• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wisconsin goes down to Northwestern

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still the best college basketball game I've ever watched. I was an Illinois fan at the time, that game was insane.

haha, we will agree to disagree on this one. although i very much agree with your name

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So when B1G teams go 13-0 (OSU), 13-0 (WISC), 11-1 (MSU), 11-2 (IOWA), 11-2 (MINN), 11-2 (ILL) in nonconference play (you know the games that tell you how strong a conference is compared to other conferences) that doesn't tell you that the B1G is strong, but when B1G teams lose to other B1G teams it must mean the conference is weak?

Yeah there are a couple of teams playing poorly right now. I'm guessing you didn't know that Wisconsin's losses to Michigan and Minnesota came when the entire team had food poisoning. Sam Dekker lost 15 pounds in less than a week, and Bronson Koenig had to leave the gym during the middle of the Michigan game. Their performance against Northwestern was pathetic, you won't get any argument from me there.

A) don't defend OSU, their week OOC schedule is why they have been exposed as a fraud, just like baylor's. Illinois can certainly be lumped in there (their best nonconference win was Missouri) and Minnesota's best was against Florida State.
B) My point was that, while you have ELITE teams at the top (MSU and Michigan), many (including myself) thought you had elite teams from 3-5 as well. That's not the case

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Las Vegas-based Pregame.com (the largest sports betting support website compliant under United States law):

"...the odds for the game have Wisconsin as a heavy favorite at home in this one. ... should we expect the Badgers to win by more than 30 tonight? That's probably too much to ask...Free Pick: Wisconsin 71, Northwestern 59"

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A) don't defend OSU, their week OOC schedule is why they have been exposed as a fraud, just like baylor's. Illinois can certainly be lumped in there (their best nonconference win was Missouri) and Minnesota's best was against Florida State.
B) My point was that, while you have ELITE teams at the top (MSU and Michigan), many (including myself) thought you had elite teams from 3-5 as well. That's not the case

I guess it depends on your definition of elite. I dont think its fair to say that Iowa has no shot of being elite yet. Losses to MSU, Nova, ISU, Michigan and Wisky with 4 of them coming on the road or neutral and holding late leads in all but one of them. The team certainly has the potential to be a Elite 8 caliber team, not sure if youd call that elite or not ( I would ). We will know more on them after the next 10 games. Also I would sell out completely on Wisconsin yet. Badgers are not playing well but teams hit lulls, even GREAT teams do ( ie Louisville dropping 3 in a row last year ). Im not putting the Badgers on that level clearly but I still believe they can be a S16/Elite 8 type team if the gain and refocus. OSU ( much like I thought all year ) simply doesnt have the scoring necessary to make a super deep run but IF things fell right they are still capable of a S16. To me the B10 still has 5 teams that are S16 caliber if things went right. Clearly not all of them will probably make it that far but the talent is there. Theyd need some help as do most teams but the ONLY other league I see with 5 teams capable of making a S16 is the B12.

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like you're always "short-handed." So what makes you think that trend won't continue? Rather just assume that you'll have x and y to make z happen against a and b on c date and time. How about win and take credit for that instead of stating what might or could have been and what may happen.

That is the right question to answer:

First, our starting point guard (our Trey Burke) who runs our team and literally determines how good Florida is was suspended for the first 5 games. He is also one of our leading scorers. This was a self-imposed suspension (not NCAA) and Billy could have let him play but wanted to send a message. Unless he goes out and breaks rules again (which given he is a Sr. I doubt that) he will be here for the long-term.

Second, a big part of our team is a transfer from Virginia Tech named Finley-Smith. He was also suspended for violating team rules to start the season and has since been cleared to play AFTER the Wisky game.

So two of our double digit scorers and team leaders were self-imposed suspensions and you have to respect Billy for it... because most schools would have lifted the suspension for the Wisky game, but he refused and even before the game said we weren't a top 15 team without them and they would have the learn their lesson the hard way.

Then, Will Yeguete had an injured knee, Michael Frazier had mono and was allowed to play but looked slow and lethargic, and Eli Carter was also injured but forced into action (and he rarely plays... I don't think I have seen him play in a game all year other than the last 1-2 mins once the game is over).

Add to that, we had no point guard... so we had a true freshman named Casey Hill and Devon Walker running the point. Walker is more of a small forward.. and has a 7'2" wing span and really struggled even running the point. We couldn't get into set plays... it was painful to watch.

And finally, true freshman Chris Walker was not on the team yet... he was academically ineligible in the fall, and joined the team in January and will be a NBA lottery pick this year and is likely a one and done. He makes his debut Tuesday night against Mizz.

