• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Windows Scam

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After years of hearing about these phone scams, I finally got one of these calls.

Basically it starts out with an unrecognized cell number with no ID other than cell phone call[562-719-5197] calling me at 8pm. I didn't recognize the area code, but seeing as I have family all over the place & it was kinda late at night, I decide to answer it. On the other end of the line is what sounds like a young Indian/Pakistani woman...

Me: Hello.

Caller: Is this Mike?

Me: Yes

Caller: I am from Microsoft windows support calling about errors we are receiving from windows.

Me: Okay.

Caller: These errors are saying you have trojans on your PC.

Me: Damn, you sound sexy. What are you wearing? Maybe we can get together and use all these trojans I have...

Caller: Goodbye. [Hangs up]

I couldn't stop laughing. I reported what little information I had to Microsoft & thought I would also share with the hoop.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always ask them how my Windows PC can be having errors since I'm on Linux... :D (Well, most of the time anyway...)

Or I ask them which one, the Linux laptop (which is only used on the road), the home built Linux system, the refurbished Acer with Linux or the Windows 10 system which I built and isn't currently booted up?

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always ask them how my Windows PC can be having errors since I'm on Linux... :D (Well, most of the time anyway...)

Or I ask them which one, the Linux laptop (which is only used on the road), the home built Linux system, the refurbished Acer with Linux or the Windows 10 system which I built and isn't currently booted up?

Careful KS, Ubuntu is coming to Windows 10.... you will be able to run linux binaries from a bash shell in Windows 10 soon.

Run Bash on Ubuntu on Windows

When did hell freeze over? Developers will be happy, most windows users won't care/notice... Me? I'm a bit leary. As of recently, I do not leave Samba running on my linux boxes like I used to. I manually start and stop it as I need it. I'm trying my best to isolate the lone windows 10 machine on my network.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Careful KS, Ubuntu is coming to Windows 10.... you will be able to run linux binaries from a bash shell in Windows 10 soon.

Run Bash on Ubuntu on Windows

When did hell freeze over? Developers will be happy, most windows users won't care/notice... Me? I'm a bit leary. As of recently, I do not leave Samba running on my linux boxes like I used to. I manually start and stop it as I need it. I'm trying my best to isolate the lone windows 10 machine on my network.
Yeah I saw that, won't mean anything to the average Windows user though.

I understand about Samba especially with the newest ransomware able to access network drives, even those not mapped. Still I keep a copy of all really important data on a removable USB drive (a 500 Gbyte is more than sufficient) and I can plug into either the Windows or Linux (NTFS formatted) machine if I need to recover the data. You can turn on remote desktop in Windows and use Remmina from Linux to use the Windows machine, not exactly file sharing but you can get the data to the clipboard to copy it over.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so your PC really doesn't have viruses?

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so your PC really doesn't have viruses?

No, but I detected a virus in your parcel of text though... you may be in danger. If you run the program "Team Viewer" and give me the password I can fix it remotely for you.

It'll only cost you three bitcoins.

*** This offer only valid for Oregon Grads ***

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After years of hearing about these phone scams, I finally got one of these calls.

Basically it starts out with an unrecognized cell number with no ID other than cell phone call[562-719-5197] calling me at 8pm. I didn't recognize the area code, but seeing as I have family all over the place & it was kinda late at night, I decide to answer it. On the other end of the line is what sounds like a young Indian/Pakistani woman...

Caller: I am from Microsoft windows support calling about errors we are receiving from windows.

Me: Damn, you sound sexy. What are you wearing? Maybe we can get together and use all these trojans I have...

I couldn't stop laughing. I reported what little information I had to Microsoft & thought I would also share with the hoop.

I've gotten a couple of these calls. I like to see how long I can string them along by playing naive, last one was about 15 minutes. If I get another call from them I'm shooting for a hour.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnux4Po25XHZOVHpgQP6_XFRoP1bga9Seaxuhvp__6rgIH8-PK.jpg

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just start yelling "fuck you" and "fuck off" into the phone, and any racial slurs I can come up with.

That usually does the trick.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just start yelling "fuck you" and "fuck off" into the phone, and any racial slurs I can come up with.

That usually does the trick.

I've often called them Pakistani scam artist and threaten to call the feds, they deny its a scam then quickly hang up. I hope I'm not offending any Pakistani people here on the hoop.

Bamabino

No Limit Holdem Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was in the Hoop political forum early yesterday afternoon when a window popped up on me that claimed my computer had been blocked from the internet. I could not click out of the window. It had a microsoftblahblah in the address window. It was a full page of blahblah but gave a phone # to call saying they would walk me through the steps to get back online but I had to call within 5 minutes. I used my task manager to close out the window, rebooted, and ran my malwarebytes virus software which indicated no infected files found. Everything has been fine since. Has anyone else encountered this scam?

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was in the Hoop political forum early yesterday afternoon when a window popped up on me that claimed my computer had been blocked from the internet. I could not click out of the window. It had a microsoftblahblah in the address window. It was a full page of blahblah but gave a phone # to call saying they would walk me through the steps to get back online but I had to call within 5 minutes. I used my task manager to close out the window, rebooted, and ran my malwarebytes virus software which indicated no infected files found. Everything has been fine since. Has anyone else encountered this scam?

I have twice. I did exactly what you did. The browser locked up and closed it out using task manger. No issues found. Morons call that number.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, sure have...I just shut down, rebooted, ran my virus scan...

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, same exact this happened to me. I controlled alt deleted and ran my security software and it said no viruses. Definitely a scam, when I typed the number into Google it came up with all Chinese Characters for that phone number.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've often called them Pakistani scam artist and threaten to call the feds, they deny its a scam then quickly hang up. I hope I'm not offending any Pakistani people here on the hoop.
if you Google the phone number they provided it comes up with all Chinese Characters in the search. Cocksuckers.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm surprised that the woman said Microsoft. The one dude who tried running that scam on me wouldn't say he was from Microsoft, just Windows.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, the worst part after that crap is when you reboot your comp praying its still working ok :nod: As soon as it all boots up, its like a thousand pounds lifted from you :lol: