• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will Your Team Fuck Up the Draft?

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.. Thing is we wouldn't be able to afford an early pick on a qb this year anyway. I'd love to see us get one later in the draft & cultivate him. Like I said though, we can't whiff on anything.

That is the position the Titans are in too; literally the first five picks have got to be 2013 starters. We don't need "potential" we need fucking NFL starters. If I were running the draft, I'd take best available at OL and DL. On the OL we need a G and LT. And I'd looooooooooooooooove if we got Mingo at #10 or some other beastly, freakish DE to come in and sack the shit outta the QB. My gawd, you have no idea how I lust after our DL or yesteryear; Albert Haynesworth shoving dudes around, with the Freak and Kyle Vanden Bosch exploding off the edges.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's frustrating to see when you're a fan of the team and feel like you could do better than the billionaire who owns the team. How can that be?

I would be so ultra-conservative in the draft that I think over time it would pay off and allow me to go after high-profile free agents like QB, WR and CB. I'd always trade away a top 5 pick and draft OL and DL in the first rounds until I had a new Fearsom Foursome and then move to LB, FS and CB in that order unless there was an irresistible talent available.

It's not the sexy thing to do but it's the right thing to do. If you get a solid o-line intact, pretty much every finesse position becomes interchangeable. As long as the QB is protected everything will fall into place.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not the sexy thing to do but it's the right thing to do. If you get a solid o-line intact, pretty much every finesse position becomes interchangeable. As long as the QB is protected everything will fall into place.

Would you please send this is memo form to the Titans war room before tonight's draft? I don't think it's a concept they've considered before. :frusty:

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone idea WTF Mort is saying here? :scratch:

Last edited by a moderator:

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All mort had to do is leave the word "plus" out of that tweet & it would have made perfect sense to me.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Steelers don't manage a decent trade down, it's a fail.

Really? Outta #17? :scratch: Why do you say that?

Things are gettin' fired up. I'm super excited.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably.

LeaderOCola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? Outta #17? :scratch: Why do you say that?

Things are gettin' fired up. I'm super excited.

because they need more than 8 players, especially since not every one of them will 'hit'

also, I think the BPA there @ 17 on their board will still be available at 22/23

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
because they need more than 8 players, especially since not every one of them will 'hit'

also, I think the BPA there @ 17 on their board will still be available at 22/23

Yeah, makes sense. That's a nice position to be in unless someone picking between 17 and 22/23 decides to preempt that pick.

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Panthers better not. the picking after r1 was atrocious under Hurney. I think Gettleman is going to build a better board. Probably going to take Sheldon Richardson, if available, though could be Vacarro, Rhodes, Lotlulelei.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In hindsight, I wouldn't have drafted any of those in the first round, especially Ben or Rodgers.

And apparently your teams with their 0 Super Bowl wins feel the same way. You win in this league with star QBs. Those guys are proven winners and leaders. You'd be a special breed of stupid to pass on them in hindsight.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And apparently your teams with their 0 Super Bowl wins feel the same way. You win in this league with star QBs. Those guys are proven winners and leaders. You'd be a special breed of stupid to pass on them in hindsight.

That came out wrong. I mean without knowing what I know now, I wouldn't at the time have drafted those players in the first round. Okay, well stick to your strategy of wasting your first pick on QBs and see where that gets you. History proves me right.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think "safe" positions are going to do very well this year. It's going to be a very prosperous night for OL and DL and a long wait for most QBs.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is this a hindsight question or a draft day question?? But as long as the Jets do not draft a QB in the first round with the 9 or 13 then they can not fuck up the their draft... They are not playing for this season anyways... I do hope they draft a pass rusher with one of those picks, but they have too many holes that anyone drafted is going to be a needed position...

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Cleveland picks the guys they need, but lets be honest does it matter this yr anyway. The team is still young and inexperienced :L

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is this a hindsight question or a draft day question?? But as long as the Jets do not draft a QB in the first round with the 9 or 13 then they can not fuck up the their draft... They are not playing for this season anyways... I do hope they draft a pass rusher with one of those picks, but they have too many holes that anyone drafted is going to be a needed position...

Jets have to go pass rusher/o-line, or pass rusher/pass rusher. Mingo is the popular mock draft pick at 9, but I could see them going Jarvis Jones at 13.

I think the Jets are in good hands if Idzik can evern partially duplicate what he's done with the Seahawks.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really think that drafting a QB super high is as big of a risk as it once was... Without having to pay a stupid high amount to a top pick like it used to be, all things being equal now, the risk of taking a QB is less now to me.

I mean, if you are paying the same (relatively nominal amount) to either a QB or a OL, wouldn't you think that you would be worth the risk now to try out the QB? We've seen that a QB can make a huge difference.

Example (not accurate numbers)
2012 - A first round pick costs you 20 million... Take someone who is more likely to contribute over a long period of time to maximize your money

2013 - A first round pick costs you 7 million... Take a risk, it won't cost you as much if it doesn't work out.

Make sense?

That said, there isn't any standout QBs this year

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, it all depends on each team's situation. Drafting a QB high isn't bad if tnere is a supporting cast in place or he'll spend some time learning the system (Rodgers).

But if they're simply being thrown into the fire and expected to completely carry a team, they'll get their heads kicked in and probably wind up sucking (David Carr).

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, it all depends on each team's situation. Drafting a QB high isn't bad if tnere is a supporting cast in place or he'll spend some time learning the system (Rodgers).

But if they're simply being thrown into the fire and expected to completely carry a team, they'll get their heads kicked in and probably wind up sucking (David Carr).

Exactly, and teams so often get this WRONG.

Risking a top pick for a risky-good QB is not such a big deal when your team is stable and stacked. But tossing a first-round QB into organizations that don't have stable OLs and DLs is suicide in my opinion. You're mortgaging the future of your franchise and nothing more. It takes years and it's cyclical but drafting physically dominant OL and DL in the first rounds every year would be my strategy. I'd get my QB in free agency with all the salary cap room I had left and then be able to go after that once-in-a-generation Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck.