• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Winning Pitcher Illogic

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am usually someone who doesnt mind changing things... but this is not something i would change... there are plenty of stats out their that measure production... and no stat alone is a good measurement for anything besides what the stat measures...

IMO, W/L measure the IT factor... there are those who just find ways to win, and others that just find ways to lose... and using the same qualifications is more important to me than the actual results of the stat...
The original point was a relief pitcher who gives up multiple runs after the starting pitcher threw a shutout for 8 innings. Even though the relief allowed the opponent to tie or take the lead, he gets the win when his team rallies in the bottom half of the last inning.
That , I suppose is finding a way to win.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The original point was a relief pitcher who gives up multiple runs after the starting pitcher threw a shutout for 8 innings. Even though the relief allowed the opponent to tie or take the lead, he gets the win when his team rallies in the bottom half of the last inning.
That , I suppose is finding a way to win.

Problem is that if you make it subjective then someone who deserves a win may not get the win.

Sure it sucks when a sp dominates and the bullpen gives him a no decision. But don’t forget that there are other stats out there to show how dominant he was. I feel like some of us are too focused on deserving and undeserving. It’s just another stat that is all.

But simplicity of a stat is more important than. W/L are simply given to the first pitcher that leaves the game with the final outcome. I guess the only arbitrary part of the rule is that the SP and only the SP has to go at least 5 innings. I’d probably be ok with taking that part out of the rule. Either that or just keep the W/L decision to starting pitchers

There are a few things we know for truth

1. Owners will find any stat to focus on to pay a player as little as possible.
2. Players will use any stat to focus on to demand their best contract.
3. Fans will use any stat to make the point they are trying to make.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is that if you make it subjective then someone who deserves a win may not get the win.

Sure it sucks when a sp dominates and the bullpen gives him a no decision. But don’t forget that there are other stats out there to show how dominant he was. I feel like some of us are too focused on deserving and undeserving. It’s just another stat that is all.

But simplicity of a stat is more important than. W/L are simply given to the first pitcher that leaves the game with the final outcome. I guess the only arbitrary part of the rule is that the SP and only the SP has to go at least 5 innings. I’d probably be ok with taking that part out of the rule. Either that or just keep the W/L decision to starting pitchers

There are a few things we know for truth

1. Owners will find any stat to focus on to pay a player as little as possible.
2. Players will use any stat to focus on to demand their best contract.
3. Fans will use any stat to make the point they are trying to make.
There are so many things that are subjective beside the 5 inning rule. The most obvious is the official scorer's award a hit or an error. Perfect games and no-hitters have been influenced by official scores and umpires mistakes.
Certainly, in the case of a reliefer who come in with a lead then gives up the lead should not get the win if his team takes the lead and wins the game. If not giving the win to the starter then maybe the win should be a Team win rather than awarding it to the guy who totally failed in his job.