So are you can see... a lot has changed since that Wisky game... and 2 of the 3 players that were suspended are back and doing fine (the other was kicked off the team... and he has since worked his way back on the team for the 2014 season).

Our ex-team manager Jacob Kurtz and walk on (reminds me of Rudy..works hard but just doesn't have the skill to compete at the bigtime D1 level but Billy rewarded him with a spot on the team because of his dedication and hard work) played 21 mins in the Wisky game. Since the starters are back, he gets a min or two here and there at the end of the half or end of the game (or if the game is a blowout), but he rarely plays any significant time and once Chris Walker is playing, it will get even more limited.

We have 5 guys who average in double figures - 2 of them were out for that Wisky game and replaced by inexperienced players who average between 1.8 and 3 pts per game (and that is usually in mop up action).

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duke Basketball Report:

Like David Cutcliffe with Duke football, Collins is making people believe. And they should: check out what the Wildcats have done recently:

Northwestern 49 Illinois 43
Northwestern 54 Indiana 47
Northwestern 63 Purdue 60 2 OT
Northwestern 65 Wisconsin 56
There were two losses to Michigan State and Iowa but not surprising ones. The wins are the surprise

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duke Basketball Report:

Like David Cutcliffe with Duke football, Collins is making people believe. And they should: check out what the Wildcats have done recently:

Northwestern 49 Illinois 43
Northwestern 54 Indiana 47
Northwestern 63 Purdue 60 2 OT
Northwestern 65 Wisconsin 56
There were two losses to Michigan State and Iowa but not surprising ones. The wins are the surprise

Go Cats! About time I get something to root for as an alumni... :P

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
52ea3b6f8bc00.preview-620.jpg

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
) and Minnesota's best was against Florida State.

Have you seen FSU play this year? They have a pair of centers 7'1" and 7'3" that are scary looking. If they start to play well, I can see them making a serious run next year.

Ojo specifically... 7'1" and 300lbs... but he isn't fat, he is ripped. Made Patrick Young look like a girl standing next to him.

Definitely a team to watch over the next 18 months...

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it depends on your definition of elite. I dont think its fair to say that Iowa has no shot of being elite yet. Losses to MSU, Nova, ISU, Michigan and Wisky with 4 of them coming on the road or neutral and holding late leads in all but one of them. The team certainly has the potential to be a Elite 8 caliber team, not sure if youd call that elite or not ( I would ). We will know more on them after the next 10 games. Also I would sell out completely on Wisconsin yet. Badgers are not playing well but teams hit lulls, even GREAT teams do ( ie Louisville dropping 3 in a row last year ). Im not putting the Badgers on that level clearly but I still believe they can be a S16/Elite 8 type team if the gain and refocus. OSU ( much like I thought all year ) simply doesnt have the scoring necessary to make a super deep run but IF things fell right they are still capable of a S16. To me the B10 still has 5 teams that are S16 caliber if things went right. Clearly not all of them will probably make it that far but the talent is there. Theyd need some help as do most teams but the ONLY other league I see with 5 teams capable of making a S16 is the B12.

you make lots of good points, and keep in mind that just because I think they are not as deep as I previously thought, that doesn't mean that I think the conference is anything but the best in the country. It is clearly the B10 and then everyone else. But I thought there was a much larger gap at the beginning of the season and I don't feel it's that big anymore.

but teams that a) can't score (OSU) and b) can't defend (Wisky) are not elite, and have no chance to be.

And I'll be honest, when I say elite I am talking "can win the national championship". I am sorry but for all the talent you have in Iowa I truly do not believe you are good enough to win it all. And, to be honest, I don't think Michigan can either. That leaves one Elite team in your conference, just like in the Big 12, Pac 12, ACC, and (for now because Kentucky isn't there yet) SEC. I see zero teams from the AAC and the Big East that I think can win the national championship, too.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you seen FSU play this year? They have a pair of centers 7'1" and 7'3" that are scary looking. If they start to play well, I can see them making a serious run next year.

Ojo specifically... 7'1" and 300lbs... but he isn't fat, he is ripped. Made Patrick Young look like a girl standing next to him.

Definitely a team to watch over the next 18 months...

wow, that really helps your argument...HUH???????

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh and also YES, i have seen them play this year.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is the right question to answer:

First, our starting point guard (our Trey Burke) who runs our team and literally determines how good Florida is was suspended for the first 5 games. He is also one of our leading scorers. This was a self-imposed suspension (not NCAA) and Billy could have let him play but wanted to send a message. Unless he goes out and breaks rules again (which given he is a Sr. I doubt that) he will be here for the long-term.

Second, a big part of our team is a transfer from Virginia Tech named Finley-Smith. He was also suspended for violating team rules to start the season and has since been cleared to play AFTER the Wisky game.

