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree pretty much all around. Big Frank is going to have to play like a man inside, but he has the size advantage. I don't look for Dekker to score much against Gordon, but a timely 3 or two could go a long way, even if that's all he has. The way both teams played last night, I love our chances. Then again, we just played probably our best game of the season.

Yes, and no. That SDSU team was a lot better than people give them credit for, and they had the perfect guy (Dwyane Polee) to slow down Nick Johnson. We won a game in which our best player and consensus 1st Team All-American had 0 points the first 37 minutes. If that should happen again, you are right we will not survive. It's just very unlikely. The matchup for NJ against your guards is much more traditional, with Gasser likely covering him. Gasser is a great defender but I like Nick's chances at having a bounce back game as well.

Also Kaminsky probably hasn't faced too many athletic 7 footers either, so it will be an interesting matchup down low.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, that's pretty much how it will go and I agree that Arron Gordon will be a tough draw for Sam Dekker. Both teams rely on their big men to carry the load without much relief. Tarszewski will have his hands full dealing with the stronger more skilled player in Kaminski. Gordon is the X factor and what's not to like about that as he is probably the most athletic big person on the court and will be able to help out inside and guard the smaller Dekker outside. Both teams shoot well from outside; just think Wisconsin has more talent there with Brust, Gasser and Jackson all shooting at 40 plus percent from beyond the arc.

I think this one is a pick-um and who ever gets hot will win. Right now, I leaning towards Wisconsin as I think Kaminski is just too big and too good and the only way to deal with him is to try and run Wisconsin off the court and as we saw with Oregon; that isn't easy.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Four things that most people don't appreciate about Wisconsin:

1. Frank Kaminsky may not be the strongest or nimblest big guy, but there's almost nobody who is as solid in both. He can work his way around the very muscular big guys, and work his way through the lanky big guys. He's a force who could very easily be a 1st Team All-American next year.

2. Sam Dekker is a freakish athlete. His shot has inexplicably regressed this year, but he can jump absurdly high and far. When he has space to run, he can attack going downhill. He's pretty much unstoppable in this mode. If he can ever figure out his shot, he could be the best player under Bo.

3. Speaking of great shooters, Josh Gasser is completely underappreciated. If he gets an open three, he makes it. He's the one guy I really trust to make clutch free throws. Between that and his defense, I think he's our #2 player.

4. Our guards are the best rebounding guards in America. All of them are capable of going off. Case in point: our three starting guards had 21 boards against the best rebounding team in America yesterday. I was really scared about the rebounding margin in that game, and we wound up dominating because their motor and awareness was unmatched.

I have us losing in the Elite Eight to you guys. I hope I am wrong. And after yesterday, I really like our chances to pull this off. We are a damn good team. Maybe I'm crazy, but I've gone from thinking that the Elite Eight would be nice to having visions of back-to-back titles.

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Four things that most people don't appreciate about Wisconsin:

1. Frank Kaminsky may not be the strongest or nimblest big guy, but there's almost nobody who is as solid in both. He can work his way around the very muscular big guys, and work his way through the lanky big guys. He's a force who could very easily be a 1st Team All-American next year.

2. Sam Dekker is a freakish athlete. His shot has inexplicably regressed this year, but he can jump absurdly high and far. When he has space to run, he can attack going downhill. He's pretty much unstoppable in this mode. If he can ever figure out his shot, he could be the best player under Bo.

3. Speaking of great shooters, Josh Gasser is completely underappreciated. If he gets an open three, he makes it. He's the one guy I really trust to make clutch free throws. Between that and his defense, I think he's our #2 player.

4. Our guards are the best rebounding guards in America. All of them are capable of going off. Case in point: our three starting guards had 21 boards against the best rebounding team in America yesterday. I was really scared about the rebounding margin in that game, and we wound up dominating because their motor and awareness was unmatched.

I have us losing in the Elite Eight to you guys. I hope I am wrong. And after yesterday, I really like our chances to pull this off. We are a damn good team. Maybe I'm crazy, but I've gone from thinking that the Elite Eight would be nice to having visions of back-to-back titles.

Only thing I disagree with. I love Gasser on the line at any point in the game, but in crunch time I want Traevon Jackson taking every free throw.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would warn against reading too much into Wisconsin winning big and Arizona squeaking by yesterday.

It is very rare for Nick Johnson to struggle to score.
It is quite rare (this season) for Kaleb to be in constant foul trouble.

To see both of those things happen together against one of the most physical stingy defenses in the nation.... and still come away with the win is incredible.

That said, Wisconsin is an incredibly formidable opponent. They are playing well together and as hot as any team out there. Should be a great game tomorrow.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a pretty interesting stat I just noticed that really illustrates the Offense vs Defense game this should be....

• In Adjusted Defensive Efficiency, Arizona is #1 and Wisconsin is #46.

In the past 12 games, Wisconsin has only faced 2 top-50 defenses (using AdjDE) and lost both games (#40 Mich St and #29 Nebraska).

• In Adjusted Offensive Efficiency, Wisconsin is #4, Arizona is #19.

In the past 12 games, Arizona has only faced 3 top-50 offenses (using AdjOE) and lost 2 of those games (beat #50 Gonzaga, lost to #11 Oregon and #12 UCLA).

(For both teams, these were the only games they lost in their last 12)

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a pretty interesting stat I just noticed that really illustrates the Offense vs Defense game this should be....

• In Adjusted Defensive Efficiency, Arizona is #1 and Wisconsin is #46.

In the past 12 games, Wisconsin has only faced 2 top-50 defenses (using AdjDE) and lost both games (#40 Mich St and #29 Nebraska).

• In Adjusted Offensive Efficiency, Wisconsin is #4, Arizona is #19.

In the past 12 games, Arizona has only faced 3 top-50 offenses (using AdjOE) and lost 2 of those games (beat #50 Gonzaga, lost to #11 Oregon and #12 UCLA).

(For both teams, these were the only games they lost in their last 12)

WE ARE GOING TO TIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CoolStoryBro

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no.1 seeds are 22-23 vs no.2 seeds in the elite8 since seeding began in 1979.....

average PPG scored in those games no.1 seed 75 points vs no.2 seed 74 points.....

That's a pretty cool stat.

Could AZ make it 23-23? Idk... Going to be a great game.

wiskyisgood12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect a close grind it out kind of game. I don't think Nick Johnson will struggle like he did last night. Both teams play similar defenses, so I'm interested in who attacks the defense best

I'm expecting this game to consistently be played within a 5 point range, I just don't know that either team really pulls away from the other. I don't think Arizona let's Kaminsky beat them, someone else needs to step up. Kaminsky has been surprising people with how athletic he is, I would be surprised if Arizona gets caught off guard by his athleticism. I have a feeling Josh Gasser is going to step up and play a big time game.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should be a great game and I could see it coming down to which team gets solid bench contributions.

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Weaknesses:
1.) Poor rebounding team and one of the worst in the big Ten
2.) FT shooting in the clutch
3.) Settling for threes when they could be more efficient inside
4.) Can be abused by powerful PF/C's inside
5.) Defense can be suspect at times.
6.) Struggle vs aggressive man defense that pressure them beyond the 3pt line.
Strengths:
1.) Don't beat themselves
2.) Can win in any facet, half court game, run and gun, defense, etc.
3.) Don't just rely on one/two players as in past: They have 6-8 players who can score double digits with 4.) that can take over games and 3 that are clutch
5.) Best all around team Badgers have had and best offensive team they've ever had (in the 15 years I have been watching.