• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

windows 10 shutting down

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
after the latest updates, when i leave my computer it straight shut down

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I take it the PC is booting into Windows 10 with no problems, it's just later that the PC shuts down? If so, look for device driver updates on the manufacturer's site. A lot of times old drivers can cause problems after Windows security updates. Happened to me with my nVidia card recently. Also whenever possible get hardware updates from the manufacturer and not Windows (included in updates since Windows 7) as are they are more recent and in some cases necessary due to manufacturer's proprietary tweaks to standard drivers.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I take it the PC is booting into Windows 10 with no problems, it's just later that the PC shuts down? If so, look for device driver updates on the manufacturer's site. A lot of times old drivers can cause problems after Windows security updates. Happened to me with my nVidia card recently. Also whenever possible get hardware updates from the manufacturer and not Windows (included in updates since Windows 7) as are they are more recent and in some cases necessary due to manufacturer's proprietary tweaks to standard drivers.
how do i check for driver updates?

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how do i check for driver updates?
Depends on who made the computer. HP has a program (that may or may not be available in Windows 10). Dell has a support site, as do most of the major manufacturers. Just go to their website and usually click on support and it will eventually lead you to the driver updates. If you have a home made or other non-major computer you may have to check the device driver section of Windows and go to each manufacturer's site (a la nVidia in my case) and look for updates. Most will ask to scan your system to find your hardware for available updates. For motherboards this may involve updating the BIOS, play close attention to the instructions given in this case. In some cases Windows will not identify the manufacturer of a device but instead just list the generic driver. That is a whole different issue as it will involve opening the PC case and finding out what parts you have.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i went on the side and downloaded the driver update things, it says not supported by my system

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i went on the side and downloaded the driver update things, it says not supported by my system
Then you need to go to device drivers and see if you can roll back to a previous driver as a last resort. That is if you know which piece of hardware is causing the problem, my experience has been either a video or sound card driver. One thing I have had good luck with though on Windows 7 was just booting into safe mode as it seemed to resolve some driver issues. To do this in Windows 10 though will require a Windows recovery disk or changing the boot options in Windows 10 to force a restart into safe mode. If nothing else do a system restore back to the previous updates and see what happens (Windows will always make a restore point for this).

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@SteelersPride One thing I should have asked, was this the latest security update or was it the anniversary update? If the latter and if it has been less than ten days you can roll back to the prior version of Windows 10 using the settings options. Then look for any device driver updates (though probably not from Lenovo, you may have to really dig to find them but do not go to any sites that offer "free device drivers" as they are scams and maybe infected with virus files).

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thanks for your help, it was a recent security update

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
today it seems ok, lets hope something i did helped, again, thanks!