So two of our double digit scorers and team leaders were self-imposed suspensions and you have to respect Billy for it... because most schools would have lifted the suspension for the Wisky game, but he refused and even before the game said we weren't a top 15 team without them and they would have the learn their lesson the hard way.

Then, Will Yeguete had an injured knee, Michael Frazier had mono and was allowed to play but looked slow and lethargic, and Eli Carter was also injured but forced into action (and he rarely plays... I don't think I have seen him play in a game all year other than the last 1-2 mins once the game is over).

Add to that, we had no point guard... so we had a true freshman named Casey Hill and Devon Walker running the point. Walker is more of a small forward.. and has a 7'2" wing span and really struggled even running the point. We couldn't get into set plays... it was painful to watch.

And finally, true freshman Chris Walker was not on the team yet... he was academically ineligible in the fall, and joined the team in January and will be a NBA lottery pick this year and is likely a one and done. He makes his debut Tuesday night against Mizz.

So are you can see... a lot has changed since that Wisky game... and 2 of the 3 players that were suspended are back and doing fine (the other was kicked off the team... and he has since worked his way back on the team for the 2014 season).

Our ex-team manager Jacob Kurtz and walk on (reminds me of Rudy..works hard but just doesn't have the skill to compete at the bigtime D1 level but Billy rewarded him with a spot on the team because of his dedication and hard work) played 21 mins in the Wisky game. Since the starters are back, he gets a min or two here and there at the end of the half or end of the game (or if the game is a blowout), but he rarely plays any significant time and once Chris Walker is playing, it will get even more limited.

We have 5 guys who average in double figures - 2 of them were out for that Wisky game and replaced by inexperienced players who average between 1.8 and 3 pts per game (and that is usually in mop up action).

Sorry, couldn't get past, "our Trey Burke" without a chuckle. Shit, we don't even HAVE one of those. :laugh3:

I think you meant PG.

Well, I hope that chemistry gels overnight, everyone comes back 100%, no one else is injured or has reoccurring injuries, all keep their noses clean and your plan comes to fruition. :D

All bullshit aside, I know Florida is dangerous and a legit 1-2 seed. Good luck in the Tourney. :suds:

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you make lots of good points, and keep in mind that just because I think they are not as deep as I previously thought, that doesn't mean that I think the conference is anything but the best in the country. It is clearly the B10 and then everyone else. But I thought there was a much larger gap at the beginning of the season and I don't feel it's that big anymore.

but teams that a) can't score (OSU) and b) can't defend (Wisky) are not elite, and have no chance to be.

And I'll be honest, when I say elite I am talking "can win the national championship". I am sorry but for all the talent you have in Iowa I truly do not believe you are good enough to win it all. And, to be honest, I don't think Michigan can either. That leaves one Elite team in your conference, just like in the Big 12, Pac 12, ACC, and (for now because Kentucky isn't there yet) SEC. I see zero teams from the AAC and the Big East that I think can win the national championship, too.

Fair enough, I figured it was something like that. I tend to think of elite as a team that can make a deep run which to me means S16 or Elite 8 but I can see your point.

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
since Northwestern and Wisconsin first played each other a month ago, Northwestern has won four games (Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Wisconsin), while Wisconsin has only won three (Iowa, Illinois, Purdue)

during the same time both team have lost four games. Wisconsin to Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, and Northwestern. Northwestern's four losses were only to the top three teams in the Big 10: Michigan, Michigan State, and twice to Iowa

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go Cats! About time I get something to root for as an alumni... :P

having season tickets for their ftball team was a complete bust this yr after the ohio st game

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only once in the history of the NCAA Tournament have all four #1 seeds made the Final Four. So I think everyone's definition of "elite" and what teams have a chance to win it all, will vary. As far as we know the current projected #1 seeds could all be #2 seeds on Selection Sunday or lose in the Round of 32. I'm not ready to label any team elite but I do think Arizona and Michigan State have the best chances to land in the NCG.

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow, that really helps your argument...HUH???????

I am not following? I was impressed with the size of those players... doesn't mean they are any good this year... but I could see them making a push next year (which is why I mentioned NEXT year).

Am I missing something? How does that help my argument for this year exactly?

And I hate FSU with a passion.. so don't think I would WANT them to be successful. Just have to acknowledge the big guy from Africa. Not even sure how long he has been playing ball...

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
having season tickets for their ftball team was a complete bust this yr after the ohio st game

Be thankful you live close enough to have them....

I moved for work and live in NW Arkansas so I am a long way from both Northwestern and Florida...

All I get to hear is them Call the Hogs around here... which honestly has to be the weirdest and most uncomfortable chant in all of college...