• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wisconsin-Nebraska Breakdown 2012

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I go through the game unit by unit, I get:

QB: Slight Advantage Nebraska. Martinez is obviously an experienced starter who has had his moments of greatness. Stave is a new starter with potential, but has yet to prove anything. The only reason this isn't a heavy edge is that Martinez really struggled against our backers last year.

HB: Slight Advantage Wisconsin. If Montee Ball plays, we have the heavy edge here, but it is still a draw if he doesn't (I averaged the two). Melvin Gordon is, according to many, a top back who is stuck deep in the lineup. Nebraska has their own guy like that in Ameer Abdullah. James White is a proven #1 quality back whose career stats show that he is on the same plain as Burkhead talentwise. Montee gives us the edge for obvious reasons.

Receivers: Slight Advantage Nebraska. I had a tough time picking this one. Jared Abbredaris is the best receiver in the game, but Wisconsin's other receivers are inexperienced and have struggled to get open. Nebraska's WRs have had drop issues whenever I watch their games, but they get a separation that Wisconsin's non-Abbredaris receivers can only dream of. The last one was close and I gave it to us, so i'll give this one to the Huskers.

O-Line: Even. Both teams have seen their offensive lines struggle. Nebraska has dominated the weaker competition, but had major struggles against UCLA. Our line has been worse overall this year, but showed some positive signs last week. With a new coach, i'm banking on some improvement here.

D-Line: Slight Advantage Nebraska. Wisconsin's D-Line has been much improved from a year ago, getting a fair amount of heat and not making any bad mistakes. Nebraska had a rough effort against UCLA, but has gotten enough pressure in the other games to record 55 TFLs and Sacks in four games. Guys like Martin and Ankrah get more pressure than any Wisconsin DEs, so Nebraska gets the edge.

Linebackers: Heavy Edge Wisconsin. Borland and Taylor are an omnipresence, the two best defensive players on either team. They make their presence felt for sixty minutes, wrapping up an absurd amount of tackles and repeatedly limiting plays to less than a few yards. Will Compton is a good linebacker, but not as good as those two, and his sidekicks aren't remotely in the same league.

Secondary: Slight Edge Nebraska. I thought their secondary looked pretty questionable against UCLA, but they did pick up their act late. The rest of the time, their stats make it clear that they have been a more effective pass defense than we are. Wisconsin has one very good secondary player (Shelton Johnson) and a pretty damn good one (Devin Smith), but the other two players are risky but mistake-prone. The results have been more than 900 passing yards allowed, including 1 YPA more than Nebraska.

Special Teams: Heavy Edge Nebraska. Both teams have capable return guys (Kenzel Doe & Jared Abbredaris, Ameer Abdullah & Kenny Bell). However, Nebraska has a great special teams guy (Maher, even if he has struggled a bit) while Wisconsin has Freshmen at kicker and punter. Wisconsin also a long history of special teams fuckups the last few years. Nebraska has given up a kick return TD, but they still have the advantage.

Coaching: Slight Edge Nebraska. Bielema the master motivator is still there, but Paul Chryst, the offensive genius, has moved on and his replacement, Matt Canada is struggling. Combined with a defense that lacks a true lead coach, there have been issues in Madison. Pelini's era has been characterized by solid but unspectacular teams. His teams have struggled in big games, but normally without the mental and minute mistakes that have killed the Badgers.

Prediction: 27-24 Nebraska. Nebraska scores 17 points early before the Wisconsin linebackers exude their will much like last year. Melvin Gordon and James White lead the Badgers back and tie the game with a few minutes left. However, the Huskers have a decent drive down the field and Maher hits a 44 yarder for the win as time expires to satisfy the thoroughly well behaved audience.

rolltide14_0

~V--I--P~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,833.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking Nebraska by 2 td's. Wisconsin just looks painfully bad.

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I go through the game unit by unit, I get:

QB: Slight Advantage Nebraska. Martinez is obviously an experienced starter who has had his moments of greatness. Stave is a new starter with potential, but has yet to prove anything. The only reason this isn't a heavy edge is that Martinez really struggled against our backers last year.

HB: Slight Advantage Wisconsin. If Montee Ball plays, we have the heavy edge here, but it is still a draw if he doesn't (I averaged the two). Melvin Gordon is, according to many, a top back who is stuck deep in the lineup. Nebraska has their own guy like that in Ameer Abdullah. James White is a proven #1 quality back whose career stats show that he is on the same plain as Burkhead talentwise. Montee gives us the edge for obvious reasons.

Receivers: Slight Advantage Nebraska. I had a tough time picking this one. Jared Abbredaris is the best receiver in the game, but Wisconsin's other receivers are inexperienced and have struggled to get open. Nebraska's WRs have had drop issues whenever I watch their games, but they get a separation that Wisconsin's non-Abbredaris receivers can only dream of. The last one was close and I gave it to us, so i'll give this one to the Huskers.

O-Line: Even. Both teams have seen their offensive lines struggle. Nebraska has dominated the weaker competition, but had major struggles against UCLA. Our line has been worse overall this year, but showed some positive signs last week. With a new coach, i'm banking on some improvement here.

D-Line: Slight Advantage Nebraska. Wisconsin's D-Line has been much improved from a year ago, getting a fair amount of heat and not making any bad mistakes. Nebraska had a rough effort against UCLA, but has gotten enough pressure in the other games to record 55 TFLs and Sacks in four games. Guys like Martin and Ankrah get more pressure than any Wisconsin DEs, so Nebraska gets the edge.

Linebackers: Heavy Edge Wisconsin. Borland and Taylor are an omnipresence, the two best defensive players on either team. They make their presence felt for sixty minutes, wrapping up an absurd amount of tackles and repeatedly limiting plays to less than a few yards. Will Compton is a good linebacker, but not as good as those two, and his sidekicks aren't remotely in the same league.

Secondary: Slight Edge Nebraska. I thought their secondary looked pretty questionable against UCLA, but they did pick up their act late. The rest of the time, their stats make it clear that they have been a more effective pass defense than we are. Wisconsin has one very good secondary player (Shelton Johnson) and a pretty damn good one (Devin Smith), but the other two players are risky but mistake-prone. The results have been more than 900 passing yards allowed, including 1 YPA more than Nebraska.

Special Teams: Heavy Edge Nebraska. Both teams have capable return guys (Kenzel Doe & Jared Abbredaris, Ameer Abdullah & Kenny Bell). However, Nebraska has a great special teams guy (Maher, even if he has struggled a bit) while Wisconsin has Freshmen at kicker and punter. Wisconsin also a long history of special teams fuckups the last few years. Nebraska has given up a kick return TD, but they still have the advantage.

Coaching: Slight Edge Nebraska. Bielema the master motivator is still there, but Paul Chryst, the offensive genius, has moved on and his replacement, Matt Canada is struggling. Combined with a defense that lacks a true lead coach, there have been issues in Madison. Pelini's era has been characterized by solid but unspectacular teams. His teams have struggled in big games, but normally without the mental and minute mistakes that have killed the Badgers.

Prediction: 27-24 Nebraska. Nebraska scores 17 points early before the Wisconsin linebackers exude their will much like last year. Melvin Gordon and James White lead the Badgers back and tie the game with a few minutes left. However, the Huskers have a decent drive down the field and Maher hits a 44 yarder for the win as time expires to satisfy the thoroughly well behaved audience.

Better not be. I want women punched, cars over turned and Herbstreit pissed on while Brent has a beer in the limo.

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are they even doing the game?

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, sir. they will be in Lansing for tOSU and Meatchicken state

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
smart, appreicate your analysis. It seems very unbiased.

I think Burkhead, Cross, and Ameer will give Nebraska a slight edge there. However, no way in hell is the lines of Wisky worse than Nebraska.

Nebraska wins a shootout. 42-39

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am still forming my analysis and don't know yet whether I will predict a win or a loss for Nebraska.........

Like I said after the UCLA game, I'm skeptical as hell..........

I think Oregon State beating UCLA (and doing it fairly easily really) is a good indicator that Nebraska and Wisconsin are not far off from each other.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska has the ability to heal all of Wisconsin's woes in one night. Even make them appear as world beaters en sech.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure who I'll pick at this point either.

I will say Montee Ball playing or not won't be a factor in my decision.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You gonna be there Smart?

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
brasky..u see my post in that thread you created?

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My concerns really are about 90% due to the inconsistencies that we've dealt with as this coaching staff continues to grow, and about 10% due to the fact that our Rushing attack has not been tested yet this season, and will be tested Saturday.

If Beck decides to come out and try to establish the run early on in the game, and Wisconsin shuts it straight down, we're gonna be in trouble. Every time we've been down that avenue the alarms begin sounding about half way through the first quarter.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska has the potential to win in a blowout. I can't see Wisconsin getting 20 points. Nebraska could reach 40.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska is going to dot Wisky by at least 30.

If this happens, it means Nebraska has improved a ton since the UCLA game and I would be absolutely shocked out of my mind.

UCLA beat Nebraska 36-30 two weeks ago.
Oregon State beat Wisconsin 10-7 two weeks ago.

Oregon State beat UCLA 27-20 this week.

Do ye see the drawing I'm a paintin' up here?

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You gonna be there Smart?

No. I do get the consolation of seeing a certain former Badger quarterback tear apart the Rams, though.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I don't think White or Gordon have shown any more burst through the holes than Ball, even if they are faster running downhill in open grass. Ball on the other hand can shed tackles, and personally I haven't seen James White hit the juke button on Montee's level in two years. I think it absolutely matters, because the improvements in the offensive line won't look as pronounced against Nebraska...especially with the crowd noise. White and Gordon are going to have to fight for yards.

Defensively, the Badgers are a lot faster than people realize. Borland was a 4.4 guy when he was recruited, Taylor and Armstrong were both sub 4.7 I believe, and they all play pretty damn fast sideline to sideline in pads. But you know, there isn't anything they can do about if Martinez finds open field and gets loose. I see us giving up 3 or 4 big plays partly resulting from busted coverage and partly due to our DE's getting owned.

On the plus side, there hasn't been anyone in D1 football yet who can keep Abbredaris from getting WIDE open every other down. He is probably the most underrated player in the league right now because he's small. He's like Wes Welker Junior only faster. All this talk about the Badgers improving and nobody mentioned the two bombs thrown to Abby. That guy is the difference maker. If Stave can find him, we have a shot. If the line let's Stave get steamrolled, and he can't find Abby, we're probably done, not going to have the big plays to stay in it.

Last edited by a moderator: